Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/6/2014 7:08:25 AM EDT
Growing up there is a rodeo about 20 miles from me that has an annual "Kick off half marathon" call me crazy but I always wanted to run that half marathon but for some reason or another I've never had the chance.  I should have when I was a kid but peer pressure always deterred me (Are you nuts?  Why on earth would you want to run 13 miles?  Let's go drink beer .)
Anyway the drive to do so has really hit me these past few years.  The half marathon that I always wanted to run in is during Memorial Day Week End and entirely uphill.    I am determined to run one before I turn 50 (which may or not be this coming August) so I signed up for one August 2.  I'm pretty excited.
Now don't go scanning the papers for any record breakers for my age group I'm pathetically slow.  I used to be able to run 10 minute miles all the live long day, but now I'm lucky to run 13 minute miles running my butt off!  I think the worse thing about aging is losing muscle!  
I've ran about an hour a day for most of my life.  Some how breaking that hour barrier is my challenge.  It's not that my body can't do more than an hour, it's my mind--I get bored and my ADD runs havoc.  
To train I've been running 6 miles 3 times a day and I've ran 8 and 9 miles twice a week with two rest days.  Tomorrow my plan is to run 10 miles and once I get up to 12 I'll start increasing speed.  I use a HIIT meter to push me.  I'd like to finish as close to 3 hours as possible.  
I'd love to have some cheerleaders.  My kids (well at least my older two) will come to cheer me on and possibly run the last mile with me.  My youngest is 15 and knows everything so more than likely he will be at home sleeping.

7/27/14 UPDATE

So I've been having knee problems.  Nothing serious (I hope!) but pain none the less so I've backed off on running, gave my knees 4 days rest, walked 4 miles, ran two--pain--ice, rest two days.......new shoes came in, light run for 4 miles, small pain both knees (not as bad, big improvement) fatigued by shin splits while running, rest one day, ran last night got my laces tied better, still a little shin splints but not as bad, increased my speed but still ran only 4 miles.  Pain both knees (though again not as bad,) I feel as if I have a deep piercing heat on the top of my knee caps.
I'm pretty discouraged right now, on top of the pain (which isn't bad enough to keep me from running) I got an email from the officals putting on my run.  The race begins at 8 and the award ceremony starts at 10.  I'm hoping to complete the race in 156 minutes but it's going to be pushing it for me.  Long story short, they're going to be packed up and left before I ever cross the line.  Now by no means do I expect to win or anything but seriously?  Drive 2 hours, pay $30 and not be part of it?    I'm thinking of just staying home and running the 13.1 miles here.

UPDATE 8/5/14

I saw my doctor today, got very good news, no arthritis or skeletal issues, seems all muscular.  I start PT on Thursday.  I've been doing Yoga and Swimming but afterwards my hip throbs for hours so I'm really looking forward to finding out what the PT can do for me.  Doctor was very optimistic that I will be back running soon.  I've been off for a good week now and I miss it!  Swimming is B O R I N G!  Nothing like a 23 minute mile

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck!

I'm not an expert runner, but maybe consider throwing a speed day in your training?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good luck!

I'm not an expert runner, but maybe consider throwing a speed day in your training?
View Quote
I do plan to work on speed on my 'off' days (days I run only for about an hour.)

How would you suggest I improve speed?  To be honest with you I don't think I have the muscle anymore to go much faster.  I hate to admit it but it is what it is.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations on taking the plunge and signing up.  Once you actually have paid the entry fee it's a little more motivation to actually go DO it.  I've done several halfs (or should that be halves?) over the years, and you will find if you can find someone to run with it gets you through that 1:45-2:30 that it will take you do to it in.  Check out some of your local running goods stores, they probably have a list of local runners, if not a running club, and you can get partnered up with someone about your speed.

If the run lets you wear headphones, start now on choosing your playlist you want to listen to during the run, and you will also find that when everyone is there around you, it's a lot easier to keep going because you tell yourself you don't want to quit in front of anyone else.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do plan to work on speed on my 'off' days (days I run only for about an hour.)

How would you suggest I improve speed?  To be honest with you I don't think I have the muscle anymore to go much faster.  I hate to admit it but it is what it is.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck!

I'm not the best one to ask, but things like short hill sprints, 100/200/400m sprints and interval runs are usually pretty good.

