Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2014 7:31:12 AM EDT
My wife and I lift 3 days/week based off of the Starting Strength premise. Shooting for a push and a pull movement on each area of the body using all big multijoint movements except of course for biceps and shrugs which is when my wife heads into the house to get dinner ready while I finish up the vanity portion of the workout.

My goal is to keep it short, sweet and thorough. We're not looking to compete, just get more agile and generally healthier.

The quote at the bottom is from Elliot Hulse that we liked since we're so busy and lift with two little ones running around that we hit it hard for 40 minutes and then leave it alone until the next designated lifting day. We don't want it to be something that consumes us and our time and becomes unsustainable for a few months and then falling off the wagon cause we lose interest, but we want it to be a long term goal. Get in, get it done and rest. "Don't be a sprinter in a marathon" mindset.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You could do pull ups instead of pull downs and possibly chins instead of curls but it looks pretty good. A simple workout with mostly compound lifts and not a bunch of extra stuff. My kind of workout.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Like he said. I would get rid of the lat pull down and do chins and scrap the curls for more chins.  

I would also get rid of the shrugs for power cleans.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I originally had both cleans and chin ups on our list. Keep in mind that we're mid 30's and I haven't lifted in 10 years and my wife hasn't since high school volleyball.

We did the assisted chins for a week and both decided we were getting nothing from them since we were so weak, even slow descent negatives were almost impossible. It was like hang on tight, fall full speed. So I switched it up to bicep work and pull downs in an effort to fast track legit chin ups. That make sense?

As far as cleans go, we were worried about injury deviating from slow controlled movements for the first few months. We started mid May and things are starting to get firm and joints are beginning to feel supported so cleans may make a come back in the semi-near future.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I originally had both cleans and chin ups on our list. Keep in mind that we're mid 30's and I haven't lifted in 10 years and my wife hasn't since high school volleyball.

We did the assisted chins for a week and both decided we were getting nothing from them since we were so weak, even slow descent negatives were almost impossible. It was like hang on tight, fall full speed. So I switched it up to bicep work and pull downs in an effort to fast track legit chin ups. That make sense?

As far as cleans go, we were worried about injury deviating from slow controlled movements for the first few months. We started mid May and things are starting to get firm and joints are beginning to feel supported so cleans may make a come back in the semi-near future.
View Quote

When I first started, 34 years old, I couldn't do 1 chin up now I can almost do 10 strict consecutive. It takes a few months to get that first full one. You can use a resistance band or a chair to support your legs. The more you do the faster you will be able to advance.  By doing curls and pull downs you are adding an extra exercise and more time to your workout for not much gain.  

You can do the cleans bar only or with extremely light weight for awhile till you get the form down. Bumpers really help with this because they give you the feel of doing 45# plates.

Keep it up. Keep a log. In a year you won't believe you were ever that weak.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Lats and biceps is the two primary muscle groups for chin ups right? That was my logic behind adding those so that we could move on to chins eventually. I'll look into the bands. I saw those used on Youtube and thought it looked ingenious.

We have definitely made a lot of progress. When i was young and dumb, I benched about 315 and frequently skipped leg day. Like for 4 or 5 years.

My upper body is toning up and getting bigger quick but the legs is all new muscle so my squat is ridiculously low but coming up fast. I think I read something the other day about the nervous system realizing you're using those muscles cause when I started it seemed like a lot of effort but it wasn't transferring to the lift. It was an odd feeling. But, in the last 3 weeks my squat max has gone up like 30lbs and my legs have begun to grow considerably.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#6]
It is the same muscles but like you said with squats it is a nervous system thing about learning how to use them together.

When I was doing SS I started doing front squats every other workout. They made my back squat shoot up. This was after I stalled a little.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#7]
my dad just started comming over to my "dungeon"  old man is in mid 50's.  I hold his ankles to assist him in his chins.  6 weeks ago I felt like i was curling a full grown man up to the chin up bar.  Now he can do 3 sets of 3 with no assistance.  I still jump in and help him rep out a set of 10 though.  It's still progress.  Shit I was the same way a year ago.now I can do 5x10.  pullups are your friend
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
my dad just started comming over to my "dungeon"  old man is in mid 50's.  I hold his ankles to assist him in his chins.  6 weeks ago I felt like i was curling a full grown man up to the chin up bar.  Now he can do 3 sets of 3 with no assistance.  I still jump in and help him rep out a set of 10 though.  It's still progress.  Shit I was the same way a year ago.now I can do 5x10.  pullups are your friend
View Quote

Yep.

