Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2014 5:29:59 PM EDT
After looking at my posture, I realized I need to work my backside a lot more. My rear delts are weak and I've got that forward pelvic tilt that they say is from tight hip flexors and weak hamstrings. I sit all day at work and that's supposed to cause it. Probably part of why my lower back has been bothering me. I've been doing a push/pull/legs workout. I'm was going to keep doing it but with less chest and quad work and more back, glute, and hamstring exercises. How does something like this sound? I was thinking about doing this for 12 weeks and then going back to traditional PPL with heavy back squats and bench.

No breaks between exercises and 1 minute breaks between sets. I work out on Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday

Leg Day

Over Head Squats 3x15

Leg Curl 2x8-10

Hip Flexor 2x8-10

Leg Curl 2x8-10

Hip Abduction 2x15-20

Leg Curl 2x8-10

Calves 2x15-20

Stiff Leg Dead lift 2x8-10

Planks

Hanging Leg raise

Stretch hip flexor and quads

Push

Bench 3x8-10

Seated Face Pull 2x8-10

Over Head Press 3x8-10

Seated Face Pull 2x8-10

Dips 3 sets to fail

Seated Face Pulls 2x8-10

Tricept push down 3x8-10

Planks

Hanging leg raise

Pull

Trap bar dead lifts 3x10

Wide grip pull ups 25 total with 1 minute breaks

Inverted Row 2x8-10

Close grip pull ups 25 total

Seated row 2x8-10

Reverse Fly 3x8-10

Shrugs 2x10-15

Planks

Hanging leg raise

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After looking at my posture, I realized I need to work my backside a lot more. My rear delts are weak and I've got that forward pelvic tilt that they say is from tight hip flexors and weak hamstrings. I sit all day at work and that's supposed to cause it. Probably part of why my lower back has been bothering me. I've been doing a push/pull/legs workout. I'm was going to keep doing it but with less chest and quad work and more back, glute, and hamstring exercises. How does something like this sound? I was thinking about doing this for 12 weeks and then going back to traditional PPL with heavy back squats and bench.

No breaks between exercises and 1 minute breaks between sets. I work out on Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday

Leg Day
Over Head Squats 3x15
Leg Curl 2x8-10
Hip Flexor 2x8-10
Leg Curl 2x8-10
Hip Abduction 2x15-20
Leg Curl 2x8-10
Calves 2x15-20
Planks
Hanging Leg raise

Push
Bench 3x8-10
Seated Face Pull 2x8-10
Over Head Press 3x8-10
Seated Face Pull 2x8-10
Dips 3 sets to fail
Seated Face Pulls 2x8-10
Tricept push down 3x8-10
Planks
Hanging leg raise

Pull
Trap bar dead lifts 3x10
Inverted Row 2x8-10
Seated row 2x8-10
Reverse Fly 3x8-10
Shrugs 2x10-15
Planks
Hanging leg raise
View Quote

Is that also the order of exercises you do?  Why inverted row (no pendlay, bent or DB)?  What about back extensions and/or good mornings?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the order. Good suggestion I probably should switch out the the inverted row for bent rows. I do back extensions just forgot to list them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Leg Day
Over Head Squats 3x15
Leg Curl 2x8-10
Hip Flexor 2x8-10
Leg Curl 2x8-10
Hip Abduction 2x15-20
Leg Curl 2x8-10
Calves 2x15-20
Planks
Hanging Leg raise

Push
Bench 3x8-10
Seated Face Pull 2x8-10
Over Head Press 3x8-10
Seated Face Pull 2x8-10
Dips 3 sets to fail
Seated Face Pulls 2x8-10
Tricept push down 3x8-10
Planks
Hanging leg raise

Pull
Trap bar dead lifts 3x10
Inverted Row 2x8-10
Seated row 2x8-10
Reverse Fly 3x8-10
Shrugs 2x10-15
Planks
Hanging leg raise
View Quote

Thats a lot of exercises! What are your goals? primary strength or primary size (body building)? I couldnt do that. My joints would be killing me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's the order. Good suggestion I probably should switch out the the inverted row for bent rows. I do back extensions just forgot to list them.
View Quote

Also cleans for more compound movements also upright rows for accessory.  If you have the ability and equipment; power cleans, clean deads, clean pulls, hang variations.  Same for snatch grip stuff; snatch deads, etc.

