Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like Reebok needs to get their other sponsor, CrossFit, to come in and redesign the Spartan Race series.

Imagine one of the obsticales being Fran...  Then doing Grace at the end of the race before charging through the spartans at the end.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a pretty large group hitting that up (like...5?) if you want to tagalong.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I literally JUST signed up for the super spartan in Virginia on August 23.
I have a pretty large group hitting that up (like...5?) if you want to tagalong.  

Thanks! I appreciate the invite, but I have some friends that I will be heading up there with. We'll likely end up leaving early to pick up the kids from the sitters.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Edit: Chris, I just saw your rundown of the 2013 Spartan at Wintergreen and realized that I may need to adjust me expectations for my time. It sounded like it was more of a climb than a run. Looks like I might be getting REALLY well acquainted with Sharp top.
View Quote

Oh, you are doing the Spartan Super in VA?

IIRC, Hobie Call had a 14-15 min mile pace.

You gonna get raped.

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I ran the Montana Spartan Sprint on saturday.  As always, fun stuff!  It was considered a "founders race" and was 4.6 miles with 4000' of elevation gain and 18 obstacles according to the paper.  It was cold this year when we started at about 40-45 degrees but later in the day the sun came out and warmed up a bit.  At least it didn't snow!  I think that maybe one or more of the Spartan gear trucks got lost and never made it up here.  There was no traverse wall, no slippery wall, no tractor drag, no tire flip, no herculean hoist, and no atlas carry.  Substituted were a 10' long log flip and lots of long barb wire crawls along with hay bales to go over and numerous mud holes.  There also were no spartans at the end to beat you with their pugil sticks.  And the rope climb consisted of ropes hung between trees instead of the usual setup of between stacked cargo containers.  Not griping too much though as it seemed that they really tried to make up the missing obstacles with things they had available or natural materials (log carries, etc). For the 2nd year I haven't had to do a single penalty burpee!    

Here is a link to some pics:
40 photos
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Prepare_0d8190_1430403.gif

You gonna get raped.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit: Chris, I just saw your rundown of the 2013 Spartan at Wintergreen and realized that I may need to adjust me expectations for my time. It sounded like it was more of a climb than a run. Looks like I might be getting REALLY well acquainted with Sharp top.

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Prepare_0d8190_1430403.gif

You gonna get raped.

haha. It will certainly be interesting
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ran the Montana Spartan Sprint on saturday.  As always, fun stuff!  It was considered a "founders race" and was 4.6 miles with 4000' of elevation gain and 18 obstacles according to the paper.  It was cold this year when we started at about 40-45 degrees but later in the day the sun came out and warmed up a bit.  At least it didn't snow!  I think that maybe one or more of the Spartan gear trucks got lost and never made it up here.  There was no traverse wall, no slippery wall, no tractor drag, no tire flip, no herculean hoist, and no atlas carry.  Substituted were a 10' long log flip and lots of long barb wire crawls along with hay bales to go over and numerous mud holes.  There also were no spartans at the end to beat you with their pugil sticks.  And the rope climb consisted of ropes hung between trees instead of the usual setup of between stacked cargo containers.  Not griping too much though as it seemed that they really tried to make up the missing obstacles with things they had available or natural materials (log carries, etc). For the 2nd year I haven't had to do a single penalty burpee!    

40 photos
View Quote

Log flips, normal. Lots of barb wire and crawling, normal. Spartan (in Joe De Sena's efforts to impress the IOC) dropped the Spartans at the finish line with pugil sticks when the 2014 season started 'officially'. The ropes between tree's I have seen before. It does make me raise and eyebrow about the lack of the traverse wall, the angle mud wall at the end no hoist/ atlas however.

I hope you had a good time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

haha. It will certainly be interesting
View Quote

The only real running we were able to do was out the start gate to the bottom of the mountain/ hill and when from traversing top of the ski slopes or the bottom. The rest was either going down vert or up it.

It was so much fun that race, very difficult to keep moving non stop. Calves stayed stretched out, however
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Log flips, normal. Lots of barb wire and crawling, normal. Spartan (in Joe De Sena's efforts to impress the IOC) dropped the Spartans at the finish line with pugil sticks when the 2014 season started 'officially'. The ropes between tree's I have seen before. It does make me raise and eyebrow about the lack of the traverse wall, the angle mud wall at the end no hoist/ atlas however.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

40 photos

I did have a good time!  I completed this course last year and it had all of the normal obstacles that I mentioned were absent. Weird.  To add insult to injury, my timing chip must of malfunctioned because they have no listing of me even competing in the race.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Spartan Race just announced they will be putting on both a Sprint and a Beast in my area next year!  I am excited to run the Beast distance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Ran a Super Spartan in Austin last weekend.  Kicked my ever-loving ass.  I HATE running.  And it felt like an almost pure runners course with all the obstacles thrown in at the end.  No pugle sticks though.   I"m the Knucklehead not wearing his medal.

Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ran a Super Spartan in Austin last weekend.  Kicked my ever-loving ass.  I HATE running.  And it felt like an almost pure runners course with all the obstacles thrown in at the end.  No pugle sticks though.   I"m the Knucklehead not wearing his medal.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/ShepherdPIctures/2207b305-6ae9-4ba2-b705-ba05d0bc01f9_zps5aff1740.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, they did that shit at the Sprint in Indiana. A lot of the upperbody stuff right at the end. Good times. Congrats on finishing.

Spartan got rid of the Pugils to impress the IOC at the start of this season, it's Desena's high on dream to have Spartan become an Olympic event.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I just pulled the trigger and registered for the Spartan Super in Illinois on Sept 27th. got $30.00 for GOVX discount (they also have a Memorial30 for $30.00)..cost was $108.00 total. I picked 1215p-2p start.

I am going to commit to the MensHealth Urbanathalon in Chicago in October as well. Just have to conf's the date with work.

No Beast in the books, Spartan Race hates the mid west when it comes to Beasts.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a general question for those that have done a Spartan.

Rope climbs - do the ropes used in the race have knots tied in them for grip?

I just found the thickest rope I could get at the local hardware store and hooked it up to my deck for climbing practice and I have difficulty maintaining a grip as the rope still seems to thin. Just curious if I should look for a new rope or just tie knots in it. I don't want knots in it if the race rope has no knots.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, they did that shit at the Sprint in Indiana. A lot of the upperbody stuff right at the end. Good times. Congrats on finishing.

Spartan got rid of the Pugils to impress the IOC at the start of this season, it's Desena's high on dream to have Spartan become an Olympic event.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/ShepherdPIctures/2207b305-6ae9-4ba2-b705-ba05d0bc01f9_zps5aff1740.jpg

Thanks.  The big problem was dealing with the cramps and sheer fatigue at the end.  By themselves, the obstacles were no real problem.  Thrown in at the end of 8 miles and a mid-afternoon start in the heat, the obstacles became significant.   But we got it done.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a general question for those that have done a Spartan.

Rope climbs - do the ropes used in the race have knots tied in them for grip?

I just found the thickest rope I could get at the local hardware store and hooked it up to my deck for climbing practice and I have difficulty maintaining a grip as the rope still seems to thin. Just curious if I should look for a new rope or just tie knots in it. I don't want knots in it if the race rope has no knots.
View Quote

Yes, the ropes had knots in them.  From my perspective, the challenging part of the rope climb was the fact that the ropes were a) fairly thin, and b) not weighted down at the bottom.  They swung around like crazy when trying to climb.  Not a real problem in the normal course of events...but after 8+ miles in the heat and dealing with serious leg cramps, it was a challenge.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm signed up for the Carolina Spartan Beast  this October.  I am anxious to try a Spartan after a few Tough Mudders, especially since the Spartans are timed for finisher comparison.  I didnt think that any of the TM's obstacles were extremely difficult into themselves, just that after 8 or so miles almost any obstacle at all starts to suck.  My TM finish times were around 2.5 hrs.  I've been busting it trying to get my finish time around the 2 hour mark for this one.  lets hope.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I took part in and completed my first GoRuck Challenge this weekend.  It truly was quite the experience and there's not a muscle in my body that's not sore today.  It did open my eyes as to what my body really can do when pushed.  I highly recommend doing one of these if you want to push yourself as well as learn some team building and leadership skills.

The Challenge I participated in was actually the middle event to an HCL (Heavy, Challenge, Light) that was taking place over the weekend.  We had seven or so folks who came right into our event after completing a 24 hour Heavy.  When we finished our Challenge they were headed to a Light in less than 2 hours.  Those folks were amazing and I can't imagine going through what they did.  They were a great asset for our team.

This was my first foray into OCR type events.  I'm hoping to find some more somewhat locally this year and try them out as well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:29:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Spartan opened up Ohio for a Beast! Awesome. Already got a Sprint knocked out, committed to a Super in Illinois and now I am able to sign up for a Beast.

Good stuff.

Wish I was able to do more this year, just work sched and other commitments has really hampered the OCR sched for me this year.

Side note, I joined the local (Ann Arbor) Chapter of Team RWB. Like minded vets, awesome cause and this/ they will really fill a hole in my heart and give me some much needed accountability and camaraderie and also open up local events. The first one I am particiapting is their Embrace The Suck Challenge here in Michigan on the 29th... All I know about it is; Ruck, Bike, Run, Circuit/ Crossfit.

Hope you all are training hard and having a great time.

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I took part in and completed my first GoRuck Challenge this weekend.  It truly was quite the experience and there's not a muscle in my body that's not sore today.  It did open my eyes as to what my body really can do when pushed.  I highly recommend doing one of these if you want to push yourself as well as learn some team building and leadership skills.

