Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 6:38:27 PM EDT
Trying to figure out which protein powder is good to use, kind of new to working out more than every once in a while trying to lose a little weight and start gaining muscle mass. So my question is what kind of protein powder should I get? And also it seems the best time to drink it is in the morning and after a workout? And finally what do you guys use for pre-workout? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
YMMV, but pick one up that tastes good and mixes well. I generally pick ones with low carbs/fat when possible. You really can't go wrong with optimum nutrition gold.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I use NO Explode sometimes for pre workout and whatever protein powder is on sale from a reputable brand (Twinlab, Optimum, EAS, & others).
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Any whey isolate protein. I use R1 which is a new company that split off from optimum (I think that was the company) when they sold it.

2.  If you want to gain muscle, a minimum of one gram of protein per pound you weigh. Eat other proteins, chocking down 200+ grams worth in a protein shake is hard

3.  The only time I don't drink it is before I go to bed. Or better explained an hour prior.

4.  Pre workout I use Jekyll with a vaso dilator.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
optimum nutrition 10lb bag off of bodybuilding.com will be your best price and quality.   mix, taste, and profile
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, ON Gold Standard is the best. I like extreme milk chocolate and rocky road.

C4 is a good preworkout and the one I use.  New Jack3d makes me sick.  NOexplode is pretty intense it has 300 mg of caffeine.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Matrix 5 peanut butter cookie.  

35/5lbs...  tastes so amazing.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I think i will buy some of the Optimum Nutrition to try out. I will be buying a smaller bag at first to check it out before I buy in bulk. is that a good way of thinking, how long will it take to be able to feel the effects? Like i said I have a rough idea on how to take it, but trying to get the facts straight before i jump in. Thanks again for all the advice guys.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think i will buy some of the Optimum Nutrition to try out. I will be buying a smaller bag at first to check it out before I buy in bulk. is that a good way of thinking, how long will it take to be able to feel the effects? Like i said I have a rough idea on how to take it, but trying to get the facts straight before i jump in. Thanks again for all the advice guys.
View Quote

You won't feel any overly obvious effects from the protein powder itself, it's just a macronutrient. (Unless you're counting protein farts as an effect! )

You'll get the results from your training, and a limited boost in performance from your preworkout.

The more you buy the cheaper the serving, but smaller tubs make sense so you can sample.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably a few years before you feel the effects.

Preworkout kicks in in about 15-30 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Cellucor is my favorite brand right now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You won't feel any overly obvious effects from the protein powder itself, it's just a macronutrient. (Unless you're counting protein farts as an effect! )

You'll get the results from your training, and a limited boost in performance from your preworkout.

The more you buy the cheaper the serving, but smaller tubs make sense so you can sample.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Farts are a given anyway but alright I will order the powder tomorrow probably. And some of the jackyll preworkout too. Thanks again for the info everyone!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Whatever you do, get vanilla flavored. That way you can mix it with anything to make it taste better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#13]
here's a beef protein powder that tastes delicious.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, get vanilla flavored. That way you can mix it with anything to make it taste better.
View Quote

I have heard the exact opposite from biddies who drink the stuff. Most go for the chocolate! I plan on mixing with water 9 times out of 10. I might mix it with mil in the mornings.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
here's a beef protein powder that tastes delicious.
View Quote

holy shit.  $68 for 1.78 lbs?

you must be CEO 10k/day, bra
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:19:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have heard the exact opposite from biddies who drink the stuff. Most go for the chocolate! I plan on mixing with water 9 times out of 10. I might mix it with mil in the mornings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vanilla almost always suck imo.  My brand of choice is ISOPURE low carb dutch chocolate. It's pricey but mixes well and taste great. My back up brands are dymatize iso 100 followed by ON gold standard.

For pre-workouts I like Pre-Jym, its expensive and can only be bought from bodybuilding.com but it packs a punch. C4 is a good standby and you can find it cheap at costco. My current favorite is Bullnox Androrush, I get ridiculous muscle stamina with it and I don't get the nauseating caffeine buzz, only down side is it has a lot of beta alanine and makes my skin crawl, especially my lips. First time I took it I thought I was having an allergic reaction.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#17]
ON vanilla is good, for a really good one check out ProSupps Vanilla Cake. Very tasty.

I typically have on hand a big tub of both chocolate and vanilla, and then smaller tubs of some different flavors. Keep in mind, all it takes to turn vanilla to chocolate is a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Beef protein taste like the ass of a cow. Because it probably is.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Depends on where you get it from.

True nutritious beef is amazing.   But at $12/lb...  You're better getting carnivor (only chocolate for fucks sake, all other flavored are the spawn of the damnedn... Seriously.) at 9ish/lb.  

I'll stick with matrix at 7/lb...  Specially with that taste...  Mmmmmmmmmm pb cookie...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Depends on where you get it from.

True nutritious beef is amazing.   But at $12/lb...  You're better getting carnivor (only chocolate for fucks sake, all other flavored are the spawn of the damnedn... Seriously.) at 9ish/lb.  

I'll stick with matrix at 7/lb...  Specially with that taste...  Mmmmmmmmmm pb cookie...
View Quote

I even go tired of choking down true nutrition's beef protein.  Powdered cow just doesn't taste all that great.

And yes any flavor besides Chocolate carnivor is not edible if you have taste buds.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#21]
What's the idea behind the beef protein? Is it a lactose thing, or did I miss a development where a better protein than whey was developed?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What's the idea behind the beef protein? Is it a lactose thing, or did I miss a development where a better protein than whey was developed?
View Quote

Has creatine and good for people who are lactose intolerant.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Get a cheap but reasonable whey protein (ON whey), and then mix other ingredients into it to 'roll your own' shake.

Don't buy superbulkmassxplode 69000.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad I'm not lactose intolerant, that sounds awful. In any case, wouldn't lean beef be cheaper and better for you all around?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm glad I'm not lactose intolerant, that sounds awful. In any case, wouldn't lean beef be cheaper and better for you all around?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a lot easier to make a shake and slam it down than cook and eat a bunch of beef.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I ordered some of the ON powder. Saw some Body Fortress whey protein at Walmart for a little cheaper. Tempted to go for that so i don't have to have it delivered. any thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Just eat food and drink milk.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Thanks! that is a lot of good info. thanks again for everybody's input!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I ordered some of the ON powder. Saw some Body Fortress whey protein at Walmart for a little cheaper. Tempted to go for that so i don't have to have it delivered. any thoughts on that?
View Quote

That Walmart crap is full or sugar and fillers. I've tried it twice both times I felt sick, the second time I took some I was 99% sure I was going to puke. Ymmv
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:12:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I use the cheap stuff from Walmart..... it works for me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top