Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2014 3:05:40 PM EDT
I just thought that to be a good business model for him.

I am just messing with you crossfit guys of course, but this actually happened.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to the orthopedist in late June when I broke my ankle on my motocross bike. I asked him what he thought about crossfit and with a smirk on his face replied he loves crossfit patients.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Illegal.

Hunting over bait.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Conflict of interest?

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#5]

I had to post an update, gym hasn't been open a month yet and 3 people I know for certain are injured to the point where they can't workout and 1 is injured to the point where they are going to need repair to their shoulder. The shoulder injury occurred when attempting to do a hang snatch.

Jeeze, this is a shock.

Side note: Guess which surgeon got the referral on the shoulder injury consultation. lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, looks like the doc is a really shitty coach....
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

He is not the coach, his S/O is. and I have to agree with you 100%. She had the person who needs their shoulder repaired doing the hang snatch her first few days into cross fit. Keep in mind the injured person has no previous experience in lifting, much less Olympic style lifts. The coach works them all out the same regardless of skill level it sounds.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He is not the coach, his S/O is. and I have to agree with you 100%. She had the person who needs their shoulder repaired doing the hang snatch her first few days into cross fit. Keep in mind the injured person has no previous experience in lifting, much less Olympic style lifts. The coach works them all out the same regardless of skill level it sounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the kind of stuff that gives crossfit a bad name. Well, this and the board shorts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Like a dentist that used to give out candy to kids after their appointments.  I always thought the dentist should open a candy shop next door.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is the kind of stuff that gives crossfit a bad name. Well, this and the board shorts.
View Quote

and it being like a fanatical religion at times.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fucking stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking stupid.

Yep, I had some high hopes for the gym/box. I figured that the ortho would have told the coaches there about the inherent dangers with the lifts and beginners. But nope, it's sad really, because crossfit is a good regimen for women. It pretty much forces their body to burn up their glycogen stores.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it's reasonable to conclude that ALL crossfit coaches and gyms are just like this yahoo.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think it's reasonable to conclude that ALL crossfit coaches and gyms are just like this yahoo.
View Quote

I would have to agree
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#15]
It's only reasonable to judge all of them based on a few.

Totally makes sense!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. I have my torch right here, but my pitchfork is in the shop. Think I'll be ok?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a fan of the rogue fight shorts. I was skeptical at first, but I like them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I kinda stand out when I visit the box. Long workout pants and long sleeve compression top with a tshirt over it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I kinda stand out when I visit the box. Long workout pants and long sleeve compression top with a tshirt over it.
View Quote

How do you expect to take your shirt off mid workout with all of that on? Totally gonna kill your WOD time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Totally makes sense!
View Quote

How does one tell the good from the bad without committing a fee hundred bucks?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally makes sense!

I'd find out what other experience and certifications they have. If it's all "crossfit", I'd steer clear.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally makes sense!

Most should have free intro classes. There's usually other reviews too...hell, you could observe a class and know within 15 min if they know anything.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Most should have free intro classes. There's usually other reviews too...hell, you could observe a class and know within 15 min if they know anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally makes sense!

What should I look for.  Assume zero familiarity with only lifting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally makes sense!

Many gyms have an "on ramp" program to get started with the basics.  It sounds like the ortho doc didn't.  Our coach won't even let people snatch at all with anything heavier than a pvc pipe until they have the technique down.  Baby steps and progression.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally makes sense!

If you're familiar with lifting that's a really good start. You'll be able to spot BS.
Make sure coaches are attentive and not fucking around on their phones (obviously)
I wouldn't like to see noobs kipping pullups
Coaches are strict on form- aren't letting people "get away with things" and they push form over speed.
They should usually do quick refreshers on movements before workouts start- especially more complicated ones.
Coaches should be making constant corrections to form.

Just a few things to look for...there's others, but this covers a lot of the more important ones.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks Rolando and LU.  Pondering a change of venue b/c things are stale and I have gotten fat  post-retirement.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you're familiar with lifting that's a really good start. You'll be able to spot BS.
Make sure coaches are attentive and not fucking around on their phones (obviously)
Coaches are strict on form- aren't letting people "get away with things" and they push form over speed.
They should usually do quick refreshers on movements before workouts start- especially more complicated ones.

Just a few things to look for...there's others, but this covers a lot of the more important ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally makes sense!

