Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Some get diarrhea for a couple weeks until the body adjusts also.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh and metformin can take up to 2 weeks to be having its full effects going.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 2:07:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh and metformin can take up to 2 weeks to be having its full effects going.

"Sugar free" chocolate's alcohol sugars keep me "pretty regular", notice I'm awake at 3 am?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not too bad, you're under 140 which is more important but yeah, 100 or so would be better.

I honestly don't know how it works for type 2 but would eating a little bit of something before bed lower you morning sugars? Sounds like you are having some kind of Dawn Phenomenon?

What meds are you on again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are your number at waking.

12X usually, sometimes lower.

Not too bad, you're under 140 which is more important but yeah, 100 or so would be better.

I honestly don't know how it works for type 2 but would eating a little bit of something before bed lower you morning sugars? Sounds like you are having some kind of Dawn Phenomenon?

What meds are you on again?

A while back, I had a herniated disk.  Taking hydrocodone for the pain, I had to eat something to avoid nausea.

I ate 2 pieces of bread with my pill,at about 1-2 am,  and in the morning, my levels were lower than ever before.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
In addition, taking no meds, (i am a bad diabetic) my A1c level hit 10.

Doc prescribed, and I take regularly Janumet.  50mg if Januvia, and 1000 mg MetaforminXR twice daily.

Last A1c levels were at 6.9.  Expect it to be lower next time.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Dan ,  (or anybody else that can answer)   ----   I have read most of your blog entries ---  I havent been diagnosed with anything yet,    but i was wondering if there is anything over the counter (testers or strips or monitors - anything )  a guy like me can buy to keep track of this stuff?   I weigh over 300 and am scared to death of a diabetes diagnosis  ----  likely almost anybody who weighs what i do needs to watch out for this ,  (unless your 7' tall )

I assume nothing takes the place of blood work from the doctor,  but i was looking for something to supplement my morning routine of taking my blood pressure and pulse, etc.     ------    like any other heavyset middle age person , -- i dont want to be, and will not give up the fight , -- i am too important to my family , and when i neglect my health, i am neglecting them too
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dan ,  (or anybody else that can answer)   ----   I have read most of your blog entries ---  I havent been diagnosed with anything yet,    but i was wondering if there is anything over the counter (testers or strips or monitors - anything )  a guy like me can buy to keep track of this stuff?   I weigh over 300 and am scared to death of a diabetes diagnosis  ----  likely almost anybody who weighs what i do needs to watch out for this ,  (unless your 7' tall )

I assume nothing takes the place of blood work from the doctor,  but i was looking for something to supplement my morning routine of taking my blood pressure and pulse, etc.     ------    like any other heavyset middle age person , -- i dont want to be, and will not give up the fight , -- i am too important to my family , and when i neglect my health, i am neglecting them too
View Quote

You can buy everything you need to test sugar at Wal-Mart for less than 40 bucks.  Test strips,  meter,  lancets, and alcohol pads.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You can buy everything you need to test sugar at Wal-Mart for less than 40 bucks.  Test strips,  meter,  lancets, and alcohol pads.
View Quote

This, get the reli-on brand.

Everything, cheap.
And you don't need extra lancets (pokers) getting the $5 sticker has about 10 with it.

If your just trying to verify, the meter $15, the strips $9/50 and the sticker $5  will get you done.

Only wusses use alcohol pads  

And if it measures under 125 and you've had a regular meal within the last 2 hours you are probably fine.

You might also check when you wake up, spend 12 hours fasting, just water, then check when you wake up.

Should be 90-110, but again, under 125 is probably no issue.

Above 150, you are probably pre-diabetic, and might get a professional check.

Good luck.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I forgot. The up/down  trend line that is weight loss dipped into the 280s this morning.  After a 3 fucking week plateau, it feels way better than it should.

It ended up being a fluke, I cycled back up. I've now been below 290 for over a week, holding a steady bottom end at 287. Time to bust right through that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Everything, cheap.
And you don't need extra lancets (pokers) getting the $5 sticker has about 10 with it.

If your just trying to verify, the meter $15, the strips $9/50 and the sticker $5  will get you done.

And if it measures under 125 and you've had a regular meal within the last 2 hours you are probably fine.

You might also check when you wake up, spend 12 hours fasting, just water, then check when you wake up.

Good luck.

TXL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything, cheap.

Good luck.

