Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2014 1:35:39 PM EDT
Been playing ball on my lunch break for the past 6 months and still haven't been able to get my vertical back.

What is the best way to increase your vertical and quicken up my sprint?

I have been doing squats and lunges but i have been doing them slowler and controlling the reps.

Fwiw I am 6'2" 34 yrs old who is a desk jockey now.  I am struggling to gain back some ability. I can't even come close to dunking any more and my hang time has gone away.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Wall sits.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Olympic lifters have some of the highest verticals in sports- including NBA and NFL players.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wall sits.
View Quote

How is a static hold going to help build power? (the literal definition of power)
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Find a point in your house that you can barely reach jumping... Jump to it every day a lot. Not at once but all day throughout the day. Once you can touch it try putting your entire hand on it then both. After that move to another point. It worked for me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Olympic lifters have some of the highest verticals in sports- including NBA and NFL players.
View Quote

Yup.

Since you're already squating and pulling look into an olympic routine.  Or try incorporate some assistance work like:

http://www.allthingsgym.com/mohamed-ehab-weighted-barbell-box-jumps/

http://www.allthingsgym.com/weighted-barbell-squat-jumps/

http://www.allthingsgym.com/explosive-lunge-box-jump/
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Work on your flexibility until you can squat with a full ROM, and then do it that way. Keep the descent slow if you like, but make the ascent as fast as you can keep controlled, good form. Ass-to-grass Olympic squats have been shown to correlate much more strongly to vertical leap than Powerlifting style squats or Olympic squats only to parallel.

Power cleans are also good (as well as the Olympic lifts, but don't mess with them unless you're willing to get some coaching).
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Jump high and sprint faster - lose weight
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jump high and sprint faster - lose weight
View Quote

I need the height on my jump and speed in sprin.

Only way about 190. Could maybe loose ten pounds but nit more than that.  Pretty lean and skinny
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Look at that timing, article just came out today.

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2014/04/18/8-keys-higher-vertical-jump/

EDIT:  Just a long winded way to state the obvious with some scientific backup and zero direct guidance on programing.  Also know as TL/DR.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Power Cleans.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Back in the day I built my best vertical leap by sprinting bleachers (the seats, not the steps) at the local football stadium.   Sprint up, walk down, and repeat until dead tired.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Box jumps.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Box jumps, cleans (hang power, hang squat, full power and full squat), Snatches (Full power and full squat),  squat jumps, pistols, ect.  Also, push jerks and clean and jerks.

On the oly, Keep the reps low (1-3 reps/set) and the weights heavy once you get the form down (80-90%).

Explosive squats (50% 1rm) go for speed on the recovery, weighted jump squats (30% 1rm squat).  Also consider the use of chains and bands in your squatting and deadlifting.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Your vertical jump potential is achieved through a delicate balance of body weight, absolute strength, explosiveness and genetics. Develop your squat and maximize your strength without putting on a lot of excess weight. Train explosiveness through plyometrics. Plyos only get you so far. Add in dynamic squats and deads, coupled with heavy Oly lifts. Unfortunately, you cannot do anything about your genetics at this time.

Obviously, if you're a SHW, then even a 1000 lb squat won't get you a 40" vertical (at least I don't think so). Go after the "easy" squat strength you can get through novice, then intermediate training.

In the interest of full disclosure, I pulled this out of my ass based on my training and understanding of how the body works. I do not train for vert; however, I am 90 lbs heavier than I was in HS, much stronger and can still grab rim. Yeah, the highest I could ever jump was the rim and I was a DB in football.

I think we need to add box jumps for height to powerlifting meets after deadlifts.

Quoted:
Box jumps, cleans (hang power, hang squat, full power and full squat), Snatches (Full power and full squat),  squat jumps, pistols, ect.  Also, push jerks and clean and jerks.

On the oly, Keep the reps low (1-3 reps/set) and the weights heavy once you get the form down (80-90%).

Explosive squats (50% 1rm) go for speed on the recovery, weighted jump squats (30% 1rm squat).  Also consider the use of chains and bands in your squatting and deadlifting.

View Quote

I'm curious as to how loading the top of the movement develops the strength needed for jumping...? Chains and bands look cool and sexy....plus...WESTSIDE BABY! Are they particularly useful to a raw lifter seeking to increase his vert?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the advice guys.

Going to add in thr plyos and focus on explossiveness when lifting.

Unfortunately i am more slow twitch muscle fiber than anything. Always could go the long distance stuff.

Need to get a jump rope also
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top