Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2014 9:57:31 AM EDT
Which is better? I can't really see a difference between pulling 150lbs and pushing 150lbs. Is there really that big of a difference?

Also, has anyone tried any of this stuff? http://www.a1supplements.com/Finaflex-1-ANDRO-60-Capsules-p-20261.html
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#1]
A barbell weighs 150 lbs at the beginning, middle and end of the movement. The resistance provided by a band changes according to its spring constant, i.e. the force is variable that peaks at maximum extension of the band.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
There's also the issue of momentum and having to balance the weight. Not to say bands aren't useful, they're just different.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#3]
What these guys said, plus how many very strong people do you know that exclusively use bands?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
free weights all the way, they help develop your stabilizing muscles. Not to mention the muscle is more dense and lasts longer. Resistance bands and machines, to me, where always for trouble areas or some sort of physical rehab. Plus, free weights don't brake.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Free weights.  However if you are talking bands like TRX, they kick my ass.  Much harder then free weights at certain levels.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:39:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Which is better? I can't really see a difference between pulling 150lbs and pushing 150lbs. Is there really that big of a difference?

Also, has anyone tried any of this stuff? http://www.a1supplements.com/Finaflex-1-ANDRO-60-Capsules-p-20261.html
View Quote

What are you talking about?  How is pulling vs pushing relevant to bands vs weights?

Totally different topics, yes?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What these guys said, plus how many very strong people do you know that exclusively use bands?
View Quote

admittedly not exclusively, but lots of the monsters do train with bands... if you check out powerlifters, that's one way they use to jump up their poundage pushed.

bands are handy but as said above they don't apply resistance the same.  personally I don't use them because they're a pain to set up, and all my moves are compound power moves, so bands wouldn't be helpful.  that said, for specific exercises bands can be VERY helpful.  

for instance:

benching

squatting
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#8]
there's a difference between using Bands exclusively and using them as a supplement to free weights...

Op is talking about using them exclusively..?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

admittedly not exclusively, but lots of the monsters do train with bands... if you check out powerlifters, that's one way they use to jump up their poundage pushed.

bands are handy but as said above they don't apply resistance the same.  personally I don't use them because they're a pain to set up, and all my moves are compound power moves, so bands wouldn't be helpful.  that said, for specific exercises bands can be VERY helpful.  

for instance:

benching

squatting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for instance:

benching

squatting

What you are talking about and the OP is talking about are two different things.  

The OP is asking about using bands as the ONLY resistance.  What you are talking about is using bands in COMBINATION with free weight.   RoG is refering to using bands as the ONLY resistance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
there's a difference between using Bands exclusively and using them as a supplement to free weights...

Op is talking about using them exclusively..?
View Quote

Ya, I can see what the disadvantages and differences are now that arf has pointed them out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What are you talking about?  How is pulling vs pushing relevant to bands vs weights?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, now that its been clarified. But at the time I just figured 150lbs was 150lbs. But I guess you cant really "weigh" bands since the resistance/weight changes as you move.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

for instance:

benching

squatting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for instance:

benching

squatting

Yeah that's not what the OP is asking about in any way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

for instance:

benching

squatting

dude asked about bands... i provided a positive aspect of using bands.  never said they were the end all to physical fitness.

sorry i offered something positive about them?  

ETA:  bands can be pretty handy for folks on the road trying to get in quick workouts; buddy of mine used bands for a while on the road, just don't attach them to door knobs
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

dude asked about bands... i provided a positive aspect of using bands.  never said they were the end all to physical fitness.

ETA:  bands can be pretty handy for folks on the road trying to get in quick workouts; buddy of mine used bands for a while on the road, just don't attach them to door knobs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

for instance:

benching

squatting

You're missing the point. There are a ton of great uses from bands- therapy, mods for people who don't have dips or pullups yet, as used in PL like you stated, when traveling, etc.. There's a lot of great things about bands, and I'd wager that most of us here use them for one thing or another.

But, dude didn't ask about bands. He asked about using ONLY bands for resistance training vs. free weights. See the difference?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're missing the point. There are a ton of great uses from bands- therapy, mods for people who don't have dips or pullups yet, as used in PL like you stated, when traveling, etc.. There's a lot of great things about bands, and I'd wager that most of us here use them for one thing or another.

But, dude didn't ask about bands. He asked about using ONLY bands for resistance training vs. free weights. See the difference?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure.  so why not give some other options and share some knowledge?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know you're being sarcastic, but what options do you want? He asked about bands vs. free weights, and he got a lot of really good answers + a few things he could use bands for.

What exactly are you looking for? A replacement to free weights?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know you're being sarcastic, but what options do you want? He asked about bands vs. free weights, and he got a lot of really good answers + a few things he could use bands for.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not a bit, and no sarcasm intended!  i exclusively use free weights.  i was just trying to give some positive uses of bands, that's all.  never intended a debate over any of this, i just don't see why you wouldn't want to give some positive uses when asking about a particular system.  simply trying to help out someone wondering about something they aren't familiar with.  sure, free weights are better in many if not most situations.  i didn't assume anything about the OP or his lifestyle, so why not add something that may possibly help him out?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Completely different muscle groups
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

not a bit, and no sarcasm intended!  i exclusively use free weights.  i was just trying to give some positive uses of bands, that's all.  never intended a debate over any of this, i just don't see why you wouldn't want to give some positive uses when asking about a particular system.  simply trying to help out someone wondering about something they aren't familiar with.  sure, free weights are better in many if not most situations.  i didn't assume anything about the OP or his lifestyle, so why not add something that may possibly help him out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah no worries, and no problem with supplying info too. I guess just the way it was worded made it seem like you thought we were saying bands are bad...which we're not. I mean look at your original post saying that bands are used by really strong PLers....yeah, nobody said they don't...they just don't use them exclusively, and that's what the OP was asking.
If you would have said "yeah, you don't want to exclusively use bands but here are some great uses for them:...." nobody would have said a thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#20]
What about hammer machines vs straight bars. I used a hammer machine for the first time tonight and thought it felt better than a straight bar.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#21]
How do you squat with a hammer machine?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't, I use a smith machine  Or leg press. They felt better, and didn't kill my shoulders like a straight bench. But do you think they will be almost as good as a straight bench.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't, I use a smith machine  Or leg press. They felt better, and didn't kill my shoulders like a straight bench. But do you think they will be almost as good as a straight bench.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just kidding around. If straight bench hurts you could try narrow grip bench or use dumbbells. I'd ditch the machine.

Don't squat in a smith machine, and unless you have a very good reason to use the leg press, I'd cut that too and just squat normally.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was just kidding around. If straight bench hurts you could try narrow grip bench or use dumbbells. I'd ditch the machine.

Don't squat in a smith machine, and unless you have a very good reason to use the leg press, I'd cut that too and just squat normally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey! Me and RoG agree on something weight related!

Machines are good for isolation movements - that's about it. To get stronger you need to focus on compound movements, especially if you're relatively new. Leg press is a massive ego lift (unless you have serious injuries that prevent squats and lunges). It's amazing how many kids go stack 1000 lbs on the leg press machine and act like their 3'' range of motion is something to be proud of. Same could be said about the half squatting kids, but at least they're trying a real lift.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did we disagree about something? I don't remember. Did you ever discover the error of your ways?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Did we disagree about something? I don't remember. Did you ever discover the error of your ways?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have uhhh... differing... opinions on crossfit
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top