User Panel

Page / 55
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so I have been putting about 40-50 miles a week on my bike, finally bought a road bike a few weeks back.   Bought a Giant Contend 1.   Got a question on apps, I have been using both Strava and mapmyride.   I like the distance updates over my headphones on mapmyride, but like the iwatch heartrate of Strave.  Is there a way to make strava update over my headphones each mile?
View Quote
No idea.  I use Cyclemeter which I have set to call out speed, heart rate, mileage every 10 minutes.  It uploads to Strava when I'm done.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
so I have been putting about 40-50 miles a week on my bike, finally bought a road bike a few weeks back.   Bought a Giant Contend 1.   Got a question on apps, I have been using both Strava and mapmyride.   I like the distance updates over my headphones on mapmyride, but like the iwatch heartrate of Strave.  Is there a way to make strava update over my headphones each mile?
View Quote
I have a Garmin 500 edge on my handlebars (bought used for $50) it shows HR, Speed, Power in Watts, Mileage, with dozens more options . On long rides/races it dings me every 15min so I don't forget to keep drinking.. Screens are customizeable and it will feed your Strava..The only thing I hear from Strava if I'm wearing bluetooth headphoines is "start your ride"
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
downloading now
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No idea.  I use Cyclemeter which I have set to call out speed, heart rate, mileage every 10 minutes.  It uploads to Strava when I'm done.
downloading now
Go ahead and pay the $10 yearly to get the Elite version.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It might hurt a little but I get to enjoy some beautiful scenery regardless.

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#8]
23mi in the county on a previously unridden route.  Sun was a bit more intense than I expected, and I forgot the sunscreen and leg coolers(sun sleeves).  I did remember the arm coolers though!  Heat and humidity took more out of me than I expected too, as I ended up napping a couple hours this afternoon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Bikes Blues & Bayous: Greenwood MS

60miles of flat beautiful riding on a nice warm upper 80s day with manageable humidity.

17.3mph/avg

Great day working with two other solid riders.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It might hurt a little but I get to enjoy some beautiful scenery regardless.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170802/rqudj3e6.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful. This is what I like about riding, getting out and enjoying the scenery.  I rode the Wekiva forest this morning.  Saw 3 young bucks playing.  Got within 20y of them and they just stared at me.  not gonna lie, made me a little bit hungry, lol.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#11]
2.8 miles in 10 minutes on my road bike on rollers in my basement.

It's something.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
25 miles yesterday. 16.8mph/avg and I focused on what counts as "hills" here in coastal Mississippi. Short little rollers really. I was tired after traveling all week and a couple hotel bike sessions to boot. Focused on really working the gears and pacing.

18 miles this morning on Zwift. 17.9mph/avg 154watts weight avg power on the McCarthy Special training session. I did ok until the last interval of 3minutes at 230watts. My FTP is only 190 so between already being 56minutes into the workput plus everything above I exploded with about a minute to go.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
25 miles yesterday. 16.8mph/avg and I focused on what counts as "hills" here in coastal Mississippi. Short little rollers really. I was tired after traveling all week and a couple hotel bike sessions to boot. Focused on really working the gears and pacing.

18 miles this morning on Zwift. 17.9mph/avg 154watts weight avg power on the McCarthy Special training session. I did ok until the last interval of 3minutes at 230watts. My FTP is only 190 so between already being 56minutes into the workput plus everything above I exploded with about a minute to go.
View Quote
I'm doing the 4 week FTP Builder..I just finished week 2..I'm set at 230 so its giving me 3-4min intervals at 290w...yeah I understand how it feels ..3 fans going and still a big puddle under the bike when you are done..I have a short time trial that I'm going to try next month so I'm hoping that will help
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Got out for a 47 miler today.

I should have worked up to it as my legs exploded around hour #2.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Been so busy and hot around here haven't ridden much.  Been trying to talk myself into a new hybrid.  Finally yesterday said screw it and jumped on my f/s mountain bike.  Ran air pressures  high and locked out suspension.  Road a little over 10 miles through "town" and was pretty surprised how well it did.  Looking at some longer rides around now.

Maybe my new favorite road bike is a Cannondale f/s.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Been so busy and hot around here haven't ridden much.  Been trying to talk myself into a new hybrid.  Finally yesterday said screw it and jumped on my f/s mountain bike.  Ran air pressures  high and locked out suspension.  Road a little over 10 miles through "town" and was pretty surprised how well it did.  Looking at some longer rides around now.