TXL

Thanks for the info, Txl and Dan

and Dan, congrats on getting into the 280's     ---------   I've read Wendlers 5/3/1 system  -- its good stuff
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I just procured all the Reli-On stuff   ---  i had a meal 2 hours before, but it was only a chicken breast  (with some feta cheese and spinach though)  ----  probably pretty low impact      -----  

The Reli-On lancet device recommends starting out at the middle depth position, but i guess my fingers are too calloused up,  so i had to set it at 5  --  Ouch -- i had to hit that sucker multiple times to get enough blood for a reading

it read 104 at 6pm   , so  i was a bit relieved , but will take it again in the morning after a full night's sleep

According to the information you great folks  (and WebMD) have given me, i am likely in  a good range ,  but as a heavyset person, i need to keep an eye on this stuff and study the effects of different foods on my body

I have to admit , i was shaking --- thinking to myself if it was over 150, i would be scheduling a trip to the doc for a checkup and to work out some medication  --- i was literally shaking waiting on the results ,

I will keep looking at this periodically because it is of great concern to me, but i am hoping if i can drop the weight (or some of it) that will help

Thanks all  ------   I'll check back in in the morning if my morning reading is spiked out of normal boundaries
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just procured all the Reli-On stuff   ---  i had a meal 2 hours before, but it was only a chicken breast  (with some feta cheese and spinach though)  ----  probably pretty low impact      -----  

The Reli-On lancet device recommends starting out at the middle depth position, but i guess my fingers are too calloused up,  so i had to set it at 5  --  Ouch -- i had to hit that sucker multiple times to get enough blood for a reading

it read 104 at 6pm   , so  i was a bit relieved , but will take it again in the morning after a full night's sleep

According to the information you great folks  (and WebMD) have given me, i am likely in  a good range ,  but as a heavyset person, i need to keep an eye on this stuff and study the effects of different foods on my body

I have to admit , i was shaking --- thinking to myself if it was over 150, i would be scheduling a trip to the doc for a checkup and to work out some medication  --- i was literally shaking waiting on the results ,

I will keep looking at this periodically because it is of great concern to me, but i am hoping if i can drop the weight (or some of it) that will help

Thanks all  ------   I'll check back in in the morning if my morning reading is spiked out of normal boundaries
View Quote

You can get an A1C lab done as well. Would give you a better picture. If you have any family with type 1 you can get screened for antibodies too. From what I read they can be present up to ten years before symptoms...
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well --   perhaps i was in too good a mood after my 104 reading yesterday .   An Army buddy was in town , and we downed way too many beers together.     This morning i read up a little -  1 or 2 glasses of wine can lower your blood glucise reading temporarilly,  but repeated binge drinking can raise it  --- blood pressure meds like Lisinopril can also raise it (or lower it, i've read conflicting reports)  - I'm on Lisinopril

This morning's Fasting Reading was 110    --- i had thought that since my reading yesterday afternoon was 104, the reading this morning would have dipped into the 90's

Just going to have to cut the drinking out this weekend, give the poisons a couple of days to completely cycle out of my body , and take a reading again.   But i am about to have some breakfast   (1 egg, 1 egg white and 2 pieces of chicken sausage is what i have planned) - so will check it again 2 hours after the meal

I talked to my brother about this , -- he said  "Dude !  Just go to the doctor !"    - not bad advice admittedly , but sadly ---  i am self employed and pay for my very expensive med insurance completely out of pocket ---  a diabetes diagnosis would likely put the cost of my insurance premium out of my reach  --- sad we live in a world where people have to think like that

EDIT:  Updated after i took the reading 2 hours after breakfast  ---    took 3 readings from the sme finger ,  102, 104, then 110    -- then i switched hands and took a reading from my left index finger -- 110 again   -- the meal was low on the glycemic index, sure, but i thought it would move the meter a little bit
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for putting up the blog.  I'm digging my way through it.  

I'm in the finger poking, stomach stabbing, hyper/hypoglycemic's anonymous club.  Got diagnosed in the ER as a "Type WTF" (nurses words, not my own) in 09 when what I thought was a stomach flu/cramp turned out to be pancreatitis and DKA.  Spent about 2 weeks in the ICU - NPO with morphine, potassium, and insulin on a drip.  Blood glucose in the ER was in the 950s, triglycerides were so high the hospital machine wouldn't read it (stopped at 12,500).  Got the lovely experience of a doctor telling me I should call my family and pray to see morning.  The next two years I sat around like a potato and felt sorry for myself, shoveling anything that ended in "wurst" down because it didn't have carbs (did I mention I was an idiot about everything and in wicked denial?)  

Wife kicked me in the teeth about two years ago and got me going to a gym.  What started out as a fat guy teetering on a stationary bike has turned into the me of today.  Currently my sugar is controlled with 90 units lantus for breakfast (yes, breakfast, I was tired of waking up hypo in the middle of the night after my diet changed), paleo diet, and a lot of exercise.  Still have the novalog around for bad days, but I so rarely need to stuff it's probably expired by now.  

