Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2014 8:30:20 PM EDT
Quoted:
Heavy is relative. if you can only lift the bar work towards the bar and two 2.5# chips. you are only competing with yourself and its a marathon not a sprint. IMO the biggest stud in my gym is the guy with MS who is there every day working his ass off fighting that disease. He isnt moving much weight but he shows up and puts in the work he can. inspite of his limitations.
View Quote

I'd be very interested to learn what progress he's made insofar as increasing muscle mass and strength?

Or, for that matter, what any other individuals with MS have been able to do in regards to those areas.

Any knowledgeable feedback appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have many MS patients...

I recommend they all lift weights;  I want them as highly functioning/strong as possible for as long as possible. It makes it easier/quicker for them to physically bounce back from many relapses.

Additionally- I push my MS patients now towards the oral DMD over injections...
I have also heard in some countries that MS patients are able to get Rx'd anabolics to prevent/counteract atrophy...   Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recommend they all lift weights; I want them as highly functioning/strong as possible for as long as possible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I recommend they all lift weights; I want them as highly functioning/strong as possible for as long as possible.

Which is what I seek for myself. It's just a bit discouraging to do workouts for months, and see almost no improvement. Or is it unrealistic to expect any noticeable improvement in muscle mass and strength?
I push my MS patients now towards the oral DMD over injections...

What is oral DMD? I googled it, but the results were about dentists.
I have also heard in some countries that MS patients are able to get Rx'd anabolics to prevent/counteract atrophy...   Just a thought.

It's a thought that has occurred to me. Haven't discussed it with my neurologist, yet, though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]
So many factors are involved in whether you're gaining muscle after 'months and months'.

Is your program solid?  Are your calories adaquate?  (not, "I eat all the time and never gain weight")  but for a 1 week period track every single thing that passes your lips.  then you'll see what you really do as an intake. Often people get caught up on "I eat so much" because they have one huge meal or one day of eating big... this is not enough.  

CONSISTENT high caloric intake paired with strong weight lifting WILL build mass.   MS is not a muscle disease, it's a nerve disease. Atrophy can occur, but if you can move the muscle, it's unlikely that you'll have much problem with mass IF training and food is on spot.

Sorry, it was late... DMT (Disease modifying treatment)    Oral agents like Aubagio, gilenya, Tecfidera, etc.     They have moderately improved outcomes/reduction in relapses when compared to the injects.   Though nowhere near as powerful as Tysabri... but that's another story.

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 3:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The compound Ostarine is currently being studied to treat muscle wasting.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So many factors are involved in whether you're gaining muscle after 'months and months'.

Is your program solid?  Are your calories adaquate?  (not, "I eat all the time and never gain weight")  but for a 1 week period track every single thing that passes your lips.  then you'll see what you really do as an intake. Often people get caught up on "I eat so much" because they have one huge meal or one day of eating big... this is not enough.  

CONSISTENT high caloric intake paired with strong weight lifting WILL build mass.   MS is not a muscle disease, it's a nerve disease. Atrophy can occur, but if you can move the muscle, it's unlikely that you'll have much problem with mass IF training and food is on spot.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure my caloric intake is more than adequate. Since getting out of the hospital last December, I've been eating four meals per day, and increasing bodyweight 3-4 lbs per month. I ingest as much protein as I can get.

During the first four months, I experienced some size increase in my arms and legs, but for the last couple months, if there's been any muscle growth, it's been too little to be obvious. Unfortunately, the last month or two has seen a noticeable increase in fat around my waist.