Than that wouldn't be crossfit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks Rolando and LU.  Pondering a change of venue b/c things are stale and I have gotten fat  post-retirement.
View Quote

You will lose weight.  No doubt about it.  I've lost about 25 pounds since May, even while eating like a trash compactor.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#29]
My cousin had to have nerves removed from her feet after doing crossfit. The doc blamed crossfit and said that it's not an uncommon thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My cousin had to have nerves removed from her feet after doing crossfit. The doc blamed crossfit and said that it's not an uncommon thing.
View Quote

Strenuous exercise is not for everybody.  A guy in his 60's at my gym just won the state crossfit championship in his division last weekend.  His feet were evidently working okay.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

In other news, guns cause crimes.

I wonder what part of Crossfit destroys nerves. Is it the squats and deadlifts? No...powerlifters do those and they are ok. Oly lifts? No those guys are ok too. The very basic gymnastics movements? Nah they're good too. Running or rowing? I doubt it.

Hmmm....

Is it mixing those things? Well...some athletes have been doing just that for decades, CF just put a name to it and branded it.

I wonder what it could be.

Maybe it's just the name "Crossfit" that makes people's bodies fall apart.

Or maybe the HUGE influx of people doing CF means there's a larger percentage of people getting hurt. Maybe some people are dumb as shit and don't know when to stop. Maybe some gyms have shitty programming and coaching that leads to more injuries.

Blaming CF for some people's stupidity is...well...stupid...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I wonder what part of Crossfit destroys nerves. Is it the squats and deadlifts? No...powerlifters do those and they are ok. Oly lifts? No those guys are ok too. The very basic gymnastics movements? Nah they're good too. Running or rowing? I doubt it.

Hmmm....

Is it mixing those things? Well...some athletes have been doing just that for decades, CF just put a name to it and branded it.

Or maybe the HUGE influx of people doing CF means there's a larger percentage of people getting hurt. Maybe some people are dumb as shit and don't know when to stop. Maybe some gyms have shitty programming and coaching that leads to more injuries.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm....

Too bad you can't just fit all that in your sig, it would save a lot of typing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hmmm....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm....

Every time someone does a WOD, a kitten is killed. See, crossfit is horrible.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hmmm....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm....

I know I bash on CF but I completely agree with you.  People act like CF is something new and is hurting people right and left.  People have been doing CF for years they just didn't call it CF until Glassman bundled it together, gave it some rules and branded.

I mean what do you expect when you have a HUGE number of people who have never really exersiced very much start working out and pushing to their limit.  Just by shear number of participants there are going to be more injuries.  There are football players, basketball players, powerlifter, oly lifters, etc that get hurt all the time because of shitty coaching nothing new.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Whatever. I've never done crossfit but 20 months ago I blew two discs in my neck from years of poor posture as a cube rat. Crossfit causes injuries. I'll never reach my full potential because of crossfit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm....

Well said.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:37:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hmmm....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm....

From what I have seen around and listening to you guys who actually work on form, the problem with crossfit is that it has become so popular that everyone hears about it and wants to do it. So what happens is that Holly Housewife goes to the local x-fit box and then starts training because she heard how great it is from her friend who has been "working out" for years. Holly Housewife then gets a shitty instructor who doesn't know what the word "proper form" means. You can fill in the rest.

It's basically turning a 16 yo kid loose with a early model viper as their 1st car. You need to learn how to drive/have proper form and respect both things. The cars power and the weights mass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hmmm, maybe I'll try CropfitTM instead
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

From what I have seen around and listening to you guys who actually work on form, the problem with crossfit is that it has become so popular that everyone hears about it and wants to do it. So what happens is that Holly Housewife goes to the local x-fit box and then starts training because she heard how great it is from her friend who has been "working out" for years. Holly Housewife then gets a shitty instructor who doesn't know what the word "proper form" means. You can fill in the rest.

It's basically turning a 16 yo kid loose with a early model viper as their 1st car. You need to learn how to drive/have proper form and respect both things. The cars power and the weights mass.
View Quote

So I've worked with a lot of different people. Some of those housewives- as silly as this sounds- have an athletic background, be it sports in HS or something like that. Some people just have great body awareness. When those people have decent coaching they do pretty well usually.
The people that are hard to deal with are the people with no body awareness and have never done ANYTHING athletic. These people require more than just decent coaching...

So, yeah you have this huge influx of people, a fair amount of shitty trainers and a fair amount of shitty gyms. I totally agree.

Here's another thing for you H46- good gyms will also have an in depth "on-ramp" program to get new guys ready to go. They should teach all the basic movements, preferably more than once- and they should at least touch on the oly lifts.