Maybe my new favorite road bike is a Cannondale f/s.  
View Quote

I put LOTS of miles on my old hardtail on the road.  Works very well and kept the gearing the same as my f/s when I was on the trails.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I put LOTS of miles on my old hardtail on the road.  Works very well and kept the gearing the same as my f/s when I was on the trails.
View Quote
Reminds me though, when and why did bar ends stop being a thing?  I miss them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bar ends went away with the advent of the riser bar, if I remember correctly. Maybe wider, rider bars??
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think when bars started getting wider, but I have never used them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Haven't had a mountain bike since the 90s...

Who's doing 27.5 and who's doing the standard 29?

I'm looking for a hardtail for mostly swoopy trails, but a little rocky-rooty switchbacks.

Argue me the attributes please.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm looking for a hardtail for mostly swoopy trails, but a little rocky-rooty switchbacks.

View Quote
Biggest determining factor might be your height. Short folks just don't fit on 29ers well. It's best if you can demo some bikes on trails, not just ride around the parking lot at the bike shop.

I went for the plush 27.5 plus full suspension route. Not the fastest set of wheels but super fun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Biggest determining factor might be your height. Short folks just don't fit on 29ers well. It's best if you can demo some bikes on trails, not just ride around the parking lot at the bike shop.

I went for the plush 27.5 plus full suspension route. Not the fastest set of wheels but super fun.
View Quote
I am 5'11"

I am leaning towards 27.5, but yeah, I haven't done any test riding yet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Got some decent miles in this morning.

Had the rear presta valve nut come loose and start rattling like mad towards the end of the ride. Thought I was going to go insane until I figured out what it was. The bike went from nearly silent to rattling like the Sanford & Son's truck on a gravel road almost instantly.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just got into cycling and stumbled into this thread.  I ended up getting a hardtail 29" I ride an XL frame so the size isn't an issue at all, and it seems to handle quite well.  The rear chain stay is about as short as it can be on the bike I got so that seems to help.  It rolls nicely and climbs very well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Did 50 miles for the first time today. I'm exhausted, but it was worth it!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I got out for the first time in a bit today, knocked out 30 on the road bike. Still a little warm (winter is riding season in AZ) but fine when you are moving.

Going to try to get out some more, I'm put on some pudge over the summer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:46:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Forgot my phone (which I use as my bike computer) so I have no idea how fast or exactly how far I rode today.  I guesstimate it was about 15 miles on the mtb, but no idea elapsed time as I didn't bother to check what time it was when I started.

Had a blast, though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I got out for the first time in a bit today, knocked out 30 on the road bike. Still a little warm (winter is riding season in AZ) but fine when you are moving.

View Quote
You and me both!! It's been too hot to ride, and after the MTB series this winter, there was some serious riding burn out!! Going out to Browns Ranch tomorrow on the single speed MTB, to try and get motivated to ride again!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You and me both!! It's been too hot to ride, and after the MTB series this winter, there was some serious riding burn out!! Going out to Browns Ranch tomorrow on the single speed MTB, to try and get motivated to ride again!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to google where that was. Man, that's north. (I'm waaay out east from your perspective)

I'm going to try to hit the Roady again tomorrow, and then since I'm working from Home Monday waiting for the Washing machine repair guy, I'll probably hit some of the Hawes trails on the 1x11 in the early AM.

(Yeah, I'm saying this so I actually do it... )
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had to google where that was. Man, that's north. (I'm waaay out east from your perspective)

I'm going to try to hit the Roady again tomorrow, and then since I'm working from Home Monday waiting for the Washing machine repair guy, I'll probably hit some of the Hawes trails on the 1x11 in the early AM.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually live way out east, in San Tan Valley!! We just met some friends up there this morning. We usually ride San Tan Park, Hawes, or DC after work when it's not so hot. I'm gonna have to get back on my roady, too. I'm so out of shape, it's not funny!!

Today's ride
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I actually live way out east, in San Tan Valley!! We just met some friends up there this morning. We usually ride San Tan Park, Hawes, or DC after work when it's not so hot. I'm gonna have to get back on my roady, too. I'm so out of shape, it's not funny!!

Today's ride
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today's ride
That's WAY east. I'm an easy ride to Hawes.

It was raining when I woke up today.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just went through this.  The truth is, it is like asking 9MM or 45.  Truth is it largely depends on the bike and if really want a HT or FS. 

27.5 tends to accelerate and turn a bit faster and feels a bit more like a 26. 

29 tends to run over stuff better and is a little faster in straight lines. 

The kicker comes when you start talking FS.  A 29 FS is a pretty big bike. 

