BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 55
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can say that you never rise t the occasion.  You default to your level of training.

I got in the 3 laps I wanted to, for a total of 44 miles.  BUT it took my 5:17 of ride time, and right at the total 6 hours total time to do it.  My climbing legs are just not there yet, and it showed.  Lap 3 felt more like a bike walk than a bike race, and I was fighting cramps for the whole lap.

And, I had a stupid fall.  I was trying to get off the trail for one of the fast guys, and couldn't get my foot unclipped in time. . Down I went right in front of him, causing him to run into my back wheel.  He was concerned I was hurt, but I was pissed off that I wrecked and held him up.

Fun trail, except for that up hill rock garden right at the top of a climb about 3/4 of the way through a 13 mile lap, so you're (or at least a schlub like me) is gasping hard when you hit it.  Thank God they have a sissy line around the outside.
View Quote

Glad to hear you survived. Maybe not the victorious crushing of your foes but you made it through.

Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No serious injuries that I am aware of.

Just my pride. [

I have my next 6 hour on May 7th.  Not sure how much riding I will actually be able to do before then as the new job will keep me busy during the day, and kids will keep me busy at night.

I think I might have to suck it up and slap the lights on and start riding once they are in bed.  Even an hour from 8 - 9 will help out tremendously.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can say that you never rise t the occasion.  You default to your level of training.

I got in the 3 laps I wanted to, for a total of 44 miles.  BUT it took my 5:17 of ride time, and right at the total 6 hours total time to do it.  My climbing legs are just not there yet, and it showed.  Lap 3 felt more like a bike walk than a bike race, and I was fighting cramps for the whole lap.

And, I had a stupid fall.  I was trying to get off the trail for one of the fast guys, and couldn't get my foot unclipped in time. . Down I went right in front of him, causing him to run into my back wheel.  He was concerned I was hurt, but I was pissed off that I wrecked and held him up.

Fun trail, except for that up hill rock garden right at the top of a climb about 3/4 of the way through a 13 mile lap, so you're (or at least a schlub like me) is gasping hard when you hit it.  Thank God they have a sissy line around the outside.

You'll crush it next time. It sounds like you did well to me. You had fun and no one got hurt, right?

No serious injuries that I am aware of.

Just my pride. [

I have my next 6 hour on May 7th.  Not sure how much riding I will actually be able to do before then as the new job will keep me busy during the day, and kids will keep me busy at night.

I think I might have to suck it up and slap the lights on and start riding once they are in bed.  Even an hour from 8 - 9 will help out tremendously.

Fortunately for me I work 4x10 and have Tuesday wed and thursdays off so I can get some bike time in...I'm also doing zwift sometimes when the weather was bad or at night..some folks laugh but there are pros using it now
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If the credit card balance keeps coming down, I might ask for a good trainer for a combo birthday/Christmas present.  I know some folks roll their eyes at them, but being able to get in a quick 30 minutes to an hour and still be home with the kids would be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Glad to hear you survived. Maybe not the victorious crushing of your foes but you made it through.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering how many hours some of these folks get to dedicate to training, their is no way I am going to crunch them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If the credit card balance keeps coming down, I might ask for a good trainer for a combo birthday/Christmas present.  I know some folks roll their eyes at them, but being able to get in a quick 30 minutes to an hour and still be home with the kids would be awesome.
View Quote

People don't like turbo's?

I am the verge of getting one for the reason you describe.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit, I haven't been out on the road since the baby was born (Sept.).  I ride the trainer (using GCN training videos on youtube) daily except I haven't rode in 8 days due to having had the flu and still recovering.  I'll probably start back tomorrow.  Also finished the groupset upgrade from that old EX 7 speed to 6400 Tricolor 8 speed.  Last parts I'm waiting on is the Kestrel carbon fork and 53/39 chainrings.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got a rarely used (as in about 4 times) Clycleops Fluid 2  that I'd be willing to part with for the right price if you're interested.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've got a rarely used (as in about 4 times) Clycleops Fluid 2  that I'd be willing to part with for the right price if you're interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM sent.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
32.5 miles yesterday at Santos mountain bike trail. Whooo.
Training for the Jerdon Mountain Challenge.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Back on the trainer after swapping on the new chainrings(52/42 to 53/39).  What a huge difference.

30min HIIT session

5 min warmup

5x 30 sec full gas
5x 30 sec recovery

4 min recovery

Repeated the entire set 3x(minus initial warmup)

5 min cool down

That session will whoop your ass if you're not ready for it.  I felt like damnit when I got off the trainer but 20 min later I'm good.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
32.5 miles yesterday at Santos mountain bike trail. Whooo.
Training for the Jerdon Mountain Challenge.
View Quote

That's in my neck of the woods!