Hopefully some of our resident runners will come by to recommend something for you.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
thank you for the encouragement everybody I appreciate it! I have my playlist already I listen to Christian music and right now its 140 beats per minute I'm looking for some Christian music that has a little faster tempo. I'm also running intervals I plan to sprint three minutes on one minute of this week and extend that throughout the next couple weeks so that I'm sprinting at least 5 minutes on one minute of for the race.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Geez good luck!  I did 4 miles the other day I was happy with that. Lol but I normally only run 1.5-2 miles 2-3 times a week

How many miles do you normally run to train for this?

Edit never mind i just read your whole OP
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Good for you!  I just ran my first half marathon yesterday and it was great. A year ago the thought of running for almost two hours would have been laughable. Just add distance a little at a time and you'll get there.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#9]
oh wow that's awesome you ran your first yesterday!  Well I made almost 8 miles today before I wussed out.  I need new running shoes and my shoes fell apart and I got dehydrated.  I've been carrying a water bottle with me which is pretty inefficient.  I'm going to have to figure something out there.

Oh well there's always tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Running 13 miles, are you nuts?!  Come to Boise and let's have a beer!  

JK, sounds like you've already beat the mental block and we all know you've got it in you to kick ass!

Don't forget to post finish line pics!  

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
oh wow that's awesome you ran your first yesterday!  Well I made almost 8 miles today before I wussed out.  I need new running shoes and my shoes fell apart and I got dehydrated.  I've been carrying a water bottle with me which is pretty inefficient.  I'm going to have to figure something out there.

Oh well there's always tomorrow.  
View Quote

I ran 3 marathons in Oregon. When I had a long training run I would literally go drop off water in a jug somewhere along the route.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can do 8, you should be able to do the 13.1 no problem.  Just be careful of temperature shifts, and allow yourself to run slower if it's hotter on race day.

Also remember there will be water stations along the route, and if you can get a map of the route, you can plan for hills and other terrain difficulties along the way.

I used to run with nothing at all as far as food or water is concerned, but two halfs ago I broke down and bought one of those neoprene belts with the water bottle pockets and elastic for energy gels or whatever your poison of choice is...
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck!

fartleks, AKA short sprints in the middle of your distance. IE run a mile, but every other telephone pole go from run pace to 95% of "running from a snow leopard in heat" pace(example of pace, some people are Into that sort of thing so run the other way...)

And a half marathon is sorta like crack cocaine, you start doing the cheesy easy 5k, then you are doing 20K races for "fun" then soon you are doing the full monty 26.2 and paying big bucks to fly places and do them. THEN you are doing a 50 mile self supported race across a mountain pass where there is an actual bear(or 100) that WILL eat you.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Great idea!  Thanks!  I hate carrying water.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
fartleks, AKA short sprints in the middle of your distance. IE run a mile, but every other telephone pole go from run pace to 95% of "running from a snow leopard in heat" pace(example of pace, some people are Into that sort of thing so run the other way...)

And a half marathon is sorta like crack cocaine, you start doing the cheesy easy 5k, then you are doing 20K races for "fun" then soon you are doing the full monty 26.2 and paying big bucks to fly places and do them. THEN you are doing a 50 mile self supported race across a mountain pass where there is an actual bear(or 100) that WILL eat you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

Lol!

Thanks everyone!  I appreciate your support.  The hubby and I are planning a trip through Boise.  Gotta visit our kids in Mountain Home.  Do you know of any sports store that could evaluate my stride?  I'm having some mild discomfort and today suffering cramping around my knee.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know Boise area, but definitely get your shoes checked.  I can always tell when it's time to get new shoes because my knees start hurting after I run.

I don't know what brand you are using, but find out if you need low, mid, or high arch support, and if you under-pronate, over-pronate, or are a neutral runner, and buy shoes to match.

I used to run in air filled Nike shoes, but had a back surgery back in 2003 and when I started running after that, I still had pain with the Nike shoes.  I switched to Asics, which are gel-cushioned, and haven't had pain since.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow! That 13.1 sticker on your vehicle window is gonna look cool. But I have to ask, wouldn't a 26.2 one look even better.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Wow! That 13.1 sticker on your vehicle window is gonna look cool. But I have to ask, wouldn't a 26.2 one look even better.

View Quote

I'm only half crazy!  

I have always used Asics exclusively since the early 80's.  Definately time for a new pair of shoes which puts me in a dilemma money wise.  I don't have a $100 to dole out for a new pair of shoes.    

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The flip side to that is saying "WTF am I doing" and never running farther than 3 miles again (and only when the military requires it)
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lol!  

Thanks everyone!  I appreciate your support.  The hubby and I are planning a trip through Boise.  Gotta visit our kids in Mountain Home.  Do you know of any sports store that could evaluate my stride?  I'm having some mild discomfort and today suffering cramping around my knee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good luck!

