User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2014 3:22:06 PM EDT
Anyone use it?

Working for me so I can see exactly what I'm eating
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I love it, once you get all the foods in it that you eat on a regular basis it doesn't take long to record your meals.

I throw the data in excel and Spotfire and look at the trends too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought I was doing good. But using this shows me I've been killing myself with my snacks
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought I was doing good. But using this shows me I've been killing myself with my snacks
View Quote

Exactly, I thought I was getting plenty of protein. Once you start tracking it you realize how easy it is to eat way more than you planned.

I also realized how easy it is to eat way more carbs than you planned. It's hard to get snacks that aren't loaded with fat and carbs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using it for the past month. I have it set for 50% fat, 30% protein and 20% carbs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I know I'm killing myself on dinners too. But until I get the hang of working full time and taking care of a 4 mth old, frozen dinners from Schwanns is what I can do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Anyone use it?

View Quote

Working for me so I can see exactly what I'm eating
MFP has literally changed my life.

I mean, I guess it's not really, functionally, any better than a food diary but it definitely keeps those gd donuts out of my mouth. 14 pounds down since I started using Sep1. 2500 calories a day is plenty, I just can't eat bullshit. This keeps me honest, and forces me to make the choice between Donut or Lunch.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
5-6 days per week I use it...

Great program.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My handle is annakay05

Come add me and we can cheer each other on!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using it since early August.  Down from 222 to about 192.  Trying to hit 170, then I'll switch it up to maintain.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using MFP since May and am down 95 lbs as of this morning (started on May 15, 2014 at 350 lbs, weighed in this morning at 255 lbs).  MFP makes it so easy to track food intake, as long as you're honest about it, that I can't think of a good excuse to not use it.

ETA - fixed fat-fingered date
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been using MFP since May and am down 95 lbs as of this morning (started on May 15, 2015 at 350 lbs, weighed in this morning at 255 lbs).  MFP makes it so easy to track food intake, as long as you're honest about it, that I can't think of a good excuse to not use it.
View Quote

You're from the future?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You're from the future?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been using MFP since May and am down 95 lbs as of this morning (started on May 15, 2015 at 350 lbs, weighed in this morning at 255 lbs).  MFP makes it so easy to track food intake, as long as you're honest about it, that I can't think of a good excuse to not use it.

You're from the future?

Oops!  2014
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive used it for 225 days in a row. Way better than the fit day site i used to use.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
SPJ, thanks for this post! Ventured into this part of Arfcom to ask for some help starting a workout program, and had forgotten about the My Fitness Pal site.

It worked when I used it but then I got lazy...actually, I used it all the time with my FitBit, but then got away from wearing my FitBit. (I used the model that would clip to a waistband or the center of a bra, and they recommended the bra for best results, but then went and upgraded my bras for some more, ahem, structural support, and all that structure doesn't leave any space for the FitBit, so I fell out of the habit of consciously THINKING about my steps and logging every bit of food that I ate. Bad me! )

I will dig up my old account info and get back on it this week.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I use it every so often to check and see what I'm getting. I'll use it for 2-3 days and see if I need to make adjustments. Definitely makes you think before you eat "is this something I am going to want to log later?"
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I use it every so often to check and see what I'm getting. I'll use it for 2-3 days and see if I need to make adjustments. Definitely makes you think before you eat "is this something I am going to want to log later?"
View Quote

I log as I go, keeps me from eating sweets and drinking cokes.  Also makes me actually eat real food.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

And then I still eat it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Exactly, I thought I was getting plenty of protein. Once you start tracking it you realize how easy it is to eat way more than you planned.

I also realized how easy it is to eat way more carbs than you planned. It's hard to get snacks that aren't loaded with fat and carbs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Beef jerky.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Ive used fit day for years and MFP for about one.  MFP is ok but I hardly ever have a day that adds up right.  Its frustrating for me because I eat IIFYM.  Way too often my macros don't equal the calories. Some item are wrong due to the user submitted content. It's is a chore to find out which.  I even scan most foods, use known counts and and check others with USDA.
Im waiting for Macro Tracker to go live.  Its supposed to be revolutionary.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#20]
My weekends totally kill my diet
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:51:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Down 53lbs as of today since starting MFP on July 8.

Didn't mess with any settings other than entering my weight and setting to "sedentary".

It's not perfect, but it's helping me do what I need right now.  I do need to fine tune my diet and get better about cutting out the processed and high-sodium foods.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Down 53lbs as of today since starting MFP on July 8.

Didn't mess with any settings other than entering my weight and setting to "sedentary".

