Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 4:29:54 AM EDT
I started my diet and weightlifting back in May. Since then I've lost 36 lbs so far and a few % in BF I look and feel way better than I used to. My question is how far do I cut? Right now Im eating around 1700-1800 cals a day when my maintence is 2200. When do I stop cutting and up my cals to start gaining muscle?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#1]
First congrats on losing the 36lbs!

Next what are your goals?  Are you near your goal weight?  or do you need to lose another 50lbs?

What are your training goals?  Strength, Size, Endurance, Athletic competition?

If you still need to lose weight, keep cutting.  If you are where you want to be weight wise, then look at your training/programing which includes your diet.

To gain mass, you will have to be in a caloric surplus.  If you have solid programming, then the weight you gain will mostly be lean mass.

I dropped a little over 70lbs earlier this year (started in 2013).  I started barbell training (Starting Strength) in April.  I've gain about 12 lbs back from my lowest but have been steady at my current weight.  My lifts get better and I can see the changes in the mirror.

Time, discipline, and consistency in your training, diet and recovery, will go a long way.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
When you stop cutting will depend on a lot of things:

How far do you have to go before you're at whatever your goal weight/body composition is? Is cutting having an influence on your training?

What is your plan for once your 'cut' ends?  If you're going to try a "clean bulk" (mythical as they are) maybe you want to start writing up some meal plans a few weeks before you actually make the switch.  A clean bulk is a serious tightrope to be walking on.

If you've been at a caloric deficit for a long period of time you might want to switch to eating at your maintenance for a few weeks before you actually get into a caloric surplus.  

What does your training program look like right now?  

What do you think it will look like after you increase your Cals?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Read/watch the videos by renaissance periodization.
Read John meadows.

/end thread
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I started at 225 lbs back in May. As of a few hours ago at the gym I weighed in at 189 lbs. I want to get down to 175-180 lbs. Im more worried about losing body fat than I am about being a certain weight. Currently im on a P-P-L routine.

Chest, shoulders and tris. 15 minutes hiit on the treadmill
biceps, back and
legs and abs. 15 minutes hiit on the treadmill

off day

Start all over.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:19:06 AM EDT
[#5]
When you feel like you wanna bulk up, you start to bulk up
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I bulked during the early summer, eating 4000ish calories a day. I then did a loading month of creatine. After bulking, I started cutting, dropping to 2400ish calories a day, and have totally dropped creatine supplements other than C4 (minimal)

Once you cut the calories down and start running, everything else will fall in line. Obviously you will drastically cut carbs, sugar, and sodium.  But also don't forget to change up your workout a little bit.

I was forced to change my workout up due to a shoulder/bicep injury a few months ago. I have dropped from 6'0" 238 to 202 during cutting/injury. I have finally started being able to do a little heavier, and am up to 208. But I can definitely say one thing: building lean muscle is ridiculously harder than bulking up. I do get more compliments at this weight though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top