Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2014 8:48:02 PM EDT
Tonight was one of those workouts that everything just goes right!     ...and I needed it!  LOL

I've been training with Andy Baker who co-authored Practical Programming with Rip.  Over at Starting Strength they announced an event for Oct 25. Iron Fest so I thought I would give it a try.  I'm going to the San Antonio location.

I started SS back in April.  I had never lifted before.  Tonight I set 2 PRs.  365 for Squat and 405 for dead lift.  These were numbers that in my head I want to do at Iron Fest.  Now I can push that even more...maybe.

So combine that with my Bench PR (245) and I'm at 1015 on the "Big 3" lifts.   While that is nothing to ooooooo and ahhhhh over,  I'm pretty damn proud of myself for achieving it in 6months!

My stats: 47 y.o., 6'3", 270lbs.

Now to go cook some steaks for my reward uhh...recovery.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.

I would love to get there. But my squat sucks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice.

View Quote

Mine did too.  I was stuck at 265-275.  I went and had a private session with Andy and he fixed my form.   I've added 90-100lbs to my squat in less than3 months.  I think some of that was form related vs. pure strength gains...but I'll take it.

Get some coaching for your squat.  Post a video a SS.com or here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice work!  At my peak I hit 980.  Never could get my benchpress above 245.  Long arms and skinny chest were working against me.

6' 1'' 185lbs here at my prime in college football at 21 y.o.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations! It is a goal of mine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Mine did too.  I was stuck at 265-275.  I went and had a private session with Andy and he fixed my form.   I've added 90-100lbs to my squat in less than3 months.  I think some of that was form related vs. pure strength gains...but I'll take it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice.

It's just weak legs. My front squat sucks too.  

I am not stuck my progress is just really slow. I switched over from SS to 5/3/1. My max is around 260.  But I only weigh 217.  I will be pretty happy if I can hit 300.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:06:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats man! I was excited to hit 1,000 too, pushing for 1,200 currently. Squats is my weak spot!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats. Its awesome to gain like that.

I am totally hindered by my deadlift, as I tore my bicep earlier this year. I'm having trouble getting it over 450 when I can squat 650.

Too bad they won't let you put leg press in there!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tonight was one of those workouts that everything just goes right!     ...and I needed it!  LOL

I've been training with Andy Baker who co-authored Practical Programming with Rip.  Over at Starting Strength they announced an event for Oct 25. Iron Fest so I thought I would give it a try.  I'm going to the San Antonio location.

I started SS back in April.  I had never lifted before.  Tonight I set 2 PRs.  365 for Squat and 405 for dead lift.  These were numbers that in my head I want to do at Iron Fest.  Now I can push that even more...maybe.

So combine that with my Bench PR (245) and I'm at 1015 on the "Big 3" lifts.   While that is nothing to ooooooo and ahhhhh over,  I'm pretty damn proud of myself for achieving it in 6months!

My stats: 47 y.o., 6'3", 270lbs.

Now to go cook some steaks for my reward uhh...recovery.  
View Quote

good luck brah, ive been trying for a long time to get in
current stats,
225 bench
315 squat
405 dead.

6' 190lbs about 10% body fat
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
nice job man.

My only concern is that your gym training PRs do not always equal competition PRs.

Can you do that again all in one day? Before your comp, take a day and do a competition at home. Warm up and then try your 3 best attempts at each lift in order. Squat, Bench, Deadlift.

The biggest issue is bench during competition. Have you practiced that "pause" with the bar on your chest. Get someone else to act as a judge for you. Watch some videos and see what I mean.

Ive only done 1 PL comp and it was a long time ago. If I did, I would be hoping for  your same numbers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
nice job man.

My only concern is that your gym training PRs do not always equal competition PRs.

Can you do that again all in one day? Before your comp, take a day and do a competition at home. Warm up and then try your 3 best attempts at each lift in order. Squat, Bench, Deadlift.

The biggest issue is bench during competition. Have you practiced that "pause" with the bar on your chest. Get someone else to act as a judge for you. Watch some videos and see what I mean.

Ive only done 1 PL comp and it was a long time ago. If I did, I would be hoping for  your same numbers.
View Quote

Thank man.  I think I will be ok.  The event is more of a friendly comp.  Bragging rights and camaraderie.  Both my PRs were back to back PRs.  I squatted 355x2 (a PR at that moment) and decided to throw on the extra 10lbs.  Same with the DL.  I pulled 395 x1 and 10 min later I pull 405.  The other lift for the meet is OHP not bench so it will be lighter weight.  I did both of the DL PRs at the end of the workout after a full day at work.  I'm hoping a couple of days rest before and a morning meet I should have plenty in the tank.  We'll see!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats!

Before the end of the year I'm going to do a single take 1000# club video, because if it's not video'd, it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Congrats!

Before the end of the year I'm going to do a single take 1000# club video, because if it's not video'd, it didn't happen.
View Quote

Dude, you are almost there with just squat and deadlift.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Congrats!

