Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 5:30:09 PM EDT
I am not sure if this is okay to be here or not, but here it goes.

Well guys, about five years ago, I bought a whole bunch of tactical apparel and gear. I never was able to put on the whole ensemble because of my weight gain. This past May, I started the month weighing 290 lbs. with a 5'6" frame. I am stocky anyway, but this was too much stock. The end of April I was hospitalized and had a close brush with dying. I spend the next four days on a ventilator in ICU, before I was eventually taken off of it and put into a regular room. Two days later they discharged me. It turns out that I have Type two Diabetes and the nutritionist put me on a a low carb/low calorie diet. Well, since May 4th, I have lost 64 lbs. I can now fit into that apparel and gear, so I decided to don everything and have the wife take a couple pics. We did this in the back yard so I would not freak out the neighbors.

BTW, the Multi-Cam plate carrier, pouches, thigh rig, and Camelbak came from Tactical Tailor. The level III-A plates from AR 500 Armor. Other accessories include Multi-Cam knee and elbow pads, and Mechanix FDE gloves. Pistol: Beretta 92FS w/ six magazines. AR15: CMTS lower/CMMG 14.5" SOCOM upper w/ pinned Phantom 5C2, EOTech 553 FDE and Surefire weaponlight in FDE.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
congrats on getting through the suck and the weight loss.

I like everything but the knee pads it a preference of mine

a few thoughts get a cargo strap style belt to double as a tournicate get a small first aid kit esp with type 2 diabetes.

I like the 92fs
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to diabetes type 2.  

I was diagnosed about 15 years ago and pretty much acquired it from heavy drinking all my life.  Lots of sugar in alcohol!

Got to ask...whats with all the garb??  You ex military or just playing army with the kids next door?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Got to ask...whats with all the garb??  You ex military or just playing army with the kids next door?
View Quote

Maybe he just likes "stuff".  You have anything around your house that you want, but don't really need???  I certainly do.

OP....I like the gear.  Get yourself a top-rate lid and goggles to finish off the look.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]
More power to ya I guess. I prefer to remain as discrete as possible.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Good job on weight loss.

Plate carrier way too low.  The top of the plate should be where your collar bones meet your neck.  Notice how it's not even covering your heart.

Drop leg holster may look cool but suck to use in real life.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good job on weight loss.

Plate carrier way too low.  The top of the plate should be where your collar bones meet your neck.  Notice how it's not even covering your heart.

View Quote

Everything in this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe he just likes "stuff".  You have anything around your house that you want, but don't really need???  I certainly do.

OP....I like the gear.  Get yourself a top-rate lid and goggles to finish off the look.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well there is "stuff" and then there is an adult playing dress up.  I buy "practical" things that have at least some use, not costumes that you wouldn't even step out of your own back yard wearing.  Think about it...where the hell would you wear all that stuff without looking like a complete idiot.

OP even admits he was afraid he would freak out the neighbors.

Even if the world goes to shit and its every man for himself I wouldn't dress up like that for fear of being continually laughed at.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was diagnosed about 15 years ago and pretty much acquired it from heavy drinking all my life.  Lots of sugar in alcohol!

View Quote

I am prior military (Marine Corps Force Recon). You might say that this is my SHTF gear. It pays to be prepared.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good job on weight loss.

View Quote

This was my first real test fit. Like I said, it has been sitting for five years because I could not longer fit into the gear. I will be adjusting it to fit a lot better, but I do have a good idea of how it feels now. Weight distribution is good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats man. Looks good. You look less fat than I do, and I'm 5'9" or 5'10" depending on what day you measure me, and go between 195-205. I need to lose a ton myself. If I could drop down to 160-170 I'd be happy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
congrats on getting through the suck and the weight loss.

I like everything but the knee pads it a preference of mine

a few thoughts get a cargo strap style belt to double as a tournicate get a small first aid kit esp with type 2 diabetes.

I like the 92fs
View Quote

I am wearing a 5.11 Tactical Operator Belt (FDE)- 1.75" Wide. This is what the thigh rig is secured to.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well there is "stuff" and then there is an adult playing dress up.  I buy "practical" things that have at least some use, not costumes that you wouldn't even step out of your own back yard wearing.  Think about it...where the hell would you wear all that stuff without looking like a complete idiot.

