Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2014 5:58:15 AM EDT
3 months into a "no weights period,not even body weight exercises for 6 months, maybe 12 months" order from the ortho doc due to a shoulder injury...current weight is 189, and I am doing an hour of cardio 5-6 days week and still have weight loss in mind (goal is 165-175 lbs range for my 5'9" frame).   I suppose I will end up pretty lean looking, but will the lack of resistance training cause me to lose any muscle mass i may have gained?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I stopped lifting for like 6 months and lost 30lbs and a ton of strength.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I lost some upper body muscle but not much.  Mostly I lost fat and got in really good shape.

To be fair, my job and my hobbies involve some degree of heavy lifting so it's not like I never used those muscles.  I just never did anything for those muscle in the gym.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
3 months into a "no weights period,not even body weight exercises for 6 months, maybe 12 months" order from the ortho doc due to a shoulder injury...current weight is 189, and I am doing an hour of cardio 5-6 days week and still have weight loss in mind (goal is 165-175 lbs range for my 5'9" frame).   I suppose I will end up pretty lean looking, but will the lack of resistance training cause me to lose any muscle mass i may have gained?
View Quote

Similar plan here.  Spine surgery 12 months ago.   Was out of shape before but still strong.  After 12 months of taking it easy I got fat (about 195 on 5' 6" frame).  I used to lift a lot and was in great shape before hitting my 30's but cardio was not part of my routine.  I started doing only cardio about a month ago, which consists of either an hour on a stationary bike or 30 minutes on a treadmill nearly every day.  In addition, I have been eating healthier.   My results have been great.   Over 20 lbs down on 30 days.   I plan to keep it up until I hit 170 or 165 then I'll add some weights into the routine but cardio will remain a key part of what I do.  

I don't think you'll lose a lot of muscle mass but will maintain lean muscle.  if weight loss is Yout primary goal, here is what works for me (one size does not fit all).   Hour of cardio, like you are doing combined with a diet of 1200 net calories per day.  If you burn 500 calories doing cardio, you eat 1700.  If you don't do cardio, you eat 1200 and so on.   It doesn't sound like much but it works.   Skip the low carb crap.  Eat healthy and move.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Find a new ortho that understands exercising.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#5]
take your same shape, but shrink it.

you may be lighter but may also have the same shape. you can be 165 and "skinny fat w/ extra skin" just from running

check out supple leopard for some shoulder rehab/ care.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Lean muscle instead of big muscle.

You'll be faster and have decent strength but nothing compared to doing weight training.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You'll be faster and have decent strength but nothing compared to doing weight training.
View Quote

Leanness is a function of bodyfat percentage. Muscle size is a result of lifting using certain methods and eating for it.

OP- there's no way to tell. At one point in my life I did nothing but cardio- long distance endurance and my diet sucked. I looked like 172# of chewed bubble gum. In bootcamp was was 165# and was very lean and looked good if not a little thin. It all depends on diet and what type of cardio you do.

Bottom line though is Darktide is right. I know a couple guys with shoulder issues that have continued to lift after surgeries- they just have to be smart about it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Leanness is a function of bodyfat percentage. Muscle size is a result of lifting using certain methods and eating for it.

OP- there's no way to tell. At one point in my life I did nothing but cardio- long distance endurance and my diet sucked. I looked like 172# of chewed bubble gum. In bootcamp was was 165# and was very lean and looked good if not a little thin. It all depends on diet and what type of cardio you do.

Bottom line though is Darktide is right. I know a couple guys with shoulder issues that have continued to lift after surgeries- they just have to be smart about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My comment was based on the assumption of a healthy individual. Weight-wise and BMI-wise
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My comment was based on the assumption of a healthy individual. Weight-wise and BMI-wise
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That still doesn't follow. You can be an endurance runner at a "healthy" weight and be unhealthy with shitty body composition, or you can be "overweight" with a high BMI and be perfectly healthy, based on low bodyfat % and a good diet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:11:09 PM EDT
[#10]
In the future, I'll be sure to break down exactly what I mean word by word so you understand.
I suppose this is GD afterall...

Edit: Not how I wanted to spend my 1k.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In the future, I'll be sure to break down exactly what I mean word by word so you understand.

View Quote

No this isn't GD, and what you're saying is not correct. Yes, I can be anal about these things because saying stuff like "cardio will give you lean muscles and weight training will make you big" is EXACTLY where a lot of misconceptions about fitness come from. It's also where a lot of people come up with the idea of the scale being the be all end all of health.

So it's not about you breaking down exactly what you mean so I "understand" it's about being correct in the information you put out there, or at least being open to correction when you are wrong.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No this isn't GD, and what you're saying is not correct. Yes, I can be anal about these things because saying stuff like "cardio will give you lean muscles and weight training will make you big" is EXACTLY where a lot of misconceptions about fitness come from. It's also where a lot of people come up with the idea of the scale being the be all end all of health.

So it's not about you breaking down exactly what you mean so I "understand" it's about being correct in the information you put out there, or at least being open to correction when you are wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll step out since you weren't picking up what I was putting down in the first place.

I'll admit, I should have been more descriptive. However, telling me I'm wrong for the way I quickly tried to explain something, is just darn tarded.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll step out since you weren't picking up what I was putting down in the first place.

I'll admit, I should have been more descriptive. However, telling me I'm wrong for the way I quickly tried to explain something, is just darn tarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is what you said, and it's wrong. If you want to pretend saying something is wrong that IS wrong is "tarded" then by all means.

I'm done with this derail now.