Anyway, I'm back to GD to lurk.  
Thanks again.

ETA. I can't spell anonymous to save my life and I'm too potato to use spell check before posting.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Have you been taking the metformin by itself?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have you been taking the metformin by itself?
View Quote

Nope. My sugars are where they need to be without them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Cool then, it sorted itself out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cool then, it sorted itself out.
View Quote

Lifting and keto are a wonderful combo.  Keto without lifting can lead to elevated, sugar ~150ish in my case, but lifting gets me 100 to 110 90% of the time.  Even restdays.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Keto without lifting can lead to elevated sugar.
View Quote

Why is that?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keto without lifting can lead to elevated sugar.

Why is that?

Ketosis is *roughly* the generation of glucose from body fat. That's why when people say that you need glucose to eat so keto diets are stupid, quite simply, are clueless. The thing about ketosis is that once you're in it, your metabolism boosts up, and day and night, it burns. Some people complain of difficulty sleeping it's so bad. I usually bounce off the walls like a kid on a sugar high. After a few weeks or months it'll come down to normal, but proper keto diets are telling the brain that you're getting plenty of fat, so it's ok to let the stores go.

Another reason low fat diets are stupid. The brain worries about lack of fat in the diet and holds on to what it has. Not that the amount of fat you consume has anything directly to do with body fat, it's just an indicator of feast or famine in the subconscious. If you're eating lots of fat, life is good, no need to store it. If you're not, life isn't as good, store up some fat.

Body fat is stored sugar in the end.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#21]
My sleep problems did resurface when I started keto.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Doing good.

I'm very interested in what my next a1c will be. I've been keeping my surgars between 70-110. I try to wake up under 100.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Doing good.

I'm very interested in what my next a1c will be. I've been keeping my surgars between 70-110. I try to wake up under 100.
View Quote

I'm kind of worried.  My test numbers are great,  but even with the testing schedule I do,  right after meals, etc  I don't really trust it.  I bounce from 100 to 120 and theoretically, that should give me an A1C of 5.7 or so. I'm doubtful.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#25]
How soon after meals are you testing? 2 hours post parandial you should be under 120 or under 110 depending on what you read. I've chosen the lower mark just because. I want tight and since I'm a T1 now a days I can test much more often, 7-8 times a day and my endo wrote orders for 8 a day. Basically what ever I'm doing I just tell them and they call it in.

My 7 day/14 day and 30 day average sugars are under 95. My 90 day average which has my post hospital sugars in it is just about under 100 now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh lol, just to add. I spoke with one of the DM educators at work. She is a sweet gal but does not have diabetes herself. I told her what I keep my sugars and she said "too tight" in one of her responses. I don't think she realized how that sounded lol. Yeah... Too tight. I'm sorry, my body, don't want it fucked up from uncontrolled and high sugars, thanks...

I basically gave her more diet education and insulin inject education then she gave me a month and a half ago. But it reneforced what crap the ADA preaches, "just eat your normal pre-diabetes diet and chase it with insulin". She asked if I was ok never eating a whole pizza again. I was like yeah, it's not worth it.

Then later me and the wife were talking about that conversation and she agreed. People with diabetes that try to pretend they shouldn't change their diet and that they are normal are fools. No, the pancreas doesn't work right, no longer normal, adjust diet and life style to accommodate, don't be a fool. They may not feel it but the damage they cause themselves isn't worth it and I see it every day I clock in so I'm constantly reminded of what poor control leads too. No thanks.

One of the docs I work with came up to me out of the blue shortly after I went back to work and he asked if I had the beetus. I told him what happened and he said something that has really stuck with me. He said, "if you keep your sugars normal then it's like you don't even have it, just takes more work cuz now you have to do the work". He was very supportive and it really meant a lot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How soon after meals are you testing? 2 hours post parandial you should be under 120 or under 110 depending on what you read. I've chosen the lower mark just because. I want tight and since I'm a T1 now a days I can test much more often, 7-8 times a day and my endo wrote orders for 8 a day. Basically what ever I'm doing I just tell them and they call it in.

My 7 day/14 day and 30 day average sugars are under 95. My 90 day average which has my post hospital sugars in it is just about under 100 now.
View Quote

Randomly all over. At times I intentionally test when it should be higher by tradition,  but eating strict low carb, I don't get meal spikes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah,  It's really pathetic how many "professionals" have no idea.  Just like with weight loss.  I've had 3 friends have heart procedures this year after being put on high carb, low fat diets to combat cardiac issues.  They tell me I'm nuts eating the way I do,  yet my blood tests are getting better,  they are getting plaque knocked out of their hearts because they eat shit a doctor or dietician told them to.  Luckily,  I have a great doc, but my wife's best friend is a by the book MD fresh out of school.  She's going to save the world with the good pyramid.  While she's eating by the book and getting fatter.