Even if the world goes to shit and its every man for himself I wouldn't dress up like that for fear of being continually laughed at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sir, is the difference between you and me. BTW, what I wear is by no means a costume. I spent 15 years of my life in a camoflauge uniform. I have crawled in the dirt, in the sand, slept in the mud, paddled down rivers at night, made amphibious landing in a raft, jumped out of aircraft, repelled from helicopters, dropped from helicopters into the ocean, navigated the woods at night, patroled rivers in a PBR, and a few other things. I earned a right to wear this uniform. Everything on it is purposeful. A friggin' civilian would not understand.

As far as my neighbors are concerned, they know me, my duty to my country, and my patriotism. Truthfully, they would have not been freaked out. If I had taken the picture in my front yard, some members would probably have wondered about what my neighbors thought. So, to eliminate that scenario, I used the back yard. Enough said to you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am prior military (Marine Corps Force Recon). You might say that this is my SHTF gear. It pays to be prepared.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely agree.  When the SHTF you are going to wish you had used that money to buy things that are of real use such as:

ammo
ammo
ammo
bottled water
*** antibiotics *** have your doctor prescribe a bunch for you or order from Canada or Mexico
Water purifier items
various fire starters
food
ammo
ammo
ammo
more weapons
ammo
ammo
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That sir, is the difference between you and me. BTW, what I wear is by no means a costume. I spent 15 years of my life in a camoflauge uniform. I have crawled in the dirt, in the sand, slept in the mud, paddled down rivers at night, made amphibious landing in a raft, jumped out of aircraft, repelled from helicopters, dropped from helicopters into the ocean, navigated the woods at night, patroled rivers in a PBR, and a few other things. I earned a right to wear this uniform. Everything on it is purposeful. A friggin' civilian would not understand.

As far as my neighbors are concerned, they know me, my duty to my country, and my patriotism. Truthfully, they would have not been freaked out. If I had taken the picture in my front yard, some members would probably have wondered about what my neighbors thought. So, to eliminate that scenario, I used the back yard. Enough said to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold on now,...didn't you just say you were not ex-military?  Are you ex-military or not?

If you are then apologies.

ETA:  you are ex- Marine Corps Force Recon??  then many apologies for not reading your post correctly.  I have the utmost respect for anyone in or was in the military.  My late father was a retired Army Col.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Good to go!

I love PTing with my gear on and you may too. I have been out since 2008 and still love the gear.

IT's a fun and functional hobby
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
So Force Recon and you're wearing a plate carrier to protect your belly button ? This seems a little odd to me.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So Force Recon and you're wearing a plate carrier to protect your belly button ? This seems a little odd to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I just love a smartass. Read this.

Quoted:
Good job on weight loss.

Quoted:
This was my first real test fit. Like I said, it has been sitting for five years because I could not longer fit into the gear. I will be adjusting it to fit a lot better, but I do have a good idea of how it feels now. Weight distribution is good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#18]
All good stuff. I've got type 1 diabetes since 1983.
Where are in FL near Pinellas county?  If you are
You can bring your ar and we can try your upper on
The shops dealer sample m16 lower.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#19]
You're surprised that arfcom is critiquing a picture you posted of yourself in full battle rattle asking for critique?
Or am I misunderstanding something?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, you'll know you've become an Arfcom star when they photoshop your bathroom selfie for 7 pages and wind up using one of the pics in a shoot house.

Well, maybe that won't mean you're a star. I'm sure it means something, but now I'm wondering what exactly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Good job on weight loss.

Quoted:

After fifteen years in the Marines I would think a proper fitting plate carrier would become second nature. Especially for a selfie for Arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

After fifteen years in the Marines I would think a proper fitting plate carrier would become second nature. Especially for a selfie for Arfcom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Good job on weight loss.

Quoted:

Maybe he was out before they were ever issued ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Well that explains it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I travel back to OK quite a bit for family.  Now that they've made open carry legal I want a drop leg holster just for the 4 hour drive.  It's way more comfortable than IWB.

Also, because is pisses off my brother-in-law/best friend when I say I'm going to do it.  

ETA:  Good job on the weight loss OP.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I travel back to OK quite a bit for family.  Now that they've made open carry legal I want a drop leg holster just for the 4 hour drive.  It's way more comfortable than IWB.

Also, because is pisses off my brother-in-law/best friend when I say I'm going to do it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should be even more tacticool with a cross draw.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe someplace like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7rZAArtcoY

The OP certainly did not post your typical physical improvement photos, but there's an old saying that seems applicable: To each his own.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Paint your rifle, it's fun.

And damn good job on the weight loss.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mexi-carry is where it's at.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you have ammo belts crossing your chest.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well that explains it.
View Quote

Plate carries are pretty new. They didn't even exist when I came in, and I'm in my 30s.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Funny thing is that was pretty much SOP when I was an 0331. It's a great way to have a starter belt ready to go without having to fuck around with an ammo can.

