Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 12:17:47 PM EDT
I've been putting in 3-4 miles when I run, but I don't seem to be pushing myself as much as I would like. I usually run alone, listening to music. When I notice myself coasting, I push myself, but then my mind starts wondering and next thing I know I'm coasting again and don't realize it until after I have run another mile. Are there any apps that will beep at me if I start slowing down? I currently use Strava. I was using Mapmyrun, which gives you a update on speed/average mile/etc every 5 minutes, but switched to Strave because that's what all my friends use.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you use a heart rate monitor?  If so, set the thing to sound an alarm whenever you go below a certain BPM.  Also, try running hills.  I find that I experiencing the "coasting" (no pun intended) effect most when I use a stationary bike.  Good luck, OP.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't the latest update of MapMyRun have a ghost mode? If you let it, it'll keep you honest.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Mix in Farleks. It is a funny name but it works.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Garmin watch. Have pace goals.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This and add music with higher cadences that give you a mental boost.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Drink 32oz of prune juice prior to running. That should cause a bit more urgency in your pace.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually go simple and just set time related goals depending on where I think I should be since I don't really run consistently.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:32:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You might be hitting a plateau and not realize it.  If your goal is to get faster and/or more competitive, running the same 3-4 mile workout week-in and week-out, and attempting to get faster at it by simply pushing your pace is a stall-out waiting to happen.  You might need to polarize your program with a few longer, easier runs and a harder, shorter workout once or twice a week for a month or two.

View Quote

I guess it was presumptive of me to assume that that is how most running is programmed?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I guess it was presumptive of me to assume that that is how most running is programmed?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You might be hitting a plateau and not realize it.  If your goal is to get faster and/or more competitive, running the same 3-4 mile workout week-in and week-out, and attempting to get faster at it by simply pushing your pace is a stall-out waiting to happen.  You might need to polarize your program with a few longer, easier runs and a harder, shorter workout once or twice a week for a month or two.

You would be surprised how many people dont do that though. The run the same distance and path forever and wonder why nothing has changed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Do you use a heart rate monitor?  If so, set the thing to sound an alarm whenever you go below a certain BPM.  Also, try running hills.  I find that I experiencing the "coasting" (no pun intended) effect most when I use a stationary bike.  Good luck, OP.
View Quote

No I don't, but I may do that. I do run hills. I live on the bottom half of a hill. so whatever way I end up running that day, I do end up running up hill. Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Doesn't the latest update of MapMyRun have a ghost mode? If you let it, it'll keep you honest.
View Quote

What is ghost mode? I stopped using MapMyRun and switched to Strave because most of my friends were on it. I guess I could run both.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll check out the watch. I do listen to music. I think my main problem is running is relaxing to me, it gives me a chance to think, which I think it the problem. I think to much, and don't concentrate on running enough.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I use the Nike run app on my phone and have it set to give me my time and pace every half mile.   You can set it more often than that if you want.

View Quote

I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

I run a different route and distance every time. I just don't seem to push myself as hard when I am by myself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

What is ghost mode? I stopped using MapMyRun and switched to Strave because most of my friends were on it. I guess I could run both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ghost mode is just where the phone runs a "ghost" of one of your previous runs, and yells at you if you go slower.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a running plan with pacing goals based on your current fitness level.

Enter a race a few months down the road and train for it.

Do fartleks during your runs to change things up.

Mix up your runs with different goals in mind: speed intervals, hill repeats, tempo runs, longer endurance runs.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Like Nike says, just do it. It becomes easy to maintain once it becomes routine for you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll check out the watch. I do listen to music. I think my main problem is running is relaxing to me, it gives me a chance to think, which I think it the problem. I think to much, and don't concentrate on running enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Garmin will give you audio, visual, and tactile alerts if you go outside your desired pace setting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Get a heart rate monitor. Maintain target heart rate for desired distance
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Carry a stopwatch or timer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Heart rate monitor and a training plan that is more varied.

Get rid of the music. With nothing to focus on but running, you will run more.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Get a heart rate monitor. Maintain target heart rate for desired distance
View Quote

It's not 1995 anymore so there's no need to stick with old tech.  Garmins are not expensive.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Yep... best$130 I've spent... (refurbished 610).

Keep an eye on tiger direct...

Knowing pacing,hr is key; adding in programs to throw in pick ups for tempo runs is great...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top