[#1]
wellalrightythen
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wellalrightythen
View Quote
I think there might be two IIRC. Look for the one located in West Des Moines, Iowa.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Finished the year strong with a 2-hr ride in 39F light rain and 15mph north wind. Rule 5. Looking forward to 2018. Anyone interested in an AFCOM Strava group?
View Quote
Arfcom Strava group

Strava geeks post up those end of year compilations

2017 RESULTS
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Jeeze, mine is on the trainer.  I am going to use it now.  It is too damn cold out to ride outside right now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think there might be two IIRC. Look for the one located in West Des Moines, Iowa.
View Quote
Thanks. I actually found 3 on Strava for cycling. Some folks based in San Angelo were kind enough to add me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I took my kids to the local bike shop to get them some more appropriate bikes for their age and size. Ended up getting myself a new commuter bike to bring to work. I started doing that last year on my mountain bike, but even after swapping the tires out for touring tires and getting the knobby off road tires replaced, it was still a bitch to push that bike, and I kind of gave up on it. So I'll be back at it with a new Giant Escape 2. Much easier rolling and a lot more gettyup than my mountain bike. I had the shop add a rack and trunk bag for my lunch and work gear, and I'm all set. Looking forward to putting a lot of miles on this new rig.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I took my kids to the local bike shop to get them some more appropriate bikes for their age and size. Ended up getting myself a new commuter bike to bring to work. I started doing that last year on my mountain bike, but even after swapping the tires out for touring tires and getting the knobby off road tires replaced, it was still a bitch to push that bike, and I kind of gave up on it. So I'll be back at it with a new Giant Escape 2. Much easier rolling and a lot more gettyup than my mountain bike. I had the shop add a rack and trunk bag for my lunch and work gear, and I'm all set. Looking forward to putting a lot of miles on this new rig.
View Quote
An Escape2 was my first nice bike after I got back into riding and endured a year on a WalMart Special. Love it.

While 99% of my miles are on my road bike now the hybrid is a great family/casual ride option.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:33:59 AM EDT
[#8]
4 commute days in on my new bike, and I'm already looking at ways to add some mileage to my route without getting into shitty traffic. A couple other guys at work commute by bike, and they're egging me on to join some road bike club and put on serious miles. Maybe once I get a few pounds off. So far, I'm seeing the bike to work as a pretty good thing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Have been Zwifting hard given winter and work travel schedule.

Have been doing a lot of sweet-spot and intervals.

I’ve changed up to every other day bike workouts with either core or upper body strength on the alternate days.  Been doing more 45-90min work outs to try to build/maintain endurance in the absence of actual road miles.

Holy crap I feel so much more powerful and my watts/kg and average speeds are going way up.

We’ll see if it translates to the road. Just signed up for my first few rides of the year.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought my son (12) a Salsa Timberjack for Christmas. I bought myself a Jamis. It's amazing what a quality bike can do. We have tons of single track here. Today we rode 5 miles. Somehow I ended up flying past my handle bars. Bruised and beat but ready to ride again Tuesday on my day off.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have been Zwifting hard given winter and work travel schedule.

Have been doing a lot of sweet-spot and intervals.

I’ve changed up to every other day bike workouts with either core or upper body strength on the alternate days.  Been doing more 45-90min work outs to try to build/maintain endurance in the absence of actual road miles.

Holy crap I feel so much more powerful and my watts/kg and average speeds are going way up.

We’ll see if it translates to the road. Just signed up for my first few rides of the year.
View Quote
Yeah I've been zwifting for the past few months while its been freezing outside....crazy to see Canvendish and Greipel on there a lot.. I've been working out with weights twice a weeks on my quads and hamstrings ..If i can get my weight to about 155 I'll be happy (163 now)
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Winter has no hold over me!

And now it won't snow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Believe it, or not, this morning was my first actual road ride of the year. Between bad weather and travel it's the first time I could hit the road. Been zwifting like mad so it was good to actually ride.

Only got in 28miles or so but focused on hills and smashing it hard/pseudo-intervals. I was going to go for easy miles but went hard instead.

Also, went with 90psi in the front 28C and 100psi rear. It might have been my imagination but the bike felt/rode much better than 100/100.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Believe it, or not, this morning was my first actual road ride of the year. Between bad weather and travel it's the first time I could hit the road. Been zwifting like mad so it was good to actually ride.

Only got in 28miles or so but focused on hills and smashing it hard/pseudo-intervals. I was going to go for easy miles but went hard instead.

Also, went with 90psi in the front 28C and 100psi rear. It might have been my imagination but the bike felt/rode much better than 100/100.
View Quote
I don't believe it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#15]
From two days ago. Wanted to do a century but all sorts of delays forced me into a 100k ride.
Everything held up well except for my knees.

