Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2014 8:22:17 PM EDT
Started running daily again about a month ago and my bad knee hurts daily now. Funny thing is, it doesn't hurt when I run. Just hurts walking around the house and crap.

So I'm hoping I can find some running shoes or insoles, I prefer to go the insole route, that may take some of the force off my knee.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Near Philly?

if you are I can recommend a guy who'll fit you - it's worth it and he did a great job getting me into some nice shoes for nothing extra

if you're not - look into getting yourself looked at by a pro
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
brooks
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:18:59 AM EDT
[#3]
You should really be running in new, quality, fitted shoes.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
brooks
View Quote

this is where I ended up... they're very nice shoes
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Sauciny omni, Brooks beast or ghost are great for big guys.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not a big guy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Or people who need more stability or motion control...
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to a fleet feet, lukes locker type store where they sell actual running shoes. Have one of the associates watch you run and get a recommendation.

Nikes and Mizunos fit and feel the best for me, can't stand Brooks, Asics, or Sauconys.

I always bought running shoes off of the shelf at Academy, not any more.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 3:59:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not a big guy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a big guy.

I use Brooks as well addictions. 120+$ fitted by a store that is run by runners and specializes in that area.
I also use arch mold supports. The blue ones. My knee /back pain stopped when running.  But losing 50+ lbs helped that lmao.
Even after a bad injury (lower back)  they help. They ain't sexy looking compared to other shoes but I tired running n new balance ...avia..Nike St..I tried on the other big name runners..but went with Brooks...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Put some Dr. Scholl's active insoles in today & they did help. We'll see if they help long term.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Me and my brother both run in Hoka's.  They have a extra extra thick and flexible sole.  I had ankle pain and almost gave up running from joint pain but the ugly hoka's made it actually pain free.  I still don't lik running but I do way better with the hoka's.  I wore out a pair last year and just bought a new set.

It's kind of like running on a temperpedic mattress.

Try to find a running store to test out a pair.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoka-One-Stinson-Trail-Running/dp/B00E0M9ZDC/ref=sr_1_1?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1403580979&sr=1-1&keywords=hoka+stinson
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#12]
i ran my ironman in saucony hatteras with no blisters or issues.

I dont run much anymore, but wear strike movement chill pills now for shorter distances
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Go to a running store and get your gait analyzed.

You run for a bit on a treadmill and they film you.  They look and can detect issues like excess pronation or supination.  These issues affect body geometry and can make knees, shins, hips, or even your back hurt.

If you have excess pronation or supination they can recommend several shoes with support to address these concerns.  Then you can pick based on fit, comfort, weight, or even something as silly as brand.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#14]
How long after you run is it before your knee begins to hurt?  
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How long after you run is it before your knee begins to hurt?  
View Quote

Right away when I get home
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You run for a bit on a treadmill and they film you.  They look and can detect issues like excess pronation or supination.  These issues affect body geometry and can make knees, shins, hips, or even your back hurt.

If you have excess pronation or supination they can recommend several shoes with support to address these concerns.  Then you can pick based on fit, comfort, weight, or even something as silly as brand.

View Quote

This. I did this 4 years ago when I started running. Glad I did. Saved me lots of time and pain.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

I started running and was wearing Nike Shox and hey were getting worn out. Anyway, I was having issues with the ball of my right foot hurting. I decided I needed some shoes so i went to a local store that specializes in running. I did the whole treadmill analyzation and they showed me how my right ankle rolls in on my right foot while running. Made perfect since for the pain I was having. He recommended some shoes with a medium support and had me try on several pairs to see which felt the best while running.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I did the running store thing and they put me in some bulky and heavy Nikes. Drank the minimalist koolaid and haven't looked back. Of course, after finally finding a shoe I really like; it's been discontinued.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I did the running store thing and they put me in some bulky and heavy Nikes. Drank the minimalist koolaid and haven't looked back. Of course, after finally finding a shoe I really like; it's been discontinued.
View Quote

What shoe were you wearing?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#20]
brb merrell trail glove
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I Like Altra... they have some interesting ideas that seem to make sense.
if you need stability they have built shoes just for that
http://www.altrarunning.com/fitness/en/Altra/Men/repetition-mens
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Nikes or the minimalist shoes?

The Nikes were Structure 13.

Switched to Altra, with first the Instincts and then the Samson.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://thatlinuxbox.com/blog/images/articles/review-altra-samson_1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was wondering which of the minimalist footwear got discontinued.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been running in Nike Structures for a while. Probably gone through 10-11 pairs in the last few years. Since they changed them in the 16's I'm looking elsewhere. Too stiff, hard sole, less support.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Samsons. This pair I'm holding together with shoe goo. Altra sent me another pair for $20 after I found out they were discontinuing them; but I'm trying to hold out from using them as long as possible.

They said they will not be making any minimalist shoes for the foreseeable future; which is odd because that's one of the things they were really big on when they started their company.

If I didn't already have this second pair; I'd probably try out the Merrell Vapor Glove. Seems similar but even lighter weight.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:55:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Samsons. This pair I'm holding together with shoe goo. Altra sent me another pair for $20 after I found out they were discontinuing them; but I'm trying to hold out from using them as long as possible.

They said they will not be making any minimalist shoes for the foreseeable future; which is odd because that's one of the things they were really big on when they started their company.

If I didn't already have this second pair; I'd probably try out the Merrell Vapor Glove. Seems similar but even lighter weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you checked out the NB minimus line?  The Brooks Pure line?

The minimalist category is really shrinking.  Im sure companies that started because of it are having a hard time with their margins.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:03:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the problem for companies (good for the consumer) is that minimalist shoes last so much longer than the traditional cushioned variety. The typical saying is that you need to change your running shoes every 200 miles because the cushioning wears out. Minimalist it's wear them until they fall apart.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think the problem for companies (good for the consumer) is that minimalist shoes last so much longer than the traditional cushioned variety. The typical saying is that you need to change your running shoes every 200 400-500 miles because the cushioning wears out. Minimalist it's wear them until they fall apart.
View Quote

Well, youre kinda close.  Everyones different, and it depends on the type of minimalist footwear.  I'd agree that they tend to last longer than traditional shoes, but only because of the form change and the biomechanical response from the body from the GRF.  

And durability has no bearing on sales.  Minimalist footwear went from 10% of the market in Q1 2012, to 3% of the market in Q4 2013.  The bigger companies were able to absorb their loses, the smaller ones that only existed because of the minimalist boom, not so much.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope they keep making them. I'd hate having to try to go back to heavily cushioned.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I hope they keep making them. I'd hate having to try to go back to heavily cushioned.
View Quote

It wont completely disappear, you just wont have as many choices. And a lot of those true minimalist choices are are being redesigned into transitional shoes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top