Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 55
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I took care of that.  Bee putting some miles on the last few days.  Got my fork dialed in, need to adjust my front derailleur a little.  Loving this bike!

Anyone have recommendations on a frame mounted pump?  Tubeless necessary?  Apparently it came tubeless ready, is it worth it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn this thread.  Been off a bike for about 12 years.  Kids are getting in to riding so I went out and dove right back in today.

2016 Trek X-Caliber 9.  Put about 12 miles on it today.  So far, I love it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/quint504/45F59687-CFF2-4D93-B021-C37157E35C90_zpsfsl43crl.jpg

Your front brake cable needs to go on the inside of the fork leg. Take it back, and make 'em fix that!! Sweet bike, though, I see a lot of good times in your future!!

I took care of that.  Bee putting some miles on the last few days.  Got my fork dialed in, need to adjust my front derailleur a little.  Loving this bike!

Anyone have recommendations on a frame mounted pump?  Tubeless necessary?  Apparently it came tubeless ready, is it worth it?

TUBELESS ALL THE THINGS!!!

Seriously, it's one of the best upgrades you can do.  And ditch the frame pump and get a CO2 system.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hit a top speed record for me on a short downhill today.

39.1 MPH
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

39.1 MPH
View Quote

Peed yourself didn't you  
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Peed yourself didn't you  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

39.1 MPH

Peed yourself didn't you  

I did a little when I first hit 35 on my recumbent
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

39.1 MPH
View Quote

Dirt or road?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

39.1 MPH

Peed yourself didn't you  

I'd have more than peed myself on a recumbent, but I could never ride one anyway lol
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dirt or road?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

39.1 MPH

Dirt or road?

Road.  It was a short hill.  I'd need a change of shorts if I did that off road.  I get uneasy over about 15 downhill on dirt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Road.  It was a short hill.  I'd need a change of shorts if I did that off road.  I get uneasy over about 15 downhill on dirt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

39.1 MPH

Dirt or road?

I've hit about 45 on the road, and 26 on dirt.

I want to hit 50 on the road.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:08:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Stopped by a bike shop today to peruse some of the MTB options.  Now there is a thing that is a 27.5+.  Basically a 27.5 with wide tires.  I am more confused than a baby in a topless bar.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#10]
21.5 Miles at 16mph/avg. A little limited on time this morning plus..........was going to do a nice gentle ride and go 25-30 miles. Instead went bonkers right off the bat, hit a bunch of hills and sprinted every segment that came up. :/

Legs felt good overall and happy with the ride given that I've had 2 hotel workouts this week (bike & treadmill) plus lots of push-ups, situps and squats. Feels like the first normal week since surgery.

Now time to build back endurance!

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Stopped by a bike shop today to peruse some of the MTB options.  Now there is a thing that is a 27.5+.  Basically a 27.5 with wide tires.  I am more confused than a baby in a topless bar.
View Quote
Interesting comparison of 27.5+ vs. 29 here.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/are-275-wheels-and-tyres-better-than-29ers-47047/

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
A rare opportunity for me to get out and ride some decent trails.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

29+ is even better.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
29+ is even better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

29+ is even better.
29+ has got to be huge.  No one needs tires that big, won't you think of the children?  

Thinking about renting a 27+ in a couple of weeks.  Bike shop owner certainly seems to be a true believer.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
29+ has got to be huge.  No one needs tires that big, won't you think of the children?  

Thinking about renting a 27+ in a couple of weeks.  Bike shop owner certainly seems to be a true believer.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

29+ is even better.

Truth is that the best reason for + tires is as "summer wheels" for your fatbike.

27.5+ is a replacement for 4" fat tires and 29+ is the same diameter as 4.8"x26 fatbike tires.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Finished off June with 434 miles.

Drag raced a guy on a moped last night, I beat him.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Snuck in 15 miles on the bike path this morning in a shade less than an hour on old faithful.

That said, legs and breathing didn't feel great but at least I was in the saddle.

The 1/2 mile uphill sprint at a 2-5% incline racing against a dumptruck that was working up through the gears was probably not the smartest idea I've ever had. I know what 250-300 watts feels like now even if just for a minute and a half
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm gonna buy a hybrid, I'm not gonna ride on the roads on a Tour De France bike.
I'm not gonna wear lycra bike clothes, those are dumb.
I'm not gonna buy clipless pedals, regular ones are just fine.
I'm gonna buy a road bike, but just to go a little faster, I don't want to ride long distances.
I'm not gonna be one of those nuts who rides 100 miles in one sitting.......

Just signed up for my first century.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm gonna buy a hybrid, I'm not gonna ride on the roads on a Tour De France bike.
I'm gonna buy a road bike, but just to go a little faster, I don't want to ride long distances.