OP- I'd definitely listen to DT and get a second opinion on how to continue resistance training. There's a lot of good docs out there these days that understand this stuff.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:08:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not terribly intelligent so I'll leave the final answers up to those that are smarter than me, but would some sort of BCAA supplement help with muscle loss?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not terribly intelligent so I'll leave the final answers up to those that are smarter than me, but would some sort of BCAA supplement help with muscle loss?
View Quote

It does when you're fasted and lifting. If you're not doing resistance training though, you are going to lose muscle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:OP- I'd definitely listen to DT and get a second opinion on how to continue resistance training. There's a lot of good docs out there these days that understand this stuff.
View Quote

+1

Recently had a discussion with a chiropractor on another forum telling another poster that squats were harmful to most and only benefit few. I now have doubts about his entire medical profession...
Obviously you'll have to take that shoulder into consideration but can still find effective exercises to reduce the amount of muscle loss. My wife had three steel plates and eight screws in her shoulder for almost nine months after a motorcycle wreck — we still do weight training four times a week.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+1

Recently had a discussion with a chiropractor on another forum telling another poster that squats were harmful to most and only benefit few. I now have doubts about his entire medical profession...
Obviously you'll have to take that shoulder into consideration but can still find effective exercises to reduce the amount of muscle loss. My wife had three steel plates and eight screws in her shoulder for almost nine months after a motorcycle wreck — we still do weight training four times a week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:OP- I'd definitely listen to DT and get a second opinion on how to continue resistance training. There's a lot of good docs out there these days that understand this stuff.

+1

Well you should have doubts about chiropractors.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

Chiropractors and Doctors have very little if any training on exersice/wieght training.  They spread a lot of the bad information about lifting, but people beleive them because they have a dergree.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:15:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Also find a PT with a total body approach.  You should be able to work around the affected limb and continue to train the unaffected limb as well as the abs and lower body.  You will have to get creative and know your limits.

And by doing this, you will release hormones that will not only help the rest of the body, but it will help the affected area heal.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#20]
thanks for the replies...

PT: Not happening..just too expensive.  

2nd opinion:  Have thought about that, will take it more seriously now after reading the replies..its just hard arranging the time off from work..
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

2nd opinion:  Have thought about that, will take it more seriously now after reading the replies..its just hard arranging the time off from work..
View Quote

Finding a good PT that can assist you in getting back to lifting would be worth the cost of a few sessions, but that's assuming you find the "right" PT.  I'd much rather spend a few hundred dollars now and be back in the gym in a month or to than to waste 6 months doing nothing and still having whatever injury is preventing me from doing the activities I want to be doing.

That said, the majority of the PTs I've been to in the past year or so were not "right" and it took getting the a contact from someone that has similar fitness goals as me and has worked with a competent PT in the past to get on the right track.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Form what I understand doing a ton of cardio is catabolic, so you would lose muscle.

With your jacked up shoulder could you at least do squats?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Form what I understand doing a ton of cardio is catabolic, so you would lose muscle.

View Quote

yeah, i might be able to do squats...since i started this thread i went back to one of my circuit training classes (same one i injured myself in originally), only this time i stuck to light weights, 15-20 lbs max...no major issues to report.

as to cardio being catabolic and would cause me to lose muscle, im somewhat intrigued by that as I have always ranged from being  "big boned"/husky to downright fat..Im actually a little curious now as to what I'd look like being leaner/trimmer from doing strictly cardio...i could always add it back i guess.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#25]
If you do a ton of cardio and your nutrition's jacked up you might end up being kinda skinnyfat.  Muscle is an expensive bothersome piece of tissue, which does passively degrade if you aren't training properly + giving yourself the right food.  

To swear off all resistance training due to ONE unspecified shoulder injury is a bit premature.  Did you tear something? Have you had surgery?  Is it just really bad tendonitis?  Go find a physical therapist who actually trains and see what he/she has to say.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The amount and intensity specify whether it's catabolic or anabolic.

This is probably the best article on cardio ever written
http://www.t-nation.com/training/regular-cardio-will-make-you-fat
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you do a ton of cardio and your nutrition's jacked up you might end up being kinda skinnyfat.  Muscle is an expensive bothersome piece of tissue, which does passively degrade if you aren't training properly + giving yourself the right food.  

To swear off all resistance training due to ONE unspecified shoulder injury is a bit premature.  Did you tear something? Have you had surgery?  Is it just really bad tendonitis?  Go find a physical therapist who actually trains and see what he/she has to say.
View Quote

distal clavicle osteolytis and a small tear in one of the muscles in the rotator cuff according to the ortho doc.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good read, and HIIT it is!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:44:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Finding a good PT that can assist you in getting back to lifting would be worth the cost of a few sessions, but that's assuming you find the "right" PT.  I'd much rather spend a few hundred dollars now and be back in the gym in a month or to than to waste 6 months doing nothing and still having whatever injury is preventing me from doing the activities I want to be doing.

That said, the majority of the PTs I've been to in the past year or so were not "right" and it took getting the a contact from someone that has similar fitness goals as me and has worked with a competent PT in the past to get on the right track.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will want to look for a PT that works with athletes and/or CrossFitters.   Drop a line at your local box or hardcore gym, I am quite sure they can help you find you a good one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I ran for a at least 6-12 months straight with barley any weight lifting, and I felt weak as hell.

I am now back up to 175 lbs, and lifting/doing cardio weekly, and feel 100 times stronger. I think 165-175 is my ideal wight, but my chest needs to catch up to my stomach.

GLUCK
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Just to give you an example of how it could go.

I laid off weights for around 8 months, completely. Did a lot of endurance stuff, lost 30lbs. Getting back into lifting was like starting completely over again.

I've been lifting again for around 7 months; and only now are my 1-2 rep maxes what I used to be able to do for 10 reps; not an exaggeration. I haven't gained any weight and still do a lot of endurance stuff, so I would be stronger and heavier if I was 100% devoted to strength training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top