Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 8:46:46 AM EDT
so i started trying to turn my self around this year. slow and steady is the name of the game life style change down 35 lbs  so far this year.

do you consider push ups at 300lbs+ to be heavy weight work to the point that i should do rest days.

i currently do a set  15 and 2 set of 10 regualr push ups , then decline push ups with feet on a 10" high block 5 sets of 5. im 6'3 and  330lbs
i always try to get out 1 more rep each work out to push my self, and im always sore in a good way the next day.

do you think it is ok to swim laps the next day aka rest day? To the tune of 1600 yards in about 40min.  

im considering switching to a push/pull routine, but at my weight cardio is important and swimming is so much better on my joints im just worried it will kill my muscle recovery.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Get yourself in push up position and put your hands on a bathroom scale...that will give you a pretty good idea how much weight an equivalent bench press would be.  It will be a little more when your feet are elevated.  You will be surprised how much less it is compared to your body weight.

As for the swimming, I bet if you swim easy on the same day your recovery would be better.  Save the hard swimming for a different day, but using the muscles and increasing the blood flow for 30 min or so after working out will help the muscle cells flush out the lactic acid that makes them sore.

Good luck and keep at it!

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to do body weight stuff everyday.  It's like walking around. You don't get sore from walking 10 feet. But if you walked a mile you would be sore. However if you walked a mile everyday you wouldn't. Your body gets used to doing it.

It's conditioning.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Try looking into something more organized.  I like Scott Sonnons 'TacFit'.   He offers several variations of it. I have both his 'Warrior' program and the kettlebell program.  You may find them very interesting and helpful.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm 6'3" and often hover atound 300. Don't do many push ups, but when I do dips, even light sets (just bodyweight), my pecs and triceps feel similar to how they feel after a pretty good bench day.

Relative strength rarely scales proportional to body mass, even in the rare cases that it's mostly muscle. A 5'10" 200# guy at 12% b.f. will generally do more chins and push ups than a 6'5" 300# guy at 12% b.f.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm 6'3" and often hover atound 300. Don't do many push ups, but when I do dips, even light sets (just bodyweight), my pecs and triceps feel similar to how they feel after a pretty good bench day.

Relative strength rarely scales proportional to body mass, even in the rare cases that it's mostly muscle. A 5'10" 200# guy at 12% b.f. will generally do more chins and push ups than a 6'5" 300# guy at 12% b.f.
View Quote

I agree.  Guys have to remember that "body weight" exercises are different than day to day activity unless you have a pretty strenuous day to day routine.  Walking around at 300+ lbs doesn't really work your leg muscles that much as your leg bones are actually bearing the majority of the load.  Your muscles are mostly just balancing.  That is why many people can walk around OK, but ask them to climb a couple of flights of stairs and their legs give out because now the muscles have to support and lift the weight instead of just holding the bones straight.

Upper body is even worse because most people's day to day activity consists of carrying a cup of coffee and a notebook.  Doing push ups or dips (correctly) can be a very tough workout! Arms, shoulders and pecks are not meant to support your body weight, much less perform repeated resistance exercises with that weight.  

A person can build up to doing multiple sets of push ups, dips etc. every day but it takes time...especially if you start out as a pretty large person because your strength to weight ratio is probably well below average.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get yourself in push up position and put your hands on a bathroom scale...that will give you a pretty good idea how much weight an equivalent bench press would be.  It will be a little more when your feet are elevated.  You will be surprised how much less it is compared to your body weight.

As for the swimming, I bet if you swim easy on the same day your recovery would be better.  Save the hard swimming for a different day, but using the muscles and increasing the blood flow for 30 min or so after working out will help the muscle cells flush out the lactic acid that makes them sore.

Good luck and keep at it!

View Quote

Never freaking thought of that !
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#7]
did regualr push up position... 210lbs on the scale aprox 64% of my body weight....  

i gues that is inline with what i thought it would be
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

did regualr push up position... 210lbs on the scale aprox 64% of my body weight....  

i gues that is inline with what i thought it would be
View Quote

So there ya go...about 210 lbs bench press would be close to you doing a push up.  So if you are doing a set of 15 and two sets of 10 that is a pretty good workout!

I'm 215 and the scale reads 145 when I am in standard position.  About 67% of my body weight.  Pretty close to the same ratio.  When I do push ups I tend to keep my elbows tight to my sides and I use a pair of "perfect push up" handles.  Hands are in a "pistol grip" orientation and when I come down my hands are pretty much parallel to my nipples (no you can't milk me!)  This puts about 10 - 15 lbs more on the scale than when I am in standard position which would have my hands more in line with my shoulders.  This makes it about 74% of my body weight.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I got on the scale and I'm showing 162.
Weight is 236
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top