How much did it cost?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!

How much did it cost?
View Quote

$600 measly bucks!! I friggin' stole it!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice!

How much did it cost?

Yep-you'd pay at least $400 just for a Chinese open mold carbon frameset with sketchy QC.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

How much did it cost?

You better ride it like you stole it!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

How much did it cost?

Oh, I will!!! Picked up a new 20t rear cog, 32t chain ring and chain will be here Monday. Gonna ride the hell out of it, Sunday. So far, after one ride, I love this thing!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Dropped my mtb off at the LBS yesterday.  The RD finally came in.  Going to try and pick it up today and ride tomorrow to break in the 1x11 set up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
New bike day!!

Found this on Facebook....
View Quote

Was this on some sort of "bikes for sale" group or just an individual?

Might go sniffing around if it's a group and look for some deals.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#8]
In other news, did 1.9 miles in the neighborhood this morning. First time in the saddle since surgery on 6APR.

Just did an easy pedal slow stroll. No pain or discomfort so far.

Yay back on the bike!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice!

How much did it cost?

I don't like you anymore.

Kidding, congrats!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In other news, did 1.9 miles in the neighborhood this morning. First time in the saddle since surgery on 6APR.

Yay back on the bike!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yay back on the bike!
View Quote

Baby steps
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yay back on the bike!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Took another gentle stroll around the neighborhood, just spinning the legs for 2.8 miles. Took out the Scott Solace this time. Just went very slow and casual. Zero attempt for speed, cadence or anything other than a slow gentle ride.

Still not 100% confident clipping in and out. I practiced before hand and forced myself to do it several times. Still feel as graceful as a baby giraffe on ice with the sequence. Oddly, I seem to prefer to take my left foot off at the top of the stroke, stand and step forward off the saddle at the same time and then place that leg on the ground. Then I can leave my right foot clipped in/out as needed.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#14]
getting my wife into riding.  last week we had a ten mile ride.  went out for 20.4 today.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New bike day!!

Found this on Facebook....

It's called "Stevebay". Do a search, join up, and prepare to spend money on crap you don't really need, but really want!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Took another gentle stroll around the neighborhood, just spinning the legs for 2.8 miles. Took out the Scott Solace this time. Just went very slow and casual. Zero attempt for speed, cadence or anything other than a slow gentle ride.

Still not 100% confident clipping in and out. I practiced before hand and forced myself to do it several times. Still feel as graceful as a baby giraffe on ice with the sequence. Oddly, I seem to prefer to take my left foot off at the top of the stroke, stand and step forward off the saddle at the same time and then place that leg on the ground. Then I can leave my right foot clipped in/out as needed.

View Quote

Interesting.

I also prefer unclipping my left foot.  I need to work more on unclipping my right as on the trail you have to be able to do both at a moments notice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Interesting.

I also prefer unclipping my left foot.  I need to work more on unclipping my right as on the trail you have to be able to do both at a moments notice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

I figured I'd do my right foot, at the bottom of the stroke, and then just lean over a touch. That doesn't seem near as natural for me as the way I described.

I just gotta keep doing it. I feel so.....trapped....when I'm clipped in.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I figured I'd do my right foot, at the bottom of the stroke, and then just lean over a touch. That doesn't seem near as natural for me as the way I described.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

I have an older bike on a trainer where I do my Zwift workouts (like today when the weather is crap and I'm pushed for time) that bike has Keo's on it as well..It's a good way to learn to ride clipped in without the bruises and scrapes ..also Zwifiting can help with your recovery ..that guy that won the Paris-Roubaix last month Zwifted a ton earlier this year recovering from a broken arm and he says it helped him out tremendously
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Sun, May 22, 2016 6:30 AM
37:03   Time
10.56   Distance
17.1     Avg. Speed
21.5     Max Speed
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Haven't ridden at all lately but I've spent some money... Completely rebuilt my Walmart dirt-jumper with Shimano rear V-brake, Mission bottom-bracket and spindle, MTB seat-post, Rennen sprocket, 1/8 stem, and ESI Extra Chunky grips. Thing rides like a dream.