So why 3 different sets of leg curls and 2 of face pulls?  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also cleans for more compound movements also upright rows for accessory.  If you have the ability and equipment; power cleans, clean deads, clean pulls, hang variations.  Same for snatch grip stuff; snatch deads, etc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm trying this to correct some posture problems I've noticed. That's why I'm doing the extra leg curls and face pulls. Basically trying to strengthen the back and stretch the front. That's why I have the extra sets of those. I don't plan to do it more than about 12 weeks.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Thats a lot of exercises! What are your goals? primary strength or primary size (body building)? I couldnt do that. My joints would be killing me.
View Quote

I did the leg day already and was done in an hour not counting cardio to warm up and cool down. Primary goal for this is better posture.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the idea from this page. Didn't feel like completely stopping squats, bench, and presses though. Scroll down to Postural Programs workout

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162916931&p=1266578971#post1266578971
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like an awful lot of shit to do.  And almost as if you are doing cardio.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I usually do about half that amount at 3 to 5 reps per set so it's a change for me. If it ends up being too much, I'll cut it back.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah I usually do about half that amount at 3 to 5 reps per set so it's a change for me. If it ends up being too much, I'll cut it back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you doing a lot of deads and squats before? You say you have a forward pelvic lean? You do front squats?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess I'm pretty old school about this sorta thing,  but if posture and being weak are the issues,  I always thought compound barbell lifts will give better results than machines.

A strong core and a strong posterior chain will fix up any posture issues.

Also, I'm still not sold on overhead squats.  Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's beneficial.  Most people can back or front squat more weight without the added risk of injury.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Were you doing a lot of deads and squats before? You say you have a forward pelvic lean? You do front squats?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mostly back squats and bench. I've had trouble doing deads with any decent weight because it bothers my lower back. I think it might be because of that pelvic tilt. I'm hoping if I get that corrected I can start doing heavy dead lifts again.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I guess I'm pretty old school about this sorta thing,  but if posture and being weak are the issues,  I always thought compound barbell lifts will give better results than machines.

Also, I'm still not sold on overhead squats.  Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's beneficial.  Most people can back or front squat more weight without the added risk of injury.

View Quote

strong core and a strong posterior chain is what I'm trying to do. I only put in overheads because I was supposed to limit or eliminate quad & chest exercises. I figured light weight overheads will at least keep me squatting. I feel the overheads more in my core than legs. The only machine work is hips and the cable rows. I try to avoid machines also but the hip machines have really helped me. I was getting a yearly cortisone shot in the left hip for bursitis. It got so bad sometimes I couldn't lift my leg up to the side more than 2 inches unless I was warmed up. I've seen a 90% improvement in that hip since I started light weight abduction exercises. I think it gets blood flow into that area and lets it heal. I'm a fencer so I lunge hard off that leg repeatedly. It's a one sided sport which probably adds to the problem.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:11:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mostly back squats and bench. I've had trouble doing deads with any decent weight because it bothers my lower back. I think it might be because of that pelvic tilt. I'm hoping if I get that corrected I can start doing heavy dead lifts again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forget the overhead squats and do front squats. Take video of your form and post.

And when you say heavy deads what kind if weight were you doing?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been doing these with no weight on the off days also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBLGvWKE_JQ
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Forget the overhead squats and do front squats. Take video of your form and post.

View Quote

Few years back I was over 350 for singles at 170 lbs. I stopped lifting for a couple years and started back last year. Now 135 hurts my back with a normal bar. The trap bar feels okay. Same with squats my legs feel like they could push a lot more but when I get over 200 my back starts to hurt. The pain is all in the SI joint on one side. I'm 99% it's not a disc. I think it's bad posture causing pain in the SI joint.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree completely, except I think OHS are great- they work the core a lot, and they also build a lot of flexibility which is a good thing. I honestly don't see any exceptional risk in OHS. I don't think I've ever seen an injury from one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#18]
im not sure why you are cutting deads when you want stronger glutes/back. DL, GHR and pendlay rows have helped my back pain. I just pulled 405 for the first time today.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Few years back I was over 350 for singles at 170 lbs. I stopped lifting for a couple years and started back last year. Now 135 hurts my back with a normal bar. The trap bar feels okay. Same with squats my legs feel like they could push a lot more but when I get over 200 my back starts to hurt. The pain is all in the SI joint on one side. I'm 99% it's not a disc. I think it's bad posture causing pain in the SI joint.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Video yourself doing squats and deads from the side only way to be sure  what's going on.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

im not sure why you are cutting deads when you want stronger glutes/back. DL, GHR and pendlay rows have helped my back pain. I just pulled 405 for the first time today.
View Quote

I haven't cut deads. They are my first exercise on back day. I do them with the trap bar though. I'd love to try GHRs but the gym doesn't have that. I'm going to start adding in bent rows once my back feels up to it. I did 4 sets of light dead lifts today and that was enough. I'll just have to work up slowly I guess. By the end of the workout after stretching my hip flexors and quads my lower back felt pretty good.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Video yourself doing squats and deads from the side only way to be sure  what's going on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have a lifting partner but I'll try to get a video