View Quote

Thanks!  I do have my squat and deadlift on video.  No I'm not posting them cuz they are UGLY....but they are mine!

5 more days I get to put them to the test and maybe push them!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats!

Yeah, but I've been focusing on losing weight, and my bench sucks. I got 185 my last max, couldn't power through 205...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, but I've been focusing on losing weight, and my bench sucks. I got 185 my last max, couldn't power through 205...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats!

Yep, that's pretty sad for as strong as you are.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Congrats!

It's true. I officially snatch more than I bench.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#18]
bravo sir bravo
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Great job! This is actually inspiring. I miss lifting and have had a lot of misc injuries over the years. If I can get my back straightened out sometime soon I might work some weights back in.

I've been out of the game for some time. If I remember correctly my PRs put me right about the same spot at 1020 total - 350 squat, 385 deadlift, and 285 bench. At the time I was still 5'10" but around 215 lbs. Unfortunately, I'd be lucky to knock out half of those right now
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Something to shoot for.

Thanks for posting and good job!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks everyone!  I'm really pumped about the event this weekend.   I'll post results and any pics from event.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome, great work!!

6'3, 270, and only training for 6 months? Holy potential, you'll be at 1200 in no time!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I'm back from the meet and it was a  GREAT 1st experience.  I saw some incredibly strong guys there and it motivates me even more.

My highest results
Squat:  365  (ties my current PR) no lift 2nd attempt, not low enough, nailed it on the 3rd lift. opened with 315.
Overhead Press: 185 (also ties PR)  missed 190
Deadlift: 420  a 15lb PR!    I opened with 365, then 405.

Now as far as the really strong guys.....  

I saw multiple 500lb+ squats and dead lifts. heaviest deadlift was 280Kg = 616lbs   The guy who DL 616 also OHP 275lbs!

Everyone was frinedly and supportive and that made it more fun than anything.  Nothing like having your peers and the ground cheer for you when you are pulling the heaviest weight you have ever pulled!

Next stop for me.... Starting Strength Seminar w/ Rip!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Everyone was frinedly and supportive and that made it more fun than anything.  Nothing like having your peers and the ground cheer for you when you are pulling the heaviest weight you have ever pulled!
View Quote

That's one of the coolest things about powerlifting (and powerlifters),  the community applauds your max effort, whatever the poundage.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I heart andy baker.  I had him write me a program, I had been stuck for months on my lifts.  I am up 40 pounds on my lower body stuff and over 20 on upper body stuff over the last few months.

I really wish I lived close so I could get some one on one coaching.

CONGRATS OP!  You are stronger than 99.9% of the general population.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice work!  At my peak I hit 980.  Never could get my benchpress above 245.  Long arms and skinny chest were working against me.

View Quote

LOL, same  build/ht/weight I was from HS until mid 30s, hit 225# for about 10-12 years, now hand around 195-200, but noticeably weaker, and chronic joint pain has become an issue. Just started lifting again, but  LIGHTLY.

Problem is one of my sons is a missing link. Hit 1000# club at 14, and expect he'll crack 1200 at 15, after he gets back into it post football season.
Proud of him, but he's really making me feel old and broke down!
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I heart andy baker.  I had him write me a program, I had been stuck for months on my lifts.  I am up 40 pounds on my lower body stuff and over 20 on upper body stuff over the last few months.

I really wish I lived close so I could get some one on one coaching.

CONGRATS OP!  You are stronger than 99.9% of the general population.
View Quote

Thanks man!   You know there are quite a few SS coaches on the west cost?  I know there is a SS gym in Reno, NV.  Those aren't a leisurely drive but they are in your neck of the woods.

One on one coaching is so worth it!

Did you see that Andy Baker is going to host a seminar at his studio?  DO IT!   DOOOOOO EEEEEEET!!!!  
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LOL, same  build/ht/weight I was from HS until mid 30s, hit 225# for about 10-12 years, now hand around 195-200, but noticeably weaker, and chronic joint pain has become an issue. Just started lifting again, but  LIGHTLY.

Problem is one of my sons is a missing link. Hit 1000# club at 14, and expect he'll crack 1200 at 15, after he gets back into it post football season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Talk about broke down....after such a great week...I strained my back!  LOL!!!   It's not too bad but I had to ditch squats on Friday.  Gonna go light this week and work around it.   I want to be healed up for the seminar in Dec.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I am set to make the 1000 club as soon as I DL next.  I hit 365 on back squat, 285 bench, which leaves a 350 for DL.  I've already hit that within the past couple of weeks, so that shouldn't be a problem unless my lower back starts acting up on me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am set to make the 1000 club as soon as I DL next.  I hit 365 on back squat, 285 bench, which leaves a 350 for DL.  I've already hit that within the past couple of weeks, so that shouldn't be a problem unless my lower back starts acting up on me.
View Quote

What's your hgt/wgt?

Just curious, as I'm identical on your lift #'s, except for DL.

ETA: I'm 6', 215lbs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What's your hgt/wgt?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your hgt/wgt?

