Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:07:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One of my biggest concerns is Omega 3/Omega 6 balance so I'm mostly eating lean meats like chicken.  I alway add a significant portion of fat with my tenders, such as avocado or olives.  

I've heard of the bullion thing so I'll run to the store and try that.  I've been drinking V8 juice and it helps but I'm not sure it will be enough.  

I'm not counting carbs at this point, just monitoring my status with ketone strips.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going to jump in on this one.  

First, do any of you start to suffer from cramps when you go low-carb?  How do you deal with it.  It happens to me every time I try this and I'm talking not just the usual charley horses and hamstring cramps, but I get cramps in my back muscles and along my ribcage muscles if I twist or stretch just wrong.

commonly called Keto flu.    When you start feeling crappy, take a bouillon cube and heat up some water and make some broth.  drink it
you'll feel better within 20 minutes.

I started on Tuesday at a weight of 397 lbs on a 5'11" frame.  I went to the doctor so bloodwork numbers should start rolling in over the next couple of days.   I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  

So far, my staples have been chicken tenders seasoned with EVOO, salt & pepper and grilled on a George Foreman grill.
Avocados
Big Ass Salads (thank you Mark Sisson)
Greek yogurt
sardines in EVOO

I'll start branching out when I get tired of those foods being the bulk of my meals.

fuck chicken breasts.
Keto is high fat, medium protein, extremely low carbs.  
Pork, beef, pork, chicken thighs, whatever that has some fat (i.e. flavor) in it.

I have bacon and eggs damn near every day for breakfast.  

also, watch the greek yogurt, even plain greek yogurt has 6 carbs a serving in it.   Out of 20g a day, that's a lot.

One of my biggest concerns is Omega 3/Omega 6 balance so I'm mostly eating lean meats like chicken.  I alway add a significant portion of fat with my tenders, such as avocado or olives.  

I've heard of the bullion thing so I'll run to the store and try that.  I've been drinking V8 juice and it helps but I'm not sure it will be enough.  

I'm not counting carbs at this point, just monitoring my status with ketone strips.  

IF you want to do Keto, you have to count carbs
If you keep track of your carbs, everything else will fall into place.
V8 is full of carbs.  
I don't think you know what Keto is.

Start here:  Keto in a nutshell

then go here:  Keto FAQ

What you are doing is a diet and all diets work.  But what you aren't doing is Keto.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Oh and tonights snack.  This stuff is awesome!!!!
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/tnriverluver/yum_zpsec42cea0.jpg

View Quote

This looks very tasty.  Did I miss where you posted a recipe?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is posted back on page one of this thread as "pizza to die for"  and it is very very good.  Just add your favorite toppings as desired.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It is posted back on page one of this thread as "pizza to die for"  and it is very very good.  Just add your favorite toppings as desired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I found it!!  Definately going to pick up the ingredients to make that when I go back to the store in a few days.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks, I found it!!  Definately going to pick up the ingredients to make that when I go back to the store in a few days.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bake it at 425 instead of their listed temp!
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got the crust baked and cooling right now.  I'll admit, as I was mixting the crust I was skeptical but now that it's baked and I can see the consistency, I'm pretty certain I'm going to enjoy this!!  I'm going simple on this first one with pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese.  

I splurged yesterday and got a double-cheeseburger from Braums and tossed the bun in the trash.  I ate at least 2200 calories worth of cream cheese and bacon in the form of jalapeno poppers.  Blood sugar before bed was 100 and morning fasting Blood sugar was in the mid-80's.   Urine is showing large concentrations of ketones on a fully consistent basis.  

ETA:  the crust totally stuck to the paper.  :(    I was able to seperate about 2/3 of it and it's baking in the oven right now.  Can't wait to try it!

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've got the crust baked and cooling right now.  I'll admit, as I was mixting the crust I was skeptical but now that it's baked and I can see the consistency, I'm pretty certain I'm going to enjoy this!!  I'm going simple on this first one with pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese.  

I splurged yesterday and got a double-cheeseburger from Braums and tossed the bun in the trash.  I ate at least 2200 calories worth of cream cheese and bacon in the form of jalapeno poppers.  Blood sugar before bed was 100 and morning fasting Blood sugar was in the mid-80's.   Urine is showing large concentrations of ketones on a fully consistent basis.  

ETA:  the crust totally stuck to the paper.  :(    I was able to seperate about 2/3 of it and it's baking in the oven right now.  Can't wait to try it!

