Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 55
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Put some 27.5 by 2.3 up from 2.1 on the hard rock.  I find myself going faster a bit easier now.  I just need to get better at not being so scared of downhill sharp turns on the trail.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Alright folks, I am more confused than a baby in a topless bar.  I *need* a new mountain bike.  I have been looking and ridden a number of bikes and am pretty settled on the 27.5 dual suspension.  My main interest is single track and around the mountain riding.  I am too damn old for downhill stuff. 

I liked the Giant Stance I rode, it just seemed a bit soft.  I rode a Scott and really liked the suspension lockout but didn't like the way it rode unlocked. 

If you were going to spend 3Kish on a new mountain bike what would you buy?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alright folks, I am more confused than a baby in a topless bar.  I *need* a new mountain bike.  I have been looking and ridden a number of bikes and am pretty settled on the 27.5 dual suspension.  My main interest is single track and around the mountain riding.  I am too damn old for downhill stuff. 

I liked the Giant Stance I rode, it just seemed a bit soft.  I rode a Scott and really liked the suspension lockout but didn't like the way it rode unlocked. 

If you were going to spend 3Kish on a new mountain bike what would you buy?
View Quote

If you like the Giant Stance, why not look and see if you can get parts to tune the suspension to your liking?

It may be as simple as setting the correct sag for your weight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you like the Giant Stance, why not look and see if you can get parts to tune the suspension to your liking?

It may be as simple as setting the correct sag for your weight.
View Quote

It is an option.  They are even offering a pretty decent deal, but it is a 2016 model. 2017 has a nicer trunion shock mount. 
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't feeling well this morning so was afraid to go on real ride for fear of having to poop myself 30 miles in. Did Zwift - Watopia - VO2 & AC session instead plus rode some extra endurance ride also. 22miles total with 26% of the ride at threshold power and above. 20% at tempo and 33% at endurance power. 57% of the session at tempo or threshold heart rate.

I've scheduled two 80 mile rides and a century in April. Not sure why all the organized rides fell together in April, but I figured it was a good way to kick off the riding season.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wasn't feeling well this morning so was afraid to go on real ride for fear of having to poop myself 30 miles in. Did Zwift - Watopia - VO2 & AC session instead plus rode some extra endurance ride also. 22miles total with 26% of the ride at threshold power and above. 20% at tempo and 33% at endurance power. 57% of the session at tempo or threshold heart rate.

I've scheduled two 80 mile rides and a century in April. Not sure why all the organized rides fell together in April, but I figured it was a good way to kick off the riding season.
View Quote

Funny you should mention that....My cardio guy prescribed beta blockers when I was first discovered to have BP problems 5 years ago..Since then I've learned to eat right and ride a bunch (dropped 75lbs)  but I rarely top 155 bpm while on Beta Blockers ..so my chart is mostly zone 2 with some time in Zone 3 during a fairly hard ride.   A week and a half ago I told my cardiologist I wanted to stop taking beta Blockers..he said sure as along as I take a diary of BP readings and fax them in.  BP has stayed low but my Heart Rate analysis has gotten "interesting"   Here's what it looks like on Zwift a few days ago...Riding on the road gets similar results.  Most of my rides are between 155-162bpm during the whole ride now ...My Zone calculations are based on the fact that I'm 50yo   (220-age=max HR)  not sure what to make of it

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Since you obviously have a HR monitor and are in decent shape, why don't you do a 30 minute LTHR test and figure out what your zones really should be?  The 220-age equation may be right on or way off, depending on the individual, but it is in no way accurate.  You'll have a lot better idea of where your zones fall.

I'm on a beta blocker because my resting HR is higher than the EP and cardiologist like.  My max HR last year was 191 (pretty strong I think for a 47 yo on BBlockers), and my LTHR was measured at 158 about a year ago.  I need to run the 30 minute test again, since I'm hopefully in better shape.  It's about right, though because I can avg a hair over 150 over 2-3 hrs.

