Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 12:14:31 AM EDT
So I have been making some great progress in my lifts over the last month and done change, feeling stronger than ever. Only thing is I'm starting to hurt a little. Back, knees and elbows have been getting pretty sore after lifting hard. Never really had to much issue with it, and have been lifting "heavy" for a while now.

Anybody else go through this from time to time?

A friend said it was caused by a new test booster I got on, something about it increasing inflammation after lifting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe it's time to cut back some and work back up to where you were/are, give your body more time to adapt..
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Sure.  Could just be time for a deload.  Take a few days to a week off or go light.  

How's your recovery?  Food and sleep would be first but massage, contrast showers and the occasional chiro visit have worked for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:05:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I recommend scaling back for a while or at bare minimum having someone skilled on the topic closely watch the form on your compound lifts to help to troubleshoot errors that may be leading to aches and pains.  You may also want to look into joint support supplements.  Dehydration can also lead to joint pain too.... On a side note I have a litany of sports injuries almost all of which relate to heavy lifting/power lifting.  Before anyone says it...I used proper form and almost always had a good spotter, I just wasn't built for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recommend scaling back for a while or at bare minimum having someone skilled on the topic closely watch the form on your compound lifts to help to troubleshoot errors that may be leading to aches and pains.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I recommend scaling back for a while or at bare minimum having someone skilled on the topic closely watch the form on your compound lifts to help to troubleshoot errors that may be leading to aches and pains.  

Not bad advice.

You may also want to look into joint support supplements.  Dehydration can also lead to joint pain too....

Ok

On a side note I have a litany of sports injuries almost all of which relate to heavy lifting/power lifting.  Before anyone says it...I used proper form and almost always had a good spotter, I just wasn't built for it.

You special snowflake you...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#5]
It happens, particularly as you get stronger. Not catastrophic injuries, but tendon and joint soreness. Funny thing is, deads and squats never bothered me, but once I started lifting pretty heavy on preacher curls (the go to biceps movement whenever I wanted to do a little arm work), I got pretty bad tendon pain in one arm. Turns out the preacher bench setup places a lot of stress on the elbow. Basically, you can get away with quite a bit of bad form and/or bad exercise selection when you're not lifting very heavy. But as you get stronger, the effects become more severe, and at some point your joints or connective tissues are going to get more than they can take, which means it's time to re-evaluate what you're doing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in pain as we speak.  Foam rolling, Alleve and hot tub is how I fix myself.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice guys, think its time for a deload. Been at it hard and heavy since April without much break in the action. Might take a week of recovery and get back at it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice guys, think its time for a deload. Been at it hard and heavy since April without much break in the action. Might take a week of recovery and get back at it.
View Quote

I would recommend that you not be afraid to drop some accessory lifts if you are developing joint pain.  I had to cut back on pull ups from 3-days a week to two days a week and stop doing curls all togather due to "tennis" elbow.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I do two months of bulking and 4-6 of high rep, lower weight (not cutting). Lately it has been more reps and less weight and less bulking

I feel much better, less aches and pains, when lifting lighter. I'm getting to the point that I feel like really heavy lifting isn't worth it. I have to have surgery later this year due to heavy lifting, as I tore my labrum an part of my distal bicep a few months ago.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

try incorporating them more often. Ive seen anywhere from every 4-6 weeks. I like every 4 and its been good for the past year for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top