Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 12:42:25 AM EDT
Just got the bad news last week. There is noting worth saving in the knee Doc said. MCL torn, meniscus both torn. MRI shows fluid still in the knee joint 8 weeks later,  several areas of bone on bone contact and full of arthritis, there was none in 2009 according to that Doc. It's been scoped in 2005, and discovered a large void in the front of the femur behind knee cap about the size of a 50 cent piece, where cartilage use to be. Doc didn't have ok to fix that so just cleaned it out. Workers comp case. Later in 2005, OATS procedure(imbedded 2 bone/cartilage plugs in the void) failed miserably. 2009 rescoped and cleaned void to gather good cartilage to regenerate using Carticel procedure. This worked pretty well resumed ice hockey, skiing,  till now. Some A$$CLOWN thought it was funny to not clean his work area, so naturally I found it. Slipped and fell, tore right hamstring and left knee impacted plate steel.  So who has had a complete or partial knee replacement, how old were you, why was it replaced and how is it today. Not looking forward to the CPM machine, that is a torture device.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:32:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I completely fucked my left knee when I was 18 playing football, walked ran and worked on it for the next 32 years. Doc held off on replacement until I turned 50 because the knees were only supposed to last for 15 years at best. Even just after the operation I could tell that something was better.  After the surgery while under the pain killers I could tell that it was the right decision. It was as if the knee did not exist, there was no pain at all. Waited another  5 years to have the other one done, I had obliterated it while working construction back in the 80's. Once again good decision.
I had to have the original one resurfaced because the plastic had sheared off one edge of the patella, back to work teaching in two months.I'm 61, both knees should last me upwards of 20 - 25 years, they have really improved the plastics on the bearing surfaces.
Rehab is going to be a bitch, work on your core muscles, stomach, and upper body, work on thighs and back too. listen to your therapist, and walk as much as possible as soon as you can. Take the meds (painkillers} as instructed by your therapist prior your workouts, helps to make the workouts go a bit better. Get out and walk as soon as possible without the crutches......WALK.

Good luck, enjoy your good knee while you can still get it under Obamacare.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I completely fucked my left knee when I was 18 playing football, walked ran and worked on it for the next 32 years. Doc held off on replacement until I turned 50 because the knees were only supposed to last for 15 years at best. Even just after the operation I could tell that something was better.  After the surgery while under the pain killers I could tell that it was the right decision. It was as if the knee did not exist, there was no pain at all. Waited another  5 years to have the other one done, I had obliterated it while working construction back in the 80's. Once again good decision.

I had to have the original one resurfaced because the plastic had sheared off one edge of the patella, back to work teaching in two months.I'm 61, both knees should last me upwards of 20 - 25 years, they have really improved the plastics on the bearing surfaces.

Rehab is going to be a bitch, work on your core muscles, stomach, and upper body, work on thighs and back too. listen to your therapist, and walk as much as possible as soon as you can. Take the meds (painkillers} as instructed by your therapist prior your workouts, helps to make the workouts go a bit better. Get out and walk as soon as possible without the crutches......WALK.
View Quote

What about the rehab is a bitch?  Future TKR here also - hoping to make it to 40 before getting the first one done.  Microfracture & knee cap realignment bought be a few years thankfully but it's gonna have to happen soon.  Is the rehab that rough?

Good luck OP - hope it brings you relief!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What about the rehab is a bitch?  Future TKR here also - hoping to make it to 40 before getting the first one done.  Microfracture & knee cap realignment bought be a few years thankfully but it's gonna have to happen soon.  Is the rehab that rough?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ligaments, muscles, get stretched, the incision, and the there is the internal stitches. every thing is traumatized. You have to tighten up the muscles and ligaments while the incision is trying to heal. They will get you up hours after the surgery. They will have you trying to bend the knee before supper of the first day. Forget that, they will bend the leg before supper.  I really slacked off on the first knee, so much so the Doc threatened to put me under and force the knee. Your thigh muscles won't respond, your calf muscles will feel like they are on fire and it will feel like you have a bowling ball under your new knee cap. Every time you bend your knee it feels like you have scars popping internally, because they are. Because your thigh muscles have been stretched your knee wont track properly,and it will feel like it will dislocate at any minute.  You probably won't be able to lift the leg, funny how you take it for granted, without lifting it by hand. If you don't stay in the hospital for therapy you will be sent home with a playbook of exercises, push yourself, have your wife push you. Keep at it. Before you know it you'll be able to walk a block on crutches with out falling on your face or passing out. Walk, walk, walk, walk, stick with the exercises, and walk some more. Push yourself........and walk.  Take it for granted everything will go better if your legs are in good shape before you go into the hospital. IM me after the surgery and into the therapy to let me know if I lie.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been a total knee replacement candidate for over a decade.  I have had ACL, MCL and PCL repair and replacement surgeries, all meniscus removed, and an osteotomy.   7 separate surgeries in all, with over a month cumulative hospital bed time.   When added together I have been on crutches for nearly a year of my life

I was told that my heavy weghtlifting days will be over once that knee gets replaced.   I am holding out as long as I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top