Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 1:12:42 PM EDT
I've been taking kickboxing since October, an usually go 5-6 times a week. I'm going to start taking the jujitsu classes tonight. What should I expect? I wrestled in high school, and it seems like some of the fundamentals are the same. Is it more strenuous than kickboxing?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
expect puke.

15.99x more taxing than kickboxing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Just go in with an open mind, leave your ego at the door and have fun.  expect a few ass kickins.  from my experience (back when i was doing BJJ 5-6 days a week) wrestlers had great takedown and top control, but big trouble off the gates with posture in the guard and giving up their backs when put on the bottom.  both things that served them well in wrestling but not so much in BJJ.  Top control helps but bad posture (head down, trying to pin a guy that has you in his guard) will get you swept, choked, and arm barred, faster than you'll know how to react at first...not to mention you'll give up your back pretty quick that way as well.  

Some of those guys turned out great due to their strengths (conditioning, takedowns, top control) once they broke their bad habits and learned to handle submission game.  Like i said, just have fun and learn.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I survived. It was more of a workout than kickboxing, but not to bad. We worked on take downs and some ankle lock submissions. The biggest problem was class ended at 9:45 at night and I have to get up at 4:30 am to go to work. It's kinda hard to fall asleep when you get home all jacked up
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]
You were doing ankle locks on the first day?

Did you get to do any free rolling at the end of class?  If so, who did they pair you up with?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you get to do any free rolling at the end of class?  If so, who did they pair you up with?
View Quote

The class is taught in modules, and this module started a few weeks ago. I just had to join in where ever they were. The class has a few beginners who have been there for a few weeks, to people who have been in it for years. The first half of the class was shooting drills and take downs, and the last half was groundwork. It's at the same place I do kickboxing, so I'm not worried. Thursday nights is free rolling night, so I'll let you know tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The class is taught in modules, and this module started a few weeks ago. I just had to join in where ever they were. The class has a few beginners who have been there for a few weeks, to people who have been in it for years. The first half of the class was shooting drills and take downs, and the last half was groundwork. It's at the same place I do kickboxing, so I'm not worried. Thursday nights is free rolling night, so I'll let you know tomorrow.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also made an assumption.  Is it JuiJitsu or Brazilian JuiJitsu?

With BJJ, we started with everything from the guard.  Posture from on-top, to passing and control from bottom to sweeps.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

With BJJ, we started with everything from the guard.  Posture from on-top, to passing and control from bottom to sweeps.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea, what is the difference? It just called JuiJitsu class. All the groundwork was started from guard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have no idea, what is the difference? It just called JuiJitsu class. All the groundwork was started from guard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the part where I start the internet martial art war... ...there are probably a few reading who are by far more experienced.

Etymology...maybe semantics...more likely what the class focuses on teaching.  Then you get into what you were taught at your specific class, where n=1.  

The short answer is probably not a lot.  Honestly, what threw me was when you said you started with ankle locks.  We weren't allowed to even attempt an ankle lock...unless your opponent did something stupid...until about blue belt.  We would get too many new guys that would get swept by another new guy out of guard and then the only thing they could grab was an ankle or leg so they would start "cranking" on it trying desperately to get a submission.  I think what they were trying to avoid is that at best it makes you into a poor guard passer and at worst gets someone hurt when you finally get the ankle lock right.

Also, we focused very heavily on getting into guard as a way to control the fight.  Whether it was a scramble from a failed takedown, bad sweep from bottom or good pass from top man.  We didn't do a whole lot of takedown drills and then it was generally focused on stuffing the takedown to get control and get into guard.

So basically...your statement about starting with ankle locks, then saying you did a lot of takedown drills.

You're still one day better than you were yesterday.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This is the part where I start the internet martial art war... ...there are probably a few reading who are by far more experienced.

Etymology...maybe semantics...more likely what the class focuses on teaching.  Then you get into what you were taught at your specific class, where n=1.  

The short answer is probably not a lot.  Honestly, what threw me was when you said you started with ankle locks.  We weren't allowed to even attempt an ankle lock...unless your opponent did something stupid...until about blue belt.  We would get too many new guys that would get swept by another new guy out of guard and then the only thing they could grab was an ankle or leg so they would start "cranking" on it trying desperately to get a submission.  I think what they were trying to avoid is that at best it makes you into a poor guard passer and at worst gets someone hurt when you finally get the ankle lock right.

Also, we focused very heavily on getting into guard as a way to control the fight.  Whether it was a scramble from a failed takedown, bad sweep from bottom or good pass from top man.  We didn't do a whole lot of takedown drills and then it was generally focused on stuffing the takedown to get control and get into guard.

So basically...your statement about starting with ankle locks, then saying you did a lot of takedown drills.

You're still one day better than you were yesterday.  

View Quote

Our sensi said that most schools don't teach the ankle locks he was teaching unless you are a really high ranked. Something about that it can cause a spiral fracture in your leg? We learned 2, one from mount and one from guard. Sorry I'm not much help with detailed info, it was my first class.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
You're good bro.  

I hope you enjoyed it and continue to go.

It's on my very short list of activities that I want to get back into.  I didn't have time with travelling and and then having a kid.  Momma wasn't going to be happy when I got home on Thursday night and then said I was going to the gym on Saturday and Sunday for class.

I'm working to get my little one into it so maybe I can have her doing that as an activity.  Sometimes when we play fight I'll "show her" how to hook my leg and let her roll me so she's in mount and then "tickle" me.

Those quotes just made all that sound super creepy.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Main thing is to relax and try to feel the moves.  BJJ is a technical art, it takes time.  Never bring ego to the mat, tap early and tap often.  Don't get frustrated if you can't master the move or technique taught.  What doesn't work for you one class may very well click the next time you see that lesson plan. Be patient.  Most importantly, have fun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Japanese jujutsu was a used as a defense against an armed attacker (there are/where thousands of ryu's).  The sport of Judo spun out of jujutsu.  Brazilian jiujitsu came out of Kodakan Judo.

In my experience BJJ is primarily grappling, very little ukemi unless the instructor has a background in Judo.  Japanese jujutsu incorporates more striking, throws and grappling.

Have fun with it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#13]
If it's Japanese Jiu Jitsu then you can expect it to really change the way you look at things.  As a wrestler, you probably have a problem with turning your back to an opponent.  In jiu jitsu it's a common thing.  You'll probably also be surprised to learn how little effort it takes to really hammer someone.  

The physical conditioning can be brutal.  I don't think they'll ever get my legs where they think they should be.  And after a certain point the dislocated fingers, the sore joints, and the overall level of pain becomes routine.  You'll be able to endure pain in a whole different way after a year or two of it.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If it's Japanese Jiu Jitsu then you can expect it to really change the way you look at things.  As a wrestler, you probably have a problem with turning your back to an opponent.  In jiu jitsu it's a common thing.  You'll probably also be surprised to learn how little effort it takes to really hammer someone.  

View Quote

I haven't wrestled in almost 20 yrs (since high school), so I don't remember to much of it. Second class is tonight, and I'm just starting to get soar from Tuesday nights class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top