One of these years I will have to do that race.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Race pic:
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Dude - that is baller. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
30mi group ride tonight...did ok but made a few stupid mistakes..gear selection..staying hydrated..i seem to have a hard time clipping in when i leave stoplights..stupi rookie stuff but i kept up
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Just found this thread.  Joined the arfcom Strava group I'm the "Attack" Rabbit

Great 60 mile ride yesterday with a group I go out with a lot.  2,300 feet of climing, 18.7mph average.  2nd overall on a short, sharp little uphill segment.

Hope to see more people riding.  If you're ever in San Antonio, let's go for a ride!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I seem to have a hard time clipping in when i leave stoplights.
View Quote

I don't know what I'm more worried about with group rides....keeping up or clipping in/out disasters.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't know what I'm more worried about with group rides....keeping up or clipping in/out disasters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and the tight spaces when we rotate ..I know some of my co riders have had to take evasive action to avoid my clumsy ass
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#18]
2005 Hard rock.  Nothing special, but I kinda like it.  Only thing really stock left on it is the stem and bars, and the crankset.  I think it's time to look for a better seat this year.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to clip in immediately when starting from a stop. Pedal with just your toe on the pedal until you get moving and are comfortable, then take a moment to clip in.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You don't have to clip in immediately when starting from a stop. Pedal with just your toe on the pedal until you get moving and are comfortable, then take a moment to clip in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its taking me multiple tries ...like 5-6 sometimes..especially on the right side (much easier on the left) its bad enough that once I do it I've had to play catch up with the group
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Have any of you guys ever ordered from Bikes Direct? It is seriously beginning to look like I will need a new mountain bike to replace my Raleigh MCC-8 as it turns 20 this year.

Assembling bike is no biggy, I have never even taken a bike to a mechanic before.  Always been too poor.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#22]
look at performance bikes too

got a new ride yesterday.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1193339_-1_400309__400309

big web presence and many brick and mortar stores too.

went 21.5 miles today on the new ride

1:20:59
Time

1:20:21
Moving Time

1:22:29
Elapsed Time

15.9 mph
Avg Speed

16.1 mph
Avg Moving Speed

21.5 mph
Max Speed
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Its taking me multiple tries ...like 5-6 sometimes..especially on the right side (much easier on the left) its bad enough that once I do it I've had to play catch up with the group
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loosen the clips on your pedals so it's easier to clip in and out until you can do it comfortably and quickly.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Saturday was a total shit show

What started out as a beautiful sunny day with a breeze took a turn for the worse right as I was furthest out. I decided to stop on a particularly scenic overview of the reservoir/prairie to take a photo and call the wife (something I normally never do while out on a ride)

Phone rings twice and then it dies. I guess being out in the sticks, I had very bad reception and it zapped the life out of my battery. Now I'm way out, dead phone, and wife most likely saw that I tried calling and now she can't reach me. That'll cause some worry, right?

Right. So I attempt to haul ass home right as the wind took a shift, picked up, and the temp dropped. Because of trail construction I foolishly tried to take a detour and wasted five miles, had to back track. I got my ass kicked thoroughly on the ride home. Can't understate that. I had to lift myself into my truck, and after pulling into the garage I laid down on the dirty-ass floor for ten minutes.

Still sore

Strava Data
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
2005 Hard rock.  Nothing special, but I kinda like it.  Only thing really stock left on it is the stem and bars, and the crankset.  I think it's time to look for a better seat this year.  

View Quote

2002 Hardrock Pro

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Build up the skill to track stand (find a very slight slope, even a lane marker will work) and turn your front wheel into it-there is a sweet spot where just the right amount of pedal pressure will keep you stationary and stable against the bike wanting to roll backwards.

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Loosen the clips on your pedals so it's easier to clip in and out until you can do it comfortably and quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill try it again tomorrow....i have the same type of pedals on my trainer bike and they work fine
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Ill try it again tomorrow....i have the same type of pedals on my trainer bike and they work fine

View All Quotes

...snip

What pedal system is this?  MTB or Road?  Virtually all pedals have a tension adjustment on them.  It sounds like you've got one set looser than the other.  And it sounds like the pedals on your bike, one pedal tighter than the other.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
...snip

What pedal system is this?  MTB or Road?  Virtually all pedals have a tension adjustment on them.  It sounds like you've got one set looser than the other.  And it sounds like the pedals on your bike, one pedal tighter than the other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

...snip

28mi group ride tonight...loosened both pedals almost to the stops...much better..now ive got to figure out how to quit cramping after 25mi lol
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
28mi group ride tonight...loosened both pedals almost to the stops...much better..now ive got to figure out how to quit cramping after 25mi lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...snip

Cramping can be caused by a number of things: muscle fatigue, loss of electrolytes, dehydration and even hyper-hydration.  Some people are more prone to cramping than others.

I've learned that dehydration is my kryptonite.  As long as I've got plenty of fluids in me, I'm good to go.  

Remember to hydrate (plain old water) during the day of your ride. Take it easy on drinks containing caffeine since it's a natural diuretic. If you normally drink water on your rides, try switching over to Gatorade or some other sports drink.  I usually make my bottles at about 80% the suggested strength.  I want to be able to quickly and easily hydrate.  Super sweet, syrupy drinks might hit your gut pretty hard.  