View Quote

I'm doing my first 49mi ride next week..all hills ...my longest ride to date is 30mi group rides/fun rides..I checked the Strava numbers on last years rides ..I should be OK but I'll probably have butterflies anyway
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Started out on a ride to Explore Park and back this morning with Bonk2029.  WAY hotter than expected, so the climb up Mill Mountain wore my ass out.  We modified our plans and only wound up with 20 miles.  Still a good ride, but way too hot and humid  
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Started out on a ride to Explore Park and back this morning with Bonk2029.  WAY hotter than expected, so the climb up Mill Mountain wore my ass out.  We modified our plans and only wound up with 20 miles.  Still a good ride, but way too hot and humid  
View Quote

In full disclosure, the timing was my fault (life got in the way).  2 hours earlier would have been much more pleasant, but then we would have missed that brilliant photo you took.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#23]
24.9 miles (head unit said 25 dammit!) at 16.8mph/avg. Was on limited time so I did a fair amount of hill work today.

Best average speed I've ever held for that sort of distance. Bike felt great and legs did too.

Only thing that worries me is that I was nearly out of water by the time I got back home. Will need to ration more closely for a longer ride (of course I won't be pushing it as hard either).

Monday will have loads more time and will go for distance ride instead of speed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Get a second bottle or a camelbak. Dehydration is a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:44:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

After yesterday's ride, I'll be putting a second bottle on my road bike.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In full disclosure, the timing was my fault (life got in the way).  2 hours earlier would have been much more pleasant, but then we would have missed that brilliant photo you took.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One advantage of having a camera on the back of your bike

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s93.photobucket.com/user/VACaver/media/13f0ff79-76b3-481b-8416-a15960219b64_zpsbgemwnp9.png.html" target="_blank">http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/VACaver/13f0ff79-76b3-481b-8416-a15960219b64_zpsbgemwnp9.png</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s93.photobucket.com/user/VACaver/media/13f0ff79-76b3-481b-8416-a15960219b64_zpsbgemwnp9.png.html" target="_blank">http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l44/VACaver/13f0ff79-76b3-481b-8416-a15960219b64_zpsbgemwnp9.png</a>

She was kind of cute too.  I'm guessing the old dude was her dad.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
24.9 miles (head unit said 25 dammit!) at 16.8mph/avg. Was on limited time so I did a fair amount of hill work today.

Best average speed I've ever held for that sort of distance. Bike felt great and legs did too.

Only thing that worries me is that I was nearly out of water by the time I got back home. Will need to ration more closely for a longer ride (of course I won't be pushing it as hard either).

Monday will have loads more time and will go for distance ride instead of speed.
View Quote

How many bottles are you carrying?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have a second bottle already.

Mostly this is all part of recovery from surgery plus I prob need to drink more water in the days leading up to a ride. I'm not back to full form so rides are taking more effort plus it's getting hot as balls.

Normally a full bottle lasts me about 15 miles or so. I'm just hitting them a little harder than normal.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Mostly this is all part of recovery from surgery plus I prob need to drink more water in the days leading up to a ride. I'm not back to full form so rides are taking more effort plus it's getting hot as balls.

Normally a full bottle lasts me about 15 miles or so. I'm just hitting them a little harder than normal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like to make sure I have a bottle of sports drink per hour and one of plain water for every 2 hours.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, it ain't perfect and it ain't a lot of miles, but my son has decided we should go to the park and play with foamie gliders and a ball to kick around.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, it ain't perfect and it ain't a lot of miles, but my son has decided we should go to the park and play with foamie gliders and a ball to kick around.  

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/broken_reticle/trailer.jpg
View Quote

That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#33]
25.1 miles in another time limited ride. Held 16.5mph average, not as good as Saturday but not bad considering I just did a decently hard ride 2 days ago.

Beautiful morning to be in the saddle.

About 100 miles behind pace for my goal of 1500 miles this year but I should make that up as I prepare for the 60 mile and century rides later in summer/fall.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That's pretty cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/broken_reticle/trailer.jpg

That's pretty cool.

All was well until my wife told him she would be joining us this week.  He said "No, it is boy time, you can't come."  

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Just bought the Garmin Edge 520 with cadence, speed, and heart rate sensors.  Very happy.

Everything works great, is intuitive, and much better/simpler than running Strava with my phone to record my rides and a separate cycle computer for in-ride speed, time, etc.

It's a good size, not too big, not too small.  It also has navigation, segment announcements, and other capabilities that I may eventually bother to figure out.

Also, I finally figured out the answer to my earlier question...

Quoted:
Fellow strava users...

Do your flybys still work?

