Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 8:43:33 AM EDT
I've been in a half-marathon training team (for the Richmond Half, if anybody cares) and have gone from never having run more than 2.5 miles straight to doing 10 miles with only a few minutes at SAG stops a couple days ago. I don't intend to be much of a long-distance runner but I'd like to do a marathon in the near-ish future and I'd like to be able to keep in good enough shape to do a 10k at least yearly without having to start from scratch in my training.

I prefer lifting for the most part but I'd definitely be able to do a couple-few miles a few times a week to keep a baseline. What's a good plan to keep going? 2 miles a day, twice a week on the weekdays, and 4-5 on a weekend day? 3 miles 3 or 4 times a week?

Assume I don't have time or inclination to do 6 miles a day 6 days a week or anything like that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on your distance goals.  Metabolic adaptations to endurance exercise take a while to happen but only 2 weeks to a detrained state.  If you want to be able to at least run 10ks, then run at least that in a week, and then when a half pops up youre interested, increase your mileage.

How nearish in the future do you want to attempt a marathon?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably between 1 and 2 years. If I can fit it in with work and classes I'd like to do the 2015 Marine Corps marathon, or if not then the next year. Assuming I can get in.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably between 1 and 2 years. If I can fit it in with work and classes I'd like to do the 2015 Marine Corps marathon, or if not then the next year. Assuming I can get in.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Thats plenty of time to ramp up your mileage when you decide to run it, so if I were you Id just keep your weekly mileage around 25-30 for 10k distances depending on how many days you feel you need to train.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top