Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 6:09:55 AM EDT
Well it is getting to 100+ now and I really need to start running and biking more than I do. No I will not wake up at 4 to work out, its in the high 70s then. I would rather just run or bike in the heat. Any pointers? Or should I just suck it up and do it?

At 4am its 75-80 out
At 4pm its about 98+
At 8pm its 90+

ETA: There is almost no shade out here
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I did some of my best workouts in 110+ degree weather outside in Iraq during most of my 12 months tours, the heat didnt bother me once I got use to.
I have since gained 20 pounds and have gotten outta shape over the last 2 years.... so it been harder getting back in shape even in 95 degree days.
Start slow or light, hydrate, and if ya burn easily, cover up.... you will get use to it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I recommend that anyone who works out in high/hot/humid conditions do so with a heart rate monitor.

You will find that while you feel pretty good relative to working out in lower/cooler/drier conditions, the environment exacts a high toll on your heart rate.

In other words, your actual heart rate will typically be much higher than perceived exertion would lead you to believe.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to work out in Camp Fallujah...~120+ many days. In the "gym" (tent) was 105, despite the AC.

-Start slow...just a few minutes of exertion to start out and build from there. It takes time to acclimatize.
-Obviously drink a LOT of water.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Your body will acclimatize by doing things like increasing blood plasma volume and decreasing the salinity of your sweat.

Take things slowly at first until you get used to the heat and realize that, even acclimatized, you won't match cooler weather performance.  During endurance exercise, the body produces 3 calories of waste heat for every calorie of work performed and that heat has to be eliminated to sustain performance.  Fail to transfer the heat and work rate (performance) will drop.

ETA - cycling typically has a higher heat transfer rate via convection than running since you're moving through a greater volume of air per unit time so if you have to train at the hottest time of the day, cycling may be a better choice.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA - cycling typically has a higher heat transfer rate via convection than running since you're moving through a greater volume of air per unit time so if you have to train at the hottest time of the day, cycling may be a better choice.

View Quote

I have never thought about that!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
ever go for a aggressive ride and stop at a traffic light? that's when the sweat starts pouring
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Did 16 miles of offroad riding yesterday afternoon while the temps approached 100 degrees.  Sucked a 3 liter camelbak dry.  I would not want to ride with it much hotter, but at least I had the shade of the trees.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bring the physics...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Was supposed to ruck 20 miles on Saturday starting at 6pm.  I mistakenly froze my water bladder ahead of time while also bringing in the backpack and bricks inside to pack.  The ice had always melted before but that was on days where I'd left the pack and bricks in the bed of my truck all day.

At mile 5 I had not yet had any water to drink so I hit a walgreens for a quart of poweraide.  At mile 12 I'd only had a little bit of water melt and so I called my wife to pick me up.  The other guys that were with me had drained their 100oz bladders dry in the three hours it took to do the 12m.

Walking in the heat sucks but especially with a frozen bladder.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I ride my mountain bike 3 days per week in the summer and not at all in the winter.  Idaho winters are too cold for my natural Southern comforts.  During the winter, I move indoors and train in kickboxing.  Maybe in Texas, you should be doing the opposite of me?  Ride in the winter months and find something you enjoy doing indoors during the summer.   A benefit of doing things this way is it keeps things fresh.  Cycling doesn't get old and neither does the kickboxing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top