ETA: I have a recumbent trainer, and I run significantly lower HR when using it than riding in the real world, for whatever reason (i.e., doing hard intervals, I have a really hard time getting over 150 bpm)
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since you obviously have a HR monitor and are in decent shape, why don't you do a 30 minute LTHR test and figure out what your zones really should be?  The 220-age equation may be right on or way off, depending on the individual, but it is in no way accurate.  You'll have a lot better idea of where your zones fall.

I'm on a beta blocker because my resting HR is higher than the EP and cardiologist like.  My max HR last year was 191 (pretty strong I think for a 47 yo on BBlockers), and my LTHR was measured at 158 about a year ago.  I need to run the 30 minute test again, since I'm hopefully in better shape.  It's about right, though because I can avg a hair over 150 over 2-3 hrs.

ETA: I have a recumbent trainer, and I run significantly lower HR when using it than riding in the real world, for whatever reason (i.e., doing hard intervals, I have a really hard time getting over 150 bpm)
View Quote

Thanks for the tip..I'll try that this week
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Rode a Cannondale Habit 4 today and I was surprised how much I liked it.

Is the Revelation RL fork a big upgrade over the Recon Gold?

Is the SLX stuff generally GTG?  Deore brakes on the 4, the 5 has cheaper M477. 
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the Cannondale Habit followed me home tonight.  Managed a decent deal on it and I liked the way it rode.  Hopefully tomorrow I can make it out to some trails.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Broke a spoke nipple toward the end of an 18 mile road ride.

Spoke didn't come out of the wheel until it was pulled on.  

Hopefully the other ones doing start popping, too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Regarding bluetooth speakers -

Does anyone have one they've mounted to their bike? Any model preferable or to be avoided?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Regarding bluetooth speakers -

Does anyone have one they've mounted to their bike? Any model preferable or to be avoided?
View Quote
Scosche Boombottle looks nice, but I have no personal experience with it. I do have their Rhythm+ HR monitor and quality and support have been great.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Aluminum nipples?  Mtn bike running tubeless?

I broke 3 when bike was between 1 and 1.5 years old.  It seems the nipple/spoke interface wasn't prepped well, bike shop said tubeless fluid could have had an effect, and the spokes are shorter than they should be for the rim. Giant Anthem stock rims.

I replaced all the nipples on the rear wheel...a bunch of them were deteriorated enough that they weren't far from breaking.  I need to do the front wheel, too, but will likely wait until I'm inconvenienced by a broken one.  Replaced with brass so I didn't have to replace the spokes, too.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Aluminum nipples?  Mtn bike running tubeless?

I broke 3 when bike was between 1 and 1.5 years old.  It seems the nipple/spoke interface wasn't prepped well, bike shop said tubeless fluid could have had an effect, and the spokes are shorter than they should be for the rim. Giant Anthem stock rims.

I replaced all the nipples on the rear wheel...a bunch of them were deteriorated enough that they weren't far from breaking.  I need to do the front wheel, too, but will likely wait until I'm inconvenienced by a broken one.  Replaced with brass so I didn't have to replace the spokes, too.
View Quote
Yes aluminum nipples, but on my road bike.  My tubeless mtn wheels don't thread the spokes into the rim.  The components on the road bike look like they come from 2006, but I'm not sure how many miles were put on it before I got it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I am in for a world of hurt tomorrow. 83 mile metric and I'm so not ready.

I was having a great offseason. Zwifting like mad and watching the FTP rise. I think I might have started over training so I backed off a touch. No biggie.

Then the past month Ive been traveling like mad for work and sick for the past 3 weeks with a nagging crud I can't shake.

Short story, I was going to do gradually longer rides with a goal of doing in the 60ish range prior as a warmup. Instead, I haven't done any endurance work at all and I am winded after 8 miles this morning.

I have some sort of respiratory crap that I just can't shake and my muscles feel weak and achy.

Just cleaned and lubed the bike. Tonight I'll get all my gear organized. We'll see how tomorrow goes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am in for a world of hurt tomorrow. 83 mile metric and I'm so not ready.