View Quote

I don't cool it, i just take it out of the oven, load it up with toppings and put it back in for 15-18 minutes til the cheese (on top) is all bubbly
then I'll take it out and let it cool a minute or two before I cut it.

You have to use parchment paper, nothing else works, but it works great
the oil releases from the cheese in the crust and it doesn't stick.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't cool it, i just take it out of the oven, load it up with toppings and put it back in for 15-18 minutes til the cheese (on top) is all bubbly

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only let mine cool just enough to handle the paper and that also lets the crust firm just slightly.  Mine has never stuck to the paper and I just slide it off into the now greased dish or flip over into the dish.  I do not grease the dish while cooking in the paper as the recipe says but wait until I am putting the baked crust in.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I only let mine cool just enough to handle the paper and that also lets the crust firm just slightly.  Mine has never stuck to the paper and I just slide it off into the now greased dish or flip over into the dish.  I do not grease the dish while cooking in the paper as the recipe says but wait until I am putting the baked crust in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't take it off the paper until I"m eating it
I make the crust, then make the pizza, never removing it from the paper
slices just fine and slides right off the paper
and one less dish that's dirty.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I just found a new reason to go fish more as if I already needed one  My wife and I love to eat baked Parmesan Fish and I just modified the recipe by leaving out the bread crumbs for a delicious carb free meal that still taste the same.  Add salt and pepper and whatever else you like to this dish.  It is fantastic.  Originally stolen from Crappie.com

Baked Parmesan Crappie (this works great with most fish including bass, bream, talapia, stripes, flounder, etc as long as it is a thinner type of fillet.)

Ingredients

1 or 2 eggs
¾ cup Panko Italian or any bread crumbs ( Leave out for Keto. Taste the same)
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon ground dried thyme
Fish filets
¼ cup melted butter

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees

2. In a small bowl prepare an egg wash. In a separate bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and thyme. Dip the filets in the egg wash and then press into the crumb mixture to coat. Place filets in a glass baking dish, and drizzle with melted butter.  Sticks to dish somewhat without the bread crumbs.

3. Bake on the top rack of the preheated oven until the fish flakes easily, about 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not doing a strict Keto diet but have cut out all wheat, bread, grains, etc.  Mainly just eating meats, eggs and cheeses right now and I am able to tighten my belt 2 more notches even though I am still drinking cokes and eating a fair amount of sugar.  I have never gone into Keto and probably won't.  Just getting rid of the other carbs has made a world of difference in my digestive system (for the better).  This will probably be a lifetime menu for me now.  I have never been a believer  in the gluten problems but am about to change my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am already down 9 lbs in just over a week (196-187)of getting back on this diet.  I haven't even been real strict yet as I still drink a couple of cokes a day.  The major improvement is in my bowels.  I am no longer cramping all day and for the last 4 days have absolutely felt great for the first time in a very long time.  Being a meat and salad lover this diet is pretty easy for me to stick with and it looks like I may have to do this the rest of my life now with just an occasional cheat.  The only problem I am having is not sleeping well for some reason and having to get up and pee at least twice during the night, neither of which was happening before starting this diet.  All the new Keto recipe sites make doing this much easier than in past years with all the added variety of tasty meals now available

Your body is chowing on glycogen stored in the muscles. Glycogen is mostly water. I dropped out of ketosis sunday when I went off the wagon and ate pizza. Last night I ran out of blood sugar again and the glycogen started getting used. I missed 4 times last night. I was up 5 lbs due  to water retention. Down almost 4 lbs right now.

I'm not doing a strict Keto diet but have cut out all wheat, bread, grains, etc.  Mainly just eating meats, eggs and cheeses right now and I am able to tighten my belt 2 more notches even though I am still drinking cokes and eating a fair amount of sugar.  I have never gone into Keto and probably won't.  Just getting rid of the other carbs has made a world of difference in my digestive system (for the better).  This will probably be a lifetime menu for me now.  I have never been a believer  in the gluten problems but am about to change my mind.

