Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 6:04:34 AM EDT
I've gotten to the point now where when I bench press the weight is starting to really kill me in a certain area of my hands.  I went to Academy over the weekend and found some different gloves that had small square pads in certain points (Nike brand) thinking it should help.  Well I get home, start lifting again and the pads do nothing.  The bar keeps settling into one small area of my hand which is the outer part of my hand right near the middle.  Maybe it's just how I lift..I dont know.  

I was thinking about maybe buying one of those pads you place on the bar to cushion your neck when you do squats.  Cut that in half and use that for a cushion on the hand but my concern is that those things are rather thick and will easily rotate around the bar so I'm a little concerned from a safety standpoint about that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:30:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm definitely not the most experienced lifter here, but I'd say it's a grip issue.  I'd be very leery of benching with padded gloves on.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#2]
It's better to be able to feel the bar IMO. You'll get used to it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm definitely not the most experienced lifter here, but I'd say it's a grip issue.  I'd be very leery of benching with padded gloves on.
View Quote

Was thinking that too.  I had a similar issue and fixing my grip fixed it
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you use chalk?  Sounds like grip issues.  Also if you are benching very heavy would wrist wraps be a better choice.

Like RoG said...better to be able to feel the bar.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#5]
How much are you benching?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Make sure your grip is proper and not flexed/extended... but neutral wrist.

Then push through the pain. If it hurts,  It's only temporary, and you can always wiggle the Barr into different positions ifs it hurts that bad.  I have on occasion blown a blood vessel in my hand, it is painful to press on...

Don't use gloves.  Just don't.

Other option: buy some fat grips...

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure your grip is proper and not flexed/extended... but neutral wrist.

View Quote

I agree with DT check your grip. Sounds like you have it to far toward you fingers. When you bench it should push into the meaty part of your hand toward your wrist.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with the Fat Gripz or thick bar idea. I usually use a thick bar for Zerchers, makes me feel like less of a pussy that using a towel or the bar pad.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Post a pic of  your grip.

You are most likely doing it wrong. Experiment a little until you find something that doesnt hurt.

No one uses gloves for benching.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the guys here are pointing you in the right direction.

Here is an article from the SS forum on proper grip:
http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/article/gripping_matters#.U9g_unkg9jo

Whatever you do don't use the tampon to grip the bar while benching. Your instinct about the safety of that setup is spot on I think. You can google the video of the Russian lifter who is no more after letting a bench slip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top