Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 55
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got out today to do my first trail ride in a long, long time.  I was on a time constraint so I ended up riding less than ten miles, all single track, but lots up and down.  

Funny how perishable some of the skills are.  First half of the ride was telling myself "get your hands off the damn brakes!  Bend your knees and relax!" and second half, after almost dying on the climb back up "God, I love single track."  

A combination of the altitude, heat and (lack of) humidity is brutal though.  

It wasn't as much as I would to have liked to ride and I didn't have as much endurance as I would have liked, but I rode more today than most people.
View Quote

The 6 hour race for today got postponed. I am trying to get out to my local trail for a couple or 3 hours, but the skies are not looking good.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Plans canceled by the rain coming in early and my truck not starting.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The 6 hour race for today got postponed. I am trying to get out to my local trail for a couple or 3 hours, but the skies are not looking good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got out today to do my first trail ride in a long, long time.  I was on a time constraint so I ended up riding less than ten miles, all single track, but lots up and down.  

Funny how perishable some of the skills are.  First half of the ride was telling myself "get your hands off the damn brakes!  Bend your knees and relax!" and second half, after almost dying on the climb back up "God, I love single track."  

It wasn't as much as I would to have liked to ride and I didn't have as much endurance as I would have liked, but I rode more today than most people.

That's been the problem hers for weeks.  Afternoon thunderstorms around 3pm (right when I get off work), and once they roll through it's like being in a steam room.  I've logged maybe 50 miles in the last three weeks. Maybe.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's been the problem hers for weeks.  Afternoon thunderstorms around 3pm (right when I get off work), and once they roll through it's like being in a steam room.  I've logged maybe 50 miles in the last three weeks. Maybe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 1 ride this month so far.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Did 15 miles on Thursday on my normal out-and-back bike trail on the hybrid.

Did 42.3 this morning on the Scott. Beautiful morning and cool temps. Payed more attention to heart rate and eased into the ride. While avg speed was lower (16mph) I finished the ride tired but not destroyed.

Thought I was taking a clever shortcut that turned to loose gravel and then dirt. My road bike cried.

I tried riding on the drops a few times but damn was that not comfortable. I couldn't really reach the brake levers confidently and just generally it felt odd. Gonna have my local bike store adjust the break levers inward more and keep trying it ride the drops more. Right now, on the hoods just feels so much more normal/stable but I know it slows me down and over long distances it does start to hurt.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Got out for almost 3 hours on the road.  Not what I wanted but better than nothing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Only the 3rd time on the bike this year.  Got 35mi on the tandem with DH at the Tour de Paris.  A great ride if you're in north Texas in July.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know anything from personal experience, but did find this...

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/parks-recreation/parks-trails/Documents/bikeways-trails-map.pdf

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question for anyone familiar with VA Beach area:  I'll be spending 4 days in VA Beach in September and plan on bringing my bike so I don't have to spend time with my wife's sisters

What are some good rides in the area that I should consider?  I'll be on my recumbent (1.25 tires) so no gravel trails, please.  

Thanks!

I don't know anything from personal experience, but did find this...

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/parks-recreation/parks-trails/Documents/bikeways-trails-map.pdf

I like the map. Thinking about the challenge end of the sammer. Now restore health after the accident, and almost never leave the house. But the doctor gave me permission to use my home  recumbent bike. So now having everyday training. Of course acording Jons guide it's not that perfect but very helpful to me now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Did 10 miles of modified intervals on the road bike on Tuesday.

Did 15 miles of flat out on the hybrid on Thursday.

Had a crazy stressful week at work.

None of that added up to a good ride today. 42miles at 15.8mph avg and 1000' of elevation change  However, legs felt like cement and any application of power shot my heartrate past 140bpm (which is high for me). I took it crazy easy for most of the ride.

Hit some sort of goose duck thing by accident. He started in other lane and kept moving closer and closer to me in my lane. I yelled out to shoo him off and kept drifting right to avoid but ran out of road. At the last second he tried to fly away....too late. He bounced off my front tire. Somehow I didn't crash.