It's not perfect, but it's helping me do what I need right now.  I do need to fine tune my diet and get better about cutting out the processed and high-sodium foods.
View Quote

Congrats on weight loss!! I downloaded the app today and left everything the way it was except for "lightly active". After going to the gym tonight I still have ~300 calories left to use (that I won't). Was an idiot and drank a pop today too which hurt it a little. I'm down 10 pounds since I started working out 2 months ago.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been using MFP since early April. It has drastically changed my ability to keep my weight down (I sit in front of a computer for a living). I'm down 44 pounds from 241, and haven't been this fit since my gym rat days. MFP is suggesting a 1500 calorie cap, and I'm exercising 3 to 4 times per week, but I don't generally eat back my exercised calories. I'm not sure if that's having an effect on my muscles, but I've been having so much success doing it that way, I'm afraid to try eating them back.

The wife has had tremendous success with MFP as well.

My final destination is 180, for a grand total of 61 pounds lost. Though everyone is telling me I will look too thin at that weight. I'm going for it, and will float back up to 190 if necessary.

Sorry for the extended post, but I've been meaning to share it on the fitness forum as a reward to myself for getting back in shape, so there it is.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have been using MFP since early April. It has drastically changed my ability to keep my weight down (I sit in front of a computer for a living). I'm down 44 pounds from 241, and haven't been this fit since my gym rat days. MFP is suggesting a 1500 calorie cap, and I'm exercising 3 to 4 times per week, but I don't generally eat back my exercised calories. I'm not sure if that's having an effect on my muscles, but I've been having so much success doing it that way, I'm afraid to try eating them back.

The wife has had tremendous success with MFP as well.

My final destination is 180, for a grand total of 61 pounds lost. Though everyone is telling me I will look too thin at that weight. I'm going for it, and will float back up to 190 if necessary.

Sorry for the extended post, but I've been meaning to share it on the fitness forum as a reward to myself for getting back in shape, so there it is.
View Quote

Keep it up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/dlRiZjj.jpg http://i.imgur.com/gIiDhcz.jpg
View Quote

Good work and tell "everyone" to fuck off.

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I use it daily. Like it, mostly to keep track of daily intake and keep my protein in check. 175 grams of protein a day is harder than it sounds.

Double check the things you log though, I have found a ton of mistakes on very basic products. I'm not chasing the exact calories and weighing my food so I just double check to see if it's ballpark, but some of that stuff is flat out incorrect.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I use it on my phone, but haven't been regular about it recently (need to).

We have an Arfcommers group on MFP. Not very active.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#30]
on July 10 th of this year I went to my 1st VA appointment and I weighed 393 lbs, I  went on a 1600 calorie a day diet the next day and found the MFP app a month or so later and have since lost 75 lbs so far, my goal is 200 lbs. I have been told by some that it isn't a realistic goal but screw em ya gotta have goals.

I am jdorlshagen on MFP if anyone cares to follow.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been using  " Lose It " since January.
Love it, but I think any of these apps would be great as long as you use it and no cheating.

It worked great for me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
on July 10 th of this year I went to my 1st VA appointment and I weighed 393 lbs, I  went on a 1600 calorie a day diet the next day and found the MFP app a month or so later and have since lost 75 lbs so far, my goal is 200 lbs. I have been told by some that it isn't a realistic goal but screw em ya gotta have goals.

View Quote

That's awesome. I've neen using it since July 8, and I'm down 57lbs. My goal is also 200, then we'll see where it goes from there. Hell, I haven't been 200lbs since elementary school.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's awesome. I've neen using it since July 8, and I'm down 57lbs. My goal is also 200, then we'll see where it goes from there. Hell, I haven't been 200lbs since elementary school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 1983 when I got out of the Marine I was 136 lbs, that is definitely not a realistic goal...lol
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Wife got me to use it - down 30 lb (295-265) since Aug 3rd - goal is 220. Seeing what I eat was eye-opening; it was definitely easier when the garden was producing lots of vegetables this Summer.

The key is honesty & consistency with entries. For me, walking 1/2 hr or more 3-4 days and making better choices are the things that made the difference. Both of us feel a lot better.

lokltrkr - good job! You must feel a lot better already. i thought I felt OK - could always work outside (split wood, etc.) but I can feel the difference already. I'll look up arfcommers on My Fit.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#36]
As of yesterday I hit 100 lbs lost and I am now at 300 lbs. I know I was over 400 lbs before I started the diet I am now on.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I am amazed at the amount of sodium I am consuming. Never paid attention to it until I started using MFP.