Is my program solid? Probably not, by your standards. But, I've done what I can, with what's available to me. I'm stuck in a low-budget nursing home, with no access to a gym. For weights, I have plastic bottles with water in them; maximum weight, 8 lbs. My weekly workout routine is:

MWF

Morning Session
Towel Rows -------------------- 4 sets to failure (currently, about 30, 28, 26, 24 reps)
Bent Over, One Arm Rows --- 3 sets x 30 reps w/14 lbs

Afternoon Session
Incline Pushups ---------------- 4 sets to failure (currently, about 30, 27, 24, 20 reps)
Self-assisted Dips -------------- 3 sets to failure (currently, about 22, 21, 20 reps)

Evening Session
Lateral Raises ------------------- 4 drop sets (6 lbs @ 20 reps followed by 4 lbs @ 20 reps)
Hammer Curls ------------------- 3 sets x 30 reps w/8 lbs

TTS

Morning
Walk (using handrail) up and down steep-incline ramp --- 12 laps. Total distance: ~1/4 mile. Total walk duration: ~30 minutes.

Afternoon
Walk (using walker) up and down steep-incline street ----- 2 laps. Total distance: ~1/4 mile. Total walk duration: ~30 minutes.

Evening
Self-assisted 1/4 squats ----------------------------------------- 4 sets x 15 reps
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure my caloric intake is more than adequate. Since getting out of the hospital last December, I've been eating four meals per day, and increasing bodyweight 3-4 lbs per month. I ingest as much protein as I can get.

During the first four months, I experienced some size increase in my arms and legs, but for the last couple months, if there's been any muscle growth, it's been too little to be obvious. Unfortunately, the last month or two has seen a noticeable increase in fat around my waist.

Is my program solid? Probably not, by your standards. But, I've done what I can, with what's available to me. I'm stuck in a low-budget nursing home, with no access to a gym. For weights, I have plastic bottles with water in them; maximum weight, 8 lbs. My weekly workout routine is:

MWF

Morning Session
Towel Rows -------------------- 4 sets to failure (currently, about 30, 28, 26, 24 reps)

Afternoon Session
Incline Pushups ---------------- 4 sets to failure (currently, about 30, 27, 24, 20 reps)
Self-assisted Dips -------------- 3 sets to failure (currently, about 22, 21, 20 reps)

Evening Session
Lateral Raises ------------------- 4 drop sets (6 lbs @ 20 reps followed by 4 lbs @ 20 reps)

TTS

Morning
Walk (using handrail) up and down steep-incline ramp --- 12 laps. Total distance: ~1/4 mile. Total walk duration: ~30 minutes.

Afternoon
Walk (using walker) up and down steep-incline street ----- 2 laps. Total distance: ~1/4 mile. Total walk duration: ~30 minutes.

Evening
Self-assisted 1/4 squats ----------------------------------------- 4 sets x 15 reps
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MWF

Morning Session

Afternoon Session

Evening Session

TTS

Morning

Afternoon

Evening

I have nothing to add but just want to say that you are an inspiration to others. I just recently had a very good friend of mine get the MS diagnosis after her 2nd child was born.

Do you have the balance to try squats? Lunges? Calf raises? Short bridges (as I call them)? Dirty dogs etc etc? I see you are using hand rails and walkers. Even partial reps are better then no reps.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have nothing to add but just want to say that you are an inspiration to others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have nothing to add but just want to say that you are an inspiration to others.

Please, you're making me blush.

I might feel deserving of such praise if I'd actually achieved my goals. As it is, I feel like I'm at best conducting a holding action, when what I want is to be gaining ground.
I just recently had a very good friend of mine get the MS diagnosis after her 2nd child was born.

Bummer. I especially hate to see that happen to parents of young children. Raising kids is difficult enough even for healthy folks.
Do you have the balance to try squats? Lunges? Calf raises?

My balance is pretty much completely shot, and my overall leg strength I'd estimate at maybe 1% of what it was in younger years. If I bend my knees more than a tiny bit, my legs are unable to hold me up, and I collapse to the floor. That's why I'm doing self-assisted, 1/4 squats, where I hold onto one of the grab bars in the bathroom in order to use my arms to pull me back up after squatting down part way.

At this time, I think lunges are out of the question.