I've been to a few different gyms and you'd be surprised how much the injury rate can vary depending on these things.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#40]
The analogy of the irresponsible 16 y/o in a sports car is inadequate. Adults who try to do the responsible thing by enrolling in Crossfit classes, taught be CERTIFIED Crossfit coaches because of its reputation are getting injured. It's reasonable for them to assume that they are doing things appropriately. Unfortunately, until Crossfit does something about the quality control of its coaching, this will continue to be a legitimate problem.

Don't get me wrong...Crossfit has done amazing things for the health and fitness of tons of people, but to ignore the problems would be stupid. Putting it all on the consumer is retarded. How is an inexperienced, untrained individual supposed to choose the best coach/gym/box when they are clueless and no standards exist?

I fully support disgruntled consumers speaking out against this injustice! Down with Crossfit!

Plus, the cultish mindset of the kook-aid drinkers is fun to exploit.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The analogy of the irresponsible 16 y/o in a sports car is inadequate. Adults who try to do the responsible thing by enrolling in Crossfit classes, taught be CERTIFIED Crossfit coaches because of its reputation are getting injured. It's reasonable for them to assume that they are doing things appropriately. Unfortunately, until Crossfit does something about the quality control of its coaching, this will continue to be a legitimate problem.

Don't get me wrong...Crossfit has done amazing things for the health and fitness of tons of people, but to ignore the problems would be stupid. Putting it all on the consumer is retarded. How is an inexperienced, untrained individual supposed to choose the best coach/gym/box when they are clueless and no standards exist?

I fully support disgruntled consumers speaking out against this injustice! Down with Crossfit!

View Quote

When a kid gets cut loose in a viper at 16. it is the parents fault for getting them that car. Just like it is the trainers fault for not teaching the client proper form etc. Thats the point I was poorly trying to make.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

The issue is bigger than CF. I agree that more should be done- and actually the level 2 aka coaches course is pretty legit. That said, how many online personal trainer certs are there? Pilates, yoga, etc...all have potential for injury, and we've all seen shitty PT's hurt people and waste their time.

This issue- and it IS an issue- is hardly exclusive to CF. You just see it more because of the popularity.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The issue is bigger than CF. I agree that more should be done- and actually the level 2 aka coaches course is pretty legit. That said, how many online personal trainer certs are there? Pilates, yoga, etc...all have potential for injury, and we've all seen shitty PT's hurt people and waste their time.

This issue- and it IS an issue- is hardly exclusive to CF. You just see it more because of the popularity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're right, the popularity of it is not helping.

I agree that there is a potential for injury in any work out regimen, but the margin for error becomes a lot smaller with some of the lifts and routines people do in crossfit. For example, I can thrown my back out trying to do yoga but I doubt I will tear a pec while attempting yoga. Whereas I can more easily tear a pec doing bench press. It goes back to the coaches.

Haha, this gets better, one of the coaches is a PT.

It goes full circle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I agree that there is a potential for injury in any work out regimen, but the margin for error becomes a lot smaller with some of the lifts and routines people do in crossfit. For example, I can thrown my back out trying to do yoga but I doubt I will tear a pec while attempting yoga. Whereas I can more easily tear a pec doing bench press. It goes back to the coaches.

It goes full circle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It goes full circle.

No argument there.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The issue may be bigger than Crossfit, but they are the only ones responsible for the quality of the Crossfit brand and program.

For example, I am a registered professional engineer in my state. To obtain my license I had to demonstrate education, 4 years experience under another PEand knowledge through testing. If I perform poor quality work, I am subject to the judgement of the licensing board. I can have my license suspend or revoked, and/or pay a fine. That is in addition to any criminal charges I may face. Now I'm not suggesting that crossfit be governed by the rule of law or require a degree or years of experience. But I do think that if they took their certifications seriously, they would strengthen their cert process and hold their coaches accountable.

I understand that their business model drives volume to make the most money and I don't have a problem with that. But to excuse their role in this because the rest of the fitness industry is propped up by bogus certifications is ridiculous.

TL;DR: It doesn't matter that it's prevalent throughout the industry. The fact remains that it's an issue within Crossfit and, so far, their response has been a joke.

Note that my beef is really with Crossfit HQ.

The good coaches prove that just a little be of care and pride goes a long way. They do it IN SPITE OF Crossfit and would be successful without Crossfit...just not as rich. Crossfit coaches are rich, right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top