Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2014 2:11:39 PM EDT
I am thinking about setting up a gym in my garage, it is not climate controlled.

I do the real man's stuff, squats, deads, etc.  I love the gym where I am, but my dead lifts are getting a little heavier and due to the building the gym is in I have to set the bar down really slow, I can't let it hit the floor hard at all.  It seems to be more risky that way letting the weight down so slow.

I can deal with the heat just fine, but what about when it is 20 degrees outside?

What do you guys do?  Just wear more clothing and get er done?  

Is the cold bad to work out in from a potential injury standpoint?

To be clear, the cold doesn't bother me, just not sure if it is more risky from an injury standpoint.  I would of course warm up properly.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am thinking about setting up a gym in my garage, it is not climate controlled.

I do the real man's stuff, squats, deads, etc.  I love the gym where I am, but my dead lifts are getting a little heavier and due to the building the gym is in I have to set the bar down really slow, I can't let it hit the floor hard at all.  It seems to be more risky that way letting the weight down so slow.

I can deal with the heat just fine, but what about when it is 20 degrees outside?

What do you guys do?  Just wear more clothing and get er done?  

Is the cold bad to work out in from a potential injury standpoint?

To be clear, the cold doesn't bother me, just not sure if it is more risky from an injury standpoint.  I would of course warm up properly.

Thanks
View Quote

I have a finished 3 car garage and blew insulation in the attic above.  The garage doors are insulated, but they don't seal worth a damn so cold air still get's in and some days it can be pretty cold in there, but nothing extreme.  Right now I use a kerosene heater during the winter.  I'll light it about a half hour or so before working out and it's warm enough.  I was worried the kerosene smell would be a problem when I'm breathing heavy, but I don't really notice it.   For clothes, I wear a hoodie while warming up and will usually take it off not long into the workout because it's getting too hot.   When it's 20 degrees outside, it will still be a lot warmer in your garage and most likely above freezing.

edit....I realized after that you were talking about your gym floor and not your garage.   As for the floor, you can lay down a sheet of plywood in the spot where you're deadlifting, or stop by a Cal Ranch store or something similar and pick up a Horse Stall Mat. Or, get both.   You'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
In the winter I just put on more clothes and have to start taking them off when I warm up.

In the summer I just sweat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Live in the middle of the desert so I have no idea.....was 115 on Wednesday when I was lifting
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I wear fewer clothes in summer, more clothes in winter. Fan in summer, space heater in winter. Winter requires more warmups.

And remember, we get the Southern Snow/Ice, which is much colder/icier/slicker than what you guys get.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I'm going to bring my barbell inside at night during the winter. I hate holding onto a cold ass barbell.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wear fewer clothes in summer, more clothes in winter. Fan in summer, space heater in winter. Winter requires more warmups.

And remember, we get the Southern Snow/Ice, which is much colder/icier/slicker than what you guys get.
View Quote

Yes.  And that humid cold is much worse.  We are very dry here.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Winter--- Hoodies... gloves, tights, whatever it takes.  I've worked out in -20... fucking sucks.   Kerosene heaters would be an option. but fuck I hate the smell.

Summer: Big fucking fan...   and lifting nearly naked....    did I mention a big ass fan?...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
In the winter I have to put on shoes but still workout in my underwear.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Winter--- Hoodies... gloves, tights, whatever it takes.  I've worked out in -20... fucking sucks.   Kerosene heaters would be an option. but fuck I hate the smell.

Summer: Big fucking fan...   and lifting nearly naked....    did I mention a big ass fan?...
View Quote

Would an electic space heater be enough? No smell that way.

I have two big fans for summer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:22:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking of one of those propane radiant heaters, but... I'm hesitant because the way I see it, by the time my garage gets anywhat warm, I'll be warmed up anyway?...  

I totally agree with the above about the cold bar being the worst... Someone should design a "bar heater"...   hmmmn....  
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't found one that was worth a damn for heating a garage.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#12]
As far as the garage floor is concerned, you will need at least stall mats, a full platform buildout is preferred if noise reduction is the goal.  I also suggest getting bumper plates.  This will not only quiet the deadlifts down, it will also allow you to Oly lift on your platform.

As far as climate control goes, a good space heater and some insulation will do the trick for the winter time.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a heater that mounts on top of a 20 pound propane bottle.  I start it a half an hour or so before I workout.  I use gloves because the cold bar sucks and it gets below zero some days here.  No matter how much you heat the room the bar will still be cold.  It doesn't get very warm during the worst months, but I can stand in front of the heater between the first few sets to keep warm.  After that my blood is pumping enough along with adapting to the cold that I feel fine.  Getting started in the cold takes a little longer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use a heater that mounts on top of a 20 pound propane bottle.  I start it a half an hour or so before I workout.  I use gloves because the cold bar sucks and it gets below zero some days here.  No matter how much you heat the room the bar will still be cold.  It doesn't get very warm during the worst months, but I can stand in front of the heater between the first few sets to keep warm.  After that my blood is pumping enough along with adapting to the cold that I feel fine.  Getting started in the cold takes a little longer.
View Quote

never thought about the cold bar...hmmm.  that would suck
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Summer - Big fan with open windows and doors.
Winter - I warm up on the tread mill in the house.  Wear layers of clothes and take them off as needed.  We got a cold snap last winter where it was -10 or so for over a week.  I lifted in a hat and mechanix gloves.  The bar is cold btw.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#17]
OP - I went your route for a few years and my garage is fully insulated, however it doesn't have heat or AC. Even when I left the door from the house to the garage open for over an hour, the bars are still cold in the winter, your joints don't warm up as quick, and it still smells like a garage - which is great when you aren't working out. Turning on a propane heater just amps that smell up. In the summer it still gets too hot, and well, smells like a garage when breathing hard and working out. YMMV so if those are things you can live with then you might be fine. After my garage stint, I move what I could fit into our basement family room but ran out of space. I joined a gym this last spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top