Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2014 6:59:54 AM EDT
Link to January's challenge!

February link

March Link

It's back to square one for me gentlemen.  For the past two weeks I've been on a see food diet and it really shows!  So my goal for April is get my diet back in tiptop shape, to exercise 4 times (minimum) a week and to lose 6 pounds.

Good luck everyone!

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#1]

guess I am in.

around 291 now. was above 305 in January...and I broke my scale today...or it died of old age due to being made in china, not sure which. my goal is just to loose weight, and chew bubble gum.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

guess I am in.

View Quote

around 291 now. was above 305 in January...and I broke my scale today...or it died of old age due to being made in china, not sure which. my goal is just to loose weight, and chew bubble gum.

Welcome aboard, I'll post in my first post everyone's goals for the month.  I need a before picture of you.  Please post it directly in the thread (so I don't have to figure out how to host it) and let's talk about your April goal (we take this one month at a time.)

How much weight do you want to lose in April?

How are you going to do it?

What can we do to support/motivate you?

Patty

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#3]
In.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
In at 278.  It feels as though I'm adding muscle at a faster rate, due to being in the range where lifts are pretty strenuous now, so weight measurements are likely to be a bit skewed for a bit.

Got better at the 130 pound try for OHP yesterday, still missed reps on sets 3-5.  If I make 5x5 on Friday, I step up to the next (135), if not, I deload by 10%.  It'll be interesting to see what happens, either way.

Squat's at 270, going to be 275 on Wednesday.  A good weight, and I've made a hell of a lot of progress...but I was lifting next to a dude who worked up to 500, and was doing sets of 5...well, up to five.  He did three sets (with a LOT of recovery time between them), but only got 3 reps on set 4.  Still crazy strong.

Hit 315 on deadlift, one set of five.  It'll be interesting, also, to see if things feel easier, if some of the strain was psychological in reaching that 45 pound plate increment.  I may be lowering the bump in weight from 10 pounds per session to 5, but I'd like to hold off on that until I start missing squat reps, if possible, to keep DL weight higher than squat weight, as it should be.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In at 278.  It feels as though I'm adding muscle at a faster rate, due to being in the range where lifts are pretty strenuous now, so weight measurements are likely to be a bit skewed for a bit.

Got better at the 130 pound try for OHP yesterday, still missed reps on sets 3-5.  If I make 5x5 on Friday, I step up to the next (135), if not, I deload by 10%.  It'll be interesting to see what happens, either way.

Squat's at 270, going to be 275 on Wednesday.  A good weight, and I've made a hell of a lot of progress...but I was lifting next to a dude who worked up to 500, and was doing sets of 5...well, up to five.  He did three sets (with a LOT of recovery time between them), but only got 3 reps on set 4.  Still crazy strong.

Hit 315 on deadlift, one set of five.  It'll be interesting, also, to see if things feel easier, if some of the strain was psychological in reaching that 45 pound plate increment.  I may be lowering the bump in weight from 10 pounds per session to 5, but I'd like to hold off on that until I start missing squat reps, if possible, to keep DL weight higher than squat weight, as it should be.
View Quote

120 on the OHP killed me today...crazy how quickly that lift stalls out compared to the others...
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
120 on the OHP killed me today...crazy how quickly that lift stalls out compared to the others...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I think 120 was my first stall/missed reps on OHP.  It took two tries to get 120, two tries to get 125, I'll be going for my third try on 130 on Friday.  OHP is a bitch.

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
In! I weighed in this morning at 238.3 lbs.  The lowest I have been in the last 10 years is 236, so if I could get back down to there, I'd feel accomplished. We just stared a new diet and I am working out quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry fellas if I've let you down this month!  I want everyone to check in by this week please!

I've got good news, I've got my diet down pat, starting to feel fairly well (since doing a carb detox again!) and it seems I'm losing weight

I've ran 3 times this week (I started on Sunday) and plan to again today.

I found this chart and thought I would share it.  I think sometimes simple goals like 2 lbs a week makes things more attainable.

I weighed a week ago Friday at the doctor's office (ugh!) I was embarrassed so I didn't share.  I weighed 178 pounds.  But I weighed this morning at the doctor's office and I was 168  God only knows what or why there was such a big change but as long as it didn't get bigger I am happy.  And btw I don't have breast cancer (we were really worried and for those who know I am a 2 time breast cancer survivor can sigh relief with me)

My goal is 2 pounds a week and since my ideal weight is 155 I should reach my goal by May 14.  See that's not too bad!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NutQ3FGxBZTnVfRkhmQ1NIOHc/edit?usp=sharing

Take a look at  this chart and see if it helps you keep things in perspective!

