Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 11:54:10 AM EDT
I want to hang my muay thai bag in my garage. My garage is completely sheet rocked and insulated, so I'd rather not have to cut into it. I was thinking of getting a steel plate and welding a ring to it, and then drilling 3 or 4 holes on each side of the plate and running lag bolts into the studs. Think this will work? Any other ideas? I also want to be able to remove the bag when it is not in use so I can store it out of the way.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#1]
By muay thai bag do you mean just the longer heavy bag?  Also, how much does it weigh?

The simplest thing is just to drill a lag bolt into a beam and hang it.  It's easy to take down and put up.  The downside is that when you're working the bag everyone in your house will know.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish by welding a plate to hang above it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

By muay thai bag do you mean just the longer heavy bag?  Also, how much does it weigh?

The simplest thing is just to drill a lag bolt into a beam and hang it.  It's easy to take down and put up.  The downside is that when you're working the bag everyone in your house will know.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish by welding a plate to hang above it.
View Quote

Yes, it's a 7 ft tall bag, weights 150 lbs. I'm just worried about a single 2x4 would be enough to hold it. My thought with the plate is I can attach it to two 2x4's, and have a ring in the middle of the plate to attach the bag. That way I can spread of of the weight around so it's not all on one 2x4.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you hanging it from the ceiling or wall?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

Ceiling.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I took a 2x10 and laged it into 3 different rafters then laged the bag into the 2x10.  Has been like that for 10 years with weekly use.  Like RBL said everyone in the house will know when you are using it. Putting a spring like this helped.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ceiling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ceiling.

The joists in your ceiling should be larger than 2x4s, unless trusses were used.

You need to check to see if they are braced together well. If they are not and you connect the bag to them the shaking could loosen your sheetrock.

I would use something to span multiple joists to distribute the load and avoid twisting them back and forth.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I took a 2x10 and laged it into 3 different rafters then laged the bag into the 2x10.  Has been like that for 10 years with weekly use.  Like RBL said everyone in the house will know when you are using it. Putting a spring like this helped.
View Quote

This is what I did. Though I used a 2x6 across 4 joists and then another shorter 2x6 across the inner 2 of those 4 joists. Mostly did the 2nd 2x6  to give my more tooth for the big eye bolt I used. It was probably overkill. I like overkill. I think my bag is 100#. Its been there for over a year but I have not really been working it over very hard or very often.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I mounted one in my finished garage several years ago and haven't had any problems.  I had a question, where it says "gap in inches?" and made a ms paint sketch of what I did.  It's crude but gives a rough idea. My aim was to spread the load to 2 joists.  ...In addition to the spring shown above, here's the hardware I used. http://store.titleboxing.com/heavy-duty-wood-beam-hanger.html

The MT bag below was the original bag, but since that photo, I've switched to a shorter bag of the same weight.

A closer look at the spring mount and you can see how neatly the eye bolt comes out of the finished ceiling.

eta...the answer to my question about the gap was, don't leave any gap.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:08:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I mounted one in my finished garage several years ago and haven't had any problems.  I had a question, where it says "gap in inches?" and made a ms paint sketch of what I did.  It's crude but gives a rough idea. My aim was to spread the load to 2 joists.  ...In addition to the spring shown above, here's the hardware I used. http://store.titleboxing.com/heavy-duty-wood-beam-hanger.html

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/Mjolnir_AR15/TopView_zpsfacb04dd.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/Mjolnir_AR15/Bestsideview_zpsc211f041.jpg

The MT bag below was the original bag, but since that photo, I've switched to a shorter bag of the same weight.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/Mjolnir_AR15/downsized_0501001707a.jpg

A closer look at the spring mount and you can see how neatly the eye bolt comes out of the finished ceiling.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/Mjolnir_AR15/2011-12-12224744_zpsc7657490.jpg
eta...the answer to my question about the gap was, don't leave any gap.
View Quote

Thanks! That is kind of what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#10]
The only problem with my plan is it's a real bitch to take the bag down and re-hang it.  You'll need a partner to hook it up while you hold it.  I've seen other plans on the net where someone made a rail out of pipes and mounted the pipes to their ceiling joists.  The bag can be slid along the pipe to it's workout location and back against the wall when you don't need it.  It looked like a clever idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top