Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2014 7:19:11 AM EDT
In a moment of inattention I laughed at something stupid my 4 year old did with the squat bar on my back. I lost tightness in my core and it jacked my lower back so I dropped the bar.

Sore that day and next, went to the chiropractor yesterday, he said my back was definitely out all over and that I didn't have anything herniated or bulging in my lower back.

I definitely felt  better when I left, but I am sore as fuck today. I'm headed to Dallas for the weekend and if I'm not somewhat better by Monday I'm gonna have to go see the regular Doc.

I ain't gonna lie, if he tells me I can't lift heavy for a year, I'm gonna cry.

So what say Arfdocs? Am I totally fooked? Destined to a wheelchair? No lifting for a couple weeks? I can't be the first person to go through this.

ETA: Title change for search purposes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
In a moment of inattention I laughed at something stupid my 4 year old did with the squat bar on my back. I lost tightness in my core and it jacked my lower back so I dropped the bar.

Sore that day and next, went to the chiropractor yesterday, he said my back was definitely out all over and that I didn't have anything herniated or bulging in my lower back.

I definitely felt  better when I left, but I am sore as fuck today. I'm headed to Dallas for the weekend and if I'm not somewhat better by Monday I'm gonna have to go see the regular Doc.

I ain't gonna lie, if he tells me I can't lift heavy for a year, I'm gonna cry.

So what say Arfdocs? Am I totally fooked? Destined to a wheelchair? No lifting for a couple weeks? I can't be the first person to go through this.
View Quote

Gonna have to amputate the legs, sorry bud

But seriously, if the chiropractor couldn't find anything wrong (did he xray or just feel?) then you likely just pulled/strained a muscle. I've had it happen before with squats and deads when I get complacent and don't focus on form 100%.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Time and rest will heal the back, but you're gonna get screwed by the Eboli in Dallas.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Time and rest will heal the back, but you're gonna get screwed by the Eboli in Dallas.
View Quote

I got adjusted yesterday, but today and SORE. I don't know if it's from the adjustment and I need to give it time or if the pain itself is getting worse requiring a Dr's appointment.

I don't wanna drop the money to see him and have him send me home but the weekend is coming up and I don't wanna pay ten times as much for a weekend visit just to find out I should have went 24 hours ago.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#4]
On a lighter note, my 4 year old like to hand my woodworking clamps on my EZ curl bar and do bent over rows like mommy and daddy. I was in the middle of digging deep for the last rep and he bent down, grabbed the bar and stood up slowly letting out a slow squeaky fart that made my wife and I start busting out laughing. Until I dropped the bar and felt my spine buckle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Ibuprofen always helps me when I pull something.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like the cut of your jib.  

I've strained my lower back trying to pick up a weight that my body wasn't ready to handle.

Ibuprofen and Icy Hot had me back and lifting in about a week.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'm more worried it spinal instead of muscular. Muscle pulls I can handle, I'm pretty sure this is some sort of spinal jam. If I tighten a neutral back like prepping for a dead lift, it eases the pain when I have to bend down. Any movement or flexion of the spine itself causes excruciating pain.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I did the same thing Monday though it was just due to loss of focus while squatting. I was sore as hell Tues. Wed I had a personal best on my deadlift. I'm not a fan or most chiros.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Alright, just left my Dr office. X-rays looked good, slight chip on the end of one of those thingies that hang off the vertebrae. Dr said I strained the tendons or ligaments that hold my vertebra in place. Gave me a direct shot of Torodol into my back and Naproxen for 5 days. (I refused the narcotic pain meds)

Rest, heat pads, no lifting for 2 weeks, easy lifting for another two, follow up with Dr in 2 weeks and don't be a pussy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
That's reassuring but how did your ebola test go?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't underestimate the value of diazepam for something like this. (It's not for the pain.)

PS:  Hope it gets better sooner rather than later.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#12]
What's he know. Go heavy.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#14]
So your quakropractor just eyeballed your back and said you're good?  Get thee to a real doc.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's reassuring but how did your ebola test go?
View Quote

In Dallas all weekend, I'll know in 21 days.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's he know. Go heavy.

View Quote

LoL she said I'm gonna manage the pain, not remove it. I want you to remember you're injured.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Back from my Dallas trip and I love Naproxen. Pain is almost all gone, I was able to sit in the car without issue and most of the time I feel nothing at all.