The Challenge I participated in was actually the middle event to an HCL (Heavy, Challenge, Light) that was taking place over the weekend.  We had seven or so folks who came right into our event after completing a 24 hour Heavy.  When we finished our Challenge they were headed to a Light in less than 2 hours.  Those folks were amazing and I can't imagine going through what they did.  They were a great asset for our team.

This was my first foray into OCR type events.  I'm hoping to find some more somewhat locally this year and try them out as well.
View Quote

They are fun, and the company makes a great sandbag.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Desena wants more exposure, he should contact Dave Castro to see if he can get a Spartan Beast put into the CrossFit Games.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Well that's that. I am paid for the Ohio Beast.

Super in Illinois then the Beast for the Trifecta.

#beastmode
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked at the goruck stuff around my parts. I am interested, spoke with a co worker who is very involved with it. I have to wait and see if they move their challenges outside of the city. I have no desire to participate in the events if they keep them on Downtown Detroit. I articulated my reasoning to him, he gets it and understands. He doesn't agree, but he see's the point.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I looked at the goruck stuff around my parts. I am interested, spoke with a co worker who is very involved with it. I have to wait and see if they move their challenges outside of the city. I have no desire to participate in the events if they keep them on Downtown Detroit. I articulated my reasoning to him, he gets it and understands. He doesn't agree, but he see's the point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with your area, but according to the events map, there are other locations in MI that have events.  

http://www.goruck.com/en/Events#.U6hz7LHccZw
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:05:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done a couple in downtown Memphis (South Detroit).  Always fun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm not familiar with your area, but according to the events map, there are other locations in MI that have events.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones I saw are in Detroit (Campus Martius is downtown Detroit) and TBD. Will keep an eye out.

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#27]
What does the training routine for these events look like?
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't speak for everyone, but Spartan Race sends out daily workouts to your email that are pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Spartan Sprint in PA on July 12th...

Probably not ready for it....can't run a mile faster than eleven minutes, can only do one pullup, but I intend on finishing even if I have to do burpees at every station.  Don't even care what my time is, I'm just looking at it is a goal to accomplish and an "obstacle" to overcome on my weight loss and fitness journey..
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got done doing a zombie 5k in dfw, 4pm day race, car temp said 109, ridiculously hot. 5k Night race started at 9pm, ran/walked it in an opscore base and pvs-14. Super fun, highly recommend the night races during the summer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:22:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What does the training routine for these events look like?
View Quote

Run, run, workout and lots of burpees.  We had a swimming section at the one in MS, it felt great after all the running.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Guys, I am sorry I have neglected this thread. I have quit a bit to update and post.

I joined TeamRWB and have done some kick ass training with them. Lots of like minded physical vets with similar goals in my local chapter. We did a 10k Ruck/Run/ Hump and I made a small OC that we had to do twice.

Lots of bear crawls, walls, block drags, carry's, lifts, log flips, etc..good times. We ended it with a BBQ at my swim and racquet club, I made a quick vid, set the youtube player to HD:

I have the Spartan Super in Illinois and then the Beast in Ohio for my Trifecta and then I doing the Mens Health Urbanathalon in Chicago for the remaining of the 2014 season.

I got plenty of stuff to post, will get on it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, I have been all signed up and paid for the Super Spartan in Wintergreen, VA and as of three weeks ago my right knee has been giving me major pain after only running 1-1.5 miles. I'm extremely depressed as I have been training for/looking forward to this event since December.

I'm not sure if I should go ahead and do the race and risk further/permanent injury or skip it and work on letting it heal. I've had some recurring back/hip problems causing my legs to be functionally different lengths which I think is causing the problem in my knee. I'm really bummed and not sure what to do. $160 might have just flushed down the drain.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well, I have been all signed up and paid for the Super Spartan in Wintergreen, VA and as of three weeks ago my right knee has been giving me major pain after only running 1-1.5 miles. I'm extremely depressed as I have been training for/looking forward to this event since December.

I'm not sure if I should go ahead and do the race and risk further/permanent injury or skip it and work on letting it heal. I've had some recurring back/hip problems causing my legs to be functionally different lengths which I think is causing the problem in my knee. I'm really bummed and not sure what to do. $160 might have just flushed down the drain.
View Quote

That sucks, do what you think is best. The Super in VA is no joke and many say it is harder than most Beasts due to the terrain. I know it was the toughest race I have ever done. The area's between the ski slopes are brutal on the legs, lots of wet creeks, rocks, etc..and the friggin' hills..going up, up and up.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Ran a TM yesterday.  A buddy decided over the winter he needed an excuse to get into shape.  So a couple of us agreed to run it with him as moral support.  Became an excuse for me to get back in the workout game too.  Though never a "runner" I probably did more training than I really needed to for a 10m course but better than not enough.  After mentioning it on FB a couple ol service buddies hit me up wanting to get together for an event.  Would be pretty cool to something like a TM or Spartan with them after all these years (12) to be exact.

Never really thought I'd get into obstacle races, but if they can be an "excuse" why not!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top