Yeah, the bike is almost 40 years old.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From two days ago. Wanted to do a century but all sorts of delays forced me into a 100k ride.
https://i.imgur.com/O6QDkY6.png
https://i.imgur.com/ql9H0yW.jpg
View Quote
Nice job!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I rode only 4 miles but probably burned 5000 calories slogging through the slush. Beats sitting on the couch!

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice job!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/O6QDkY6.png
https://i.imgur.com/ql9H0yW.jpg
Nice job!
Totally!

Damn Gary, you make me want to do that...

Winter up here was rough this year.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I rode only 4 miles but probably burned 5000 calories slogging through the slush. Beats sitting on the couch!

https://i.imgur.com/yn5K7kr.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Got an epic ride in on Monday with lots of vert.  Even with the pedal assist my heart rate was above 170 and I was soaked with sweat - temp was 20 degrees.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been targeting an FTP increase from 189 up to 200 before the ride season really gets going (which is about this time of year).

I've been doing tons of intervals and targeted training, and taking a rest day between most sessions to avoid over training.

Getting a little frustrated that my FTP isn't going up. I did Zwift 3x15minute FTP session this morning. The first 15minutes I was consistently above 190+ which is good. Faded in the last few minutes of the 2nd 15 but was generally above 190 the entire block. 3rd 15minute block I was around 160-170 and overall average was only 148. Not worried about the average but even my 20minute best for the ride was only in the 154-170 range.

I did spend 18minutes between 175-199 which isn't horrible, I suppose.

Maybe I need to get away from the trainer and just ride. :/
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have been targeting an FTP increase from 189 up to 200 before the ride season really gets going (which is about this time of year).

I've been doing tons of intervals and targeted training, and taking a rest day between most sessions to avoid over training.

Getting a little frustrated that my FTP isn't going up. I did Zwift 3x15minute FTP session this morning. The first 15minutes I was consistently above 190+ which is good. Faded in the last few minutes of the 2nd 15 but was generally above 190 the entire block. 3rd 15minute block I was around 160-170 and overall average was only 148. Not worried about the average but even my 20minute best for the ride was only in the 154-170 range.

View Quote
Some IRL rides may get you back in the swing of things...A few of the things I'm trying on Zwift (too soon to tell if its working) I'm doing the 4 week program and moving the setting up 4-5 watts after finishing a week..I'm also doing some weights ...squats with dumbells and some quad/hamstring work with the bench attachment.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Totally!

Damn Gary, you make me want to do that...

Winter up here was rough this year.
View Quote
Here are some of the secrets about this ride.
Prevailing winds are easterly this time of year. I think they were about 7mph from the SE. So yeah, flat except for a couple of bridges with a following wind. Destination is one hell of a place to visit. Just try to arrive before dusk, all the performers get going at Mallory Square then.
Oh, the scenery is unsurpassed. I really can't think of a better place for a mid winter ride.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Some IRL rides may get you back in the swing of things...A few of the things I'm trying on Zwift (too soon to tell if its working) I'm doing the 4 week program and moving the setting up 4-5 watts after finishing a week..I'm also doing some weights ...squats with dumbells and some quad/hamstring work with the bench attachment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have also been doing a lot of core work and upper body weights to build my foundation.

Maybe I'm just able to eek out an FTP of 189 and thats it
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Nothing like Moab in February.

Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
JEALOUS!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Ice is finally melting off the trails. Looking forward to getting back on my bike.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm at about 180 lbs and with 25c tires that work out to about 28mm on 17mm inner width rims-just dropped down to 80/85 PSI from 85/90 PSI and it was a big improvement in road comfort and cornering grip.  Power delivery also seems better as the rear wheel maintains better contact with the ground.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm at about 180 lbs and with 25c tires that work out to about 28mm on 17mm inner width rims-just dropped down to 80/85 PSI from 85/90 PSI and it was a big improvement in road comfort and cornering grip.  Power delivery also seems better as the rear wheel maintains better contact with the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hummm...that is interesting. We have realatively smooth roads so I’ve always gone higher PSI. Might have to try 80PSI range this weekend. I would have thought that would make you go slower.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hummm...that is interesting. We have realatively smooth roads so I’ve always gone higher PSI. Might have to try 80PSI range this weekend. I would have thought that would make you go slower.
View Quote
The more pressure equals less rolling resistance theory has been shot down. From what I remember reading, the biggest factor is the small bumps and road imperfections, where the softer tire absorbs the impacts. The harder tire doesn't absorb the impacts as well and they slow it down. The speed difference is minimal, the benefits are better handling and smoother ride. Just beware of pinch flats.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The more pressure equals less rolling resistance theory has been shot down. From what I remember reading, the biggest factor is the small bumps and road imperfections, where the softer tire absorbs the impacts. The harder tire doesn't absorb the impacts as well and they slow it down. The speed difference is minimal, the benefits are better handling and smoother ride. Just beware of pinch flats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hummm...that is interesting. We have realatively smooth roads so I've always gone higher PSI. Might have to try 80PSI range this weekend. I would have thought that would make you go slower.
The wider (at least 17mm inner vs. the old 15mm standard) rims really seem to minimize pinch flats-probably jinxing myself, but I haven't pinch flatted in the last two years since I made the change over.  Currently, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on this build kit to go a little wider.

http://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY%20Alloy%20Road%20Wheel%20Kit%20III.asp
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
My power numbers are never close, when comparing indoors to outdoors.