Calf raises pose a problem, too. I could easily hold onto a grab bar for balance, and my left calf is still strong enough that I think I could do a few reps with it using full bodyweight. But, my right calf has zero strength. And that's no exaggeration. Even trying to do calf raises while sitting on a chair with just the weight of my lower leg as resistance, the right calf is so weakened that I'm unable to raise my heel even a fraction of an inch off the floor.
Short bridges (as I call them)? Dirty dogs etc etc?

No idea what those are.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Short Bridge
http://www.google.com/search?q=short+bridge+exercise&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=z2S4U7fgOY-JogT3wYKQCA&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1276&bih=706

Dirty Dogs
http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/better_butt_slideshow/webmd_rf_photo_of_side_kick_exercise.jpg

Donkey Kicks
http://www.google.com/search?q=donkey+kicks&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cmW4U6jHOsv1oATcjICACA&ved=0CCUQsAQ&biw=1276&bih=706

Stuff like these. Not weight bearing but it would seem weight bearing is not really in the works for leg exercises for you anyway. But something is better then nothing in most cases.

Yeah, my friend is 28 or 29? And has an aggressive form of MS with lots of lesions. I actually IM'ed Dark Tide and he was very helpful and bytheway DT, she really appreciated your input, don't remember if I told you or not. She wasn't able to do the main drug you wanted as she was JVC positive and she had some other issues, either way. Hi jack over.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Stanc, no advise but I do want to give you some encouragement.  I don't have MS but I did get Lyme which went untreated for about a year and settled in my spine, where I have several MS-like lesions.  Keep a positive outlook!  There are victims and survivors, but survivors are happier while dealing with the same issues.  As someone who has also survived extensive 3rd degree burns and grafts, I try to remember that.  

Please update this thread, I'd like to know how this goes for you.  I seem to get nerve relapses as my physical condition improves, but I think it's coincidental.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have those bungee cords.  You can do that for calf raises on the right foot, while in bed as well.

ETA: what city are you in?

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stanc, no advise but I do want to give you some encouragement.  I don't have MS but I did get Lyme which went untreated for about a year and settled in my spine, where I have several MS-like lesions.  Keep a positive outlook!  There are victims and survivors, but survivors are happier while dealing with the same issues.  As someone who has also survived extensive 3rd degree burns and grafts, I try to remember that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ouch! I cannot imagine going through something like that. You are truly a survivor.
Please update this thread, I'd like to know how this goes for you.

Sure, if there's anything noteworthy to report, I'll be happy to give an update. Although, at the present snail's pace of progress, it may be a while.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you have those bungee cords.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope. I've tried 'em a few times, but disliked working with them.

Escondido.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Escondido.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Escondido.

I'm right down the road from you in Oceanside.

I don't have much to offer, but good luck!

You know, my wife is an excellent Pilates instructor...I wonder if something like that may help you out?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You know, my wife is an excellent Pilates instructor...I wonder if something like that may help you out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Escondido.

Dude!  Have you seen RoG's wife???  Pilates will definitely help.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#16]
lol
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Escondido.

Howdy, neighbor!

I dunno. How is Pilates for producing a substantial increase in muscle mass and strength?
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Howdy, neighbor!

I dunno. How is Pilates for producing a substantial increase in muscle mass and strength?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Escondido.

Howdy, neighbor!

It's great for strength in the core- here's the thing though, it sounds like you're not going to be able to do anything to really substantially increase muscle mass. I think there may be some potential for pilates to help strengthen you enough to help with day-to-day life.

I can squat 400+ and she can kick my ass in 5 min...it's fucking hard, but at the same time can be done by people with severe limitations.

I'll talk it over with the wife when I get a chance and see what she thinks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#19]

I was gonna say something along these lines but don't really have any experience with pilates. But I will echo what RoG said about building mass. Couple of things, you lack some of the stuff (material equipment) to really "build mass". You have some limitations with balance which make doing anything under load dangerous.