I was having a great offseason. Zwifting like mad and watching the FTP rise. I think I might have started over training so I backed off a touch. No biggie.

Then the past month Ive been traveling like mad for work and sick for the past 3 weeks with a nagging crud I can't shake.

Short story, I was going to do gradually longer rides with a goal of doing in the 60ish range prior as a warmup. Instead, I haven't done any endurance work at all and I am winded after 8 miles this morning.

I have some sort of respiratory crap that I just can't shake and my muscles feel weak and achy.

Just cleaned and lubed the bike. Tonight I'll get all my gear organized. We'll see how tomorrow goes.
View Quote
you'll do fine ....push comes to shove it might take you a little longer than you planned...good luck!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]
All the off-season training paid off.

81.7 miles, 16.6mph/avg and a killer sprint at the 74 mile mark for a contest they were having. 355 watts over 1.5 miles on that segment.

Did my share of real turns on the front in a group of 5 of us that stuck together all day.

Best part of the ride was a guy today I rode with during my first century last September telling me I'd was a far more powerful rider than our last time together.

I'm tired but...today was a good day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

81.7 miles, 16.6mph/avg and a killer sprint at the 74 mile mark for a contest they were having. 355 watts over 1.5 miles on that segment.

Did my share of real turns on the front in a group of 5 of us that stuck together all day.

Best part of the ride was a guy today I rode with during my first century last September telling me I'd was a far more powerful rider than our last time together.

View Quote
Hell yeah ...Feels great you'll be buzzin off that for weeks..Most of the guys that have been Zwifting hard thru the winter months are doing really well when they get back on the roads
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Good job, Abner.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#21]
For any of us that are coming in from the stone age, is going tubeless that big of an improvement?  My new bike is tubess compatible, just not done yet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For any of us that are coming in from the stone age, is going tubeless that big of an improvement?  My new bike is tubess compatible, just not done yet.
View Quote
Assuming you're talking about your new Cannondale, then go for it.

You get rid of the tube weight, while adding a little bit in with the sealant.  You gain the ability to run lower pressures without worrying about pinch flats.  I say go for it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hell yeah ...Feels great you'll be buzzin off that for weeks..Most of the guys that have been Zwifting hard thru the winter months are doing really well when they get back on the roads
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You aren't kidding. For me, at my age and riding experience, to sustain 355watts avg (peek 583) for 1.5 miles after 74 miles of hard riding...well....I'll say it. I'm pretty dammed stoked.

I'm pretty much KOM of my driveway so to get a legit showing like this makes me want to get back on tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Stages Power Meter arriving at my house tomorrow-it'll be interesting seeing "real" watts on my .fit files.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I picked up that used Madone I was talking about in the other thread..Seems like the previous owner has so many other bikes he didn't know it was a 2014 6 series..Its got a few scratches on it and the shifting is a bit off but it was a nice get for $750...pics in a bit

ETA: check out the backwards seat mast.....previous owner's idea

Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I picked up that used Madone I was talking about in the other thread..Seems like the previous owner has so many other bikes he didn't know it was a 2014 6 series..Its got a few scratches on it and the shifting is a bit off but it was a nice get for $750...pics in a bit

ETA: check out the backwards seat mast.....previous owner's idea

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Voodoochile65/DSC_02651_zpsugsmmoov.jpg
View Quote
Nice score!
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Watching the kid unit today so did Zwift training ride. GCN "First Flash of Fast" session.

24.3 miles, 1h26min, 152watts weight avg power, 60% of ride heart rate was at tempo or threshold (29%). Power was 32% at threshold, 43% tempo or endurance.

I was still tired from last Sunday's big ride plus I didn't eat or sleep well this week....and it showed. Blew up about 1/2 through the 3rd block of 10min above threshold riding and grunted out the rest of the session.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nice score!
View Quote
Thanks ..I have some old block pedals on it for the time being until the new Keos arrive.Took it to a local Trek Dealer and got the front derailleur sorted out... Pretty much all the road bike I could ever want
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Tough ride today - 4000 ft of climbing
https://www.strava.com/activities/935186211
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
holy crap..nice job!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Demo season has begun! I have started year three of bike demos, but this will be the year I actually pick up a bike. But I'm super happy I got to get out and ride.

