Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2014 10:20:43 PM EDT
I'm 30 yrs old, 5'9"  and 145 lbs.  I workout 3 day per week and have been doing so consistently for 4 months.  I'd like to gain another 10-15 lbs. And yes, I eat everything in sight whenever possible.

I'm currently using GNC Raw Re-Built Mass Gainer(tastes terrible) & Muscle Milk RTD (delicious) for post-workout.  I'd prefer to have protein with creatine mixed in.  Thinking about trying Monster Milk (3g Creatine).

What supplements do you use or recommend?  Anything else that's worked for you?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
GOMAD and heavy squats.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
What are your calorie counts/day for the last week?  Month?

Seriously quit buying the mass gainer. it's crap.

Buy gallons and gallons of whole milk  (+/- chocolate).  

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:33:44 AM EDT
[#3]
"Hard gainers" is a myth. You can't fool science. You aren't special, you just don't eat enough. Eat more. Track your calories. Eat like it's your job. Go get something to eat right now. Take snacks to work. If you can (i.e. you aren't allergic/LI), drink milk at every meal. Target 1/2 to 1 gal milk a day. You have to eat more EVERY day. Don't pat yourself on the back for killing a large pizza on Friday night and then have a light breakfast and salad for lunch of Saturday.

I was 5'11" and 125 lbs at 19. I'm 215 lbs now. I used to think I ate a lot and that I would never gain weight. Of course, I used to think 2 hrs on chest, shoulders, back, tris and bis would make me hyooooge.

ETA: What worked for me? 3-4 eggs for breakfast. Snacks at work. 2 double cheeseburger combos from McDonalds for lunch 5 days/week for several months.  Big dinner. 1/2+ gal milk a day. I averaged around 4000 calories a day. 3x/week I did heavy compounds (SS, TM, Madcow).

I did it dirty though. If I had it to do all over again, I would eat 500 or so over maintenance. Evaluate after 2-3 months. Adjust up (only up) as required until I hit desired weight.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GOMAD and heavy squats.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.  

What program are you doing?  Thats a huge part of the deal as well.  If you are not stressing your body in a way that forces it to adapt...it won't.

If I were you I'd buy and read the book starting strength and FOLLOW the program.  It was designed for someone just like you...who wants to add muscular body weight.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Squat.

At least 90% of the people in the gym don't, or half ass it, if you do it for real your body will change.

Eat calorie rich food, and that includes fats. Don't skimp on fats or you will not gain.

Drink a protein shake before bed, mix it with milk. Your gains happen out of the gym, you need to stay in the black with protein and calories.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Squat.

At least 90% of the people in the gym don't, or half ass it, if you do it for real your body will change.

Eat calorie rich food, and that includes fats. Don't skimp on fats or you will not gain.

Drink a protein shake before bed, mix it with milk. Your gains happen out of the gym, you need to stay in the black with protein and calories.
View Quote

I am by no means a bad A...but this is true.  My entire body structure changed from heavy squats over time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#7]
2 scoops chocolate protein powder, 1/3 cup of oats, 1 banana and a little honey mixed in a blinder with 16 oz of milk. Drink that with your breakfast and then good luck not gaining weight.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I've drank so much milk over the last few months that a heel spur (calcium deposit) has formed on the bottom of my right heel. I eat anywhere from 3000-4000 calories per day. When I started a few months ago, I weighed 140 so I've gained some weight, however I just wanted to see if anyone had some recommendations for faster gains. I eat so much now that I'm sick. It's not fun and it's not easy.

As far as programming, I do Crossfit 3 days per week. I did put that in the OP because I didn't want to derail the discussion. I like it and I'm going to continue to do it because it pushes me further/harder than going at it alone. I have a GREAT coach and programming and I don't want to change it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've drank so much milk over the last few months that a heel spur (calcium deposit) has formed on the bottom of my right heel. I eat anywhere from 3000-4000 calories per day. When I started a few months ago, I weighed 140 so I've gained some weight, however I just wanted to see if anyone had some recommendations for faster gains. I eat so much now that I'm sick. It's not fun and it's not easy.

As far as programming, I do Crossfit 3 days per week. I did put that in the OP because I didn't want to derail the discussion. I like it and I'm going to continue to do it because it pushes me further/harder than going at it alone. I have a GREAT coach and programming and I don't want to change it.

Thanks.
View Quote

I like Crossfit, and I think it can be a great program if done properly and it aligns with your goals.

The fact is though, that unless you're keeping your CF workouts very short and heavy (under probably 5 minutes) it IS making it a lot harder for you to gain weight.