Shameless self promotion video.

That's a 2x4.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I would get rid of shrugs and replace em with something else.  At least for now.  Your traps and grip will get plenty strong from deadlifts.  At least, that has been my experience.

I wouldn't discount curls like others have suggested.  Again, in my personal experience, keeping your biceps strong is important for elbow health and will assist in preventing any injury to them that could occur from other lifts (like tearing a bi during heavy deads).
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Just DL instead of shrugs.  I have found in my personal exp. that just the tension put on your traps during a dead lift is enough to get them traps to get stronger and bigger.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Based on your goals...or what I think your goals are...I would do some kind of barbell complex/tabata interval instead of shrugs.

That said, you're at 90% and finding the extra 10% will be about trial and error.  You're light years ahead of the normal "Should I do the machine that works the inner thigh or outer thigh first" crowd.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Push. Pull. Press. Curl.

Do some non-stop combo sets: Pushups; Pullups; Dumbell Press; Straight Bar Curls.

Repeat x 10.

Then hop on a bike and pedal for 100 miles.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That said, you're at 90% and finding the extra 10% will be about trial and error.  You're light years ahead of the normal "Should I do the machine that works the inner thigh or outer thigh first" crowd.
View Quote

I read. A lot. And I'm lazy. I'd hate to lift for 6 months and realize I was wasting my time.

I've looked into both box jumps, jump rope and sprinting. We just haven't made the move on any of it yet for something along the lines of tabata.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I read. A lot. And I'm lazy. I'd hate to lift for 6 months and realize I was wasting my time.

I've looked into both box jumps, jump rope and sprinting. We just haven't made the move on any of it yet for something along the lines of tabata.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

jump rope
works not only conditioning but posture and coordination.

jump rope training guide

plus ti's cheap
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Three days per week, your should do either:

Mon, Wed, Fri or Tues, Thurs, Sat etc...

With a only three day per week and a days rest in between you have to hit every body part each work out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

And confuse them.

Your muscles will be all like, "Whoa bro, I wasn't expecting that, I'm totes confused", and so they will be forced to grow.

Gospel
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not sure that's very functional. How does it make you feel?

ETA: ok I'll be srs

I agree, ditch the shrugs.

Keep the lat pull downs and curls if you like but continue to work on chins for bicep/lat work.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:14:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It is the same muscles but like you said with squats it is a nervous system thing about learning how to use them together.

When I was doing SS I started doing front squats every other workout. They made my back squat shoot up. This was after I stalled a little.
View Quote

I was in between squat sets last night jumped up and grabbed the crossbar on my cage and did 3 chin ups.

I was like holy shit.

As a side note, my squat has gone up 40lbs in the last 4 weeks.

EDIT: Underhand or overhand? I do underhand. I realize they work different muscles, but for integration with this specific workout, I'm thinking underhand?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was in between squat sets last night jumped up and grabbed the crossbar on my cage and did 3 chin ups.

I was like holy shit.

EDIT: Underhand or overhand? I do underhand. I realize they work different muscles, but for integration with this specific workout, I'm thinking underhand?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was like holy shit.

Alternate every other workout.  

If you can do 3. Do 10 sets of 3. Soon you will be doing sets of 5.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#23]
In conventional terms, pull-ups are overhand and chin-ups are underhand. Chins work slightly more muscles but pull-ups hit the last harder. Personally, I've always been very weak in pulls/chins so I bought one of the doorway pull-up bars and do variations throughout the day. Of course I'm horribly INconsistent, but it has made a huge difference. I prefer chins because they make my biceps look all swole.

