User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what I am really scared is that the protein diets will cause a sharp rise in cholesterol etc. and still have the weight.

I don't lift weights and I really want to get lean before doing anything to "buff up."

I just want the fat gone before it kills me with the least resistance possible or I will not be able to get there.

when I here the terms paleo etc. I think complicated diet etc.

I am gaining confidence that I can do it because I have achieved measured results by doing something, if not the right thing.

I guess what I am asking is what is the one thing I can do tomorrow better than today.

Today I stopped coffee.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
what I am really scared is that the protein diets will cause a sharp rise in cholesterol etc. and still have the weight.

I don't lift weights and I really want to get lean before doing anything to "buff up."

I just want the fat gone before it kills me with the least resistance possible or I will not be able to get there.

when I here the terms paleo etc. I think complicated diet etc.

I am gaining confidence that I can do it because I have achieved measured results by doing something, if not the right thing.

I guess what I am asking is what is the one thing I can do tomorrow better than today.

Today I stopped coffee.

I went Paleo and do a standard "Meat and two veg," yeah like Austin Powers. Meat, two veggies every meal, eat until I'm done. Fuck counting calories, fuck being hungry, fuck eating what food eats.

EXAMPLES HERE Note, Peanut Butter is NOT Paleo.

Add in good fats like coconut oils and olive oils, avacadoes (You like guacamole? Eat it on EVERYTHING) and nuts, but keep the nuts to a minimum as snack foods if you wanna lose weight.

Instead of retyping it, I'll just serve you up some copypasta.

BTW, I lost 70lbs in 6 months on Paleo.

Paleo almost solid for 3.5 years now. Had a bit of a rough time the last few months of our most recent pregnancy. Why run to Sonic at 10pm for one Snickers Blast and order of Cheddar Peppers when you can get two orders, right? One order is pretty much a waste of gas if you think about it.

Had high cholesterol and high blood pressure for years. Dr. kept trying to put me on medication for both at 32 yrs old.

Got flagged for low HDL. I admittedly slack on good fats. Talked to the (paleo) sammich maker. Gonna work on that. Otherwise, looks pretty good overall.

BP was 117/74 if I remember correctly. And I had just spit my dip out.

GLUCOSE70 - 100 mg/dL ------- 99

REFERENCE INTERVAL BASED ON MINIMUM 8 HOUR FASTING SAMPLE.

BUN7 - 22 mg/dL ------ 17
CREATININE0.50 - 1.30 mg/dL ------ 0.95
SODIUM136 - 145 mEq/L ------ 138
POTASSIUM3.5 - 5.3 mEq/L ------- 4.4
CHLORIDE98 - 109 mEq/L ------ 106
CARBON DIOXIDE22 - 29 mEq/L ------ 24
CALCIUM8.6 - 10.1 mg/dL ------- 9.3
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL0.2 - 1.2 mg/dL -------- 0.5
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE34 - 130 Units/L ------------ 65
SGOT (AST)0 - 40 Units/L ---------- 17
SGPT (ALT)0 - 68 Units/L ---------- 14
PROTEIN, TOTAL6.0 - 8.0 gm/dL -------- 7.5
ALBUMIN3.4 - 4.6 gm/dL ------------ 4.2

CHOLESTEROL 149

< 200 mg/dL ..... DESIRABLE
200 - 239 mg/dL ..... BORDERLINE HIGH
>= 240 mg/dL ..... HIGH

TRIGLYCERIDES 51

< 150 mg/dL ..... NORMAL
150 - 199 mg/dL ..... BORDERLINE HIGH
200 - 499 mg/dL ..... HIGH
>= 500 mg/dL ..... VERY HIGH

HDL CHOLESTEROL 40 - 60 mg/dL ------------- 37 L

LDL CHOLESTEROL 102

< 100 mg/dL ..... OPTIMAL
100 - 129 mg/dL ..... NEAR OPTIMAL/ABOVE OPTIMAL
130 - 159 mg/dL ..... BORDERLINE HIGH
160 - 189 mg/dL ...... HIGH
>= 190 mg/dL ..... VERY HIGH

NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL 112

REFERENCE INTERVALS: MALES FEMALES
O-5 YEARS: (NO REFERENCE INTERVAL)
5-10 YEARS: <160 mg/dL <171 mg/dL
10-15 YEARS: <164 mg/dL <167 mg/dL
15-20 YEARS: <161 mg/dL <168 mg/dL
--------------------------------------------------------------
< 130 mg/dL ..... OPTIMAL
130 - 159 mg/dL ..... NEAR OPTIMAL/ABOVE OPTIMAL
160 - 189 mg/dL ..... BORDERLINE HIGH
190 - 219 mg/dL ..... HIGH
>= 220 mg/dL ..... VERY HIGH

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok picked up a dozen eggs bag of spinach leaves 6 Avacados tomatoes on the border salsa

I passed on the Mexican coke chips and the rest of the Ingrid's t's for spinach dip a guacamole and got natural almonds instead.

Is vinegar dressing ok?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch the salsa, read labels. Lot of it is hfcs based, get "real" home style salsa. I guess a little is ok, but if you're anything like me, you'll overdo it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Read labels on the border did not have hfcs. Ingridents were vegatables  and spices
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Balsamic vinegar based dressings are my staple for salads. I was very disappointed when I read other dressing labels, practically pouring the equivalent of coke on a salad.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You are making a terrible mistake not eating real food.

Eat meat and vegetables.  Add some sweet potatoes and count calories.

ETA The oatmeal (depending on type) and apple can be ok for you.  There rest you shouldn't go anywhere near.
View Quote

QFT.  

OP, you need to eat real food, this means fruit, veggies (preferably fresh) and meat.  Cut out the processed foods entirely.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:23:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Great work on your recent loss.

I'm in a similar situation, going from about 245 lbs at the start of May.  Type 2 diabetes.  Been doing general calorie counting and now Atkins induction as of 9 days ago, down to 228 as of today.  The premise is similar, high protein low carb, but I still keep my calories below 1800.  If I'm eating carbs it's good veggies, never bread or chips or anything that has simple sugars in it.

Work out everyday.  Once you start getting used to it, you feel bad not doing SOMETHING every day.  Alternate muscle groups or just do simple cardio stuff like walking, just nut up and make sure to do something.

Get a myfitnesspal account to keep track of all the stuff you eat.

Don't forget to drink a shit ton of WATER!  They say 64 oz daily?  Fuck that, I do at least twice as much daily.

Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#8]
as usual my eggs tasted great and filled me up. I have cut bananas and juice from the breakfast menu and drink lemon water.

Lunch sucked today. It was so unfulfilling I went to the gas station and got plain beef jerk (only thing that wasn't a calorie bomb that had protein)

I will choke down the remaining meals I have and switch over to easy paleo.

my weight is not coming off as fast now, so this may be the right time to switch up diet and bump the exercise.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
as usual my eggs tasted great and filled me up. I have cut bananas and juice from the breakfast menu and drink lemon water.

Lunch sucked today. It was so unfulfilling I went to the gas station and got plain beef jerk (only thing that wasn't a calorie bomb that had protein)
View Quote

Awesome.

As a former fatbody, this was always my biggest beef with "diets."

I can only eat carrot sticks and shit for so long before I decide I'd rather be fat than choke down another shitty, unsatisfying meal.

Also, watch the juice, high in sugar and isn't satiating. in fact, it's the opposite. It'll make your sugar spike and then crash and you'll be ravenous in a couple hours.

Stick to real foods and only drink water, and brewed beverages. I.E. Coffee, black and unsweetened tea. You'll get used to it and the "old" flavors will taste ridiculous in a month or so. Sweet tea and doctored coffee tastes nasty to me now. I prefer the pure, clean taste of fresh brewed and nothing else.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey OP, if it helps having general guidelines, then this may help.

I did this and then went Paleo after the first month. Highly recommend it. It's basically super strict Paleo and then actual Paleo allows for some small concessions (dairy, rice etc) but only after you've reset your system and can tell if they negatively affect you.

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I gave up coffee because it is a stimulant I really don't need as I no longer wake up tired and French vanilla creamer is t the best for me so I drink water with my oatmeal and banana in the morning.

Oatmeal is starting to get old. I might try to make that my first real food meal and do that for the next month. If I can stick to cooking breakfast the right way for the month the. I will work on making dinner the next month.

Off to find some breakfast recipes.
View Quote

Try Mark Sisson's no-atmeal. It's delicious!