Quit drinking the cokes. You'll drop weight like crazy.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am already down 9 lbs in just over a week (196-187)of getting back on this diet.  I haven't even been real strict yet as I still drink a couple of cokes a day.  The major improvement is in my bowels.  I am no longer cramping all day and for the last 4 days have absolutely felt great for the first time in a very long time.  Being a meat and salad lover this diet is pretty easy for me to stick with and it looks like I may have to do this the rest of my life now with just an occasional cheat.  The only problem I am having is not sleeping well for some reason and having to get up and pee at least twice during the night, neither of which was happening before starting this diet.  All the new Keto recipe sites make doing this much easier than in past years with all the added variety of tasty meals now available

Your body is chowing on glycogen stored in the muscles. Glycogen is mostly water. I dropped out of ketosis sunday when I went off the wagon and ate pizza. Last night I ran out of blood sugar again and the glycogen started getting used. I missed 4 times last night. I was up 5 lbs due  to water retention. Down almost 4 lbs right now.

Nah I'm good with drinking the Cokes.  I only need to lose about 5 more lbs and I'll be where I need to be weight wise.  Gone from 195-200 down to 180 currently and shooting for 175 by the first part of July.  I am not morbidly obese.  I'm doing this for digestive issues more so than weight loss.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I would really,  really,  REALLY like a big bowl of sausage,  kraut, and onions. My brain won't let me eat much anymore.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#14]
That sounds delicious.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got back from a 5 day camping and fishing trip yesterday while celebrating the 4th.  Fell off the wagon a little with roasted marshmallows, buns on my hamburgers, Milkyway bars, and a few other things.  Only gained a lb or 2 though so not too bad considering.  Camping with my wife for more than just a couple of days makes it very difficult to eat clean just because she is a carb eating aerobic exercise junky!!!   Oh and several Michelob Ultras which is really good beer for low carb stuff!
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just got back from a 5 day camping and fishing trip yesterday while celebrating the 4th.  Fell off the wagon a little with roasted marshmallows, buns on my hamburgers, Milkyway bars, and a few other things.  Only gained a lb or 2 though so not too bad considering.  Camping with my wife for more than just a couple of days makes it very difficult to eat clean just because she is a carb eating aerobic exercise junky!!!!
View Quote

I've been sick for a month,  put about 8 or 9 lbs back on.  Today is my first day back in keto.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#17]
And now I'm here.

Seems mentioning low-carb diets stirs up a hornet's nest in GD.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And now I'm here.

View Quote

GD is . . .gd.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
And now I'm here.

View Quote

"Stop liking things I don't like!" -GD
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Posted in the GD thread:

So here are some questions.

What effect does alcohol have on low-carb dieting? Can I drink scotch? It supposedly has zero carbs.

I love beer, but I know it has carbs. Are there good, low-carb beers (I've heard Miller Lite is low-carb)?

What about Coke Zero? Are diet sodas okay?

I've read you have to be careful about bacon and sausage because they can have hidden carbs (or something), how do I know? Is it as simple as looking at the nutrition facts and seeing zero carb.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I skidded out of this thread a few months ago.  Visited my doctor and my BP was still too high, and surprisingly, my cholesterol as well.

Made me re-double my efforts.  3 hours more hard exercise each week, trending in to 5 hours more now. Stamina has increased and weight has begun to go back down.  

I still avoid wheat, rice, potatoes, carbs, processed sugars, soft drinks, beer, etc.  I eat a few corn items (3 corn tortillas per week, max).

I have finally found something that fills me up, reduces my food cravings for things like ..crackers, bread, etc.

Dehydrated zucchini and eggplant.  Slice them 1/4" thick.  Peel the zukes first.  No skinning needed for eggplant.

Dehydrate 18 hours.

Crispy, crunchy, and filling.

Lunch is now 2 ounces of cheddar cheese.  3 sammich slices of chicken breast meat.  Sammiched between two slices of dried zuke/eggplant.

It's not a 'cheap' source of low carb, high fiber, product for those that don;t have a garden (I have one), but, eggplant and zukes are fairly low priced in most stores.

Highly recommended for those tryig to find a crunchy, non carb, food.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Posted in the GD thread:

What effect does alcohol have on low-carb dieting? Can I drink scotch? It supposedly has zero carbs.

I love beer, but I know it has carbs. Are there good, low-carb beers (I've heard Miller Lite is low-carb)?

I've read you have to be careful about bacon and sausage because they can have hidden carbs (or something), how do I know? Is it as simple as looking at the nutrition facts and seeing zero carb.
View Quote

Some bacons have sugar added to the cure used to process them.  I don't eat much bacon these days.

I was a 35 year addict of sugar free drinks.  I put them down 8-9 months ago.  It took a long time to break that habit.  Now, ... water is my main drink.