Rocky Mountain had their van come into town so I wandered on over and took a gander at what they had to offer. I'm in the market for something pretty burly so I locked on to the Slayer and took it for a spin. 165mm in the rear and 170mm in the front all wrapped up in a carbon fiber frame with XT component package.

First thing; A 165mm bike has no business climbing as well as it did. I figured I'd be groveling up the hill in the granny gear but I spent most of my time below that. The only other 165mm bike I've spent time on was the Devinci Spartan, and I have no desire to climb on that ever again. It descended like a demon on wheels. The cool thing was the ride-4 flip chip. Change the position of the lower bolt on the shock and you can slacken it out a little bit to make it into more of a "race" mode or leave it in a neutral position if you're doing a lot of climbing, but with a head angle of 65.5 degrees it's still no slouch going downhill. It's not tool less so set it and forget it before you head out.

The second bike was the Instinct. A playful 29er trail bike. 130 rear, 140 front, and again with the Carbon Fiber frame and XT components.

TLDR; it's a solid trail bike. Pop off jumps and other features, climbs well, accelerates quickly when you hammer down on the pedals. Just a fun do it all bike. Until things start to get rowdy. It's very composed but when I pushed it to ride like the Slayer I proceeded to blow through all the travel .

All in all it was a pretty good weekend of riding. Now if I could just take one home...
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Eagle BP?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 12:46:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Eagle BP?
View Quote
Camelsback. Started at the trailhead at the end of 9th and rode back there. But I ride at Eagle a lot because it's really close to where I live.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Camelsback. Started at the trailhead at the end of 9th and rode back there. But I ride at Eagle a lot because it's really close to where I live.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eagle BP?
Lucky.  Eagle is a drive down 26 for me, at least I don't have to drive into town.  Haven't tried any other spots yet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Stages Power Meter arriving at my house tomorrow-it'll be interesting seeing "real" watts on my .fit files.
View Quote
Damn this thing is humbling-30 miles of group riding  at a 15mph or so pace through exurbia, avg. power 123, normalized power 139, 898 kJ total work.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks ..I have some old block pedals on it for the time being until the new Keos arrive.Took it to a local Trek Dealer and got the front derailleur sorted out... Pretty much all the road bike I could ever want
View Quote
You stole that bike!  Just the groupset alone would run you about $580 sourced from the UK.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
holy crap..nice job!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
holy crap..nice job!
Yeah, holy shit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:03:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lucky.  Eagle is a drive down 26 for me, at least I don't have to drive into town.  Haven't tried any other spots yet.
View Quote
Well, we had a dig day a week ago at Eagle and the crew just started working there again after the winter break. 80+ people showed up to work on the runs on City owned land and there's another day coming up to work on the county trails. Next time you're out there it should be top notch! Provided this weather hasn't done too much damage.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Well, we had a dig day a week ago at Eagle and the crew just started working there again after the winter break. 80+ people showed up to work on the runs on City owned land and there's another day coming up to work on the county trails. Next time you're out there it should be top notch! Provided this weather hasn't done too much damage.
View Quote
Rode it today, trails were in decent shape.  More importantly you can see where they cut some drainage and things to keep them looking good.

Fell and busted my knee 3 minutes into my ride.  Couldn't figure out what the hell was going on, turns out SPD peddles don't work so hot with only one bolt. 

My Garmin appears to have shit the bed. 

Still can't figured out new bike.  VERY light on the front end while climbing.  Solid as can be hauling ass.

Legs are great, lungs HURT.  Did management to make it up to the top twice.  Still not race ready, at least my ass wasn't parked on the couch while my bike was in the garage. 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#40]
22.9 miles at 17.9mph avg. 54% of ride was tempo heart-rate.

However one of my fastest avg mph rides to date. 17.9mph when I'm usually in the 16s. Thank good for downhills and tailwinds!