I'm 6'5 / 245.

ETA: , what's your DL?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm 6'5 / 245.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your hgt/wgt?

I'm 6'5 / 245.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Do y'all use straps and a belt for deadlift?

I gave up on the "I should be able to hang on to anything I lift" mentality and got a good belt from here and my deadlift has went up 100ish lbs. I also started doing more lower back exercises like good mornings and it has helped. I am 6'0" (might be a hair under lol) 202 (now) and do reps of 3 with 450, haven't tried maxing after my bicep and labrum tear. I really feel like the "accessories" have helped though, as I can focus on my lift rather than back bending and grip slipping
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I gave up on the "I should be able to hang on to anything I lift" mentality and got a good belt from here and my deadlift has went up 100ish lbs. I also started doing more lower back exercises like good mornings and it has helped. I am 6'0" (might be a hair under lol) 202 (now) and do reps of 3 with 450, haven't tried maxing after my bicep and labrum tear. I really feel like the "accessories" have helped though, as I can focus on my lift rather than back bending and grip slipping
View Quote

No, my grip just gets stronger as I plug along no issues with it but I am only around 400ish.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#35]
i use a belt and chalk. my grip isnt limiting yet.

I would be at a theoretical 1000 pounds. Last month squat was 350, last 1rm bench 245, and just hit a new pr DL at 405 at 5'9 165. Could I do it all in one day with the competition pause on the bench? Don't know, and i dont think im driving 4 hours in december to find out either.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice! Congrats! I wish I could get there but I am doing too much running/calisthenics to make those kinds of gains.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Nice! Congrats! I wish I could get there but I am doing too much running/calisthenics to make those kinds of gains.
View Quote

false.

Eat more, lift heavier. Likely you're just not eating enough to provide calories to compensate for the running to adaquately build muscle and strength while running...
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

false.

Eat more, lift heavier. Likely you're just not eating enough to provide calories to compensate for the running to adaquately build muscle and strength while running...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

false.

I have been doing a lot of cardio and lifting heavy while eating cleaner and have made good gains in both while slowly burning fat.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Belt- sometimes. When I'm able to borrow my buddy's. ( I need to buy one, I know)

Straps- no.

Chalk- yes
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have been doing a lot of cardio and lifting heavy while eating cleaner and have made good gains in both while slowly burning fat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

false.

This has been my experience the past year n a half so far.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use a belt, chalk, and a reverse grip.  I ordered a 3 inch belt from Best Belts just for DL.   I have a 4 inch that I have been using for squat and DL.   I read an article from RIP on Belt sizing and thought I would give the 3 inch belt a try.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

false.

I have been eating healthier (mainly VERY low carb/sugar) and doing cardio, and alternating heavy and high rep (about one of each every 1.5 weeks) since September. Overall, I have lost 38lb this year but get WAY more compliments in a leaner form than with so much bulk. This isn't a pic thread or I would post pics, but it is a pretty remarkable difference. I really think its mainly the diet changes, but I'm still about as strong despite losing so much weight.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

false.

Same here.  I'm not a runner.  But I would say I do a lot of cardio, usually 5 times per week.  Now, when I played football all day long every day, that was a different story, I couldn't gain enough weight.  But I don't see anyone putting in that much endurance training short of being a full time athlete.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#44]
No chalk or straps here, deadlifting 465lbs.

I do use a belt though, always have no matter what weight.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Just to update, I did officially hit the 1,000 club this weekend.  My final lift had to be a 350 pound DL.  I did 355.  While I am happy to have made the club, I am still confused about why I can back squat more than I can DL at this point.  According to everything else I can do, I should be DL'ing around 400.  I think the problem has to do with me not fully engaging my lower body and putting too much pressure on my lower back.  One of these days I'm going to have a eureka moment and get a 50 pound PR.    Hopefully.    I just ordered a new Rogue leather belt.  So maybe that will help.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Congrats and welcome to the club!  :D.

Dude how far are you from Norfolk, VA?  Jordan Feigenbaum is an MD, SSC and Power Lifter.  

He could fix your DL in one session I bet.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Dude how far are you from Norfolk, VA?  Jordan Feigenbaum is an MD, SSC and Power Lifter.  

View Quote

Close enough if need be.  Can you hire the guy for a private lesson?  Or how does that work?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Close enough if need be.  Can you hire the guy for a private lesson?  Or how does that work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get Some!

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get Some!

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/

I emailed him and he responded.  Apparently there is a seminar coming up in January.

ETA: I tried a wide stance today and it felt pretty good.  That might be the key for me.  I guess I'll find out when I go heavy with it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#50]
This tread inspired me to push for a 1K goal this past weekend at a PL meet, and hit it right on the nose
S-335, B-205, D-460

I mentioned this in the NOV thread, but to elaborate here...several of the spotters/judges/athletes said my last attempts at Squat and Deadlift were fast.  Too fast for a final attempt. So I had more in the tank for those...maybe a 350/475   Next time
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top