Lol!  

Boise actually has a running shoe store that rivals anything you'll find in a big city and if you're going to be in the area, you've got to stop in and have a look.  They will definitely get you in the best shoe for your feet.

http://www.idahorunningcompany.com/

Eta. . . Sorry I got so involved in trying to post a link using my Kindle, I forgot to mention that the store I linked to isn't a place that will just sell you pretty shoes, they do evaluate your stride, whether or not you pronate, etc and have you outside running in several pairs of shoes to be sure they're gonna work.   Tell them your goal, where your fitness level is currently and they'll get you set up.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you, that's exactly what I'm looking for.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thank you, that's exactly what I'm looking for.  
View Quote

Check their website, don't forget to take them 2 cans of food for the Idaho Food Bank and they'll give you $10 off your purchase.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

What fun are marathons without a swim/bike warmup?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Best of luck!   Enjoy it!  I'm not a professional runner.

Training is a good chance to figure out your nutrition and hydration.  The night before a long run, try out your pre-race dinner etc stuff like that,work the kinks out.

By what you've posted you've got a pretty solid base, but take a look at hal higdon's race plans.  His plan helped me through my first half.  Pick one that more your speed

Enjoy, have fun!
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#25]
check out http://www.crossfitendurance.com/. may be a way to gain back some of the muscle while still getting faster
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

check out http://www.crossfitendurance.com/. may be a way to gain back some of the muscle while still getting faster
View Quote
I'll check it out for sure but honestly I think my hormones is my problem.  This whole "lovely change of life" isn't that lovely!    I don't think I'm digesting my protein well at all.  I did a detox (15 day vegan juice diet) and I thought I was going to die.  Even though my diet had plenty of plant protein I suffered big time (never had a problem before.)  Along with muscle loss my psoriasis is really bad, my hair's falling out, dry brittle oh yea, having the time of my life here!

I have started supplementing with vitamin B12 (2000mcg daily) and increasing probiotics.  Doctor's just tell me get used to it I'm old.    

The heat is kicking my butt right now.  Have scaled back to one hour runs until this heat wave passes.  My run is in the mountains.  I'm going this week end to my girlfriend's in Redmond where the elevation is higher.  Hopefully my body will do okay in the higher elevation but cooler weather.

I still need new shoes darn it.  <---just woman whining you all are used to that right?  

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Have you tried a more paleo ish diet? Higher protein and fat, less grains/dairy except for grass fed stuff. All you can eat veggies and no sugar?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Have you tried a more paleo ish diet? Higher protein and fat, less grains/dairy except for grass fed stuff. All you can eat veggies and no sugar?
View Quote
I typically am straight paleo.  I tried the fast as I read it would balance out my hormones.  I am straight paleo now.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey congrats at attempting half a race. I preach this to my kids, If you gunna do something go all out, get half way there then say fuck it I'm done!
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds reasonable.

Wanna borrow my bike, QDN?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Sounds reasonable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds reasonable.

One obsession is enough at this time but I'll take a rain check!  

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Lots of good advice in this thread.  Be sure to go to the running shoe store in Boise recommended.  Boise hosts an Ironman 70.3 every year and idaho running co is well respected by the triathlon folks.  I 2nd the thought that if you are running 8 miles now, you could easily do a half marathon.  And I bet  your time will be well under 3 hours.  I am 47 and just ran the Missoula half marathon this a.m.  My time was 1:54 and I don't consider myself a fast runner.

A few thoughts:
Find the type of shoes that allow YOU to run and feel YOUR best.  Pronation, stride, desired shoe drop, etc. is all pretty personal and while you will find plenty of people telling you how to run with good form, one trip to an actual marathon or half marathon will convince you that there are as many running styles as there are people.  I personally prefer a minimalist shoe like a Brooks PureConnect with minimal drop but a running friend of mine likes the most cushy plush running shoe she can find.  I could never wear those things.  It is all very personal and a good store can help you find what you need.  I like to run with a shorter stride where my feet land under me instead of in front of me.  Like the way you have to run when running uphill.  Some people you will see running with huge strides where they are taking 1 step for every 2 or more I take.  Whatever works best for them!

I run 3X a week getting ready for a race.  Mon I have speed day, wednesday uphill day, and saturday my long steady pace run.  That amount and type of running might not be right for everyone but it works well for me.  FWIW, I usually also lift 3 days a week and do yoga or stretch the 7th day.  Many triathletes like to run 4-5 days a week but keep all their runs shorter and just suffer through the longer distance when necessary to complete a race.  It is all about what works for you and the only way to find that out is to try it.