ETA: If I were horribly consistent I could probably do more than 7 right now. Huge improvement from 0.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Read this today on Robb Wolfs site. Relevant and interesting. Might try this instead of the lat pull downs this week with the wife and see how it goes.

http://moveskill.com/2014/07/elastic-bands-are-doing-more-harm-to-your-pull-up-progress-than-good/

Lets dive into the problem for a deeper look. You must develop the strength to really set your shoulder blades before beginning the pull, but this is when the fully stretched band is helping so much that you don’t really have to set your shoulders, and so you never develop this crucial skill. At the other end – the top of a good pull-up, fully lifting your body to the bar requires a strong shoulder retraction. You must be able to pull your elbows down and slightly behind you, while at the same time squeezing your shoulder blades together. The band is usually fully relaxed at this position and you can’t get all the way to the bar, so no strength development there.

View Quote

What they recommend instead. Piece of cake with the adjustable squat cage we have.

http://moveskill.com/movement/instructional-assisted-chin-up/

The standard of chest-to-bar is proof that you are fully retracting your scapula and keeping your shoulders in a strong, stable position. This added help from your toes isn’t cheating. It helps you get the strength development in your shoulders that you need.

The beauty of the assisted variations is you can pull yourself to the top properly and then lift your feet to perform a controlled negative. This eccentric contraction allows you to load all the muscles necessary to perform the movement while also moving through the full range of motion while your scapula are in the correct position.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Read this today on Robb Wolfs site. Relevant and interesting. Might try this instead of the lat pull downs this week with the wife and see how it goes.

http://moveskill.com/2014/07/elastic-bands-are-doing-more-harm-to-your-pull-up-progress-than-good/

What they recommend instead. Piece of cake with the adjustable squat cage we have.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lets dive into the problem for a deeper look. You must develop the strength to really set your shoulder blades before beginning the pull, but this is when the fully stretched band is helping so much that you don’t really have to set your shoulders, and so you never develop this crucial skill. At the other end – the top of a good pull-up, fully lifting your body to the bar requires a strong shoulder retraction. You must be able to pull your elbows down and slightly behind you, while at the same time squeezing your shoulder blades together. The band is usually fully relaxed at this position and you can’t get all the way to the bar, so no strength development there.

The standard of chest-to-bar is proof that you are fully retracting your scapula and keeping your shoulders in a strong, stable position. This added help from your toes isn’t cheating. It helps you get the strength development in your shoulders that you need.

The beauty of the assisted variations is you can pull yourself to the top properly and then lift your feet to perform a controlled negative. This eccentric contraction allows you to load all the muscles necessary to perform the movement while also moving through the full range of motion while your scapula are in the correct position.

Looks like you would use your legs too much doing them that way. I like the ones better where you put your legs extended on something so it just takes weight off instead of using your legs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#26]

These are the ones I am talking about.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My wife and I lift 3 days/week based off of the Starting Strength premise. Shooting for a push and a pull movement on each area of the body using all big multijoint movements except of course for biceps and shrugs which is when my wife heads into the house to get dinner ready while I finish up the vanity portion of the workout.

My goal is to keep it short, sweet and thorough. We're not looking to compete, just get more agile and generally healthier.

The quote at the bottom is from Elliot Hulse that we liked since we're so busy and lift with two little ones running around that we hit it hard for 40 minutes and then leave it alone until the next designated lifting day. We don't want it to be something that consumes us and our time and becomes unsustainable for a few months and then falling off the wagon cause we lose interest, but we want it to be a long term goal. Get in, get it done and rest. "Don't be a sprinter in a marathon" mindset.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w161/PantherArms/IMAG0261_zpsctwocccm.jpg
View Quote

Okay, being new to weight training, what I'm reading is that you do all of A in one session and then all of B in one session?

Do you do all three sets of squats and then move on to the bench, for example or do you do one set of each down the list and then start at the top for set two and then three?

Can you walk me through a session?

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep, each lift in order complete and on to the next. So we lift M-W-F, on week 1, it would go A-B-A, and the next week it would go B-A-B and then A-B-A and so on. We do 6 sets of squats total and always do them first. Supposedly in Starting Strength you're supposed to do 3 warm up sets before hitting the real sets for a total of 6 sets. I just do 2 warmup sets, a 3rd "heavy warmup" and then the 3 regular sets of 5.

So that would be

~50% 1RM (1 rep Max)
~60%
~70%
~80%
~80%
~90-95% and if I can can only do 2 of the 5, I'm good with it.