I think continue doing what you are doing, add in the recommendations from this thread. Remember, strength and size don't always go hand in hand. IMHO I think you should add a good deal of emphasis to static strength exercises balance depending. Like Squat holds against a wall type of stuff. Holding yourself in the leaning rest. Leg raises with the heels held 6"s off the ground etc. You can do static stuff for most muscles but it would depend on balance. Don't need you to go face planting into anything.

But you are doing great IMO

I am just praying to God my friend retains the ability to walk in 10 years...
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
...I will echo what RoG said about building mass. Couple of things, you lack some of the stuff (material equipment) to really "build mass". You have some limitations with balance which make doing anything under load dangerous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...I will echo what RoG said about building mass. Couple of things, you lack some of the stuff (material equipment) to really "build mass". You have some limitations with balance which make doing anything under load dangerous.

Yup. I also have "structural" limitations imposed by ankylosing spondylitis, in addition to a very large inguinal hernia.

I don't expect (nor do I want) to be anywhere near as big as, say, Ronnie Coleman. I'd just like to achieve what, to me, would be good musculature.
I think continue doing what you are doing, add in the recommendations from this thread.

Concur. I began my workouts as more of an experiment to see what development I might achieve, given my age and medical problems. I suppose I should stick with that idea.
Remember, strength and size don't always go hand in hand.

Sure, I know that. My arms have responded fairly well to my workouts, insofar as size, shape, and definition are concerned. But, their strength is far below what one might expect for the size.
I am just praying to God my friend retains the ability to walk in 10 years...

I hope so, too. With MS, you never know.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep up the good work man
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, so I talked it over with the wife. She has not worked with someone with MS before but is willing to. The woman who taught my wife Pilates (who is fucking awesome, worked with the US Downhill skiing team and is super cool) has though, and has given her tons of good info on it. She has worked with people with it, and has helped them quite a bit (I don't know the exact metrics or anything).

I'm not going to lie- private sessions are not particularly cheap but if you want to give it a shot. IM me and I'll give you her contact info so you can set something up with her.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ok, so I talked it over with the wife. She has not worked with someone with MS before but is willing to. The woman who taught my wife Pilates (who is fucking awesome, worked with the US Downhill skiing team and is super cool) has though, and has given her tons of good info on it. She has worked with people with it, and has helped them quite a bit (I don't know the exact metrics or anything).

I'm not going to lie- private sessions are not particularly cheap but if you want to give it a shot. IM me and I'll give you her contact info so you can set something up with her.
View Quote

Thanks very much for the info. I deeply appreciate your efforts, but I'll have to decline. It costs me $3000 per month to stay here, which has put me into deficit spending comparable to that of the politicians in Washington DC. I don't spend any additional money unless it's absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#24]
No worries man, I wish you the best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Update for those who might be interested. Changes in workout from last month noted in red below.
Quoted:
My weekly workout routine is:

MWF

Morning Session
Towel Rows -------------------- 4 sets to failure (currently, about 30, 28, 26, 24 reps) 4 sets x 30 reps

Afternoon Session
Self-assisted Dips -------------- 3 sets to failure (currently, about 22, 21, 20 reps) 3 sets to failure (about 25, 24, 22 reps)

Evening Session
Lateral Raises ------------------- 4 drop sets (6 lbs @ 20 reps followed by 4 lbs @ 20 reps) 5 sets (4lbs @ 1x40, 6 lbs @ 1x30, 8lbs @ 1x15, 8 lbs @ 1x12, 6 lbs @ 1x30)

TTS

Morning

Afternoon

Evening
View Quote

A tiny bit of improvement in number of reps for a couple of exercises, but still no discernible increase in muscle mass over what it was 3-4 months ago.

I'm wondering if going to failure might be counterproductive? In younger years, I never did exercises to failure, but always made noticeable gains. Of course, that was also prior to the neurological disorder.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#26]
My friend is gonna do the chemo stem cell treatment in Chicago.

Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#27]
A small improvement is still an improvement!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My friend is gonna do the chemo stem cell treatment in Chicago.
View Quote

I wish her all the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top