I just got myself another power meter for Xmas this year. First 5 rides were indoors, and my FTP showed to be ~179 or so. Got in some nice outdoor rides, and it shot up to 217. I'm down from about the 260 I was at a year ago. I've got a ways to go!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#33]
This has been one of the best years for biking in a long time, unfortunately the skiing sucked up until a couple weeks ago.

Link Posted: 3/22/2018 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Built up my new Chinese carbon road frame on a snow day-just a hair under 17lbs as built.

Link Posted: 3/22/2018 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This has been one of the best years for biking in a long time, unfortunately the skiing sucked up until a couple weeks ago.

https://i.imgur.com/7Yfviec.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RpaXTk8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DIUkLmW.jpg
View Quote
I'm getting ready to pulling the trigger on one of those.  Don't think i'll be springing for the carbon wheels as much as I'd like to.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm getting ready to pulling the trigger on one of those.  Don't think i'll be springing for the carbon wheels as much as I'd like to.
View Quote
This has been one of, if not the best, bikes I’ve owned. It goes up the XC trails almost as good as my 25lbs. Fuel ex8 but when those trails point down it absolutely crushes the Trek. The downhill/bike park jumps and drops that used to be reserved to my V10, are now accessible by means other than hike a bike and chairlifts.

The carbon wheels are nice, but not necessary. The X2 upgrade is well worth the extra money and I would highly recommend it if you plan on riding really technical trails or hitting larger jumps and drops.

Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#37]
April snow showers = Fat bike

Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Finally got out on a demo Mach 5.5 today.  This spring has been brutal with how wet and cool it has been.  Our trails are so high traffic if they get ridden when they are muddy it just trashes them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I am looking for a bike I am looking at a Motobecane Fantom29 trail, Trek Marlin 5 and 6, and the Cannondale trail 5.  Are they all pretty much the same. I was looking at Specialized but the trek entry line costs less. It is for riding the streets and paths in the Gulf Shores State Park, no jumps or any racing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am looking for a bike I am looking at a Motobecane Fantom29 trail, Trek Marlin 5 and 6, and the Cannondale trail 5.  Are they all pretty much the same. I was looking at Specialized but the trek entry line costs less. It is for riding the streets and paths in the Gulf Shores State Park, no jumps or any racing.
View Quote
The trail 5 isn't too bad.  It's still a 1x drive train, and has ok components.   It has good geometry if you're just wanting to pedal around.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The trail 5 isn't too bad.  It's still a 1x drive train, and has ok components.   It has good geometry if you're just wanting to pedal around.
View Quote
There were 2 models of Specialized bikes I was looking at also roll spirit and the MB one that is 500 busk or so. I like the look of the Marlin and Trail, they look like the same bike but with a different brand on it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There were 2 models of Specialized bikes I was looking at also roll spirit and the MB one that is 500 busk or so. I like the look of the Marlin and Trail, they look like the same bike but with a different brand on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really comes down to what components are on it and how you'll ride it.  I'm only familiar with the trail because I got back into riding on one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most, name brand, entry level bikes have pretty much the same entry level components. I would base my decision on which brand you like the best and which bike you find the most aesthetically pleasing. They will all be pretty much the same bike and they are probably all capable of what you are looking for. Personally I like the look of the Trek the best.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#44]
After training hard all winter, I made my goal of averaging 17+ mph for a full century.

Also got my first cycling related injury: shin splints.

2 weeks off the bike.

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
After training hard all winter, I made my goal of averaging 17+ mph for a full century.

Also got my first cycling related injury: shin splints.

2 weeks off the bike.

View Quote
good job!
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got this and have ridden the past 3 days.  Really need to get in better shape, but want to see how many miles I can get on it this year.  It's definitely the most fun bike I've ridden and beats me up a lot less than a hardtail.

Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just got this and have ridden the past 3 days.  Really need to get in better shape, but want to see how many miles I can get on it this year.  It's definitely the most fun bike I've ridden and beats me up a lot less than a hardtail.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222979/IMG_2625_2-539025.jpg
View Quote
Sweet!
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Got in a little over 25 miles today. 3.5 hours and 3800’ of climbing that I am paying for tonight, for the sweet decent.

Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Decided I needed to get off my butt and go ride.

Dusted off the old MBs, quickly realized I needed some new gear.

Bought my wife a Giant Rove. She loves it. She is not into down hill, but we do enjoy some fire roads and mild single track stuff.

I bought a Giant Anthem. Fits me well, and is great for my kind of riding with some great trails mixed with some down hill mixed it.

Did 20 miles of urban riding today, going to hit the trails tomorrow
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top