I've also had a decades long love affair with booze in all its forms. I had to stop drinking any grain based alcohol (Paleo).  Red Wine for a while, but it does stain your teeth.

Now.. a couple of glasses of a white each day at most.

Honestly, make yourself drink only coffee, unsweet tea, water.    You'd be surprised how you brain chemistry changes.  You really could not make me drink a Diet Coke now.  I've drunk thousands over the last 30 years.

It just takes time to break the cravings.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm definitely going to cut back on both alcohol and diet sodas.

May cut out the sodas entirely.

I might just switch entirely to liquor as well, in addition to cutting back.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm definitely going to cut back on both alcohol and diet sodas.

May cut out the sodas entirely.

I might just switch entirely to liquor as well, in addition to cutting back.
View Quote

Do yourself a favor.  Just these:

Water
Unsweet Tea
Coffee
Wine

I've posted before...  I used to go out and work in my garden, sweat my ass off for 2-3 hours, haul firewood, exercise, and felt great!  I would rehydrate with a liter of ice cold diet soda.

An hour later I felt like a miserable piece of shit with no self esteem and a flabby gut.

There is a lot to be said for a water-only lifestyle.

TRG

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Posted in the GD thread:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Posted in the GD thread:

you become a serious lightweight.   1 or 2 drinks can really mess you up.  Be careful.
the biggest problem with having a drink is where you do it?  Most people drink in bars or restaurants, you inhibitions go down and you eat shit.
just be careful.
Also, remember that alcohol in any form is a poison, your body will shut down doing whatever else it is doing (burning fat, etc) until it gets rid of the poison.  I don't drink but many people on r/keto stall hard after drinking.

see above, but Suck it up for a while and try not to drink at all (a week or two) just to let your body adjust.   Beer and most alcoholic drinks are pretty calorically intense.

You will also find that you need to drink a LOT of water.  Tons of it.  3 to 5 liters a day.  (really).   Drink more water.  

technically they are ok, but lots of people stall drinking a diet soda(me included).  the body sees it as sugar and reacts the same.  Again, just cut it all out for a few weeks then add it back in slowly and once you've broken the sugar addiction (a month or so), you can then see how it affects you.

You have to read EVERY SINGLE LABEL.  There is sugar in everything.  Sausage can be a huge offender.  One brand can have 1 gram of carbs, the next can have 10.  When you only get 20 grams all day.............

The first month can be amazing.   But I've been on this for 2 years now (150lbs) and I watch people come in, be real strong and strict and lose good weight the first month, then at the 6 week mark just disappear and never return (it is the internet after all).  The 2nd month is harder than the first.  The first month you lose so much weight you don't care, but the 2nd month the weight loss slows down and the diet becomes a bit routine.   By the end of month 3, it's just old habit and it becomes the way that you eat and isn't a big deal and the cravings go away.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#26]
So, two days in and I've got some more questions.

- I do not feel like I'm on a diet, at all. Is that normal? Am I supposed to just eat until I'm full?

- How much meat should I be eating in proportion to vegetables? I have no idea here.

- What the hell do I drink besides water? So far I had to kick back two Coke Zeros just because I needed something other than water to go with a meal.

- Do I NEED to buy those ketosis test strips? Or is that just helpful?

Thanks again for the help guys!

ETA:

Figured I might as well post what I ate today, feel free to critique.

Breakfast: Two scrambled eggs with bacon bits and shredded cheddar plus salt and pepper. Water to drink. Was going to have some bacon, but I burned the holy shit out of it and didn't feel like cooking more.

Snack: Large sliced pepperoni's and water.

Lunch: Double cheeseburger with mayo wrapped in 3 leaves of lettuce. Coke Zero.

Dinnar: Grilled Skewers. 2 boneless pork chops skewered with 1 chopped portobello mushroom, 1 chopped green pepper, and several baby carrots. Added Tony Chachere's. Coke Zero and water to drink. The carrots overpowered every other flavor. Will have to figure out something better to replace them with. Zucchinii slices maybe?

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#27]
carrots and bell peppers are both surprisingly carby

meat, cheese, green leafy veggies, that's the diet.

water, tea, coffee
lots of water, 3 to 4 liters a day (really)
try to avoid the diet drinks for a while, you'll survive.

