Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2014 4:32:31 AM EDT
So I've been following this off and on for a few months:

I know CrossFit(tm) isn't super popular here, for many diverse reasons, but what does Arf SD&F think? I like the format, and I feel like it could be unique among team sports in that there are both males and females competing together.

OTOH, the last-minute name change and naming the sport "Grid"...kind of has fizzle written all over it.

Thoughts?

The inaugural pre-season match is streaming live now:

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like good viewing to me.  

How is it "not-CrossFit" (or is that a way to keep those that are anti-everything CrossFit interested)?  The event sure looked to have a large overlap in movements to the regional CrossFit event we watched a few weekends ago - which was done as teams of 2 male/2 female competitors.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How is it "not-CrossFit" (or is that a way to keep those that are anti-everything CrossFit interested)?  The event sure looked to have a large overlap in movements to the regional CrossFit event we watched a few weekends ago - which was done as teams of 2 male/2 female competitors.
View Quote
It isn't CrossFit(tm) because it isn't Authorized or Sanctioned by CrossFit, Inc, which holds the rights to the word CrossFit(tm) as their brand of Functional Fitness and May Castro Have Mercy On Your Soul.

But yeah, this whole thing was started by an ex-CFHQ employee, so you're gonna see a ton of similarity in movements and formats and athletes, but it isn't CrossFit(tm).

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The Anti-CF sentiment from most of us here revolves around the piss poor nonexistent programming and lack of a strength component with CF. The proliferation of shitty coaches and make money not athlete boxes doesn't help either. I've said it before. If I lived closer to Skyline I'd be an Outlaw.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Crossfit isn't as unpopular here as you think, though it gets poked fun at. ;)

Npfl or whatever as I understand was created as an alternative to CF and the things people saw as wrong with CF competitions (which are often legitimate criticisms)

Don't know much about it. Doubt there's room for 2 large size CF like competition series but who knows?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Watching people exercise just isn't very interesting to me. Also the whole kipping any movement you can to make it easier is meh.

I prefer this

Strongman's also fun to watch.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks kind of boring to watch.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Npfl or whatever as I understand was created as an alternative to CF and the things people saw as wrong with CF competitions (which are often legitimate criticisms)

Don't know much about it. Doubt there's room for 2 large size CF like competition series but who knows?
View Quote

Near as I can tell, the only criticism I have for either of these activities...hell, sports...is that they spend time televising the men at all.

I'd watch Crossfit and Grid women competitions all day long.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
The movements were diverse enough that I was interested enough not to close it during the "races". But then, the movements interest me, while they may not interest other people. But hell, if people watch fucking GOLF, this oughta be a piece of cake.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Near as I can tell, the only criticism I have for either of these activities...hell, sports...is that they spend time televising the men at all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit. The "Women of Crossfit" in the BOTD Forum is my all time favorite. Of Arfcom. Not BOTD. Fucking leghumpers.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

i want it to take off but they are gonna have a tough time getting people outside of CF to watch.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No shit. The "Women of Crossfit" in the BOTD Forum is my all time favorite. Of Arfcom. Not BOTD. Fucking leghumpers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knew I wasn't the only one that looked forward to new posts there.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The movements were diverse enough that I was interested enough not to close it during the "races". But then, the movements interest me, while they may not interest other people. But hell, if people watch fucking GOLF, this oughta be a piece of cake.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because you can be out of shape and play golf. Weight training takes effort.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

i want it to take off but they are gonna have a tough time getting people outside of CF to watch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been into fitness pretty much my entire life - weights, competitive cycling, etc. and I've been watching the CrossFit games the past few years.  I never really got the kip/butterfly pullups stuff, but as I've started doing a bit of cross locally, realized that most of the time, workouts involve strict movements during the strength portion of a session, and kip type stuff might come into play during the conditioning portion of our workouts (at least this is the case at the gym I go to).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top