Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 10:01:56 AM EDT
A little background on me. Been lifting heavy for quite some time now (low reps, high sets, long rests). My past goals were simply to be able to generate as much power a possible.

Now that I am a bit older and wiser my goals have changed a bit. I would like to keep the strength I worked so hard for by now I would like to increase my conditioning as well as shed some bodyfat. I have added some running back into the mix. Lengths range from 1.5 miles to 6 per run. Try to run 3 days a week currently.

Looking to start a new routine and change things up. Do any of you guys have any routines you had good success with? I work out 5 days a week and have about 2.5 hours a day to spend in a gym.

Any recommendations would be great.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
This is one of those times when basic 5/3/1 (for strength) and well programmed Crossfit would be a pretty great match for your goals.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is one of those times when basic 5/3/1 (for strength) and well programmed Crossfit would be a pretty great match for your goals.
View Quote

I was going to say the same thing but then had to really re examine if 5/3/1 is the answer to everything.  I've come to the conclusion that it is.  

Not to steal Thunder's post, but maybe something like Crossfit for Football might work.  Now I must go give myself 50 lashes for saying that.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Scott Sonnon has a variety of programs, some under the title of 'TacFit'.  One of them may be just what you want for some variety.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Outlaw Crossfit is another option. Wendler does have a 5/3/1-CF hybrid program.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep

ETA- one of the reasons I love 5/3/1 and I think it IS the right answer so much of the time is because it's so versatile. You want to just get strong as fuck, there are variations for that with accessory work + joker sets + BBB + FSL et al. You want more conditioning/crossfit? Just do the basic 5/3/1 (which really isn't THAT taxing all by itself) and some smartly programmed CF and you're all set.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep

ETA- one of the reasons I love 5/3/1 and I think it IS the right answer so much of the time is because it's so versatile. You want to just get strong as fuck, there are variations for that with accessory work + joker sets + BBB + FSL et al. You want more conditioning/crossfit? Just do the basic 5/3/1 (which really isn't THAT taxing all by itself) and some smartly programmed CF and you're all set.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep

Church
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I will try the 5/3/1 BBB routine and add some HITT cardio or CF stuff for conditioning.

I tried looking on BB.com and came up empty. Do any of you guys have a 531 BBB template?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think I will try the 5/3/1 BBB routine and add some HITT cardio or CF stuff for conditioning.

I tried looking on BB.com and came up empty. Do any of you guys have a 531 BBB template?
View Quote

Shoot me an IM with your email.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Do what RoG said.

Here's some online stuff that he's written.

T-Nation Boring But Big 3 Month Challenge

Wendler's Blog

If you google "5/3/1 Boring But Big" or "5/3/1 BBB" you'll get a lot of hits.  Just be wary of anything that Wendler didn't write.  That's people...like us...telling you what we did but may not be what he wrote.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Google "black iron beast" they have all the templetes in there and it will calculate all your weights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top