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I agree completely, except I think OHS are great- they work the core a lot, and they also build a lot of flexibility which is a good thing. I honestly don't see any exceptional risk in OHS. I don't think I've ever seen an injury from one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OHS feel like they work my core harder than just about any other exercise I've tried

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I just set my phone on something and prop it up with a water bottle most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I haven't cut deads. They are my first exercise on back day. I do them with the trap bar though. I'd love to try GHRs but the gym doesn't have that. I'm going to start adding in bent rows once my back feels up to it. I did 4 sets of light dead lifts today and that was enough. I'll just have to work up slowly I guess. By the end of the workout after stretching my hip flexors and quads my lower back felt pretty good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you listed straight leg dls And they were pretty close to the bottom of your list.  It Looks like you are trying to cram too much into one session.  Try skipping most of your accessory work like leg curls and Focus on the important lifts.  Squats deadlifts bench overhead press. Take 3 mins between sets. I can barely walk after a good 5x5 set of squats or deads.
After I hurt my back I had to start nearly completely from scratch. I was doing 5x5 at 225 for both squats and deads at first. Add 5 pounds each week and you get stronger.
It can be simple and effective. Start with light weight, perfect form. Add weight each week. Eat. Get stronger.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

But you listed straight leg dls And they were pretty close to the bottom of your list.  It Looks like you are trying to cram too much into one session.  Try skipping most of your accessory work like leg curls and Focus on the important lifts.  Squats deadlifts bench overhead press. Take 3 mins between sets. I can barely walk after a good 5x5 set of squats or deads.

After I hurt my back I had to start nearly completely from scratch. I was doing 5x5 at 225 for both squats and deads at first. Add 5 pounds each week and you get stronger.

It can be simple and effective. Start with light weight, perfect form. Add weight each week. Eat. Get stronger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been doing 5x5 focusing on bench, OHP, pull ups, and back squats all year. I plan to go back to that once I get this lower back pain figured out. I'm at a sticking point because of my lower back. I'm trying to focus mostly on hamstrings, glutes, hips, and low back. I probably am cramming too much into one workout like you said. I normally do about half that much. I might cut out anything that's not posterior chain. I've felt a difference already. I don't think I was using my glutes or hamstrings when squatting and deadlifting. I can feel them working now. The article I read said when you sit all day for a job the hip flexors tighten causing the muscles in back to be constantly stretched so they can't contract correctly.

I'd be more than happy to be at 5x5 for 225 but I'm only 5' 7" 170 lbs.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#26]
For posterior chain supplemental work, it's hard to beat Romanian deads, cable pull throughs, kettlebell swings, and maybe barbell glute raises. GH raises are great, but obviously out if you don't have the machine. Cut out the leg/ hip isolation machines. Do some basic  stretching (getting into a full squat and holding it helped my hip, ankle, and lower back flexibility a ton; think of poor people in third world  countries with no chairs just squatting down and hanging out like that- that's what you want to go for).
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe see a chiro if your back is still hurting. I've been seeing one and feel great.
Check out kelly starretts becoming a supple leopard too. It's a great book for fixing movement issues.
Post a video of your lifts, there may be some fixes people here can pick out.
You've got to do something different, because what you are doing now isn't working.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

For posterior chain supplemental work, it's hard to beat Romanian deads, cable pull throughs, kettlebell swings, and maybe barbell glute raises. GH raises are great, but obviously out if you don't have the machine. Cut out the leg/ hip isolation machines. Do some basic  stretching (getting into a full squat and holding it helped my hip, ankle, and lower back flexibility a ton; think of poor people in third world  countries with no chairs just squatting down and hanging out like that- that's what you want to go for).
View Quote

Thanks I didn't think of RDLs pull throughs, and swings. I'm half tempted to buy a Glute Ham for my house. Sounds like a great exercise for posterior chain.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Maybe see a chiro if your back is still hurting. I've been seeing one and feel great.

Check out kelly starretts becoming a supple leopard too. It's a great book for fixing movement issues.

Post a video of your lifts, there may be some fixes people here can pick out.

You've got to do something different, because what you are doing now isn't working.
View Quote

I've got a good chiro been trying to avoid seeing him if possible though because I know it will be a 2 months of PT 3 times a week and my insurance doesn't cover him. The guy is a power lifter so I had him check my squat last time I was in there a couple years ago and he said it looked better than most but needed work. Of course he said most can't sit in a chair without falling back. I'll get a video posted next week when I do legs again.