Was able to eek out the miles but it did not feel good at all. I saw this vulture thing somewhere in my 40th mile. I took it as some sort of omen.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I started late this year. Today was a tune up for a century next week.
https://www.strava.com/activities/650808673
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Did a gravel ride yesterday, on my MTB. 22.3 miles, 2900 ft. of climbing. Hotter than hell, and not a lot of shade. Not gonna lie, it kicked my ass!! Hardest ride I've done in a while, that's for sure!! The ride started off climbing, and never let up. It definitely let me know I've been slacking this summer!!

STRAVA
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#12]
New (to me) ride

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Really don't understand what is going on. Did 15 miles at 14.7mph/avg on the Giant hybrid on the bike trail.

But legs just feel totally weak, like no energy at all. Used lower gears to keep moving and went out of the saddle a couple times to get up hills that I normally sail over.

Legs were dead last Saturday too. I thought by resting from then till now I'd feel better, but not so.

I read these posts about guys not riding for 3 years and they hop on a bike and crush out 30 miles and wonder wtf.

Weird.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Really don't understand what is going on. Did 15 miles at 14.7mph/avg on the Giant hybrid on the bike trail.

But legs just feel totally weak, like no energy at all. Used lower gears to keep moving and went out of the saddle a couple times to get up hills that I normally sail over.

Legs were dead last Saturday too. I thought by resting from then till now I'd feel better, but not so.

I read these posts about guys not riding for 3 years and they hop on a bike and crush out 30 miles and wonder wtf.

Weird.
View Quote

Well, depends.  Someone else may jump in and correct my, YMMV.  What you are describing often has a lot to do with other activities that day and what you are eating.  That dead feeling is lack of glycogen in your muscles.  Could also be dehydration.  If you don't have to pee right before you ride you are lacking in water.

Drink some water/gatorade until you have to pee like crazy and eat and orange, go see how you feel.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/263192-what-happens-to-muscles-when-glucose-is-not-available/

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#15]
15 miles on the local trail system.  1:42 ride time.

I need to work on my speed.

New Shimano SLX brakes are the SCHIZNIT compared to my old Avid's.  So much modulation and power!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Bikes + Beer = Spellbound Century.
Nothing like a bike ride that ends at a brewery!
101 Miles 19.3 avg.
https://www.strava.com/activities/658972067#comments
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Apologies if this has been discussed already, but have any of you guys used the commercially available single speed conversion kits to make an old neglected MTB into an SS?

I've been shopping for a relatively inexpensive bike to ride with my wife and kids and occasionally hit a local paved bike path on my own for cardio. I'm drawn to the clean lines and simplicity of SS bikes, but most of the > $350 ss/fixie bikes I'm seeing are junk. I have a '97 Gary Fisher Wahoo in my basement that I bought new and put a ton of miles on, but it's so old and neglected that it would cost more to restore it to full functionality than it's worth. I could, however, easily justify the cost of converting it to a SS. It's currently sporting an old RST suspension fork, but i'd like to convert it back to a rigid to save some weight. I have a NIB Tioga threadless headset that I bought back in '98, so I just need a threadless fork with brake bosses and an inexpensive stem.

I already ordered a Forté single speed conversion kit from Amazon along with a chain whip, but I want to make sure I'm on the right path before I get too deep into this project.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Let's go riding, he said. It'll be fun, he said.

20 miles around town with a heat index of 105 was NOT fun.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Had a race yesterday, and ran into an issue I don't normally have.

After about 2.5 hours, my body rejected anything except water.  I had to pull out after 3:40 as I had no energy left.

What have you guys found that works in high heat and humidity?  For reference, I have been using Tailwind as I have issues with all the sugars in gels and chews during a 6 hour race.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Vacation, Cola Warrior, sales meeting, visiting Grandfather and another business trip = no riding for 2 weeks.