ETA: I only put about 1/3 of a banana in it. Tasty enough for me!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I did this and then went Paleo after the first month. Highly recommend it. It's basically super strict Paleo and then actual Paleo allows for some small concessions (dairy, rice etc) but only after you've reset your system and can tell if they negatively affect you.

View Quote

I'm day 17 into my whole30 and I'm feeling great. It's way easier than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife and I are doing this right now.  In the last year

Last year when I was getting out the Army had balooned up to 250 ( I am 73") my cholestorol was at 270 and sugar at 100. Ar 45 I did not want to end up on statins the rest of my life and I did not want to be battling Type 2 diabetes.

I had lost a great deal of weight before I went from from 260 down to 203 .  I did that on wight watchers in 2005-06.  After I got to 203 I stopped really monitoring my weight and since I was back on active duty getting ready to go to Iraq I made the mistake of not (1) watching the quality of what I ate and (2) thinking because I was being active I did not really need to worry about what I put in my body.  Not true.

Two things you must understand - while it's true you need to burn more calories than you consume, it is more nuanced than that - you are not going to be able to excercise your way out of being overweight.  You need to change how you eat, not just to lose the weight - but for life.

You are not addicted to food, my main compalinat about WW is there is that subtext of addiction to food, but what you may be addicted to is sugar.  I never understood why if I was carrying around 20-30 extra lbs (or more) why in the middle of the morning I was "starving" - why is my body not tapping into the fat I had?  What it was craving was sugar - that's why I had a headached and felt light headed.

The problem for so many Americans is there is so much susgar and other stuff that is not food that is put in the prepared items we buy, it is a losing battle.  Obese Americans, by and large, are not that way because they want to be - the battle is occuring at the grocery store.

As far as discipline goes, there is an element of that involved - but it is not about "Push-aways" as the Drill Sergeants like to say - it is about weating the right food.  We are going to have Steak and broccli on Thursday night - you simply can't eat too much of that unless you really want to  make yourself miserable.  Most extra wight does not come from Thanksgiving-like indulgence.

The biggest change I have noticed on Day 8 of the Whole30 is that I can go from Breakfast to lunch with no snack - and I am not starving when I hit lunch.

I also recommend using MyFitnessPal on your smart phone.

Last summer I weighed 250 - today I weigh 195.  My goal is 190.  You can do this and be medication free.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#14]
You're getting on the right track OP
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I broke down and cheated at lunch. I got two slices of sausage pizza from Casey's. Yes I was that hungry I ate gas station pizza
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I broke down and cheated at lunch. I got two slices of sausage pizza from Casey's. Yes I was that hungry I ate gas station pizza
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try setting aside one meal a week- whenever is convenient for cheats. In my mind, if I can say "ok, I am NOT going to eat pizza/ice cream/cheesecake/all of the above/ right now, BUT if I wait until Saturday evening THEN I can....then I can resist much easier.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Try setting aside one meal a week- whenever is convenient for cheats. In my mind, if I can say "ok, I am NOT going to eat pizza/ice cream/cheesecake/all of the above/ right now, BUT if I wait until Saturday evening THEN I can....then I can resist much easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what I usually do but some stressors (cough wife cough) got to me today.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#18]
lol....well, shit happens I guess
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're going to eat pretty much just eggs for breakfast (which I do), find a local hobby farm that will sell them to you direct.

You haven't tasted decent eggs until you've got them direct from a small hobby farm that feeds the chickens something other than slop.

Seriously.

That's my only advice.   I fell off the wagon a year ago with weight loss, and I'm trying to motivate myself to get back on it.  I managed to keep some of the eating habits that I worked on (high protein, more fresh veggies & fruits, olive oil, no bread, no butter, very few processed foods, etc).  But I stopped exercising and still eat way too much (even if your eating real whole foods, you can overdo it...  trust me )

looking for inspiration.  Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I have my own chickens, you're definitely right about real eggs!

Also, try Kerrygold butter...so good...nothing wrong with it...
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#21]

UPDATE 6-20: Getting some good advice and modifying diet. Going to a "strict "paleo diet for next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

UPDATE 6-20: Getting some good advice and modifying diet. Going to a "strict "paleo diet for next couple of weeks.

