Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/1/2014 5:31:15 AM EDT
I guess I have come to a realization, and epiphany as it were. It started about 90 days ago when I participated in the corporate athlete program called energy for life, by the human performance institute, Johnson & Johnson (highly recommend it  for your own companies). It went over body and mind, purpose in life, and how to recover from stress and how to eat etc..

so in the past 3 weeks this "epiphany occurred:

I am an alcoholic, not with booze, but with food. My body/mind/emotions/what have you responds to food as an alcoholic's body responds to alcohol.

I accept that analogy even if it is not 100%, but it makes sense to me.

Over eating will kill you the same as alcohol will, just as painful (heart disease, kidney problems etc.)

So what have i done about it.

I always wanted to lose weight and sought out diets/exercise plans that would give me the results i wanted. They never worked, because i never truly accepted who i was and what i was doing. That has changed now. I see what i am accept that, and know what i have to do the live with it, I will not be able to change who i am, but i will learn to control it.

I started at 323. I am now 310.2. My losing will slow down. Primary goal is under 300 by July 1. By May of next year, total weight loss should be 150 lbs.

But what about exercise? at least 30 mins a day on elliptical until weight is low enough to comfortably do core ab and back exercises to build up strength for the exercises i will need later this year.

ETA: I also do a 7 minute 6 "station" work out around 2-230 in afternoon before my afternoon snack. It consists of chair dips chair toe touches holding pushup wall sit squats and jumping jacks (30 seconds each) its enough to get blood flowing and heart moving to avoid the afternoon drags.

UPDATE 6-20: Getting some good advice and modifying diet. Going to a "strict "paleo diet for next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You are making a terrible mistake not eating real food.

Eat meat and vegetables.  Add some sweet potatoes and count calories.

ETA The oatmeal (depending on type) and apple can be ok for you.  There rest you shouldn't go anywhere near.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA The oatmeal (depending on type) and apple can be ok for you.  There rest you shouldn't go anywhere near.
View Quote

Serious question. I am losing weight, if this is working and I feel no need to binge is the food really worse than the weight I am losing? Meaning is it better to remove the weight for the longer while in the short term using this technique?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Diet looks like you are still eating a lot of sugar and processed foods.

Earlier advice on eating real foods with an emphasis on proteins and good fats is good advice. Look up South Beach Diet, Paleo, etc., and see what you can learn from them.

Good start OP. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Serious question. I am losing weight, if this is working and I feel no need to binge is the food really worse than the weight I am losing? Meaning is it better to remove the weight for the longer while in the short term using this technique?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

all diets work
the question is, can you sustain it over a lifetime?

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

all diets work

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all diets work

That is it. My caloric intake will have to increase once the desired weight is lost in order to maintain that weight.

staying this heavy over the next year may kill me, but will the method of weight loss kill me?

does that make sense?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Why should eating real food kill you?

Seriously, the other guys nailed it. Get rid of processed food. I'd go further, and eliminate the oatmeal too. For some strange reason, people hang onto oatmeal in their diet far beyond what logic and rationality calls for.

Get rid of your sugar water too. Orange juice is the Devil's urine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
OP

Go forth and read....

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

If you are losing weight, then gain some knowledge and see where you want to tweak your diet.  As others have said, real food.  Add a little exercise and you can really nuke the weight early on, especially if you are very heavy.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Yay.  Microwave meals for lunch and dinner.  Fucking oatmeal for breakfast

No shit you lost weight
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]
First, good work making the commitment to change your life- and it WILL change your life if you stick with it.

Second, your diet will work if losing weight is your only concern.

Third, there are healthier, more sustainable ways to do it that will cut a higher percentage of fat while not losing as much muscle, and also keep you more full and thus less likely to binge since you'll be more satisfied.

A couple things to think about:
-You NEED fat
-You need very little carbs
-You need protein
-Fat and protein keep you satiated
-Real food is generally healthier than processed food
-YOu are currently starting your day with carbs carbs and more carbs. What is fueling your brain? Muscles?

So if you'd like to be LEANER and not just weight less, eat more fat, more protein, less carbs and less processed shit.

Something like this:

Breakfast
2-3 eggs cooked with zucchini in coconut oil or butter

Snack
A few almonds, maybe half an apple

Lunch
a HUGE salad with some kind of meat on it with olive oil and vinegar for dressing.

Snack
same

Dinner
Meat (fatty is ok)
A shit ton of green veggies

This is fairly low carb, but not NO carb. It's highish protein and moderate fat and will = a lot of good weight loss and much better health.