I also bought Shimano SLX discs for the MTB and a set of ESI Extra Chunkies. Need to get out and RIDE!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Did a moderate 5 miles yesterday at 13mph avg speed on the Scott Solace 30.

Then at night did another 4.6 miles on the Giant EscapeII but kept it in high gear and did several sprints.

Hurting today and probably should have been far more causal on the second ride.

Recovery sucks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
50 miles in less than 3 hours.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Went mountain biking for the first time last Thursday on my 11 year-old Giant Boulder.

Did 8 miles and had a great time!  Definitely going to make it a two or three times a week event.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Haven't ridden at all lately but I've spent some money... Completely rebuilt my Walmart dirt-jumper with Shimano rear V-brake, Mission bottom-bracket and spindle, MTB seat-post, Rennen sprocket, 1/8 stem, and ESI Extra Chunky grips. Thing rides like a dream.

I also bought Shimano SLX discs for the MTB and a set of ESI Extra Chunkies. Need to get out and RIDE!
View Quote

I just finished upgrading my 11 yr old 8 speed Hardrock with a Deore XT 770 9 speed groupset.  Got the newer M8000 hydro disc brakes, though.

I eventually need to pick a road bike to build.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#25]
So does anybody have any old MTB stems sitting around?  I'm looking for a 70mm length with a 30 deg rise.  1 1/8 steerer with 25.4 bar.

Eta - Nevermind.  I found one close enough.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Dropped my old stump jumper off at the bike shop yesterday for a tune up. I think they were confused at seeing a 26" bike.  they also didn't seem to think too much of fat guy in there, until they found out why I was getting it back out
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#27]
First ride on the new XT 1x11.

HOLY FREAKING COW
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

HOLY FREAKING COW
View Quote

What took you so long to go 1x?!
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HOLY FREAKING COW

$$$

That, and my drivetrain was still working.  So when the drivetrain on the hard tail exploded, I jumped at the chance to upgrade.

Now I just need another $200 to fund some XT disc brakes before the prices go back up...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
$$$
That, and my drivetrain was still working.  So when the drivetrain on the hard tail exploded, I jumped at the chance to upgrade.
Now I just need another $200 to fund some XT disc brakes before the prices go back up...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HOLY FREAKING COW

$$$

Don't do it! Buy SLX and replace the brake pad retaining clip with the bolt. That's the only difference in those brakes. I just did this upgrade for $120ish.

Watch. Also, here's the caliper bolt you need.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

HOLY FREAKING COW
View Quote

Went MT8000 XT 2X11 on my full suspension bike. I said the same thing, holy cow!!! I'm using SRAM Guide R brakes, but will probably put XT's on the SS at some point. Oh yeah, went with 2X11 over 1X since I usually only ride the full squish bike up north, where there's a lot of climbing, and that's definitely my weak spot. (Ok, I'm fat.)
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Went MT8000 XT 2X11 on my full suspension bike. I said the same thing, holy cow!!! I'm using SRAM Guide R brakes, but will probably put XT's on the SS at some point. Oh yeah, went with 2X11 over 1X since I usually only ride the full squish bike up north, where there's a lot of climbing, and that's definitely my weak spot. (Ok, I'm fat.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HOLY FREAKING COW

Climbing is my weak spot, too.

Along with cornering and descending.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:48:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Don't do it! Buy SLX and replace the brake pad retaining clip with the bolt. That's the only difference in those brakes. I just did this upgrade for $120ish.

https://youtu.be/56s6uNm469M

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HOLY FREAKING COW

$$$

https://youtu.be/56s6uNm469M

VERY interesting!

I may have to sell a LaRue mount I am no longer using to help fund this...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

VERY interesting!

View Quote
Try ordering from one of the UK sites like Ribble or Chain Reaction-their prices are usually less than what your local shop pays wholesale, and US Customs raised the duty free amount to $800 earlier this year.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Got mine rom Chain Reaction, then bought the bolts from that place out in Commiefornia.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Try ordering from one of the UK sites like Ribble or Chain Reaction-their prices are usually less than what your local shop pays wholesale, and US Customs raised the duty free amount to $800 earlier this year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

VERY interesting!