Quoted:
Oh lol, just to add. I spoke with one of the DM educators at work. She is a sweet gal but does not have diabetes herself. I told her what I keep my sugars and she said "too tight" in one of her responses. I don't think she realized how that sounded lol. Yeah... Too tight. I'm sorry, my body, don't want it fucked up from uncontrolled and high sugars, thanks...

I basically gave her more diet education and insulin inject education then she gave me a month and a half ago. But it reneforced what crap the ADA preaches, "just eat your normal pre-diabetes diet and chase it with insulin". She asked if I was ok never eating a whole pizza again. I was like yeah, it's not worth it.

Then later me and the wife were talking about that conversation and she agreed. People with diabetes that try to pretend they shouldn't change their diet and that they are normal are fools. No, the pancreas doesn't work right, no longer normal, adjust diet and life style to accommodate, don't be a fool. They may not feel it but the damage they cause themselves isn't worth it and I see it every day I clock in so I'm constantly reminded of what poor control leads too. No thanks.

One of the docs I work with came up to me out of the blue shortly after I went back to work and he asked if I had the beetus. I told him what happened and he said something that has really stuck with me. He said, "if you keep your sugars normal then it's like you don't even have it, just takes more work cuz now you have to do the work". He was very supportive and it really meant a lot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah,  It's really pathetic how many "professionals" have no idea.  Just like with weight loss.  I've had 3 friends have heart procedures this year after being put on high carb, low fat diets to combat cardiac issues.  They tell me I'm nuts eating the way I do,  yet my blood tests are getting better,  they are getting plaque knocked out of their hearts because they eat shit a doctor or dietician told them to.  Luckily,  I have a great doc, but my wife's best friend is a by the book MD fresh out of school.  She's going to save the world with the good pyramid.  While she's eating by the book and getting fatter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh man tell me about it. I always tell people at work that the last person I'd take diet info is from a doctor and second, a dietician...

I also like this saying I got from Dr. Bernstein, "There are essential fats, there are essential proteins, but find me an essential carb?".
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oh man tell me about it. I always tell people at work that the last person I'd take diet info is from a doctor and second, a dietician...

I also like this saying I got from Dr. Bernstein, "There are essential fats, there are essential proteins, but find me an essential carb?".
View Quote

That is a GREAT quote.  Never heard that one before, but I love it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Still struggling with this. Wednsday night I went to bed at 9, woke up at Midnight, and was wired for the rest of the night. I didn't feel too tired the next day, but 3 hours of sleep can't be good. Last night I woke at round 12 again, but got back to sleep after a while.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Still struggling with this. Wednsday night I went to bed at 9, woke up at Midnight, and was wired for the rest of the night. I didn't feel too tired the next day, but 3 hours of sleep can't be good. Last night I woke at round 12 again, but got back to sleep after a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you tried ZMA?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#33]
No, don't know what ZMA is.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No, don't know what ZMA is.
View Quote

It's more a sleep aid then anything and the sleep you do get is very restful.

Doesn't work for everyone but may work for you, Zinc, Magnesium and B12.

Beware the vivid dreams ;)
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zinc, you want zinc.
Read this in a Maffletone book, if you wake up and can't get back to sleep, you're short on zinc.  The pills are cheap (or I just bought the cheap ones) and the results have been amazing.
I sleep great now
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Zinc, you want zinc.
Read this in a Maffletone book, if you wake up and can't get back to sleep, you're short on zinc.  The pills are cheap (or I just bought the cheap ones) and the results have been amazing.
I sleep great now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zinc, you want zinc.
I sleep great now

Where'd you get them? What brand?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:06:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zinc, you want zinc.
I sleep great now

I had this problem at first (and still do occasionally)... Kroger sells a sleep aid, it is a Kroger brand, and you can either get it in a "bubble pack" or a bottle of 50 or 100.  It's just a small dose of Benadryl(5mg I think).  I don't think it's more than $9 for the bottle.  Very effective, cheap sleep aid.  I find 2 will knock me out for about 5-6hrs.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:57:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zinc, you want zinc.
I sleep great now

everyplace with vitamins has them (in the mineral section).   grocery stores, walgreens (overpriced), sprouts, whole paycheck, vitamin cottage, etc.

nature made

nature's bounty

now foods (250 count)

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Bump for update.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bump for update.
View Quote

Way to go!  I didn't really get the numbers (I guess I didn't read the pic that closely).. until you mentioned it in the other thread.

Congrats again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#42]
I just finished reading "wheat belly" and it seems like a lot of people have had great success with eliminating wheat and excessive carbs
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top