Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/14/2014 8:34:16 PM EDT
My diet i am on is a 40/30/30 setup. I am trying my damnedest to get 210gr of protein in per day but i cant seem to get it. Between all the fish, chicken, eggs and almonds, i was hoping to get there but i cant. Anyone have a protein powder that has a shit ton of protein while still keeping the sugars,carbs, and calories in check.

I found Serious Mass and Aftershock Critical Mass but just trying to weigh my options.

I have not lost a single pound since on diet but i am loosing the body fat. Feels good to finally find a diet that you can eat a shit ton and not starve yourself.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Optimum nutrition is my favorite.

24g of protein per scoop

120 calories

3g carbs

1g sugar

I wouldn't get too caught up in what any particular protein powder has in it...
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

24g of protein per scoop

120 calories

3g carbs

1g sugar

View Quote

And it tastes so fucking good.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Optimum Nutrition "gold standard" is the best you can get. There was a big thread on bodybuilding.com a while back where ~20 brands were independently tested for protein content/quality and almost all were grossly misrepresented on the label.

For example, some cheap brand claimed 22g of protein per serving and actually had 1g.

Apparently supplements aren't regulated by the same standards as regular food by the FDA.

That said, I don't know what your goals are but it's probably unnecessary to take in 200g of protein per day.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you tell me how many servings in each container? I see the 2lb and 5lb jugs so I know it might get be dependent on what jug you have.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Optimum Nutrition "gold standard" is the best you can get. There was a big thread on bodybuilding.com a while back where ~20 brands were independently tested for protein content/quality and almost all were grossly misrepresented on the label.

For example, some cheap brand claimed 22g of protein per serving and actually had 1g.

Apparently supplements aren't regulated by to the same standards as regular food by the FDA.

That said, I don't know what your goals are but it's probably unnecessary to take in 200g of protein per day.
View Quote

I have a bag of eas from Sam's and that is some horrible shit. I drink it because I bought it but I won't do that again.

Upon reading, body builders, athletes, etc, eat about a gram of protein per pound of body weight. It allows the body to use the excess body fat for energy. Plus, it allows me to eat all the meat I want as long as I get in good carbs and fats.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

24g of protein per scoop

120 calories

3g carbs

1g sugar

It really does.

I've yet to find a rival in terms of taste.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have a bag of eas from Sam's and that is some horrible shit. I drink it because I bought it but I won't do that again.

Upon reading, body builders, athletes, etc, eat about a gram of protein per pound of body weight. It allows the body to use the excess body fat for energy. Plus, it allows me to eat all the meat I want as long as I get in good carbs and fats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently supplements aren't regulated by to the same standards as regular food by the FDA.

Yeah, alot of those "bodybuilders/athletes" make most of their money by selling supplements. As long as you're lifting/exercising properly and getting the right number of calories to gain/lose what you want you could eat 100g of protein and not notice a difference.

Point being, don't kill yourself trying to cram food/supps to hit a magic protein number becuase it'll get old quick.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

24g of protein per scoop

120 calories

3g carbs

1g sugar

View Quote

winner

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like I'll be ordering some here shortly!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, alot of those "bodybuilders/athletes" make most of their money by selling supplements. As long as you're lifting/exercising properly and getting the right number of calories to gain/lose what you want you could eat 100g of protein and not notice a difference.

Point being, don't kill yourself trying to cram food/supps to hit a magic protein number becuase it'll get old quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every time I stopped bodybuilding was completely due to having to eat all the time...

Got burned out on food
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
give dymatize a try.  my GI couldn't handle ON products

either way natural food is your best bet.   pre cook/bake/ grill   pork chops or chicken for your week with some organic brown rice.  good stuff and its SO easy to prepare the rice in a 13 dollar rice cooker! .   swap  Quinoa with the rice every few weeks for even more protein and fiber
View Quote

I like dymatize and it is not as expensive as ON and I think just as good.   I've tried both.  I think dymatize tastes better.  Same size tubs for $10-$12 less.

OP what part of TX you in?   Lockout Supplements is in McKinney (North of DFW).  They have a black iron gym open now, but you can order online and choose to pick up @ their building.  I've ordered in the morning and picked up @ lunch.  Nice extra savings that way.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I've seen ON at my local Costco for $50 for a container with 50 servings.  I don't think it's the gold standard, just the regular.

I'm going to switch that next time I'm at Costco. I've been using GNC's brand whey protein.  It's got 24g protein, 6 g carbs and 140 calories per scoop.  I mix with 10oz milk for another 10 g protein.  tastes pretty good and cost $27 for 27 servings.