Now that Cola Warrior Texas is over it's time to work up to my first century in October.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Took a buddy and rode MST at Hanging Rock on Saturday and Warrior Creek yesterday. Really worn out. Hot as fuck and we sweated our asses off. Kinda miserable but we still had a great time.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Anybody here know anything about early 90's Clark Kent Ti frames?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Took a buddy and rode MST at Hanging Rock on Saturday and Warrior Creek yesterday. Really worn out. Hot as fuck and we sweated our asses off. Kinda miserable but we still had a great time.
View Quote

MST is pretty freaking cool.

Did you go CW or CCW?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might try the vintage, or "others" brands forums over at MTBR?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I didn't.  I was only really able to find info about their MTB frames and not so much on the road side.

I fo'd anyways.

1991 Ti frame.  all components replaced somewhere along the line.  Campy Centaur compact gruppo, Record hubs with Mavic open Pro wheels.

The frame welds look good with no discoloration on the inside.  The tubes sound good with no dead spots.  Took it on a 30 mile shakedown ride, and it rides pretty nice.

My buddy and I are going to do the 62 mile course of the Sunset Century in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally back in the saddle. 15 mile ride on the bike path yesterday on the Escape.

Plotting out my route for the weekly big ride tomorrow on the Scott. Might just end up making it up as I go along....which is usually about what happens.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No. I didn't.  I was only really able to find info about their MTB frames and not so much on the road side.

I fo'd anyways.

1991 Ti frame.  all components replaced somewhere along the line.  Campy Centaur compact gruppo, Record hubs with Mavic open Pro wheels.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dragoontwo/media/misc/IMG_20160819_174018.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/dragoontwo/misc/IMG_20160819_174018.jpg</a>

The frame welds look good with no discoloration on the inside.  The tubes sound good with no dead spots.  Took it on a 30 mile shakedown ride, and it rides pretty nice.

My buddy and I are going to do the 62 mile course of the Sunset Century in a couple weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fo'd anyways.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dragoontwo/media/misc/IMG_20160819_174018.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/dragoontwo/misc/IMG_20160819_174018.jpg</a>

That looks 100% badass.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Did you go CW or CCW?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you go CW or CCW?

CW; buddy got a pinch-flat about 3/4s of the way through, and then we're about a quarter-mile from the carpark and this dude and his chick were going CCW. They move out of the way, but as I'm pushing by, her bike rolls back onto the trail and I steer left to miss it; gravity grabs me and S-L-O-W-L-Y over the handlebars and into this little gulch I go. Bike comes flipping and flopping down onto my head but I'm fine; she's obviously freaked out. I climb back out with my wheels on my shoulder and head to the parking lot. When I get there, I dig out my phone and find the fucking screen all smashed up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Really nice ride this morning. Sunny, cool moving to warm and bike/legs felt great. Spent 81% of the ride in tempo or threshold heart-rate.

35.2 miles at 16.5mph avg.

Side note.....I always wondered what the 34 part was in the 50-34 crankset. Just droned away happily in the big ring. Since I was off the bike for two weeks I thought I'd try to smaller ring to save my legs. Holy mackerel what a difference.

Went faster, with less wear and tear and overall the ride felt great.

Wish you guys would have told me that thing was down there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Finally, finally able to go for a ride without suffocating in the heat and humidity this morning.  Nice, leisurely ride, no hurry, just tooling along enjoying the feeling of being back out riding.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

CW; buddy got a pinch-flat about 3/4s of the way through, and then we're about a quarter-mile from the carpark and this dude and his chick were going CCW. They move out of the way, but as I'm pushing by, her bike rolls back onto the trail and I steer left to miss it; gravity grabs me and S-L-O-W-L-Y over the handlebars and into this little gulch I go. Bike comes flipping and flopping down onto my head but I'm fine; she's obviously freaked out. I climb back out with my wheels on my shoulder and head to the parking lot. When I get there, I dig out my phone and find the fucking screen all smashed up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you go CW or CCW?

