Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 6:34:19 PM EDT
I have been increasing my distance, getting ready for a 10 mile yesterday. Florida 10 Series.

Everything has been going well, tapered down last week. only ran twice, early in the week.

Race went well, started to fade about 8 into it, and didn't have much of a finish, kept the pace but couldn't speed up for the last. I made my goal of 9:00 pace with an 8:55 average. So I am happy with that.

Better nutrition. Got to eat better, and more. Tracked my calories and I am only hitting 1200 to 1500 a day. Just that 10 miles burned 1375.

More miles during the week. I have only been doing about 65 miles a month so 15 a week average isn't enough. I just need to make time and instead of doing 3-4 miles 3 times a week need to up that to 5-6 miles 4 times and 8-10 on my long days.

Last but not least, when you go over 10k, either run shirtless or tape or band aid your nipples. Damn, damn, damn.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
How have you been surviving on so little food?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't feel like eating mostly  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, you should probably eat more. Or at least supplement.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I must have nipples of steel. They never bother me. As a fat kid I do get chafing though.

Nice run, BTW.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Great job.

Yea, chafing can be rough. I have had luck using an anti persprant on my nips to help keep chafing down. Seems to work better than body glide.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you running in a tech shirt?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, it was a tech shirt. It was a new one though, maybe it would be better after a few washes.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, it was a tech shirt. It was a new one though, maybe it would be better after a few washes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What brand and style?  Some tech shirts have a very course open mesh than can reek havoc on the nips.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome pace! Body glide for the nipples or band aids for sure
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What brand and style?  Some tech shirts have a very course open mesh than can reek havoc on the nips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am on the road this week and I can't remember who made it, other than Sri Lanka. IT was a tight weave, silky feel, and I really thought it would be fine.

Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I use bandaids on the nip's for any run over 6 miles (1 hour).  I wear tech shirts that I get from running races and they aren't all created equal.  Some are like sandpaper, others like silk.  I run with a knife (protection against dogs too big to punt) and one time the tip of the handle gave me a nasty chaffing burn after a 16 mile run.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am on the road this week and I can't remember who made it, other than Sri Lanka. IT was a tight weave, silky feel, and I really thought it would be fine.

Lesson learned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lesson learned.

Nip guards FTW!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Body glide on friction points.

Increasing run frequency is important and 5 or 6 days per week is great, even if you only do 30 minutes easy on a couple of those days.

Your long run shouldn't be more than 25-33% of your weekly total.  Pure runners will hold it at 25%.  If you're doing other fitness work, it can be hard to keep it that low and still get decent mileage.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I think most of your comments are correct (except the nips have never been an issue for me).

I admit my only goal is to keep every mile between 8:30 and 9 on a 10 - 13.1 mile run. For this I need to do 5 miles (spirited first 3 miles) 4 days a week and 8 to 10 (average, comfortable pace) one day. I also get a lot more calories than you. I would think you are going to have to up your calories for more miles to be the norm (unless you are 5' 100lbs).

My great downfall is sleep. Do not underestimate how important regular uninterrupted sleep is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top