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm just here for motivation.

OHP 100# for the first time.  Shot craps on it....5 reps, 1 rep, 4 reps, 3 reps, 3 reps.

Squat felt much better.  Finally getting back into a groove.  Going for 180# which gets me back to where I was when I was lifting on a regular basis.

Deadlift was light at 225#.  I am doing touch and goes to warm up and resetting on my work set.  I pulled it off the floor like I was going to throw it through the ceiling.

Next week should get me back to 3 days a week lifting and a couple days of running.

I am really excited about closing in on 200# for my squat.  Getting the second plate on the deadlift yesterday felt good.

This weekend I get to work on the accessory muscles....three days of fishing, balancing on one foot running the trolling motor while casting.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OHP 100# for the first time.  Shot craps on it....5 reps, 1 rep, 4 reps, 3 reps, 3 reps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

too short of a rest between set 1 and 2? OHP has become my biggest challenge too...no shame in repeating a weight.

I am really excited about closing in on 200# for my squat.  Getting the second plate on the deadlift yesterday felt good.

I hit that magic 200# squat last week...and today I hit 215# which puts me at bodyweight!

Anytime you get that second plate on the bar for anything is awesome...makes you feel like you're getting up there with the big dogs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#11]
too short of a rest between set 1 and 2? OHP has become my biggest challenge too...no shame in repeating a weight.
View Quote

Guilty as charged.  OHP is the one lift I can't tell how long I need to rest.  Every other lift I can feel it, but OHP I feel good and them BAM!  Bar won't move.  I set a timer for sets 3-5 and it was better.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I hit that magic 200# squat last week...and today I hit 215# which puts me at bodyweight!

Anytime you get that second plate on the bar for anything is awesome...makes you feel like you're getting up there with the big dogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 plates is 225.

I know I tried to bench that today. Couldn't get it but I got 215. I was still pretty happy about that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Lessons from last night...

I hate leg press machine.  It's not natural.

I need to work on setting up on the bench.  How do you keep your shoulders back and chest up?  When I get to the top of a rep it feels like the slip out from under me a little.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lessons from last night...

I hate leg press machine.  It's not natural.

I need to work on setting up on the bench.  How do you keep your shoulders back and chest up?  When I get to the top of a rep it feels like the slip out from under me a little.
View Quote

Arch your back and take a deep breath. Push with your hips. Keep everything tight.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

2 plates is 225.

I know I tried to bench that today. Couldn't get it but I got 215. I was still pretty happy about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 plates is 225.

Yes, if the bar is 45lbs.  The bars in my gym are not oly's...I weight one at 27.8lbs on the gym's scale, so I call it 25lbs for my weight calculations.  2 plates for me is 205.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Arch your back and take a deep breath. Push with your hips. Keep everything tight.
View Quote

I think I am getting it.  Hips on the bench pushing down and that helps the arch and puts the shoulders on the bench.  Am I feeling it right?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think I am getting it.  Hips on the bench pushing down and that helps the arch and puts the shoulders on the bench.  Am I feeling it right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, you push with your hips to push your belly up in the air so your back will be arched and resting on your shoulder blades. Chest should be puffed up so the bar lands on it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes, if the bar is 45lbs.  The bars in my gym are not oly's...I weight one at 27.8lbs on the gym's scale, so I call it 25lbs for my weight calculations.  2 plates for me is 205.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 plates is 225.

OK,  I had a bar like that too, It made me angry.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OK,  I had a bar like that too, It made me angry.  
View Quote

Yeah...makes me consider finding a new gym when the lifts get super heavy.  But the convenience of a gym 5 minutes from my house (and firehouse) is hard to beat.  For now, it works.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Last night was horrible.  Three days of fishing took it's toll on me.

The first set of squats at 180# were great.  After that my shoulders and back just refused to cooperate.  I couldn't get my shoulders back and back tight and the bar would not set where it should.  I struggled through 3 reps in the second set and the bar kept moving so I racked it.  I tried to set up for one more set and nothing worked, I just could not get the bar to set on my shoulders at all.

Bench was good.  115# which isn't huge, but I have never been big into upper body stuff.

Rows have to wait, just felt like crap by the time I was done with bench.

One day does not make or brake things though.  Training is long term so I'll shake it off today, go do some crossfit tomorrow and get back under the bar later in the week.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Last night was horrible.  Three days of fishing took it's toll on me.