ETA- Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I commend you for taking the steps to get healthy and identifying that you have a health issue!  

It's amazing how humans will continue to do things wrong and then blame everything else around them.  I hope you continue to get healthy, if for no other reason than your kids.  My daughter was a major motivation for me to get my life right.

What questions do you have?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you all for taking the time to review my plzn. I am basing it on this guy's plan

http://aarongleeman.com/2012/03/07/how-i-lost-150-pounds-in-one-year/
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thank you all for taking the time to review my plzn. I am basing it on this guy's plan

http://aarongleeman.com/2012/03/07/how-i-lost-150-pounds-in-one-year/
View Quote

Yeah, I mean it WILL work. I think we all just think there's better ways to do it, that will be more sustainable for you in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
First, good work making the commitment to change your life- and it WILL change your life if you stick with it.

Third, there are healthier, more sustainable ways to do it that will cut a higher percentage of fat while not losing as much muscle, and also keep you more full and thus less likely to binge since you'll be more satisfied.

-You NEED fat
-You need protein
-YOu are currently starting your day with carbs carbs and more carbs. What is fueling your brain? Muscles?

So if you'd like to be LEANER and not just weight less, eat more fat, more protein, less carbs and less processed shit.

Something like this:

Breakfast

Snack

Lunch
a HUGE salad with some kind of meat on it with olive oil and vinegar for dressing.

Snack
same

Dinner
Meat (fatty is ok)

This is fairly low carb, but not NO carb. It's highish protein and moderate fat and will = a lot of good weight loss and much better health.

ETA- Good luck!!!
View Quote

Excellent info here. Looks like I have some changes to make also.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't believe ROG...

He's trying to make you fat...

Or awesome...  

Can't figure out which...
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't believe ROG...

Or awesome...  

View Quote

Haha
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Good luck with your goals and congratulations on your epiphany.  A food addiction is just as serious if not more so than alcohol.  The thing with food is we need it.  You can live without alcohol but you have to eat to live.  

I have a few questions for you:

Male/Female (sorry, I can't tell from your posts or your avatar!)

How much weight do you need to lose?

Have you ran into any obstacles?  (self destructive behavior, obsessive behaviors etc.)  

Do you have any health concerns (diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, arthritis, fibromyalgia, high blood pressure, depression or anxiety would be the more important ones)

The reason I ask is because I am a life coach and I help clients lose great amounts of weight.  I can't say my method is the best (it does work very well) but like the others ahead of me I recommend to my clients a dramatically different diet.  I'd like to see how it compares.

Regardless, Best of luck to you!    Patty

ETA I follow a diet similar to ROA suggests, when my clients have major health concerns I recommend http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/ Joe Cross' diet or if my client has had a history of cancer, heart disease and type 2 diabetes I recommend a Gerson Diet.  I have clients completely heal their bodies with both of these methods.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#17]
High blood pressure but very much under control with one little pill a day.

I tend to eat without thinking especially at night. I guess that is compulsive

Male

150 lbs would put me in the 170 range at 5' 10"
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Male

View Quote
How old are you?

I really recommend you watching the movie I linked to above.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How old are you?   I really recommend you watching the movie I linked to above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Male

35. I will check it out.

Here is a link to my spreadsheet of loss:

spreadsheet
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

35. I will check it out.

spreadsheet
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Male

35. I will check it out.

spreadsheet
I'd like to work with you. I think there are more productive methods of weight loss that would allow you to build healthy habits while feeling satisfied.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS

I've done the low-cal high-carb shit and it fucking SUUCKKSSS.

Have eggs for breakfast. Veggies and grilled sausage for lunch. Steak and sweet potato for dinner. God, you'll feel so much better, OP. Since going with more meats and veggies, I've completely lost all need to snack inbetween meals.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't believe ROG...

Or awesome...  

View Quote

If I looked like Roland, I wouldn't work. I wouldn't leave the house. I'd just masturbate in a mirror all goddamn day every day.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If I looked like Roland, I wouldn't work. I wouldn't leave the house. I'd just masturbate in a mirror all goddamn day every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't believe ROG...

Or awesome...  

I'm going to need to see a picture now!
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#24]

women of arfcom....
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

women of arfcom....
View Quote
Forgive me.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#26]
eat real food.  that means you have to learn to cook

I know, you don't want to.  I've dropped a good bit of weight and had a lot more stamina & energy since I've started cooking fresh.