Never did really feel right on the bike. Don't know if the torque session on the turbo yesterday made me tired, I'm just tired from traveling or what. None the less it was good to be on the bike in the wild. Wish I had more time to stay out today.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Rode it today, trails were in decent shape.  More importantly you can see where they cut some drainage and things to keep them looking good.

Fell and busted my knee 3 minutes into my ride.  Couldn't figure out what the hell was going on, turns out SPD peddles don't work so hot with only one bolt. 

My Garmin appears to have shit the bed. 

Still can't figured out new bike.  VERY light on the front end while climbing.  Solid as can be hauling ass.

Legs are great, lungs HURT.  Did management to make it up to the top twice.  Still not race ready, at least my ass wasn't parked on the couch while my bike was in the garage. 
View Quote
Need another set? I have some 540s I think laying around that still work great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#42]
A flat ride today, 75 miles. We averaged 15.9 on the way down with the wind in our face, we rolled 24-26 on the way back.

Check out this "relive" which links into Strava: https://www.relive.cc/view/943640809
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:36:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Need another set? I have some 540s I think laying around that still work great.
View Quote
Thanks for the offer, but this was a new set of XTs.  Stupid bolt came out of the cleat.  Guess I should have put on the new cleats with locktite when I mounted the pedals. 
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A flat ride today, 75 miles. We averaged 15.9 on the way down with the wind in our face, we rolled 24-26 on the way back.

Check out this "relive" which links into Strava: https://www.relive.cc/view/943640809
View Quote
Nice ocean ride...I usually get rolling hills, horses and cows ..and the occasional loose Pitbull..
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nice ocean ride...I usually get rolling hills, horses and cows ..and the occasional loose Pitbull..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh....you mean sprints.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I fondly remember my mountain biking route when I was in high school.  It involved running the gauntlet past a Rottweiler.  Some days he was lazy and wouldn't get off the porch.  Other days it was a full on chase.

Until a riding buddy managed to full downward stroke catch the dog in the top of the head.  Ass over head roll and a skid to a stop.  Was like a cartoon.  After that dog wouldn't leave the yard.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I fondly remember my mountain biking route when I was in high school.  It involved running the gauntlet past a Rottweiler.  Some days he was lazy and wouldn't get off the porch.  Other days it was a full on chase.

Until a riding buddy managed to full downward stroke catch the dog in the top of the head.  Ass over head roll and a skid to a stop.  Was like a cartoon.  After that dog wouldn't leave the yard.
View Quote
I can usually get on it quick enough to not have a problem...one time I got chased uphill and that really sucked. Worse case scenario there is a g19 in my fanny pack but I don't think it would come to that.

I had a friendly husky run alongside me for a couple miles..I cut my ride short and turned back because I didn't want to get him lost.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#48]
100.4 miles in an organized bike ride. Most of it on the Longleaf Trace near Hattiesburg MS. 16.6mph/avg and 6:03:00 total movement time.

Sadly, however, I rode like a total idiot. Went way too hard, too fast and then kept chasing groups instead of staying with one and locking in.

Any day on the bike is a good day, I suppose, but it would have been far better had I paced myself. I know better...not sure what got into me. The last 10 miles were murder.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
100.4 miles in an organized bike ride. Most of it on the Longleaf Trace near Hattiesburg MS. 16.6mph/avg and 6:03:00 total movement time.

Sadly, however, I rode like a total idiot. Went way too hard, too fast and then kept chasing groups instead of staying with one and locking in.

Any day on the bike is a good day, I suppose, but it would have been far better had I paced myself. I know better...not sure what got into me. The last 10 miles were murder.
View Quote
Great effort!
I was supposed to do a century today but rain made us change plans and ride local hills - https://www.strava.com/activities/953243416#kudos
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Scored a low mileage carbon Trek Madone with full 10 speed Ultegra for my teenage son off Craigslist for $600 last night as an early 16th birthday present.

At 5'10"/130 lbs, he's going to be a hill climbing terror on it.
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top