So you can do whatever you want, but you need to consider your goals and priorities.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I may be wrong, but crossfit that is like doing a ton of conditioning isn't conducive to adding a lot of body weight.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I may be wrong, but crossfit that is like doing a ton of conditioning isn't conducive to adding a lot of body weight.
View Quote

No you're not wrong, but it CAN be done if programmed properly.

For example, if your workouts are like this:

5 Min
Ladder up
225# squat clean
pullups

You're probably going to be fine.

OTOH if you're doing something like:

4 rounds
800m run
30 pullups
30 kettlebell swings

You'll never gain weight.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

5 Min
Ladder up
225# squat clean
pullups

4 rounds
800m run
30 pullups
30 kettlebell swings

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 Min
Ladder up
225# squat clean
pullups

4 rounds
800m run
30 pullups
30 kettlebell swings

Here's an example of last weeks workouts:

Monday
21-15-9 (reps)
Power Cleans (135 lbs)
Box Jumps 24"

Wednesday
5 Rds
6 HSPU
8 Strict Pullups
10 Push Press (95 lbs)

Friday
12 Min AMRAP
6 Front Squats (135 lbs)
50 ft Lunges (35 lb plate)
8 TTB
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Monday
21-15-9 (reps)
Power Cleans (135 lbs)
Box Jumps 24"

Wednesday
5 Rds
6 HSPU
8 Strict Pullups
10 Push Press (95 lbs)

Friday
12 Min AMRAP
6 Front Squats (135 lbs)
8 TTB
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5 Min
Ladder up
225# squat clean
pullups

4 rounds
800m run
30 pullups
30 kettlebell swings

Monday
21-15-9 (reps)
Power Cleans (135 lbs)
Box Jumps 24"

Wednesday
5 Rds
6 HSPU
8 Strict Pullups
10 Push Press (95 lbs)

Friday
12 Min AMRAP
6 Front Squats (135 lbs)
8 TTB

If I was 140# and my primary goal was weight gain I'd cut that back or modify.
Monday could be heavier with fewer reps.

Wedensday maybe 3 rounds.
Friday heavier and shorter.

You have to figure out your priorities.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2 scoops chocolate protein powder, 1/3 cup of oats, 1 banana and a little honey mixed in a blinder with 16 oz of milk. Drink that with your breakfast and then good luck not gaining weight.
View Quote

I forgot the big scoop of peanut butter.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:13:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"Hard gainers" is a myth. You can't fool science. You aren't special, you just don't eat enough. Eat more. Track your calories. Eat like it's your job. Go get something to eat right now. Take snacks to work. If you can (i.e. you aren't allergic/LI), drink milk at every meal. Target 1/2 to 1 gal milk a day. You have to eat more EVERY day. Don't pat yourself on the back for killing a large pizza on Friday night and then have a light breakfast and salad for lunch of Saturday.

I was 5'11" and 125 lbs at 19. I'm 215 lbs now. I used to think I ate a lot and that I would never gain weight. Of course, I used to think 2 hrs on chest, shoulders, back, tris and bis would make me hyooooge.

ETA: What worked for me? 3-4 eggs for breakfast. Snacks at work. 2 double cheeseburger combos from McDonalds for lunch 5 days/week for several months.  Big dinner. 1/2+ gal milk a day. I averaged around 4000 calories a day. 3x/week I did heavy compounds (SS, TM, Madcow).

I did it dirty though. If I had it to do all over again, I would eat 500 or so over maintenance. Evaluate after 2-3 months. Adjust up (only up) as required until I hit desired weight.
View Quote

This be true.^^^^^^

You can't get bigger unless you eat.

Plus you have to sleep.  You're body grows when you're sleeping.......

Six to 8 hours minimum every night when your lifting to get bigger.....

I'm approaching 60 now and my joints are screwed from lifting heavy.......

But if I had to do it over again I wouldn't change anything........

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Lots of calories and lifting heavy weights, throw some creating in there for good measure.  If you like cross fit stick with it, but you will never make big gains doing that much cardio  without spending some quality time with the heavy iron. Lifting heavy weight is what grows muscle tissue
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#19]
When I started lifting I was ~155#s. I ate the fuck out of the buffet at pizza hut.

Those days are over though
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to have a hard time gaining weight. I was about your size and weight at 30. I bulked to 200 doing heavy workouts and eating a lot of food. Worst decision I ever made. I got stronger but I got a lot fatter also. It took me a long time to lose the fat and now it seems easier to gain it back. Just gaining 5 lbs of muscle a year will add up in 5 years to an impressive amount of muscle and at that rate you won't have a bunch of fat to lose.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When I started lifting I was ~155#s. I ate the fuck out of the buffet at pizza hut.

