Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Myfitnesspal works.  I use it and Runkeeper for estimating calories burned when cycling, walking, or hiking.  I also wear a heart rate monitor when I exercise, especially when I am in the gym on an elliptical or treadmill.

In 2011, I lost 84 (280 -> 196) lbs from March 1st to Thanksgiving.  My wife, kids, and parents thought I looked too skinny.  No one recognized me.  I have gained about a third back.  I am on the way back down again.  I am probably going to shoot for 210 lbs.

You have to be very honest and accurate about what you are eating.  I only eat back about half of my exercise calories.  When I lost the 84 lbs, I honestly didn't go over on my calorie goal from march to thanksgiving.  I logged in and tracked every calorie eaten for that time period.  I was motivated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No reason you can't lose fat while lifting weights. Diet is going to be 90% of your battle though. After you get a routine down it will be a lot easier to meet your calorie and macro goals.

And make sure to drink lots of water. That will keep you from wanting to drink bad stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^^^

Thanks for the reply!  I guess I should clarify, I want to loose fat and gain muscle second.

I know it will be tough to do both.  I ate like shit prior to the diet, so in theory cleaning up my diet I should loose some of my flab.

No reason you can't lose fat while lifting weights. Diet is going to be 90% of your battle though. After you get a routine down it will be a lot easier to meet your calorie and macro goals.

And make sure to drink lots of water. That will keep you from wanting to drink bad stuff.

Water has become my friend. Especially when poured over coffee beans

At this point while putting in calories I can see where I can "afford" a pop. Too many calories for zero nutrition.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

At this point while putting in calories I can see where I can "afford" a pop. Too many calories for zero nutrition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^^^^

Thanks for the reply!  I guess I should clarify, I want to loose fat and gain muscle second.

I know it will be tough to do both.  I ate like shit prior to the diet, so in theory cleaning up my diet I should loose some of my flab.

My problem is coffee makes me hungry, really hungry for some reason. I feel like I haven't eaten for days unless I drink it after a meal.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I used MFP to lose almost 40lbnlast year. Then we had a baby and the stress eating and sleep deprivation killed my diet, I've gained about 12 back. Trying to get back on the wagon, using the phone app to track stuff. My big problem is grazing. If I'm in the kitchen doing dishes I can easily eat 300cal of garbage out of boredom. MFP keeps me honest, and at 1980cal/day I don't have to be starving to see weight come off. Right before the baby was born I was at my lowest weight since freshman year of college (aka a good while ago).
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Just started using it last week. Pretty helpful in realizing how much nasty shit I snack on.

All my meals are pretty reasonable and healthy, the snacking on shit kills me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't understand why there isn't a section for calories burned while lifting.
View Quote

Actually there is but it's under cardiovascular, as strange as that may seem.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a fitbit a couple weeks ago. It's prety cool how they work together.MFP will show data from the fitbit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand why there isn't a section for calories burned while lifting.

I typed in some stuff and nothing came up. So I just said I walked for 30 minutes.  Probably about the same as an hour strength workout.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#9]
IIRC it's listed under strength training.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Wife convinced me to start using it. Just downloaded it last week There is saturated fat in everything I like

I went from 215 to 155 on my own 10 years ago. Had bumped back up to 175. I'm down to 168 as of today
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
IIRC it's listed under strength training.
View Quote

Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got MFP on my phone and have been logging everything I'm eating.  I would guess I have been eating easily 3,000-4,000 calories daily.  I used to be pretty strict on eating out once a week 5-10 years ago and everything else I cooked at home.  I was 20-30lbs over weight then but after getting married and my wife having our first baby this past year I gained even more.  I topped out on the scales at 280lbs the week of Christmas and I decided I've got to do something or else I'm going to be 300lbs before long.  I'm only 5'9" and my knees where starting to feel the strain at only 32.

I started by cutting out extra sugar that I didn't need.  I've had one Ginger Ale since New Years after I got sick and lost my breakfast Wednesday this week.  Drinking black coffee no sugar or creamer, or unsweetened tea for caffiene.  I've got the MFP set to sedentary since I'm not very active around the house and I work nights.  Once it warms up a little I plan on trying to walk a couple miles 3-4 days a week and be more active.  I've been drinking lots of water and eating a lot better since I've been recording what I'm eating.

My daily calorie intake is 2,250 on Sedentary.  So far I am down 7 lbs since January 1st.  My goal is to keep the weight off not just lose it.  I would like to be under 240 lbs by September, which I think is pretty realistic.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top