Did you clear the creek crossing?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Really nice ride this morning. Sunny, cool moving to warm and bike/legs felt great. Spent 81% of the ride in tempo or threshold heart-rate.

35.2 miles at 16.5mph avg.

Side note.....I always wondered what the 34 part was in the 50-34 crankset. Just droned away happily in the big ring. Since I was off the bike for two weeks I thought I'd try to smaller ring to save my legs. Holy mackerel what a difference.

Went faster, with less wear and tear and overall the ride felt great.

Wish you guys would have told me that thing was down there.
View Quote

1x is where it's at.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you go CW or CCW?

I've done it before but we didn't do it this past time. It was just SO fk'n hot, and after smashing my phone, I was just over it. We went up to Lower Cascade falls and played in the water to cool off before trucking over to Warrior.

On another note, my Shimano SLX brakes and new pedals worked gangbusters. Huge upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've done it before but we didn't do it this past time. It was just SO fk'n hot, and after smashing my phone, I was just over it. We went up to Lower Cascade falls and played in the water to cool off before trucking over to Warrior.

On another note, my Shimano SLX brakes and new pedals worked gangbusters. Huge upgrade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you go CW or CCW?

I can't remember if I've posted about all the upgrades I have done this year in here, but here goes

RaceFace Turbine wide bar
70mm stem
SLX brakes
XT 1x11 drive train (using a WolfTooth 32 ring on my RF Deus cranks)
XT M8000 pedals

It's almost like having a new bike.  Handles SOOOOOO much better with the longer bars and shorter stem, and the 1x is PERFECT.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That looks 100% badass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fo'd anyways.

That looks 100% badass.

Thanks.

I'm just starting out on the road side, and I came across the bike on the local craigslist just browsing.

Now i just need to get the seat, bars, and shoes figured out for myself.  Using my mtb shoes and shorts for now like a heathen.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#36]
What are the opinions on the Fuji Traverse 1.7 or 1.9?  I don't remember exactly which model it was that I looked at but it was one of those.  There seems to be a lack of reviews on these models.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#37]
2:04:00 on the road bike.

16.96mph average, 35.05 miles

Hoping to get another 2 hours in tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Changed the rear sprocket on my SS from a 20 tooth, to a 19 tooth. Running 32/19 now.

I gotta say, I like it a lot. Rode the same hilly park by my house, and actually PR'd a couple of climbs. upped my average speed a little bit, too!! Was scared to make the change, but I'm glad I did. Some day, I'll get my fat ass skinny enough to push 32/18 like all the cool kids, are riding!!

STRAVA
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Reeeally wanting to go FS 27.5"+ and from 1x10 to 1x11...
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Broke my seat post at mile 32.7 of 35.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did half of that ..about the same speed...but I turned 51 today so the wifey took all the strength out of my legs..
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Reeeally wanting to go FS 27.5"+ and from 1x10 to 1x11...
View Quote

1x11 is AWESOME

Go with the 11 - 46 and you can push a decently big ring.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Did half of that ..about the same speed...but I turned 51 today so the wifey took all the strength out of my legs..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#44]
6 Hours of Dark Mountain today.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#46]
55 miles at 16mpg/avg.

1440feet of elevation and stayed in Tempo and Threshold heart-rate for 70% of the ride.

I never did feel great on the bike but was able to keep going. The goal for today was distance over speed so I just kept at it.

I did notice that if I didn't pay attention to my gears, and got out-of-whack so that I was spinning too fast, my heart-rate would shoot up quickly. So oddly, a  harder gear kept me from blowing up.

Overall just glad to get time in the saddle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

CRUSH!
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

CRUSH!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CRUSH!

I got crushed.

Badly.

It's hard to fake it when you haven't been riding.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I got crushed.

Badly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRUSH!

I got crushed.

Badly.

110% factual statement.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top