Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2014 5:36:45 AM EDT
I am 72 yrs old started going to Orange Theory Fitness in Oct 2012. I weighed over 200 lbs today I am at 174. The workout there is high intensity good for the heart and burning calories. Some weight work mostly body weight stuff enough to get good tone but not build muscle fast. I want to see if I can build some muscle so I joined a Youfit gym last month. I was going to OTF 4-5 days a week each session is a hour long.  I am now going there 3 days a week and going to Youfit 3 days a week.

I have no photos prior to yesterday but I plan to keep a photo diary from now on. Arms measured by wife last night we only 14" I hope to get to 15" before I die. I have a roll around my waist still can't seem to get rid of it. I know I have to make changes to my eating habits but not sure what to go to.
Knees are a problem so leg work is limited to seated press and calf raises. At my age I have to watch my back so I doubt I'll try any deep squats.

I'll try to do a better pose the next time I have a photo taken.

Open to any suggestions on weight routines for chest, back, arms and shoulders (need a lot of attention).
What do suggest for diet?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Kick ass Gramps!  

Do you have injuries or arthritis in the back or knees?  If you can leg press you should be able to squat if you use proper form. Squats shouldn't revolving around bending the knee. The focus is on sitting back with the hips. Kinda like trying to crap into a bucket.

Starting Strength 3rd Edition is the best How-To I've ever seen for the big barbell lifts.  Rippetoe also has a highly educational, yet totally boring, video showing various ages, sexes and sizes of people as he teaches the lifts. IIRC a tiny grandma is one of his subjects.  Basic Barbell Training video

At your age Hormone Replacement Therapy would help greatly with gaining muscle.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
damn, old man strength indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Good work!

As Hizzie said, barring an injury there's no reason you can't squat. I know many people in their 70s that do, to varying depths depending on mobility and injury.

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#4]
My supervisor at work is about 62 I think, so younger than you but he's extremely beat up from college football and a lifetime of coaching, ranching, and LE work. He still squats and deadlifts, more than I do I may add. If you're squatting with good technique it shouldn't be a problem, a leg press is probably more likely to injure your lower back than a squat. Most people aren't flexible enough to leg press without rounding their spine at the bottom, which places sheer stress on vertebrae.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kick ass Gramps!  

Do you have injuries or arthritis in the back or knees?  If you can leg press you should be able to squat if you use proper form. Squats shouldn't revolving around bending the knee. The focus is on sitting back with the hips. Kinda like trying to crap into a bucket.

Starting Strength 3rd Edition is the best How-To I've ever seen for the big barbell lifts.  Rippetoe also has a highly educational, yet totally boring, video showing various ages, sexes and sizes of people as he teaches the lifts. IIRC a tiny grandma is one of his subjects.  Basic Barbell Training video

View Quote

I have arthritis of both knees had the right one "cleaned out"  doc and therapists told me to stay away from squats. I do legs on a seated leg press machine when I push out I get no tension on the back at all. I was told not to do leg lifts because they are very bad for the knees.
One of the trainers at OTF is a lic physical therapist she told me to stay away from squats and leg lifts.
One of the problems I have is I am very round shouldered trainers keep telling me to put my chest out and stop looking down. The only way I might try squats is if and when I can afford a good trainer. I want someone who knows body dynamics watching me to insure my form is correct.
I have had prostate cancer and high cholesterol so I don't think I could get a doctor to recommend hormone therapy.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Seated leg press is awful for the SI Joint.  Do you have a smart phone or tablet? Video yourself. Watch and self coach. When I finally returned to the squat rack after my hip surgery I hit a whopping 85lbs. Quality > Quantity  

Mark Rippetoe on Squats

Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelly Starrett is excellent for mobility and rehab.

Mobility WOD

Mobility WOD YouTube channel.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am 72 yrs old... I want to see if I can build some muscle...

I have no photos prior to yesterday but I plan to keep a photo diary from now on. Arms measured by wife last night we only 14" I hope to get to 15" before I die. I have a roll around my waist still can't seem to get rid of it.
Knees are a problem so leg work is limited to seated press and calf raises. At my age I have to watch my back so I doubt I'll try any deep squats.
Open to any suggestions on weight routines for chest, back, arms and shoulders (need a lot of attention).
View Quote

Sounds like we may be in the same boat. I'm half a year from 70, and in similar shape. I've been doing regular workouts for the last six months, trying to increase muscle mass.

Here are the exercises I'm currently doing for chest, back, arms and shoulders:

Towel Rows -------------------- 4 sets to failure (currently, about 30, 28, 26, 24 reps)
Bent Over, One Arm Rows --- 3 sets x 30 reps w/14 lbs
Incline Pushups ---------------- 4 sets to failure (currently, about 30, 27, 24, 20 reps)
Self-assisted Dips -------------- 3 sets to failure (currently, about 25, 22, 20 reps)
Lateral Raises ------------------ 5 sets to failure (4 lbs @ ~35 reps, 6 lbs @ ~25 reps, 8 lbs @ ~15 reps, 6 lbs @ ~20 reps, 4 lbs @ ~30 reps)
Hammer Curls ------------------ 3 sets x 30 reps w/8 lbs

For legs, I do self-assisted 1/4 squats. I'd much rather use a leg press machine like that at the rehab facility I was in for two weeks last December, but sadly, such is not available to me now.

Regarding diet, I ingest all the protein I can get at meals (beef, chicken, turkey, fish), and also have a handful or two of walnut halves each day.