Never let your shoes get totally worn out.  It can cause problems.  I have a very unscientific way to judge when my shoes are worn out.  I look at the sides at the back by the heel.  If there are permanent wrinkles where the dense foam has been crushed it is time for a new pair even if the tread or rest of the shoe is not worn out.  No it is not cheap, but so far it seems to keep me from getting injured.

I do a lot of training with a small Camelbak type pack for water.  It feels like carrying around a midget trying to strangle you sometimes but it is much better for me than to run carrying a bottle in my hand.  On race day, I run with a fuel belt for gels/gu and my race bib# and drink what they provide on the course.  Maybe it is all in my head, but I feel like I am faster without that darn heavy Camelbak on race day.

And lastly... 49-50 isn't old!!!!!  There are LOADS of people out there who run races at that age and well into their 80's.  It is all in your mind.

Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#33]
 Thank you!  I appreciate all your time.  I don't feel old (except maybe first thing in the morning when I rollout of bed! ) but the body is changing for sure.

I'll look into the gel/gu - I thought about trying them for race day, I typically never ever eat/drink anything with any amount of sugar but maybe this once it will be a good idea.  

I tend to have a long stride but I've found shortening it up speeds me up.  

My shoes look brand new.  They've obviously have held up well but we're closing in on 1000 miles together.  I know it's time for new ones.  I pulled the lining out the week before last.  I won't get to Boise before race day so they will have to do the job.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I suggest trying the gel/gu before race day on one of your longer runs.  It can bother some peoples stomach and you don't want that on race day.  It is not really anything you really need either.  Some people eat gummy bears, some use fig newtons, etc.  

Again, good luck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for the advice.  I'm more worried about water than anything.  I got out early this morning and carried 24 ounces with me in my pocket (I was too lazy to drive along my route and drop off water )  I paced myself to drink on every hour rather than when ever I felt thirsty.  Mile 9 sucked   but I powered through it and ran 10 miles in 2 hours 10 minutes 32 seconds.    Nothing to brag about but I'm getting there!

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#36]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:21:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Don't be discouraged. One race was in a dry county on Sunday so no post race beer for me, the other I was so slow the tent was closed when I finished.

Rest up. Get healthy and do the race. Better to be healthy and compete then over train and get injured
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice.  I'm more worried about water than anything.  I got out early this morning and carried 24 ounces with me in my pocket (I was too lazy to drive along my route and drop off water )  I paced myself to drink on every hour rather than when ever I felt thirsty.  Mile 9 sucked   but I powered through it and ran 10 miles in 2 hours 10 minutes 32 seconds.    Nothing to brag about but I'm getting there!

View Quote

My first half was just with the goal to finish, and it was just barely under 2:10.  Then I ran several more where I wanted to break the 2 hour mark and just didn't put enough time and training in, but finally broke it a couple years ago with a PR of 1:52.

If you already did 10 miles you will have NO problem running the actual half marathon, just the added adrenaline and excitement of being out there with all the other runners and people cheering and waving will be enough to add that extra 3.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Just went back and read the update in your original post.

The awards ceremony starts that early because the winners run it in like an hour.  Most of us who come in later get the "finishers' medal" and t-shirt, but they will not be packed up and gone before you are done in any way.  Usually they only give 1-2-3 medals for overall in both sexes, wheelchair, and then sometimes they will actually give medals for age groups, but usually they just post that information.

Hang in there.

I found when I was getting shin splints, if I slowed my per minute mile pace by about 30 seconds, I didn't get them anymore.  But I'm not an expert by any means, and I've heard some people are prone to them, and they get caused by lots of different things.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:36:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Not going to the race shouldn't even be an option in your mind.  You've trained and prepared well.  Have confidence in your training plan, it will do its part.

Shoes, you should do something BEFORE the race.  I will run in whatever circumstances are presented but I would much rather run an actual race in relatively new shoes with <200 miles on them.  I started running a few years ago at 41 on an old pair of asics.  I treated myself to a new pair one day and it was like manna from heaven.  I could run twice as far with none of the discomfort.  I laugh at myself every time I think about that, why didn't I get new shoes sooner?  I now keep at least 3 pair in my daily rotation.  It makes a difference.

Watch a Runner's World YouTube video on pronation/supination and diagnose your own stride by looking at the wear patterns on your shoe soles.  Order several pairs in various sizes from someplace like RunningWarehouse.com who has free return shipping on the pair's you don't like or don't fit.  They will also allow you to exchange your "used" shoes for full credit toward something else if after sometime you decide they aren't working out for you.  No need to forego new shoes because you can't get to Boise.