Case in point: notice the lack of "plate carrier" AND crossed belts.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Funny thing is that was pretty much SOP when I was an 0331. It's a great way to have a starter belt ready to go without having to fuck around with an ammo can.

<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/theglassprison/media/A55502E9-0E11-4C01-BBD8-F86AFF8D8C43_zpslqcn0y8d.png.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx93/theglassprison/A55502E9-0E11-4C01-BBD8-F86AFF8D8C43_zpslqcn0y8d.png</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s745.photobucket.com/user/theglassprison/media/A55502E9-0E11-4C01-BBD8-F86AFF8D8C43_zpslqcn0y8d.png.html" target="_blank">http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx93/theglassprison/A55502E9-0E11-4C01-BBD8-F86AFF8D8C43_zpslqcn0y8d.png</a>

Who do you think you are, Rambo?  

Did the rounds ever get out of alignment in the links?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rarely. We wouldn't do that all the time, only when we KNEW we were going to be shooting very soon, and when we knew we'd need a small amount to get the guns up and firing as fast as possible.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:20:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Just so some of you know, your worries are over. I have adjusted the plate carrier to be positioned where it needs to be. Also, When I was in the Marince Corps (Force Recon 1978-84), we never wore any body armor, not even flak jackets. We traveled light and quiet. I am not in the service anymore, therefore I no longer get paid to be in a position to be shot at. If things ever get bad, I will at least have some personal protection, plenty of firepower, and ammo. As a matter, I could arm and support two squads of Marines with no problem and have some left over. I appreciate the positive comments from the few of you. To the others, you can be prepared for the times that will come and be a survivor or you can be a victim of your own inadequacies.

Here are just the ARs I own.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just so some of you know, your worries are over. I have adjusted the plate carrier to be positioned where it needs to be. Also, When I was in the Marince Corps (Force Recon 1978-84), we never wore any body armor, not even flak jackets. We traveled light and quiet. I am not in the service anymore, therefore I no longer get paid to be in a position to be shot at. If things ever get bad, I will at least have some personal protection, plenty of firepower, and ammo. As a matter, I could arm and support two squads of Marines with no problem and have some left over. I appreciate the positive comments from the few of you. To the others, you can be prepared for the times that will come and be a survivor or you can be a victim of your own inadequacies.

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/003_zps6d63e7dc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/003_zps6d63e7dc.jpg</a>
View Quote

Damn.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Well thanks  for your service and this thread. Been some interesting reading
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best holster for a 4 hour drive?

Wet Okole seat covers Gtote!

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jamesrea_2006/media/Weapons%202014/003_zps6d63e7dc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/jamesrea_2006/Weapons%202014/003_zps6d63e7dc.jpg</a>
View Quote

I thought that fence in your first photo looked familiar.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:36:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just so some of you know, your worries are over. I have adjusted the plate carrier to be positioned where it needs to be. Also, When I was in the Marince Corps (Force Recon 1978-84), we never wore any body armor, not even flak jackets. We traveled light and quiet. I am not in the service anymore...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just so some of you know, your worries are over. I have adjusted the plate carrier to be positioned where it needs to be. Also, When I was in the Marince Corps (Force Recon 1978-84), we never wore any body armor, not even flak jackets. We traveled light and quiet. I am not in the service anymore...

Heh, heh. That was pretty obvious by the absence of a regulation haircut...

Awesome!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!

LOL

Force Recon and now MARSOC don't follow them anyway
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I saw that on my cell today I could only see the three.

Damn dude. your the king of AR's.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Absolutely agree.  When the SHTF you are going to wish you had used that money to buy things that are of real use such as:

ammo
ammo
ammo
bottled water
*** antibiotics *** have your doctor prescribe a bunch for you or order from Canada or Mexico
Water purifier items
various fire starters
food
ammo
ammo
ammo
more weapons
ammo
ammo
View Quote

Your list sucks. If you need that much ammo, you better get some band-aids too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shit. Between that and tactical tailor gear, you just bought my truck haha.

Don't worry about all of the skeptics. ARF is about 60% grassy knoll type. Your gear looks legit. Any reason AR500 over something a little lighter?(I guess you are used to carrying a bit more weight, so replacing fat with steel might be a good compromise).

And DM II is a bitch. I'm sure your glucose/A1C is doing better since dropping weight but make sure you keep up the diet, checks, and exercise or you will be missing a foot or blind....which makes awesome rifles or gear hard to use
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top