FWIW I ended up with a 27.5 FS bike.  I liked the quicker handling.  The FS has made riding a lot more enjoyable than I thought.

Before you decide, some bikes can be swapped back and forth now.  Then there is the 27.5+ and the 29+. 
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I got out a little bit too late today.

1st 20 miles went well. Average temperature 87F.

2nd 20 miles went poorly. Average temperature 101F.

I slowed down a bit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#34]
saw some of my local clubs got down to Texas to do the HHH ...congrats to anyone here that tried/finished ...

Its funny how Strava shows your wattage without a power meter if you are riding in a big pack with 12 or so of your closest Cat 3 friends..The guys riding with power meters show 150-175 watts avg for the trip at maybe 24mph...but for those in the same group that aren't using an actual power meter Strava calculates you are pushing 300 watts in order to get that type of speed.

Pack riding gives you the advantage of about 100-125watts...amazing
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey guys, be careful out there. On Thursday I was hit from behind by a car at 30 miles an hour while riding single file and within a foot from the shoulder, far right. All I remember is suddenly rolling upon the hood of a car. Luckily it threw me off the road into a plush patch of grass. Besides being sore and stiff, I have no known injuries. My Giant Propel however is totalled. The guy was not going to stop and when the friend I was riding with saw me stand up, he chased him down and forced him to stop. 86 years old, completely in lala land. My friend told him to stay while he came back to me but he left the scene. We had a picture of his plate. He later told the officers he saw us, got over, then hit a pothole so he pulled off the road. I guess I was the pothole. So far I have not been able to file a claim to replace the bike because the insurance company he produced a card for has no record of him. The responding officer will follow up next week.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hey guys, be careful out there. On Thursday I was hit from behind by a car at 30 miles an hour while riding single file and within a foot from the shoulder, far right. All I remember is suddenly rolling upon the hood of a car. Luckily it threw me off the road into a plush patch of grass. Besides being sore and stiff, I have no known injuries. My Giant Propel however is totalled. The guy was not going to stop and when the friend I was riding with saw me stand up, he chased him down and forced him to stop. 86 years old, completely in lala land. My friend told him to stay while he came back to me but he left the scene. We had a picture of his plate. He later told the officers he saw us, got over, then hit a pothole so he pulled off the road. I guess I was the pothole. So far I have not been able to file a claim to replace the bike because the insurance company he produced a card for has no record of him. The responding officer will follow up next week.
View Quote
holy shit...glad you are OK ..hope you get made whole on the bike
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn!

Glad you're OK!
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn!

Word of advice: Always, Always, ALWAYS TAKE THE AMBULANCE RIDE!

You will find it a millions times easier to settle after you have had a trip to the hospital.

Glad you lived to tell the tale
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Damn!

Lord of advice: Always, Always, ALWAYS TAKE THE AMBULANCE RIDE!

You will find it a millions times easier to settle after you have had a trip to the hospital.

Glad you lived to tell the tale
View Quote
Looking back I definitely regret not doing exactly that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jesus.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Just went through this.  The truth is, it is like asking 9MM or 45.  Truth is it largely depends on the bike and if really want a HT or FS. 

27.5 tends to accelerate and turn a bit faster and feels a bit more like a 26. 

29 tends to run over stuff better and is a little faster in straight lines. 

The kicker comes when you start talking FS.  A 29 FS is a pretty big bike. 

FWIW I ended up with a 27.5 FS bike.  I liked the quicker handling.  The FS has made riding a lot more enjoyable than I thought.

Before you decide, some bikes can be swapped back and forth now.  Then there is the 27.5+ and the 29+. 
View Quote
Thanks for the input.

I still haven't made it out for test rides.  I'm stuck in a road training regiment due to multiple September events.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input.

I still haven't made it out for test rides.  I'm stuck in a road training regiment due to multiple September events.
View Quote
If you live close enough to a bike shop that does demo or test rides, take full advantage of that to help make your decision.

It really is a personal preference thing.

I have 27.5 on my Specialized hardtail XL frame, and it sits me at the same height as a 29er.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Our local sunrise century got cancelled because of flooded roads.

So let's do a 50 mile ride with about 3,000 ft of climbing he says.  

Turned out to be 3,800 ft.  

Relive
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Relive
View Quote
Nice! I love those Relive videos.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h52/flanntastic/aim/C242DA11-E526-48A8-8563-BAE60E0473E7_zpsrucwi1un.png

so my cyclemeter shows weird stuff, my calories are out of wack and my speed is weird
View Quote
Are you using any sensors, or just the built in GPS on your phone?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Relive
Yeah, sweet video.

Animal route.
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top