+1.  Bought some stuff last year that was like 30% off of anything in the states.    Shipping was super fast, didn't even seem like it came over the pond.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VERY interesting!

I'll get my LBS to check first as Mike has hooked me up more times than I can count and I want to keep him in business.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Been a good weekend to spend time in the saddle.

Decided to turn the recovery up a notch this weekend.

Sat: 7.5 miles & 14.2mph
Sun: 8.5 miles & 14.7mph
Mon: 10miles & 14.7mph

Sadly back to work tomorrow and prob should rest anyway. Will do some pushups, squats and toe-arch lifts.

Been working from home this week so I'll get in a couple spins in the morning, prob Wednesday and Friday.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Strava data

31.9mi
Distance

2:03:08
Moving Time

205ft
Elevation

Hit a patch of silt/sand in the middle of a curve and had my first wreck. Ate shit pretty bad, now I'm missing a lot of skin

Funny part? Still had my third best time on the segment I was riding when I crashed.  I was having a good ride prior to it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

HOLY FREAKING COW
View Quote
I finally went 1x9 on my pavement-only MTB and I love it.  I hope to never go back to more than one chainring!

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I finally went 1x9 on my pavement-only MTB and I love it.  I hope to never go back to more than one chainring!    

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/corwin1968/media/IMG_0019_zpsv3dyyplw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/corwin1968/IMG_0019_zpsv3dyyplw.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HOLY FREAKING COW

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/corwin1968/media/IMG_0019_zpsv3dyyplw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/corwin1968/IMG_0019_zpsv3dyyplw.jpg</a>

Now I'm just waiting on a new wide handlebar and then it's time to play with stem length.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Rode 6 miles after work today.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Had a short ride before the storms came tonight..left the G19 at home and got enthusiastically chased by 2 large dogs for a long time ..one might have been playing but one seemed rather sinister...the trick is to keep the legs moving and that's what I did
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#44]
My bike broke yesterday. Don't know what would be an upgrade that would work.

It has a sram X4 rear derailleur that a "B" screw stripped out in. What would be a drop in replacement, but still an upgrade? Bonus if it's Amazon Prime.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

It has a sram X4 rear derailleur that a "B" screw stripped out in. What would be a drop in replacement, but still an upgrade? Bonus if it's Amazon Prime.
View Quote

Shimano XT.

ETA: Hell I've got a brand new takeoff XT rear derailleur laying in my parts bin, never seen the dirt...
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#46]
8.7 Mile quick spin on the bike path. Took out the Giant EscapeII hybrid.

13.6 mph/avg for the ride and kept the bike in a tougher gear to try to build back strength.

Beautiful morning run.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Shimano XT.

ETA: Hell I've got a brand new takeoff XT rear derailleur laying in my parts bin, never seen the dirt...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shimano XT.

Shimano wouldn't work with SRAM shifters due to the cable pull ratios.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#48]
First ride in years, 2.8 miles to the fire station yesterday.  Saddle Sore today. I'll give it another day or two, then do it again, until I get used to it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shimano XT.

Ah you're absolutely right. His is an 8-ring cassette anyways; mine's a 10-ring. I'd just replace all that shit anyways.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Ah you're absolutely right. His is an 8-ring cassette anyways; mine's a 10-ring. I'd just replace all that shit anyways.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shimano XT.

Cassettes are interchangeable-not sure if SRAM RDs are like Shimano's where 8 to 10 speed RDs are the same with shifter cable pulls per click are different; the next RD up, SRAM's X7 goes for about $40 but it's nominally a 10 speed.

If bevenue has about $220 to spend on his bike, Ribble has a SLX 10 speed groupset (minus brakes) with free shipping which would be a substantial upgrade from X4 level components.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-slx-10-speed-transmission-groupset-shimano/

Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top