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#30]
One thing that seems to help a lot is one leg glute raises with my shoulders on the bench. I've been doing 5 or 6 sets everyday this week and my back feels much better after doing them. I noticed one side is a good bit weaker than the other. The same side that hurts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmRY5FKJhjg
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, Ive been paying out of pocket for two years since theres no military chiro around here.

worth it to avoid back surgery.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I decided to ditch that workout and keep with my PPL workout I'd been doing. I just added core and back work everyday. I'd been doing back extensions but just static holds. I have a back extension bench I bought from a gym so I started doing them everyday along with reverse hypers. Big difference. I think my problem was a weak core and lower back. This was my push workout today. Tomorrow is squat day

Bench 5x8 with 2 warm up sets

OHP 5x8 with 2 warm up sets

Dips 3x15

OHP 3x6

Tricep push down 3x8

Everyday I've been doing

3 sets single leg glute raises

3 sets back extension just body weight for now

3 sets reverse hypers with body weight

3 set hanging leg raise

3 sets planks on ball while moving in circles on the ball  

stretching quad and hip flexor
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is where I am as well, I can't imagine a better way to fix posture than squats, deads, and some barbell rows.  IMO all that other stuff is not needed and is a lot of reps to put on joints.  I didn't have the best posture, and my lower back hurt for years...I have been doing the basic barbell movements for a couples years now and all that has been corrected.  No more back pain at all.  I am 40 years old for reference.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I decided to ditch that workout and keep with my PPL workout I'd been doing. I just added core and back work everyday. I'd been doing back extensions but just static holds. I have a back extension bench I bought from a gym so I started doing them everyday along with reverse hypers. Big difference. I think my problem was a weak core and lower back. This was my push workout today. Tomorrow is squat day

Dips 3x15
OHP 3x6
Tricep push down 3x8

Everyday I've been doing
3 set hanging leg raise
View Quote

You will get better results if you don't do OHP and Bench on the same day. Especially if you are doing a set of dips before OHP.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You will get better results if you don't do OHP and Bench on the same day. Especially if you are doing a set of dips before OHP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dips 3x15
OHP 3x6
Tricep push down 3x8

Everyday I've been doing
3 set hanging leg raise

Overall 100% better IMO.

I agree though. It took some experimenting for me when I was on 5/3/1 but I figured out pretty quickly that doing too much pressing in one day severely limited the effort I could put into it. I started doing press accessory on squat or DL day and was much better off.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#36]
yeah my triceps were pretty tried after the dips I should move them to another day. I don't take a very long break between sets either. Usually 2 minutes max. I get impatient and hate waiting around. I figured a way to do glute ham raises with no bench. You can use a barbell to hold your feet. I'll be trying these today. I'm going to keep the reps around 8-10 until my back feels 100% again and then go back to 3 to 5 reps.

Today

Squats 5x8-10

GHR 3 sets

RDL 2 sets 8-10

Calf Raises

Core work and back extensions
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Glute ham raises kicked my ass. I only made two sets. I must be doing something right because when I squat I feel in in my glutes and hamstrings now. I used to only feel in in my quads. I stayed with light sets of 135 for squats focusing on my form. My phone was dead as usual so no video this week.

The poor guy next to me had a trainer making him squat 115 for 10. You could tell he'd never squatted, he was all over the place and I heard him say my back hurts and the trainer just said one more. Made me hurt just to watch that. He was limping away but the guy brought him back for another set.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Since I shouldn't be doing OHP and Bench on the same day. How does this order look?

Bench

Bent Row

Dip

Face Pull

Shrug

Reverse Flys

Deadlift

OHP

WG Pull up

Dumb bell OHP

CG Pull up

Squat

Glute Ham Raise

RDL

Calf Raise
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Since I shouldn't be doing OHP and Bench on the same day. How does this order look?

Bench
Bent Row
Dip
Face Pull
Shrug
Reverse Flys

Deadlift
OHP
WG Pull up
Dumb bell OHP
CG Pull up

Squat
Glute Ham Raise
RDL
Calf Raise

View Quote

If your goal is strength get rid of calf raises and do front squats.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been doing calf raises since one of the sports I do works the calves really hard. It's where I fail first from muscle cramps. Seems like glute ham raises work the calves also since I could barley do calf raises after them. Even though it's been a short time, I've seen a big improvement so far. My back feels great. I used to be sore just bending over to pick stuff up. I think the back extensions and core work were what I needed. I've been working those every day and my back feels a lot stronger. I just started using 10 lbs weights for the extensions. The hanging leg raises are the other one that seem to help a lot. I squatted yesterday for sets of 10 at a heavier weight than I had been doing for 5 earlier and there was 99% less lower back  pain. I felt like I could have added a lot more weight but I'm going to increase 5 lbs a week and take it slow. I'm in no rush.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top