You'll know you are in ketosis when you start peeing literally all the time.  Like every hour on the hour (only lasts for a day or so), but your body will release all this unneeded water and you'll pee a lot

If you start getting a headache and achy like a fever is coming on, take a cube of bouillon and nuke it with some water and drink it like tea (a really weak chicken soup tea).  not everyone gets the keto flu, but most do the first time.

yep, eat when you are hungry, stop when you aren't hungry.  Within a few days you won't be hungry at all, you'll see.   Stay with it, keto does not suffer cheats.  

i usually have a piece of meat with some veggies.  But i'll admit to having a steak with a side of hamburger once or twice.   meat with a salad, or meat with a veggie is fine.  You don't need tons of veggies, just some.

and hell you can put dressing and oils and fats on those veggies to your heart's content.  

You do not need to buy those ketosis strips, they are just a feedback mechanism.  but if you stay strong and don't cheat and start peeing like crazy, you're there.   And remember the strips are binary.  If they are pink at all you're in keotisis, level of pinkness doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I knew the pepper were carby, didn't think about the carrots though. Will watch both from now on.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I knew the pepper were carby, didn't think about the carrots though. Will watch both from now on.
View Quote

a little of each is fine, but especially initially, you want to be really strict

Plus, this is a high fat diet, you can saute things so they taste better.  (olive oil, real butter, etc)
no reason to waste all that tasty fat.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone checking their cholesterol !!???
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did early on,  haven't in awhile.  I went from double what I should have been to low normal.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#32]
How can that be!? I mean all your eating is meats , fish, fats !...
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our bodies are meant to process meats, fish and fats. Not grains and processed foods. Just imagine all those years we went without eating grains and processed foods. How in the world did we survive?!

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like fat, cholesterol isn't something that the more you eat, the more you have. I eat a heart doctor's idea of instant heart attack for a diet, no issues.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
no issues.
View Quote

Yet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no issues.

Yet.

And I won't have any, despite what any ignorant people have to say. While my labs are perfect on this so called "dangerous" diet, I see people on "heart healthy" diets have worsening diabetes and cardiac issues. I'm over here dropping weight with no diabetes, high cholesterol,  or hypertension anymore.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#37]
A lot of fantastic new recipes and ingredients here.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Low-Carb-Diet-and-Recipes/111914578850139
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm on day 2. Feel good. Urine really stinks so I may be starting but I thought it would take a few days.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm on day 2. Feel good. Urine really stinks so I may be starting but I thought it would take a few days.
View Quote

Drink more water.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

It works...!!  Was on Lipitor and numbers were around 200.  Eat bacon and eggs every morning now and it is in the high 50's.  Got to do away with my blood pressure medications and my CPAP machine too.  Still at a healthy 195lbs this morning.  Still working on getting rid of some "extra skin."    When thats gone I hope to settle around 180. Edit, BTW my HDL is the highest it has ever been in my life.  I have sold my doctor on this now.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It works...!!  Was on Lipitor and numbers were around 200.  Eat bacon and eggs every morning now and it is in the high 50's.  Got to do away with my blood pressure medications and my CPAP machine too.  Still at a healthy 195lbs this morning.  Still working on getting rid of some "extra skin."    When thats gone I hope to settle around 180. Edit, BTW my HDL is the highest it has ever been in my life.  I have sold my doctor on this now.

<a href="http://s557.photobucket.com/user/southrnshooter/media/Weightloss_zpsd20f7ce2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/southrnshooter/Weightloss_zpsd20f7ce2.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s557.photobucket.com/user/southrnshooter/media/Weightloss_zpsd20f7ce2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/southrnshooter/Weightloss_zpsd20f7ce2.jpg</a>

Great job!!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Two of my buddies are on the Ideal Protein diet. I just don't know HOW TO start ketosis. How to get it going.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Two of my buddies are on the Ideal Protein diet. I just don't know HOW TO start ketosis. How to get it going.
View Quote

Very low carb, with plenty of fat.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Can you guys give me a general breakfast lunch and dinner for a day...
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This morning, I had a sliced tomato, 6oz of pork sausage and 3 eggs.   Lunch will be a lettuce wrap, or salad.  Dinner, I'm not sure yet, probably some onions, polish sausage and kraut fried up in butter.  I'm lazy on the weekends.