View Quote
Good plan!  I'll try to send you information on how a paleo diet lowers cholesterol.  I've been on the exact diet you're doing for nearly 25 years (Adkins before that) and my cholesterol is perfect, I am no longer Dependant on insulin for my diabetes, my blood pressure is 95/70 resting heart rate of 58ppm.  Now exercise has something to do with it as does hereditary but diet is most important.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#23]
The Cholesterol myth

Above is a good starting point on cholesterol, another good source is to watch the documentary "Super Size Me."  In Super size me the author goes in to detail  about how political lobbiest introduced the bad cholesterol myth.

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I treated myself today. My 44in jeans are about 4 inches too big now and my belt is worn out so i upgraded my belt

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:57:12 AM EDT
[#25]
How are you doing?  
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:07:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How are you doing?  
View Quote

I got sick with strep and ear infection about 10 days ago and then fell off the wagon...

so i added a bit of weight unfortunately.

It is monday morning and time to hop back on that pony..
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:03:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good plan!  I'll try to send you information on how a paleo diet lowers cholesterol.  I've been on the exact diet you're doing for nearly 25 years (Adkins before that) and my cholesterol is perfect, I am no longer Dependant on insulin for my diabetes, my blood pressure is 95/70 resting heart rate of 58ppm.  Now exercise has something to do with it as does hereditary but diet is most important.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is evidence that the mechanism by which Paleo lowers cholesterol is carbohydrate restriction. Aside from switching to burning body fat, if your body runs out of glycogen to burn, it actually starts to burn cholesterol for energy!
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:06:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I got sick with strep and ear infection about 10 days ago and then fell off the wagon...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How are you doing?  

Chances are if you carbed up you are mostly retaining water, and it will shed just as fast as you retained it.

Keep it up bro, I lost 43lbs 2 years ago on the strict paleo diet, shit works.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How are you doing?  

Man, that's nasty!  I'm sorry to hear that.  Great news though once you rid yourself of carbs your body's immune system will be supercharged and you won't be fueling bad infections anymore.  Strep loves carbs/sugar.

I hope you feel better soon!  

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#30]
At least it is now melting off. Down 3 lbs in a couple of days.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nice!  Are you feeling more satisfied?

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:19:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm sorry I haven't checked in lately.  How are you doing?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:56:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I am doing well. I have been super busy. I was getting obsessed withdY to day weight so I stopped weighing in.

I am focusing on developing routines etc that  last long haul.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Just read this article OP. Might be relevant to what you're talking about.

http://whole9life.com/2012/10/400000-hour-body/

The Secret

You want to maximize health and achieve optimal fitness? We’ll tell you exactly how to do it.

Eat foods that makes you healthier, every meal, every day. Eat foods that makes you less healthy infrequently, if at all. Eat just enough to support activity levels and goals.

Exercise. Work hard, but more importantly, work smart. Too much volume, intensity and frequency is just as bad as too little.

Recover. Devote as much effort to recovery practices as you do to exercise. This is not optional. Most fall miserably short in this category.

Sleep 8-9 hours a night, in a cool, dark room. Make time for this. You can get away with less, but only if it’s summer.

Manage your stress. Deal with it in a healthy fashion. Stress will undermine all of the above,  and is perhaps the most important factor (after nutrition).

Do this, day in and day out, for years and years and years, as consistently as you can.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Good job OP!  I've been following this thread as I've been on my own weight loss/trying to get healthier journey, and it's definitely helped me.

My wake up call occurred in the end of February this year when I ruptured my left Achilles tendon while running a race against my eight year old daughter at a softball camp.  I'm 6'2" and was at 350 lbs at that point.  After surgery to repair the tendon I was on crutches for six weeks, then in a boot for another four.  

I had an epiphany when I started doing physical therapy and decided that I was not going to waste the exercise my PT was having me do (elliptical, stair climber, and stationary bike in addition to a multitude of stretches to regain range of motion in my ankle).  I started using MyFitnessPal on my iPhone to log my calorie intake, which caused me to really pay attention to what I was eating as well as the quantity I was eating.  Logging calories has also really cut down on my snacking.  I still get the urge/craving to get a snack, but when I weigh how many calories vs the little bit of satisfaction I'll get from the snack I usually say "F this, it's not worth it" and drink a couple glasses of water to fill myself up.

Long story short, I've lost about 54 lbs since mid-May and I'm at the point where I need to start thinking about buying new clothes.  So thank you for starting this thread chronicling your progress, and contributing to my motivation.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:08:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Thank you all. Inspiration begets inspiration. Makes me want to really double down.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top