Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 6:22:25 PM EDT
I'm starting a minimalist barbell program based on the deadlift and Press.  I'm not going to invest in a cage, bench or any other equipment at this time.  I plan to follow the Starting Strength format of sets of five, three days per week.  SS recommends deads only once a week but since I'm not squatting will I be overdoing it by deadlifting three times weekly?  Should I do two days a week?  One?  

The barbell exercises, with metal plates, will be the core of my workout but I'll also include bodyweight squats, KB swings and bike riding.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I deadlift twice a week. You can clean the bb and front squat, overhead squat or back squat at lower %.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I deadlift twice a week. You can clean the bb and front squat, overhead squat or back squat at lower %.
View Quote

I would like to build up to that but my balance and flexibility suck so those will be goals to work toward.  I plan on cleaning (or more like hang power clean) the BB for my presses but a true rack position is way beyond me at this point.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
3 times a week
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Deadlift 3x a week. Check and adjust as you go. When your recovery starts to really suck and you're eating/sleeping enough, go to 2x. You've got a while until it becomes an issue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm starting a minimalist barbell program based on the deadlift and Press.  I'm not going to invest in a cage, bench or any other equipment at this time.  I plan to follow the Starting Strength format of sets of five, three days per week.  SS recommends deads only once a week but since I'm not squatting will I be overdoing it by deadlifting three times weekly?  Should I do two days a week?  One?  

The barbell exercises, with metal plates, will be the core of my workout but I'll also include bodyweight squats, KB swings and bike riding.
View Quote

It really depends on volume, intensity and your ability to recover.

SS calls for deads 3 times a week for beginners.  Once it has built up sufficiently, starts alternating with power cleans.  Then finally rotating between deads, back extensions and power cleans.

I would suggest some weighted squatting in there as well as rows (and chins/pull ups) to avoid imbalances.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

SS calls for deads 3 times a week for beginners.  Once it has built up sufficiently, starts alternating with power cleans.  Then finally rotating between deads, back extensions and power cleans.

I would suggest some weighted squatting in there as well as rows (and chins/pull ups) to avoid imbalances.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SS is 3x / 2 weeks. You squat 3x / week on SS.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out Practical Programming frayed and reread SS.

EDIT to not sound like a complete asshole and splitting hairs.  Yes, squatting 3 times weekly and 3x/2 weeks for deads is the program after the intital push on the deadlift.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm deadlifting once a week. One week is easy, the next week is a max effort.

You people DLing 3x a week are craycray.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

EDIT to not sound like a complete asshole and splitting hairs.  Yes, squatting 3 times weekly and 3x/2 weeks for deads is the program after the intital push on the deadlift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct. My version of SS is as I stated, however, PP is 3x a week at first. Google tells me that the latest ed of SS now aligns with PP. Interesting. Rip shouldn't be allowed to change his mind.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:51:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I plan to start at 145 (the minimum I can put on the bar and have it at correct height with metal plates) and slowly increase from there.  Given that I'm 400 lbs and just shy of 6 foot, I expect this to be a really easy weight.  However, I have some orthopedic issues (that may preclude squatting with heavy weight) so I will start really easy and just add 5-10 lbs per workout and see how it goes.  

I continue the battle to change my eating habits for the better (Primal/Paleo is the goal) but that is by far the hardest part for me.   Hopefully some regular exercise will give me a little boost of motivation.  At least that is how it's worked in the past.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:48:14 AM EDT
[#11]
You could try Power to the People.  Low volume, high frequency strength program from a book by Pavel T.

Summary:

Tonight I read Power to the People and thought I'd make a summary. The salesmanship does help sell the idea of the program but boiled down there isn't much "what do I actually do?" information. Anything critical that I missed?

Power to the People Program (strength not size)

Workout five days per week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Every workout is the same. Workouts take about 25 minutes.

A deadlift variant
today's work weight x 5 reps
90% of today's work weight x 5 reps

A press variant
today's work weight x 5 reps
90% of today's work weight x 5 reps
•Do not attempt a rep if there is any chance you might fail!
• Standard mixed grip deadlift (alternate grip each set) is suggested but other variants are also mentioned and explained
• Side press is suggested (which must mean doing it on both sides) but other presses are also mentioned and explained
•3-5 seconds up for deadlift and press
•drop weight to floor for deadlift
•3-5 seconds down for press
•3-5 minutes rest between sets
•You can swap the order and do the press before the deadlift if you want to.
•Use chalk. No belt. No straps. No shoes (deadlift slippers ok if your gym requires shoes)
•No pre-workout stretching or warm-up sets. If you must then just do a couple lighter sets with two or three reps just to get into the groove. I haven't read the power stretching chapter thoroughly.

Cycling
•Effective cycles are 8-16 workouts.
•Deadlift and press cycles can be independent.
•Start a cycle with 70-80% of your 5RM or a weight you can comfortably do 10 reps.
•You can increase the weights in a linear, flexible wave, structured wave, or step pattern during the cycle. Linear is +5 pounds per workout. Flexible wave is +5 pounds per workout and decrease weight when feeling tired and then work upwards again. Structured wave is +5 pounds per workout for four workouts and then -15 pounds and then work upwards again. Step pattern is +5 pounds then same weight for a one or several more workouts followed by another increase.
View Quote

From here:

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=19799
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#12]
3 times per week?  That would burn me out quick, not to mention, it would cause me to exclude other exercises due to lack of time.  (I limit my workouts to a max of 1 hour, warm up time excluded)   My resistance training is a mixture of 5/3/1 and kettlebell circuits, so I do Mil Press, Squat, Bench, Deadlift 1 day per week, each.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm deadlifting once a week. One week is easy, the next week is a max effort.

You people DLing 3x a week are craycray.
View Quote

I just don't have the time. BP, SQ, DL once a week.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Full deadlifts from the floor once/wk.

Partials (rack, Rdl, position drilling, etc) another 1-2 times /wk as accessory
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Now I deadlift every other workout...so once one week, twice the next.

I used to deadlift 3x a week on a pyramid 12/10/8/6...but that was before I did squats
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Full once a week, with power shrugs and/or RDLs on other days. Ever since I started training with a lot of heavy singles and doubles, lots of rest is needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top