Refuel - your glycogen will be depleted within an hour, 2 hrs you are significantly hindering your performance.  You need roughly 90 calories/hr. to maintain top performance. Suplementing your hour+ runs with sips of fuel gel after 3 miles and every 15 - 20 minutes thereafter for the duration of the run.  This is how you finish strong.  Try to get a quality fuel gel (I like Hammer Gel) that uses glucose rather than sucrose or fructose but the key is to start experimenting with refuel on your longer runs, now.

If you aren't opposed to caffeine use, USE IT.  Makes a huge difference.
YMMV -
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Your knee pain sounds like Runners Knee. If so its pretty common and shouldn't stop you.Keep icing and take an antiinflamatory like Naproxen.  I take 2 otc Naproxen every 12 hrs. for a few days and ice my knees for 20 minutes on, 20 off for as many cyles as I can get in at a time. Bed time works best for me.

Shin splints - I run through them. Their discomfort just goes away if I keep running.  All my discomforts (knee & shin) seem to subside after 4 miles, if not then its a more serious injury that needs some TLC.

Worn out shoes could be the problem for both your knees and shin issues.

Keep running -T
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#42]
well I'm on the fence still.  I could easily just run it here and have my kids cheer me on and save the time and money.  There are pros and cons to both!

Thank you for the tips.  I shaved off 7 minutes on my 4 miles today.  I'm very happy with that!  Knees feel great too!

*ETA* I bought new shoes, I had to play with how to tie them to get rid of the shin splints.  I have found since playing basketball in the early 80's that shin splints were always from improperly tied shoes.  It takes some finagling but once I get them right so worth it!  These new shoes are really snug along the bridge of my foot, I have a very narrow foot (I wear a woman size 10 AAA) so getting them tied right was essential.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
well I'm on the fence still.  I could easily just run it here and have my kids cheer me on and save the time and money.  There are pros and cons to both!

Thank you for the tips.  I shaved off 7 minutes on my 4 miles today.  I'm very happy with that!  Knees feel great too!

*ETA* I bought new shoes, I had to play with how to tie them to get rid of the shin splints.  I have found since playing basketball in the early 80's that shin splints were always from improperly tied shoes.  It takes some finagling but once I get them right so worth it!  These new shoes are really snug along the bridge of my foot, I have a very narrow foot (I wear a woman size 10 AAA) so getting them tied right was essential.
View Quote

Where in OR are you located?  I have a running specialty store in the valley and would be happy to help with things.  We could do gait/form analysis, talk about training and see if theres anything we can adjust to help you get out there pain free.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#44]
I live in Pendleton.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I live in Pendleton.  
View Quote

Hmm, thats kind of a hike for you.

Whats your training schedule look like since you started running again (mileage increases, total volume per week, etc.)?  What shoes are you running in?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Stop making excuses.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Whats your training schedule look like since you started running again (mileage increases, total volume per week, etc.)?  What shoes are you running in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in Pendleton.  

Well my race is Saturday so Sunday two miles, Monday 4 (avg. 11.67 mph) tonight just went for a casual walk with hubby and dogs.  Tomorrow morning I plan 5-6 miles and then take it easy.

I bought another pair of ascics
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well my race is Saturday so Sunday two miles, Monday 4 (avg. 11.67 mph) tonight just went for a casual walk with hubby and dogs.  Tomorrow morning I plan 5-6 miles and then take it easy.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in Pendleton.  

What's the model of Asics?  

Training seems like its your biggest issue.  You mileage increases are probably are what are causing your discomfort.  Youre not giving your body enough time to adapt to the amount of stress youre throwing at it.  How long have you been training for this half?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Training seems like its your biggest issue.  You mileage increases are probably are what are causing your discomfort.  Youre not giving your body enough time to adapt to the amount of stress youre throwing at it.  How long have you been training for this half?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in Pendleton.  

About six weeks though I've ran 20 miles a week for years.  I have ran 4-5 times a week for over 30 years.

Bad news though, took a easy walk last night with my hubby, my hip started aching.  Hurt all night, went for 6 miles this morning, hip and knees are killing me today.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
About six weeks though I've ran 20 miles a week for years.  I have ran 4-5 times a week for over 30 years.  

Bad news though, took a easy walk last night with my hubby, my hip started aching.  Hurt all night, went for 6 miles this morning, hip and knees are killing me today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in Pendleton.  

Whats changed in the 6 weeks since you started training for this half?  Have you always had hip and knee issues?  Were you trying to make mileage increases when you first started training 6 weeks ago?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top