The first set of squats at 180# were great.  After that my shoulders and back just refused to cooperate.  I couldn't get my shoulders back and back tight and the bar would not set where it should.  I struggled through 3 reps in the second set and the bar kept moving so I racked it.  I tried to set up for one more set and nothing worked, I just could not get the bar to set on my shoulders at all.

Bench was good.  115# which isn't huge, but I have never been big into upper body stuff.

Rows have to wait, just felt like crap by the time I was done with bench.

One day does not make or brake things though.  Training is long term so I'll shake it off today, go do some crossfit tomorrow and get back under the bar later in the week.
View Quote

I had the same kind of day yesterday. Sometimes it just works out that way. Shake it off and move on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Wednesday I did a body weight type class with the wife.  She liked it, me not so much.  At least I was moving around a bit.

Crossfit tomorrow morning and then hopefully a normal week next week.

I believe the shoulder dislocations I did the other night messed up my squats.  I have been trying to improve shoulder flexibility, but I believe it just wore my shoulders out to the point I couldn't get them tight.  Going to test my theory Monday and see what happens with squats.  If things are still jacked up I am going to get some video to post and see if someone can help me sort things out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Anybody losing weight? 193# For me this morning. Slow but sure. DL 315# last night for a new personal record.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody losing weight?
View Quote

Nope.  Starting to add a day of crossfit/cardio/HIIT into my week though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Squats are still going great, I hit 310 for 5x5 today.  It's a strong effort, but I'm dead cert that I'll make 315 5x5 on Monday, and I do so love putting another full 45 pound plate on the bar...

BUT...I did hit my wall on deadlifts today.  Grip was slipping, so after the third rep, I paused just for an instant to tighten up, and that was enough, I couldn't get the bar off the ground again, so I called it.  I'll be retrying 355 on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Last night was the suck.  I am working on my shoulder mobility for squats.  My shoulders smoke out after the first set, I just can't get them back and tight after that.  I have plenty left in my legs, but the shoulders just won't cooperate.  Very disappointing.  One more shot and then I'll deload and see if I can climb back up.

OHP is getting better.  Had to do power cleans to get the bar up.  Still missed some reps, but much better than last time.

Deadlifts....ran out of time and energy.  I got through warm ups, but the working set would not pop off the floor.  I was gassed.

Working in a little cardio to mix things up.  Come May I'll re evaluate my goals and determine the best way to get there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Last night was the suck.  I am working on my shoulder mobility for squats.  My shoulders smoke out after the first set, I just can't get them back and tight after that.  I have plenty left in my legs, but the shoulders just won't cooperate.  Very disappointing.  One more shot and then I'll deload and see if I can climb back up.

OHP is getting better.  Had to do power cleans to get the bar up.  Still missed some reps, but much better than last time.

Deadlifts....ran out of time and energy.  I got through warm ups, but the working set would not pop off the floor.  I was gassed.

Working in a little cardio to mix things up.  Come May I'll re evaluate my goals and determine the best way to get there.
View Quote
I don't remotely have the shoulder mobility to do low-bar squats.  I'm working on it with shoulder dislocations, but I don't seem to be doing too bad with the high bar, I hit my 5x5 at 315 yesterday.

Missed my final rep with bench, though.  That sucked, but I take it in stride, I knew it was coming.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm working on it with shoulder dislocations, but I don't seem to be doing too bad with the high bar, I hit my 5x5 at 315 yesterday.
View Quote

I looked at my work outs and I need to deload and build back.  Hopefully the shoulders will work themselves out as I add weight back.  I like the low bar and this is the first time I have ran into a wall.

Everything else is moving pretty good.

The rest of the week will be more cardio.  I am going to the chiro to put some stuff back where it belongs and the cardio really helps get things feeling better fast.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Hope to get back in on this again. This endocrinologist I am seeing is the worst I have ever been to. She has all my hormone levels so screwed up. There are some days it is hard to even get out of bed. Going to see a new doc June 6th.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I felt a bit pussy deloading my squat, but it was the right thing to do.  I found I was collapsing my chest on squats and losing tightness in the back which.  I opened my chest up and boom instant shelf for the bar.  Also needed to push the knees out better.

I need to rethink my goals.  I enjoy lifting, but want to be leaner.  I know diet will go a long way so I'll work with the wife to improve our menus.  I would like to find a program that pulls in more cardio.  Maybe 2 days of lifting and 2 days of cardio.  Anyone have a suggestion?

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Down 2.2# for April. Within spitting distance of being below 190#.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top