Once you figure out how to do it quickly (don't get complicated, cook it right, pick the right meals), it's not so onerous.  

It's like reloading for the first time.  Tedious.  As.  Fuck.  Do 20 sessions and you won't be tripping all over yourself.

Sucks, I know.  Also means you will have to go grocery shopping ~weekly, and develop a rotation for your foods so they don't go bad.

You will save some money, but you will feel better, lots better.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome. I'm down 31lbs since Feb 1, did low carb and walking until my triglycerides went thru the roof. Dr thinks my testosterone level spiked causing cholesterol issues.

Now I'm doing lean salads, chicken, oatmeal and almond milk shakes. Shakeology is an option I'm looking at.

The low carb thing got me used to food repetition.

Somehow I lost 5lbs on a week long road trip with no exercise and eating fast food salads. I've found my niche (I think) by counting calories using a phone app and making sure protein content is high.

Dr says the biggest concern is losing weight, not necessarily how its done (barring extreme diets).
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#28]
God dammit guys

Eta there may be pics in the men in uniform thread
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Week 3 weigh in. 308.8 lbs., 14.2 lbs. since 5-19-14.

Thank you all for your help. I am evaluating what direction I want to go from here. I am sure to implement some of the suggestions here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#30]
week 4 weight 305, down 18. Dr. has taken me off blood pressure medicine today since it is reading 100/60 and slightly below regularly now, and I want to fall asleep driving in the evening.

Also exploring some new "diet" choices and mind/body wellness.

I am learning accountability is key.

Telling myself I am addicted to food helps me stop casual and "Pavlov" eating.

I have had coke zero and powerade 0 calorie, but completely cut out mcdonalds etc and regular soda. I will have country time half and half tea lemonade with dinner, usually a half glass. Coke zero is maybe 1 a week.

I do give myself one cheat meal a week usually Saturday or Sunday. I do not stress over it and understand I will weight 2 lbs more the next day and two days later I am at a weight slightly below where is was before the cheat meal. if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I had a similar problem OP. I know it's like a broken record but Paleo fixed it. I got away from processed foods and sugars and it gave me the ability to control my hunger and therefore my food intake. I make more sensible choices since my stomach isn't in knots and reeling from hunger and have come to understand how each food affects my body physically and mentally.

When I step off the wagon and eat pizza or fast food I go full retard and it takes DAYS before I feel normal again. I have yo-yo dieted my entire life. Up, down up down. Paleo has been the only thing that lasted for me. I can only eat carrots and fucking dry chicken breast for so long before I freak out and eat everything in sight.

Dropped 70lbs on Paleo and kept it off almost 4 years. Plus the other benefits which I didn't even expect like energy, sex drive, blood pressure ad nauseum.

Read this. It will help you understand. I don't believe it because some dude on the internet (though it IS Robb Wolf) but because I have experienced it.

Good luck OP.

http://robbwolf.com/2012/02/15/carb-addiction-cake-is-the-new-crack/
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#32]
You're doing a great job.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Just watched fat sick and nearly dead. Emotionally got to me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
How so?  

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it makes you feel any better, it's probably nothing but bullshit propaganda put out by the anti-meat Earth Firster enviro-whackos. All those don't eat meat "documentaries" are.

The results are nothing ground breaking. If you drink nothing but vegetable smoothies for two months, you'll lose weight. Vegetables are nutritionally dense and typically low in calories. So blended up in a smoothie, doing a few sciences tells me that they'll be nutritionally dense and low in calories.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Protein sparing modified fasting has showed a ~31lb drop/4-6wk obese patients...

but we're talking sub 1000kcal/day...
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

-You NEED fat
-You need protein

Something like this:

Breakfast

Snack

Lunch

Snack
same

Dinner
Meat (fatty is ok)

ETA- Good luck!!!
View Quote

It looks like a 3-1-3-1-3 block plan on the Zone, using Paleo foods.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't zone, though I typically try to have some protein, fat and carbs at each meal.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How so?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How so?  

I identified with the truck driver although I am 100 lbs less. That juiceing loks good to try for a week to see what happens. Dr has taken me offbp meds now that i read 90's over 60's
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Not going to find many fans of juice diets around here. I mean it's not going to kill you or anything, but seriously, just eat real food man.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not going to find many fans of juice diets around here. I mean it's not going to kill you or anything, but seriously, just eat real food man.
View Quote

+1

You're free to try it if you like, but it's a temporary solution to a permanent problem. The sooner you begin learning to make permanent lifestyle changes the better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

+1

You're free to try it if you like, but it's a temporary solution to a permanent problem. The sooner you begin learning to make permanent lifestyle changes the better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

This, in bold.

