Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Can't sit on a burning fence.

Ran 5 miles in 50 minutes tonight in honor of your goal.

That's the farthest I've ran since taking up this ridiculous hobby.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
dleton.Hmm, thats kind of a hike for you.Whats your training schedule look like since you started running again (mileage increases, total volume per week, etc.)?  What shoes are you running in?Well my race is Saturday so Sunday two miles, Monday 4 (avg. 11.67 mph) tonight just went for a casual walk with hubby and dogs.  Tomorrow morning I plan 5-6 miles and then take it easy.   I bought another pair of ascicsWhat's the model of Asics?  Training seems like its your biggest issue.  You mileage increases are probably are what are causing your discomfort.  Youre not giving your body enough time to adapt to the amount of stress youre throwing at it.  How long have you been training for this half?About six weeks though I've ran 20 miles a week for years.  I have ran 4-5 times a week for over 30 years.   Bad news though, took a easy walk last night with my hubby, my hip started aching.  Hurt all night, went for 6 miles this morning, hip and knees are killing me today.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Whats changed in the 6 weeks since you started training for this half?  Have you always had hip and knee issues?  Were you trying to make mileage increases when you first started training 6 weeks ago?
View Quote
I've never had knee issues but my right hip has bothered me since having my daughter 23 years ago.  It's gotten worse over the years but it has never bothered me while running.  
I've always ran about an hour a day and six weeks ago I've tried to increase that time to accommodate the 13.1 miles.  
I got new shoes to combat the knee problems, helped tremendously.  Tuesday night my hip kept me awake throbbing.  I stretched it out well Wednesday morning, ran just under 6 miles (my GPS wasn't working do to a fitbit flex band my daughter bought me) started hurting around mile # 4, made it home, nearly crippled with pain yesterday in hip and both knees.  I've stretched it several times and have done yoga this morning, it feels much better but I'm pretty nervous about putting it to work.
Flinch!  Thank you

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
dleton.Hmm, thats kind of a hike for you.Whats your training schedule look like since you started running again (mileage increases, total volume per week, etc.)?  What shoes are you running in?Well my race is Saturday so Sunday two miles, Monday 4 (avg. 11.67 mph) tonight just went for a casual walk with hubby and dogs.  Tomorrow morning I plan 5-6 miles and then take it easy.   I bought another pair of ascicsWhat's the model of Asics?  Training seems like its your biggest issue.  You mileage increases are probably are what are causing your discomfort.  Youre not giving your body enough time to adapt to the amount of stress youre throwing at it.  How long have you been training for this half?About six weeks though I've ran 20 miles a week for years.  I have ran 4-5 times a week for over 30 years.   Bad news though, took a easy walk last night with my hubby, my hip started aching.  Hurt all night, went for 6 miles this morning, hip and knees are killing me today.
I've never had knee issues but my right hip has bothered me since having my daughter 23 years ago.  It's gotten worse over the years but it has never bothered me while running.  

I've always ran about an hour a day and six weeks ago I've tried to increase that time to accommodate the 13.1 miles.  

I got new shoes to combat the knee problems, helped tremendously.  Tuesday night my hip kept me awake throbbing.  I stretched it out well Wednesday morning, ran just under 6 miles (my GPS wasn't working do to a fitbit flex band my daughter bought me) started hurting around mile # 4, made it home, nearly crippled with pain yesterday in hip and both knees.  I've stretched it several times and have done yoga this morning, it feels much better but I'm pretty nervous about putting it to work.

Flinch!  Thank you

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Whats changed in the 6 weeks since you started training for this half?  Have you always had hip and knee issues?  Were you trying to make mileage increases when you first started training 6 weeks ago?

Flinch!  Thank you

Can you take pic of your shoes?  A detailed list of your mileage and times and whether or not that run bothered you would be of great help figuring this issue out.  Hip may pre-existing from your daughters birth.  Pelvic tilt is very common after childbirth.  You may need to get that readjusted.

WIthout the training schedule, and not being able to run you through gait/form analysis, see your shoes, Im guessing you overtrained and did it bad enough the injury isnt improving because of the continued work load.  Rest is probably the best thing for you, then getting back into your mileage increases much more slowly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:46:13 AM EDT
[#4]
While I want to push you (in a mildly antagonistic way) to do this, it sounds to me like you may be injured. It might be a better idea to slow down and find a latter race.

My fiancé "pushed through the pain" while training for her first half and ended up with stress fractures. Not saying that's your problem, just saying things can get worse if you don't respect what your body is telling you.

When you use the word "crippled", I think you need to reconsider.

No big deal. Heal up. Get adjusted. Reset. Try again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

While I want to push you (in a mildly antagonistic way) to do this, it sounds to me like you may be injured. It might be a better idea to slow down and find a latter race.

My fiancé "pushed through the pain" while training for her first half and ended up with stress fractures. Not saying that's your problem, just saying things can get worse if you don't respect what your body is telling you.

View Quote
Yes I am convinced I have an injury.  I took a walk (2 miles per hour at best) last night with my hubby and I feel like my knees are packed in jello and my hip is 2-3" out of my socket.  I am going to make an appointment with my doc and try to run a half marathon in October.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes I am convinced I have an injury.  I took a walk (2 miles per hour at best) last night with my hubby and I feel like my knees are packed in jello and my hip is 2-3" out of my socket.  I am going to make an appointment with my doc and try to run a half marathon in October.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you need to extend your goal even further.  Training to run 13.1 miles, even if youve run 4-6 miles a few times a week consistently isnt something you do in a few months, especially if you have a pre existing injury now.  You really should go see a PT over your fam prac, as theyll have a better idea of where the injury stems from.  Gait/form analysis would also help, and a training program that allows for adaptations without overdoing it would be a plus as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I will 2nd the idea of going to a PT over a regular doctor.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have to see my doc before my insurance will pay for PT but regardless I have an appointment Monday.

On the website showing how to train for a half marathon it's from the couch to the half marathon in 6 weeks so I would suspect I should be able to run in October.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have to see my doc before my insurance will pay for PT but regardless I have an appointment Monday.  

On the website showing how to train for a half marathon it's from the couch to the half marathon in 6 weeks so I would suspect I should be able to run in October.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldnt suggest to anyone (even those with the base of training you have) to train for a half in 6 weeks.  No wonder youre having issues...
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Update in OP!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top