This week was a scheduled deload week so I'm gonna do some sitting lifts and mostly just kind of get out there and work around it and see how I feel when the Naproxen wears off. If without Meds I feel no pain, next Monday I'll try some light lifting and see how I feel. I'm guessing I'll be able to go light on squats and deads for a couple weeks and be full speed on everything else next week. That's my hope anyways. If the meds are masking significant pain, I'll wait another week and reassess.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#18]
My .02 cents, is that I wouldn't do anything at all this week.  Maybe some stretching if it helps but if the naproxen is covering up the pain, then you could injure yourself further and not know it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:35:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My .02 cents, is that I wouldn't do anything at all this week.  Maybe some stretching if it helps but if the naproxen is covering up the pain, then you could injure yourself further and not know it.
View Quote

Yeah, the thought was coming to my mind as I was typing that last response. I probably ought to be med free before I pick anything up so my body can tell me when enough is enough.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Panther, hopefully you are on the road to recovery.

About NSAID's, I've all but weaned myself off of them over the fear they inhibit muscle growth and repair.  That said, last I looked no one would say 100% to avoid them, anyone know
the latest on the topic?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm only prescribed 5 days worth and I'm about 3 days into that. After that I hope the pain has subsided enough that a refill won't be necessary.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm only prescribed 5 days worth and I'm about 3 days into that. After that I hope the pain has subsided enough that a refill won't be necessary.
View Quote

You have a script for Naproxen?  

That's kinda odd, why?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Just buy aleve.  Naproxen is otc

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's kinda odd, why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kinda odd, why?

I didn't ask any questions about the prescription. I just knew it hurt and she said take this. Cost me $4 to fill the script.

She said make sure I take it as prescribed because it was "twice as strong as regular Naproxen."
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#25]
FINDINGS: AP and lateral views of the lumbar spine are examined. No fractures or malalignments are seen. Visualized soft tissues are unremarkable.
Impression

IMPRESSION: No acute abnormality.
View Quote

FINDINGS: AP and lateral views of the thoracic spine are examined. No acute fractures seen. There is minimal upper thoracic dextro scoliosis. Visualized soft tissues are unremarkable.
Impression

IMPRESSION: Slight upper thoracic curvature.

View Quote

Scoliosis huh? Off to Google.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#26]
People form scoliosis as they age, usually due to degenerative disease. I'm sure you've seen kids wearing a full brace around their trunk, or one that kind of looks like they are leaning. I think it's 10deg off midline from the center. WAY more people have it than you think. That said, if you had your weight shifted to one side or hip wasn't perfect aligned it could show scoliosis as well.

I also do not work out with people that make me laugh, my wife, etc. I usually listen to music so I don't have many distractions. I made the same mistake as you, a buddy made me laugh benching. I had probably 405 or 415 on and dropped it, luckily had not put the clamps on and ditched the weights. My buddy was too shocked to even help. My chest hurt so bad that I went to the ER, had positive cardiac enzymes (like I was having an MI), but just took it easy for awhile. As I've found out lately, you can take a lot more abuse at 18 than you can now.

I've hurt my back like that deadlifting before. I always wear a belt now. Felt like someone gave me a stinger next to my spine for a week. It went away. I tore my labrum and one head of my bicep a few months ago. I am putting off surgery until after hunting season and college football (already paid for the lease and LSU season tickets) and have been taking it super easy. I actually am in better shape now than before I hurt myself...just from changing up from heavy to light high rep stuff.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FINDINGS: AP and lateral views of the lumbar spine are examined. No fractures or malalignments are seen. Visualized soft tissues are unremarkable.

Impression

IMPRESSION: No acute abnormality.

FINDINGS: AP and lateral views of the thoracic spine are examined. No acute fractures seen. There is minimal upper thoracic dextro scoliosis. Visualized soft tissues are unremarkable.

Impression

IMPRESSION: Slight upper thoracic curvature.

I have it in the thoracic also. Not too bad but there's a visible curve and I notice one shoulder is a little higher. I've been told over head pressing can be bad but it's never bothered me. The inversion table and hangs seem to help. The chrio found this muscle was really weak maybe from the scoliosis so I've been training it a lot this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serratus_anterior_muscle

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top