Last night, I took the wife out to dinner, appetizer was a shrimp cocktail, light on the sauce, house salad minus the croutons, 20oz prime rib with mushrooms.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Amazing. I find it amazing that people loose weight this way. But then again- cavemen weren't fat were they !
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Amazing. I find it amazing that people loose weight this way. But then again- cavemen weren't fat were they !
View Quote

The key with it is consistency. There are no cheat days. You follow your appetite, which will quickly go away.  Eat small meals and let your stomach shrink down. But if you want to eat a massive steak, do it. I eat steak almost every day.  I have my own laying hens, I eat tons of eggs every day.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#48]
No carbs?  Zero???
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No carbs?  Zero???
View Quote

I try to go to zero to get into Ketosis when I slip out for some reason.  Cold meds will generally throw you out for example. Other times I'm a weak pussy and eat a roll at dinner and have to fix it.

The original Atkins diet was a simply concept.

1 get into Ketosis. Less than 20g a day iirc.
2. a few weeks later, go to 25 a day.
3. a few weeks later, go to 30 a day
repeat until you're out of ketosis.
back down 5 to 10 a day until you're back in ketosis and hold that level.

For all the GD bullshit about Atkins being a low carb, the truth was that it's not even a diet as much as it's a method to find out what your body can handle carb wise, and once you've lost all the weight you want to lose, go ahead and not worry about keto, just don't go much, if any, above the level or carbs that'll maintain your weight.  The problem with going extreme on it is that almost everything has carbs. Most meats have none, Scallops for example have a fucking lot. Fake crab is made of fish, but it uses sugar for a binder.  Going zero can put you into keto in less than 24 hours. Most people get under 20g a day and it takes them a few days.

I can safely sit at 25 a day and stay in ketosis, with a very sedentary lifestyle, and more if I work at the FD or hit the gym. It's easy to do once you get used to it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

here, I'll give you your first week

breakfast:  eggs and bacon  (sausage works too, but be careful a lot of sausages have a lot of carbs, you have to read every single label)

lunch:  bunless ketchupless burger  or a salad no croutons with blue cheese or ranch (blue cheese is the safer choice)  McD's double quarter pounder, no
bun, no ketchup is like 4 carbs and is totally a meal.   (remember, you can
add mayo)

dinner:  a meat (steak, pork, dark meat chicken, burger, whatever, fish
works too) and a veggie or a croutonless salad.    I buy those frozen
veggies that are always on sale for a buck, you throw them in the microwave for 6 minutes and boom, veggie.  typically creamed spinach, broccoli with cheese sauce or Brussels sprouts with butter.  You can do it fresh of course, (which is probably better) but I'm lazy.  cauliflower tastes a lot like potato's (seriously), I've got a couple good recipes for cauliflower.
Food costs go WAY down.   It doesn't seem like it, but you end up buying a
LOT less food and you don't buy any munchies or soda or processed food which is expensive.  

that's the first week
drink at least 4 liters of water a day (that's 8 of those little 1/2L bottles every day).  straight boring ass water.  You pee a lot, especially
when you first start.   about the 3rd night it's like every hour on the
hour.  

and when you start feeling like crap about 2 or 3 days in take a cube of chicken bouillon, stick it in a cup of hot water and stir (making really weak chicken broth basically) and drink it you'll feel better within 20 minutes

big tip #1:  DON'T CHEAT.  You just have to go thru the pain of getting into ketosis again and it sets you back a week on weight loss.  Being skinny will feel way better than whatever it is that is tempting you will taste.  

big tip #2.  Never trust a keto fart.   This is somewhat gross, but the
first month and the first couple weeks are umm, tough.  Your system is getting used to running on fat and getting rid of the carbs and ummm well your system can be unstable.  Esp. in the first month if you think you have to fart, get thee to a bathroom.  Trust me on this.  And remember to eat
some veggies/salad/fiber or you'll get constipated bad.    It didn't happen
to me but I hear about it on the forum all the time.  A gentle laxitive if
you have gone more than 2 days without going.   After the first couple
months it really doesn't happen.  BTW farting goes WAY down.  like 99% down.
so does volume in the bathroom if you know what I mean.

big tip #3.  Take pictures of yourself the day before you start.  hide them if you want.  Hell , I know, I was huge and I hated taking pictures of
myself.  But I wish I had the before pictures now.   I know I look a lot
different but I wish I could go side by side on those days when it just
feels like I want to quit.   I'm wearing a T shirt right now that just looks
like a tent on me, it's huge on me.  It didn't fit 5 months ago.  
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top