Those days are over though
View Quote

Yeah that buffet sucks now.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I used to have a hard time gaining weight. I was about your size and weight at 30. I bulked to 200 doing heavy workouts and eating a lot of food. Worst decision I ever made. I got stronger but I got a lot fatter also. It took me a long time to lose the fat and now it seems easier to gain it back. Just gaining 5 lbs of muscle a year will add up in 5 years to an impressive amount of muscle and at that rate you won't have a bunch of fat to lose.

View Quote

That's called getting old.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did this (minus the honey) for a while and it definitely worked.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I started this semester at 170. I weigh 190 now. That's 20 pounds in 4 months and that's without getting optimal sleep. I usually get 4-5. I'm doing 5/3/1 and Boring but big, and I would follow Wendlers meal plan in the book- 30-50 grams of protein from meat, serving of veggies, whatever carbs you can cram, and a protein shake with 12oz of whole milk with protein. That's every meal, and you need to do it 4x a day. Now that I'm on break, and I can get quality sleep, I'm going for 205 by mid January. You have to EAT, I'm a hard gainer, and I can eat the house, but it's about consistency. IMO, I wouldn't do the huge shake for breakfast, because you'll feel full and then reason that it's okay to skip your next meal because of the massive shake you had, then next thing you know, you're only eating 3x a day. I drink protein shakes 3-4x a day not for the protein, but because it's easy calories. After a meal if you slam a shake with 12-16 oz of whole milk and protein and nothing else, it's so easy and it's about 400 easy calories right there, 4x a day and you're at 1600 just from you're drinks. I also mik Modern BCAA and Creatine NOW Monohydrate as my workout drink. I don't think the creative has hit me yet, as I haven't been drinking enough water, but it should over this break.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Check out Kris Gethins muscle builder that he just released on bb.com
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GOMAD and heavy squats.

Hmm. The first six months of this year, I gained 4 lbs per month, eating regular food. The only milk I had was a small amount in a bowl of cereal three times a week, and my squatting was self-assisted, one-quarter squats at bodyweight only.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hmm. The first six months of this year, I gained 4 lbs per month, eating regular food. The only milk I had was a small amount in a bowl of cereal three times a week, and my squatting was self-assisted, one-quarter squats at bodyweight only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GOMAD and heavy squats.

Why in the world would you only do 1/4 squats? Unless medical condition.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GOMAD and heavy squats.

I have almost zero leg strength, due to a neurological disorder.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GOMAD and heavy squats.

Unlike Hank, Stanc has a good reason for 1/4 squats.

Boom, nailed it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#34]
You know I love you Hank.

I was in Memphis last weekend and was going to hit you up but I ran into a bottle of scotch on Beale street and forgot.

Next time...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]
For sure man
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GOMAD and heavy squats.

OK. It getting any better since lifting?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first six months of this year, I gained 4 lbs per month, eating regular food. The only milk I had was a small amount in a bowl of cereal three times a week, and my squatting was self-assisted, one-quarter squats at bodyweight only.

Unfortunately, no. In fact, my legs feel like they might even be weaker now than six months ago. However, it's very difficult to gage change in leg strength, since in self-assisted squats I'm using my arms to help me do the movement.

During my last leg day, I switched to (self-assisted) 1/2 squats, in case the greater range of motion might possibly be of benefit. Of course, 1/2 squats necessarily means my arms are doing even more of the work than with 1/4 squats.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Bulking For Ectomorphs

This has the shakes someone else mention with protein, PB, oats, honey, and milk and the ratios for specific caloric amounts.

Also some other good info here.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, no. In fact, my legs feel like they might even be weaker now than six months ago. However, it's very difficult to gage change in leg strength, since in self-assisted squats I'm using my arms to help me do the movement.

During my last leg day, I switched to (self-assisted) 1/2 squats, in case the greater range of motion might possibly be of benefit. Of course, 1/2 squats necessarily means my arms are doing even more of the work than with 1/4 squats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first six months of this year, I gained 4 lbs per month, eating regular food. The only milk I had was a small amount in a bowl of cereal three times a week, and my squatting was self-assisted, one-quarter squats at bodyweight only.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully the work will help.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 1:34:13 AM EDT
[#41]
All the hard gainer shit is nonsense. 4 months is not a lot of time. Crossfit is not great for mass. 10-15lbs of lean muscle could be a year of dedicated lifting.

Lift heavy, all muscle groups or you are just cheating yourself. 5/3/1 for example.

Eat big, carbs and protein bruh.

Sleep. Recovery is key.

Time. Most people who think they are "hard gainers" are just not seeing results fast enough and get discouraged, or they are not sticking to routine/diet.

I've had good quick results in both mass and strength from d-aspartic acid if you want a little help. Do your own research and decide on that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top