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As of yesterday I hit 100 lbs lost and I am now at 300 lbs. I know I was over 400 lbs before I started the diet I am now on.
View Quote

That's a hell of a mark. Congrats.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am amazed at the amount of sodium I am consuming. Never paid attention to it until I started using MFP.

View Quote

I'm not too concerned with my sodium. With as much water as I drink, I'm flushing it out. No issue with hypertension. My wife is a salt Nazi and is hypertensive with 3 daily meds. Genetics I guess.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#40]
i used last year for about 6 months to drop 40lbs.  I've started again this year just to track my macros, see how I'm doing.  same name as here.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't understand why there isn't a section for calories burned while lifting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I just installed it. I need to drop 20 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Been using it for a week now.  

I like being able to scan barcodes, getting my balance of Carbs, Proteins, and Fats right has been hard. Today I am under on all goals except cholesterol (damned eggs). Still have 1400 calories left for today and dinner left to eat. Not sure what to eat to get my protein up as high as I can
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I like being able to scan barcodes, getting my balance of Carbs, Proteins, and Fats right has been hard. Today I am under on all goals except cholesterol (damned eggs). Still have 1400 calories left for today and dinner left to eat. Not sure what to eat to get my protein up as high as I can
View Quote

How many grams are you trying to get to and what's you body weight?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I use it on my phone, but haven't been regular about it recently (need to).

We have an Arfcommers group on MFP. Not very active.
View Quote

I'm downloading it now.  If we have an Arfcomer's group, maybe we can encourage each other?  I'll get it set-up and post my user name.

Edit: Ogive111
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I am lifting for mass, and trying to loose some weight too I am doing 40/30/30. Current weight is 272 and height is 6'6". I am trying to get down to 250 and then reevaluating my weight goal from there. MFP  puts my protein needs at 207g per day. That's a lot of protein.

I have been trying to eat 5 meals a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner. All of the meals are much smaller than the two large meals I ate prior to the diet.

I've found I feel best all day when I have a higher carb meal in the morning, slow oats with a teaspoon of honey and skim milk.  Then follow it up with the snack two or so hours later. Either a protein shake (post workout) or protein bar if I work out later in the day. I am sure I will get this figured out soon enough, but it can be frustrating trying to keep everything "level".
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#47]
I just signed up on MFP. Same user name.

I dropped 30 lbs in 2014 on my own. I've hit a plateau and need to incorporate more fitness training into my daily life. I'm hoping MFP can be my "next step".
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Since I am lifting for mass, and trying to loose some weight too I am doing 40/30/30. Current weight is 272 and height is 6'6". I am trying to get down to 250 and then reevaluating my weight goal from there. MFP  puts my protein needs at 207g per day. That's a lot of protein.

I have been trying to eat 5 meals a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner. All of the meals are much smaller than the two large meals I ate prior to the diet.

I've found I feel best all day when I have a higher carb meal in the morning, slow oats with a teaspoon of honey and skim milk.  Then follow it up with the snack two or so hours later. Either a protein shake (post workout) or protein bar if I work out later in the day. I am sure I will get this figured out soon enough, but it can be frustrating trying to keep everything "level".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The part in red is counter productive. Not impossible but really damn hard to do. You will have better results if you focus on one or the other.  

As far as protein some people would tell you to eat more but you will probably be ok.   And yes it is hard to eat that much protein. You pretty much have to divide it up perfect between your meals.

You should be eating less carbs on your non lifting days about .5g per lb of body weight. And then 1 to 1.5 grams per lb of body weight on lifting days. This helps replenish your glycogen. The book I read says it's best to do about 40% of your carbs during and after you workout with sugar. I did that today and I didn't feel tired after my workout at all. So it appeared to work. I used a double concentrated thing of gatoraid.

Don't forget on the days you workout you need to eat more. Depending on how hard the workout is.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#49]
^^^^^

Thanks for the reply!  I guess I should clarify, I want to loose fat and gain muscle second.

I know it will be tough to do both.  I ate like shit prior to the diet, so in theory cleaning up my diet I should loose some of my flab.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
^^^^^

Thanks for the reply!  I guess I should clarify, I want to loose fat and gain muscle second.

I know it will be tough to do both.  I ate like shit prior to the diet, so in theory cleaning up my diet I should loose some of my flab.
View Quote

No reason you can't lose fat while lifting weights. Diet is going to be 90% of your battle though. After you get a routine down it will be a lot easier to meet your calorie and macro goals.

And make sure to drink lots of water. That will keep you from wanting to drink bad stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top