Like I said above, it's kinda blended Rippetoe and Wendler 5/3/1 on Squats. So Rippetoe would say do 3 sets of 5 and then increase weights every month. Wendler says 3 sets, 5/3 and 1. So I do basically 4 sets, the 3X5 of Rip and then a 1 like Wendler. If that makes sense. In short, two warmups, the 3X5 and then 1-2 reps of my supposed max. If I get 2-3 reps one week, then the next week I go up 10lbs.(only on squats)
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yep, each lift in order complete and on to the next. So we lift M-W-F, on week 1, it would go A-B-A, and the next week it would go B-A-B and then A-B-A and so on. We do 6 sets of squats total and always do them first. Supposedly in Starting Strength you're supposed to do 3 warm up sets before hitting the real sets for a total of 6 sets. I just do 2 warmup sets, a 3rd "heavy warmup" and then the 3 regular sets of 5.

So that would be

~50% 1RM (1 rep Max)

~60%

~70%

~80%

~80%

Like I said above, it's kinda blended Rippetoe and Wendler 5/3/1 on Squats. So Rippetoe would say do 3 sets of 5 and then increase weights every month. Wendler says 3 sets, 5/3 and 1. So I do basically 4 sets, the 3X5 of Rip and then a 1 like Wendler. If that makes sense. In short, two warmups, the 3X5 and then 1-2 reps of my supposed max. If I get 2-3 reps one week, then the next week I go up 10lbs.(only on squats)
View Quote

So you do all three sets of squats before you move on the the bench, all three bench and then move on to the dead lift, and so on?

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Yup. I have read from many trusted sources that squats are the single most important exercise you can do for OVERALL muscle growth. The way they effect the body and stimulate growth even on the muscles they don't specifically work. So I put them first and focus the hardest on them, then move on to the next and so on. The order I put the lifts in was based off of those same sources of information.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Also, if you're new, I highly recommend daily static stretching. When I started squatting my hip flexors and hamstrings were EXTREMELY tight and it forced some form issues with squats that ended up making my knees sore for a few weeks.(patellar tendonitus)

I do hip, legs, back, bicep and trap stretches 5-7 days a week. I found that to be EXTREMELY helpful and also helps with the fact that I am shooting for functional strength meaning I'm not looking to compete, but to be generally more healthy and agile.

I watched Rippetoe vids for squat form and Elliot Hulse (StrengthCamp) for just about everything else. I did nightly Youtube research the first month or so while getting my form correct. See or feel uncomfortable and just out of whack on a lift, back to Youtube to find the correction.

Sent the vids to my wife so she could correct me the way I correct her. It's part of being a partner.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm setting up to lift every other day with walking and stretching on the in between days.

Right now I'm just running through the exercises I've picked out to see where my max weights and rep weights are.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm setting up to lift every other day with walking and stretching on the in between days.

Right now I'm just running through the exercises I've picked out to see where my max weights and rep weights are.
View Quote

Go ahead and post up a thread.  We'll be more than willing to help.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So that would be

~50% 1RM (1 rep Max)
~60%
~70%
~80%
~80%

View Quote

Don't understand all that but you might like a program called Greyskull LP
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Also, if you're new, I highly recommend daily static stretching. When I started squatting my hip flexors and hamstrings were EXTREMELY tight and it forced some form issues with squats that ended up making my knees sore for a few weeks.(patellar tendonitus)

I do hip, legs, back, bicep and trap stretches 5-7 days a week. I found that to be EXTREMELY helpful and also helps with the fact that I am shooting for functional strength meaning I'm not looking to compete, but to be generally more healthy and agile.

I watched Rippetoe vids for squat form and Elliot Hulse (StrengthCamp) for just about everything else. I did nightly Youtube research the first month or so while getting my form correct. See or feel uncomfortable and just out of whack on a lift, back to Youtube to find the correction.

Sent the vids to my wife so she could correct me the way I correct her. It's part of being a partner.
View Quote

That's exactly what I'm doing now as far as researching form.

I'm going to have to do some extra leg stretching work, my upper legs are extremely tight and will affect my squats I think.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to do some extra leg stretching work, my upper legs are extremely tight and will affect my squats I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My hip flexors were making it difficult for me to squat all the way to parallel and my super tight hamstrings gave me the "buttwink."

I really like this guy. If you go to his channel and click the little magnifying glass you can search his channel specifically.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Butt wink.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top