OP, if I remember correctly, the recommendation for protein intake is 1g of protein for every pound of lean body weight.  So depending on your body composition, you might be able to go under 200g and still take in enough protein to support your training.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

winner

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

24g of protein per scoop

120 calories

3g carbs

1g sugar

winner

I "third" the O.N..  Been using it for several years.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Anything sold at GNC does not go into my body (other then the elemental supplements).  Metagenetics or NuMedica (Absolute Protein) are best.  No gluten, soy, etc....that all the others have.  All should be on Amazon if you are interested.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#17]
My TN Beef Isolate has 29.5g of protein in every 30g scoop...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I used ON's "Gold Standard" and their "Optimum Performance Whey" in a few different flavors and wasn't impressed with the taste or texture (too watery) of either one. I think the Syntha-6 Isolate has a much better taste (a bit thick, though) and Vitamin Shoppe's "Body Tech Pro-24" has the best combination of taste, texture, and price...with comparable macros to Gold Standard.

That Carnivore beef isolate gave me gas that would peel paint, so i definitely wouldn't recommend that one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I used ON's "Gold Standard" and their "Optimum Performance Whey" in a few different flavors and wasn't impressed with the taste or texture (too watery) of either one. I think the Syntha-6 Isolate has a much better taste (a bit thick, though) and Vitamin Shoppe's "Body Tech Pro-24" has the best combination of taste, texture, and price...with comparable macros to Gold Standard.

That Carnivore beef isolate gave me gas that would peel paint, so i definitely wouldn't recommend that one.
View Quote

That's pretty easy to fix. Don't put as much water in it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry everyone for not responding today. Work was nuts! I am in Tyler, Tx area so not much in the nutritional market other GNC or complete nutrition.

I reason i am shooting for such high protein intake is because its the fastest way to get the lean body mass. I have around 15lbs to loose. Of course, we all know that everyone here is in Herculean type a physique and are legit Tier 1 DevGru Space Shuttle Door Gunners. Or depends on who asks, 11B.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Have you considered getting professional advice from a nutritionist?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you considered getting professional advice from a nutritionist?
View Quote

And have them charge me several hundred dollars for the same thing i can research on the internet? Its not really hard to find professional athletes diet layouts online.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#24]
OP

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/

and

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167

Same guy.  GREAT nutritional info and great programming info too!
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/

and

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167

Same guy.  GREAT nutritional info and great programming info too!
View Quote

Thanks for the links. I'll have to look at them tomorrow. Apparently the wife wants to watch one of her feel good chick flick movies.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#26]
This is typically what I abide by.

The author's a triathlete and elite powerlifter that's around 8% BF at 220lbs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It really does.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

24g of protein per scoop

120 calories

3g carbs

1g sugar

It really does.

Cellucor > ON. I was big on ON at first but the taste really isnt that great compared to other whey proteins.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I use Ultimate Nutrition Iso-Sensation 93, which is a 32g scoop and has 30g of protein in that scoop, which I guess equals 93% per scoop....or so they say

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/un/sensation.html

5 Lbs.Cookies N Cream
Serving Size1Scoop(32g)
Servings Per Container69
Amount Per Serving
Calories130
5 Lbs.Cookies N Cream
Serving Size1Scoop(32g)
Servings Per Container69
Amount Per Serving
Calories130
% Daily Value

Carbohydrate1g0%
Sugar<1g
Protein30g60%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Other Ingredients
IsoChill® (Double Cold-Temperature Processed Cross-Flow Full-Spectrum Premium Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate), Chocolate Cookie Pieces {Sugar, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate[Vitamin B1], Riboflavin[Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cocoa Processed With Alkali, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Baking Soda, Cornstarch, Salt, Soy Lecithin(Emulsifier), Chocolate, Vanillin}, Colostrum, Glutamine Complex (Glutamine Peptides, Glutapure®, Glutamine, N-Acetyl L-Glutamine), SI Complex (Alpha Lipoic Acid, D-Pinitol, 4-Hydroxyisoleucine), D Complex (Protease, Lactase), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Lactoferrin, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin
Contains milk, soy and wheat
Carbohydrate1g0%
Sugar<1g
Protein30g60%
Calcium16%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Other Ingredients
IsoChill® (Double Cold-Temperature Processed Cross-Flow Full-Spectrum Premium Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate), Chocolate Cookie Pieces {Sugar, Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate[Vitamin B1], Riboflavin[Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cocoa Processed With Alkali, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Baking Soda, Cornstarch, Salt, Soy Lecithin(Emulsifier), Chocolate, Vanillin}, Colostrum, Glutamine Complex (Glutamine Peptides, Glutapure®, Glutamine, N-Acetyl L-Glutamine), SI Complex (Alpha Lipoic Acid, D-Pinitol, 4-Hydroxyisoleucine), D Complex (Protease, Lactase), Natural And Artificial Flavors, Lactoferrin, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Soy Lecithin
Contains milk, soy and wheat
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought i would give a little more info about myself here as well. Two years ago unknown to me, i started showing signs of lowT. I thought it was having a newborn so i didnt think much of it and pressed on. It wasnt until May of this year i couldnt take it anymore and went to a doctor for blood test. Comes back with lowT, low thyroid,ect...No wonder i was living my life like a zombie. Started trt and doctor didnt tell me that it effects fertility. Now i am off trt and trying to gain my fertility back with the use of clomid(which produces symptoms just like having lowT.)