I started a ketosis inducing diet a week ago(similar to paleo, but higher in fat than most).  I feel great, losing weight quickly and I still have a ton of energy at the gym.  For anyone who doesn't know, ketosis in a nutshell happens when you train your body to burn fat for energy instead of carbs, and you start secreting ketones as the fat burns and excess acetone is expelled.  Good write up on it HERE.

Weight loss is calories in, calories out.  You can eat garbage at a deficit and still lose weight, but you won't be any healthier.  OP, careful not to starve yourself.  If you body naturally burns carbohydrates for energy, and you don't supply the carbs, your body burns protein for fuel.  If you don't supply the protein, your body will convert your muscles into glycogen.  You will still lose weight, but it will be muscle loss, and I'm sure you don't want that.

As the others in this thread said, eat good clean food, you'll live longer and feel better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#43]
what I am really scared is that the protein diets will cause a sharp rise in cholesterol etc. and still have the weight.

I don't lift weights and I really want to get lean before doing anything to "buff up."

I just want the fat gone before it kills me with the least resistance possible or I will not be able to get there.

when I here the terms paleo etc. I think complicated diet etc.

I am gaining confidence that I can do it because I have achieved measured results by doing something, if not the right thing.

I guess what I am asking is what is the one thing I can do tomorrow better than today.

Today I stopped coffee.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
what I am really scared is that the protein diets will cause a sharp rise in cholesterol etc. and still have the weight.

I don't lift weights and I really want to get lean before doing anything to "buff up."

I just want the fat gone before it kills me with the least resistance possible or I will not be able to get there.

I am gaining confidence that I can do it because I have achieved measured results by doing something, if not the right thing.

I guess what I am asking is what is the one thing I can do tomorrow better than today.

Today I stopped coffee.
View Quote

What we're telling you is "eat real food"

Protein diets will not raise your cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol has VERY little effect on blood cholesterol. High cholesterol runs in my family and the last time it was checked the doc checked it TWICE because my good cholesterol was so high he didn't believe it (which is a good thing).

Some people make paleo difficult, and it CAN be if you're obsessive with being 100% paleo (which is not needed). If you're 80-90% paleo it is super easy: EAT REAL FOOD. Look at the ingredients. Is there a bunch of bullshit you don't understand on there? Not real food. Does it have a shelf life measured in years? Probably not real food. Was it recently alive in its present form (plant/animal/seed). It's real food and you should eat it.

Simple.

You seem stuck on what you're going to do. That's fine. Just consider that a few of us in here have been involved in this stuff for years and have personal experience with it and coached others on it.

ETA- why give up coffee?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I gave up coffee because it is a stimulant I really don't need as I no longer wake up tired and French vanilla creamer is t the best for me so I drink water with my oatmeal and banana in the morning.

Oatmeal is starting to get old. I might try to make that my first real food meal and do that for the next month. If I can stick to cooking breakfast the right way for the month the. I will work on making dinner the next month.

Off to find some breakfast recipes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah, creamer is no good but coffee is fine...though if you don't need it, cool.

Oats and banana = nothing but carbs (and a little protein). Terrible way to start the day.

Eggs and veggies for breakfast, you can't beat it and it's quick.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yeah, creamer is no good but coffee is fine...though if you don't need it, cool.

Oats and banana = nothing but carbs (and a little protein). Terrible way to start the day.

View Quote

scrambled with avocado and tomato? what about salsa?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes to all!

Maybe throw a little spinach in there too.

ETA- you start eating like this, and you'll wonder why you ever ate the regular "diet" food.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Today I stopped coffee.
View Quote

Don't over think the 'buff' part of lifting, 10-20lb dumbbells is all anyone needs to work their muscles.  You don't even need to break a sweat, as long as you're a little sore afterwards.

Also, assuming you do little to no lifting, starting light is what you need to do in the first place, so start now.

Inclined pushups, you can do them anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Don't over think the 'buff' part of lifting, 10-20lb dumbbells is all anyone needs to work their muscles.  You don't even need to break a sweat, as long as you're a little sore afterwards.

Also, assuming you do little to no lifting, starting light is what you need to do in the first place, so start now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today I stopped coffee.

I agree that you can do a lot with light dumbells and some creativity, but soreness is a VERY poor indicator of a good workout.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top