Mine haven't worked in several months.  When I click "flybys" it brings up the map page, but is stuck on "Loading" and never shows my route.  I thought maybe it was a strava software issue, but now I'm starting to think it's a me shitty hardware out-of-date smartphone issue.
View Quote

It was an Internet Explorer issue and not a phone issue.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216944837-Strava-Flyby-not-working-IE-

1) Left click on the "settings" gear in the upper right corner or your IE browser
2) Left click "Compatibility View Settings" from the drop down menu
3) Left click to remove the check in the "Use Microsoft compatibility lists" box

If your problem was IE11, the above will fix flybys.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#36]
dbl
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Just got back on the bike last weekend and took it easy at first.

I dont ride on the roads anymore, but on a hard packed gravel road and singletrack so my times are slower but its the workout, not the  time that I care about.

Anyway on the way back I  decide to hit some hills (old landfill) and I break my friggin chain. A friggin SRAM 991. Looks like I don't have a spare link to repair it and get to walk the remain 4 miles in my  socks

Off to get a new chain and cassette after work. I am hooked again

Any S. Florida mtbers ride QW, Markham or Oleta? I could use riding partners as my brother and friends gave it up entirely and chose to get fat instead.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Just got back on the bike last weekend and took it easy at first.

I dont ride on the roads anymore, but on a hard packed gravel road and singletrack so my times are slower but its the workout, not the  time that I care about.

Anyway on the way back I  decide to hit some hills (old landfill) and I break my friggin chain. A friggin SRAM 991. Looks like I don't have a spare link to repair it and get to walk the remain 4 miles in my  socks

Off to get a new chain and cassette after work. I am hooked again

Any S. Florida mtbers ride QW, Markham or Oleta? I could use riding partners as my brother and friends gave it up entirely and chose to get fat instead.
View Quote
If your chain breaks, you don't have to walk-you can either stand on your left pedal with your right foot and use your bike as a scooter, or thread a cable binder through the broken chain, cinch it up, and ratchet your way home a 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time passing the chain between the derailleur pulleys and chainrings.

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quick links and a pocket sized Park chain tool.  GTG.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Did a 15 mile ride Thursday on the Giant Escape and on the bike path.

Did 38 miles this morning on the Scott Solace. 16.6mph/avg and kept good 74rpm avg cadence.

I wasn't rushed for time so I purposely started very measured and then gradually increased the pace. I think the past two weekends, because I was pressed for time, I subconsciously went too hard too fast which is why I was destroying my water bottles so quickly. Today, despite being 85F already two water bottles made it almost the entire ride.

Legs felt great. Bike is in good shape but need to oil the chain. Its time for a tune-up anyway so that will be perfect timing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Finally got back out. 33 miles in 2:07 on the road.

Going to try and get out tomorrow afternoon on the mtb for 20 to 30 miles.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Did the 50mi ride in the Norman Conquest (charity ride)..first time past 30mi..lots of hills but I did ok...and a real nice meal in an air conditioned room afterwards..legs wanted to cramp in the end but they didnt lock up on me
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Did the 50mi ride in the Norman Conquest (charity ride)..first time past 30mi..lots of hills but I did ok...and a real nice meal in an air conditioned room afterwards..legs wanted to cramp in the end but they didnt lock up on me
View Quote

I need to find an organized century ride for early October...
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone in the Roanoke area looking for someone to ride with?  IM me.  I like riding with Bonk2029, but his hours make it hard.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come to coastal Mississippi for the Southern Magnolia 100. Well do it up right.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some day I may be able to travel for biking stuff, but probably not until the kids are out of the house.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Question for anyone familiar with VA Beach area:  I'll be spending 4 days in VA Beach in September and plan on bringing my bike so I don't have to spend time with my wife's sisters

What are some good rides in the area that I should consider?  I'll be on my recumbent (1.25 tires) so no gravel trails, please.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Question for anyone familiar with VA Beach area:  I'll be spending 4 days in VA Beach in September and plan on bringing my bike so I don't have to spend time with my wife's sisters

What are some good rides in the area that I should consider?  I'll be on my recumbent (1.25 tires) so no gravel trails, please.  

Thanks!
View Quote

I don't know anything from personal experience, but did find this...

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/parks-recreation/parks-trails/Documents/bikeways-trails-map.pdf

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/parks-recreation/parks-trails/Documents/bikeways-trails-map.pdf

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I saw that earlier, but not being familiar with the area, I am hoping a member here can come up with a 20-30 mile route for me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Got out today to do my first trail ride in a long, long time.  I was on a time constraint so I ended up riding less than ten miles, all single track, but lots up and down.  

Funny how perishable some of the skills are.  First half of the ride was telling myself "get your hands off the damn brakes!  Bend your knees and relax!" and second half, after almost dying on the climb back up "God, I love single track."  

A combination of the altitude, heat and (lack of) humidity is brutal though.  

It wasn't as much as I would to have liked to ride and I didn't have as much endurance as I would have liked, but I rode more today than most people.
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top