I am trying to get my daily diet on lockdown because this winter i plan on running a cutting cycle. Without proper diet, you can take all the drugs you want but it will yield you little to no results. I hope this answers the question in which why i am seeking such a high protein diet. Besides, i love eating and this type of eating allows me to eat a shit ton.

Thanks everyone for the links to the nutrition sites. I have alot of reading ahead and learning ahead.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I like dymatize and it is not as expensive as ON and I think just as good.   I've tried both.  I think dymatize tastes better.  Same size tubs for $10-$12 less.

OP what part of TX you in?   Lockout Supplements is in McKinney (North of DFW).  They have a black iron gym open now, but you can order online and choose to pick up @ their building.  I've ordered in the morning and picked up @ lunch.  Nice extra savings that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
give dymatize a try.  my GI couldn't handle ON products

either way natural food is your best bet.   pre cook/bake/ grill   pork chops or chicken for your week with some organic brown rice.  good stuff and its SO easy to prepare the rice in a 13 dollar rice cooker! .   swap  Quinoa with the rice every few weeks for even more protein and fiber

So which dymatize are you getting? They have the iso 100 or the elite. About a $40per container difference.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I've tried both.

I use elite now.  Unless you are really stomach sensitive go for elite.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've tried both.

I use elite now.  Unless you are really stomach sensitive go for elite.
View Quote

Luckily, I have a cast iron stomach. I have had to eat stuff that would make a Billy goat puke.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Cellucor > ON. I was big on ON at first but the taste really isnt that great compared to other whey proteins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

24g of protein per scoop

120 calories

3g carbs

1g sugar

It really does.

Seriously, gold standard?   Rockyroad is so good.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll throw my vote for

Matrix 5.0  

Orange cream has the lower carbs.

Peanutbutter cookie is the only shake i've ever said... "damn I want a protein shake"  about...  Ever...  

Seriously...

Ever...

Like 14 years of drinking them...  
True nutrition's beef protein with peanutbutter or coffee flavor is fucking epic too though...   and ~0 carbs.

And OP:   There are really some good resources on this subforum...  High level military, (retired) professional fighters,  High level powerlifters, etc.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'll throw my vote for

Matrix 5.0  

Orange cream has the lower carbs.

Peanutbutter cookie is the only shake i've ever said... "damn I want a protein shake"  about...  Ever...  

Seriously...

Ever...

Like 14 years of drinking them...  

True nutrition's beef protein with peanutbutter or coffee flavor is fucking epic too though...   and ~0 carbs.

And OP:   There are really some good resources on this subforum...  High level military, (retired) professional fighters,  High level powerlifters, etc.
View Quote

My cheap eas shakes are all but turning me off. I am going to order some powder I just have to figure out which one.

I thought we were all professional fighters here? I watched some videos so.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/DonKey153/media/Protein_zps4b31c5fb.png.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/DonKey153/Protein_zps4b31c5fb.png</a>

View Quote

Thanks for the chart, I was coming to ask about one of those.

How much protein can you actually eat in a day? From whey, and just in general.

Out of 200g how much does a body absorb?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/DonKey153/media/Protein_zps4b31c5fb.png.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/DonKey153/Protein_zps4b31c5fb.png</a>

I don't know the answer to any of that, but I suspect it varies from person to person with different muscle mass, metabolism and activity level.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Read Viada's article linked above.  

In short:

It will essentially absorb anything you put into it... whether the protein is used for the intended purpose is the question... otherwise, the protein is just calories, and subsequently be turned into fat.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, got the ON cake batter. Holy crap....
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a question on this.

I've looked back at my protein intake for a while ( I'm logging all my food intake into the app I've mentioned )
and my protein intake averages 17gr to a high 34 I think.

I'm trying to keep my calories down and energy up, but this 3x5 along with the 100 pushups and 200 situps ( I'm no where close to my goals yet ) which I'm doing
Mon.- Wed.- Fri.- and on Tue.- Thur.- Sat. calisthenics, the pushups and situps and a 3.5 mile walk.