My gains have been extremely slow, so I'll be quite interested in learning what progress you make.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Good Job!  I hope I'm as fit as you when I'm your age.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn from the pic I thought you looked maybe 50 something.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sounds like we may be in the same boat. I'm half a year from 70, and in similar shape. I've been doing regular workouts for the last six months, trying to increase muscle mass.

Towel Rows -------------------- 4 sets to failure (currently, about 30, 28, 26, 24 reps)
Incline Pushups ---------------- 4 sets to failure (currently, about 30, 27, 24, 20 reps)
Self-assisted Dips -------------- 3 sets to failure (currently, about 25, 22, 20 reps)
Lateral Raises ------------------ 5 sets to failure (4 lbs @ ~35 reps, 6 lbs @ ~25 reps, 8 lbs @ ~15 reps, 6 lbs @ ~20 reps, 4 lbs @ ~30 reps)

For legs, I do self-assisted 1/4 squats. I'd much rather use a leg press machine like that at the rehab facility I was in for two weeks last December, but sadly, such is not available to me now.

Regarding diet, I ingest all the protein I can get at meals (beef, chicken, turkey, fish), and also have a handful or two of walnut halves each day.

My gains have been extremely slow, so I'll be quite interested in learning what progress you make.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no photos prior to yesterday but I plan to keep a photo diary from now on. Arms measured by wife last night we only 14" I hope to get to 15" before I die. I have a roll around my waist still can't seem to get rid of it.

I use heavy weights I do as may reps as I can if I can do more than 10 reps on any exersize I up the weight on the next set.
When doing chest I do 10 pushups after each set till I can't do them any more.  I place my hands about 6" apart even with my shoulders.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope I look that good at 70.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use heavy weights I do as may reps as I can if I can do more than 10 reps on any exersize I up the weight on the next set.
View Quote

I would be going that route, too, but my current circumstances severely limit me the amount of weight I can use.

No matter, though. It may make for an interesting experiment, to see if there's a difference in gaining muscle mass for two guys our age, with light weight, high reps vs heavy weight, low reps.

Which will get 15" arms first?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hope I look that good at 70.
View Quote

+1

Awesome job
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Do you wear anything on your knees when you're doing leg exercises?  If not, I'd suggest getting some neoprene knee sleeves during leg presses/squats which will keep them immensely warm and less prone to injury.  Rehbands are probably the most well known and are of good quality.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you wear anything on your knees when you're doing leg exercises?  If not, I'd suggest getting some neoprene knee sleeves during leg presses/squats which will keep them immensely warm and less prone to injury.  Rehbands are probably the most well known and are of good quality.
View Quote

I'll second that recommendation. I stopped squatting for while due to knee pain. The difference when keeping my knees warm with Rehbands is night and day.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

My brother loves his Vulkan knee sleeves. I am very happy with my SBD sleeves. They do help.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I do wear knee sleeves. On an early visit to my doctor I wore them his comment was you know they don't help your problem they only keep your knees warm".
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn! What an inspiration. At 44 I like to think I have another 40 years of strong healthy life ahead of me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have arthritis of both knees had the right one "cleaned out"  doc and therapists told me to stay away from squats. I do legs on a seated leg press machine when I push out I get no tension on the back at all. I was told not to do leg lifts because they are very bad for the knees.
One of the trainers at OTF is a lic physical therapist she told me to stay away from squats and leg lifts.
One of the problems I have is I am very round shouldered trainers keep telling me to put my chest out and stop looking down. The only way I might try squats is if and when I can afford a good trainer. I want someone who knows body dynamics watching me to insure my form is correct.
I have had prostate cancer and high cholesterol so I don't think I could get a doctor to recommend hormone therapy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kick ass Gramps!  

now im no doctor, but I would discount your trainers and doctors advice on lifting, unless it causes you physical  pain in your knees.

Could I venture to say  your doctor or trainer were relatively fat/out of shape? Just a guess since thats been my experience with people telling me squatting and lifting are bad for you.

also you may find that putting your knees through a full range of motion may help your arthritis. Again, Im 28 and not a doctor so I have no idea what arthritis feels like.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When doing chest I do 10 pushups after each set till I can't do them any more.  I place my hands about 6" apart even with my shoulders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes stanc, you're doing way too many reps to gain muscle.

Go heavier and pyramid your weights / reps ..... 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, 8 reps (heavier on the lower reps).  
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Go heavier and pyramid your weights / reps ..... 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, 5 reps, 8 reps (heavier on the lower reps).
View Quote

Thanks, but as I noted in my second post, going heavier is not an option at present. For why, see: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_113/1641604_Muscle_Development_and_MS.html&page=1#i48113496
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks, but as I noted in my second post, going heavier is not an option at present. For why, see: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_113/1641604_Muscle_Development_and_MS.html&page=1#i48113496
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I didn't see that post.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I started yesterday with my new routine. I use a lighter weight for up to 20 reps to warm up then move to a heavy weight If I can do more than 5 reps with that weight I go higher. I am doing 3 sets on each exercise. Yesterday was back and biceps. Laths and biceps are sore. Today was chest and triceps we'll see what tomorrow brings. Sat. I did legs and shoulder. My next 3 gym visits will be at Orange Theory for high intensity work outs. My plan is do 3 days lifting take a day off then 3 days high intensity next day off.
I'll do this for a month or so then maybe try lifting one day then next day high intensity do it for 6 days then a day or 2 off. I'll listen to what my body is telling me and decide.
I may try squats as I get stronger. I might hire a trainer for my first 2 attempts.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top