I'm getting smoked when I don't think I should be.
After reading this thread I'm wondering if my protein is way to low?

I worry about gaining so I'm eating a really lean diet of mainly chicken a little tuna and pork chops once in a while along with all the veggies. Beef just occasionally.
Very low fat.

Doc said all my blood work was good but the good cholesterol was a little low.

What do y'all recommend?
Do I need to eat more of something or what.
I just don't want to gain any weight.

I want to get my energy level up to where it should be.
Pretty frustrated right now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've looked back at my protein intake for a while ( I'm logging all my food intake into the app I've mentioned )

I'm trying to keep my calories down and energy up, but this 3x5 along with the 100 pushups and 200 situps ( I'm no where close to my goals yet ) which I'm doing
Mon.- Wed.- Fri.- and on Tue.- Thur.- Sat. calisthenics, the pushups and situps and a 3.5 mile walk.

I worry about gaining so I'm eating a really lean diet of mainly chicken a little tuna and pork chops once in a while along with all the veggies. Beef just occasionally.
Very low fat.

What do y'all recommend?

View Quote

17-34gr a day? Sounds very low.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Very low fat.

What do y'all recommend?

View Quote

A day??? shit dude, you need to eat more.

Why are you eating low fat? Eat more fat, eat more protein. You're getting smoked and not performing because your diet sucks. You need more protein and more fat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why are you eating low fat? Eat more fat, eat more protein. You're getting smoked and not performing because your diet sucks. You need more protein and more fat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very low fat.

What do y'all recommend?

I still have more weight to drop. I've been trying to keep my calories between 1200-1800 a day. That's not counting the calories I burn working out.
I thought that if I keep the calories down to what I've actually eaten then the workout calories would be extra.
There have been a few times where I went over into the workout calories though.

I don't know how to eat more protein without gaining.
I know that I've got to get this figured out though.
Today my ass was dragging, no energy.

ETA: Today on benches, on each set when I would get to my fourth rep it would be a struggle and on my fifth rep on all three sets I just barely got it back up.
The last rep of the last set I damn near dropped it. ( I was in the power rack )

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I still have more weight to drop. I've been trying to keep my calories between 1200-1800 a day. That's not counting the calories I burn working out.
I thought that if I keep the calories down to what I've actually eaten then the workout calories would be extra.

ETA: Today on benches, on each set when I would get to my fourth rep it would be a struggle and on my fifth rep on all three sets I just barely got it back up.
The last rep of the last set I damn near dropped it. ( I was in the power rack )

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very low fat.

What do y'all recommend?

no kidding theres no energy, you're not getting enough protein, fat, or calories to fuel your workouts. are you more concerned with what the scale says or how you look and perform?

current height and weight?

eta- not counting workout cals....forget that, its not accurate. What's your total calorie intake?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

no kidding theres no energy, you're not getting enough protein, fat, or calories to fuel your workouts. are you more concerned with what the scale says or how you look and perform?

eta- not counting workout cals....forget that, its not accurate. What's your total calorie intake?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very low fat.

What do y'all recommend?

I'm 6'1 last weighted 2 weeks ago at 231, I think now I'm between that and 225.

I'm wanting to get to 185 . once I'm closer to my goal I'll know if I need to go lower or a little higher.

My actual calories are between 1200 and 1800. That's the actual amount I take in.

A few times I've went a little over 2000 but not very often.

The app I use to log and keep track cuts the calorie intake down every time I weigh.
I used to weigh once a week but now it's about every 2 - weeks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The vanilla whey isolate at Walmart has 30g protein and <1g carbs per scoop, and it mixes great in a shaker with water. It costs a little more than their regular whey protein but for someone keeping their carbs in check (I'm currently keto) it's worth it.
View Quote

I'm not really counting carbs, it's the calories I'm watching.
Does the protein powders make you gain weight ?

Would I still have to adjust my diet taking them?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm 6'1 last weighted 2 weeks ago at 231, I think now I'm between that and 225.

I'm wanting to get to 185 . once I'm closer to my goal I'll know if I need to go lower or a little higher.

My actual calories are between 1200 and 1800. That's the actual amount I take in.

A few times I've went a little over 2000 but not very often.

The app I use to log and keep track cuts the calorie intake down every time I weigh.
I used to weigh once a week but now it's about every 2 - weeks.
View Quote

perspective:

I probably workout more, but I eat around 3,000 cals a day. I'm 5'9" and a fairly solid 186.

IMO stop worrying bout weight, up your calories, up your protein and up your fat. Watch your workouts improve. Build muscle, make small tweaks to lean out and call it good.

eta- you're eating 1200 cals a day, little fat, little protein. You're eating mostly carbs. Great way to not build muscle and not lose fat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top