What's the longest ride you do?  If it's the 28 mile group ride, try going 35 or 40 sometime.  Do it on your own terms/pace.  Doing longer, harder rides (in metered steps) will condition you and help your body adjust to the stresses of the 28-miler.  Soon 28 miles won't hit you like it is right now.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Finally back on the bike!

The whole job transfer, selling my house, buying a house, and the move really knocked the crap out of my riding.

So far just commuting, 13.8 miles round trip, pretty much all rural, with just a bit of small town traffic.  It's a big change from riding in the DFW metromess.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Finally back on the bike!

The whole job transfer, selling my house, buying a house, and the move really knocked the crap out of my riding.

So far just commuting, 13.8 miles round trip, pretty much all rural, with just a bit of small town traffic.  It's a big change from riding in the DFW metromess.

Semper Fi
View Quote

I lived in north Dallas for 7 years.  Road during those years too.  I fully understand the hazards of riding in the city.  

Good on you for getting back on the bike and having a nice commute to get back up to speed
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Remember to hydrate (plain old water) during the day of your ride. Take it easy on drinks containing caffeine since it's a natural diuretic. If you normally drink water on your rides, try switching over to Gatorade or some other sports drink.  I usually make my bottles at about 80% the suggested strength.  I want to be able to quickly and easily hydrate.  Super sweet, syrupy drinks might hit your gut pretty hard.  

What's the longest ride you do?  If it's the 28 mile group ride, try going 35 or 40 sometime.  Do it on your own terms/pace.  Doing longer, harder rides (in metered steps) will condition you and help your body adjust to the stresses of the 28-miler.  Soon 28 miles won't hit you like it is right now.  
View Quote

I didn't start riding until last summer to drop weight. ..Dropped from 240-175 from dieting and riding 3-5 times a week...by the end of the year I was doing 12-15 per ride either on the road or on a trainer. I started doing group rides this year in order to learn how to ride in packs and maybe race someday.  Last night was my 3rd group ride and my last 2 had some cramping at the end.  Most times the cramping was set off by the little twist you give to the leg to unclip when slowing down. I carry 2 large drink bottles with water on one ride and powerade on last nights ride.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally getting some time in for after work rides; max HR at 220 minus age doesn't seem to be that applicable for me; averaging over 170 for around an hour and I'm 48.

https://www.strava.com/activities/544698977

https://www.strava.com/activities/542722492

https://www.strava.com/activities/525068546
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Finally getting some time in for after work rides; max HR at 220 minus age doesn't seem to be that applicable for me; averaging over 170 for around an hour and I'm 48.

View Quote

Holy crap....I get north of  150 for a little bit I am suffering!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I didn't start riding until last summer to drop weight. ..Dropped from 240-175 from dieting and riding 3-5 times a week...by the end of the year I was doing 12-15 per ride either on the road or on a trainer. I started doing group rides this year in order to learn how to ride in packs and maybe race someday.  Last night was my 3rd group ride and my last 2 had some cramping at the end.  Most times the cramping was set off by the little twist you give to the leg to unclip when slowing down. I carry 2 large drink bottles with water on one ride and powerade on last nights ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

First off, congratulations on the weight loss.  That's fantastic  Getting fat was the primary reason I started riding over 20 years ago.  You've come a long way in a fairly short time.  I know you feel 100% better.

Group riding is a great way to ride longer, faster and hone your bike handling skills.  It sounds like you're reaching a plateau of sorts.  Since a lot of your base miles were at a shorter distance, the 28-mile ride you're doing now is stressing your muscles a bit.  Again, if you can go longer, but at a comfortable pace, you'll condition your legs and they'll understand that they need to continue to perform at a higher intensity well past 28 miles.

I don't cramp on the bike.  I have cramped after a ride.  And, it was similar to your situation:  Due to a weird position or holding my leg at a certain angle.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yow!!  Those are some high average heart rates!!  What's measuring you?  

Here's my ride from last night.  I stopped wearing a HRM since I wasn't doing any specific zone training.  Hit the high 190's quite a few times = Blurry, tunnel vision!!!  I'm 46 years old.

Five years and I still don't know how to make it hot

https://www.strava.com/activities/544719421
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Here's my ride from last night.  I stopped wearing a HRM since I wasn't doing any specific zone training.  Hit the high 190's quite a few times = Blurry, tunnel vision!!!  I'm 46 years old.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ANT+ chestband from this GPS head unit kit; awesome piece of gear at a fraction of the price of Garmin.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01682GVD8/ref=twister_B018WODYG2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

ANT+ chestband from this GPS head unit kit; awesome piece of gear at a fraction of the price of Garmin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's pretty slick. Great price for what it can do.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Did a few miles today to test out my new rack and panniers. All good.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well done!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Saturday will be 2 weeks off bike. I AM ABOUT TO GO TOTALLY INSANE.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I rode Wednesday for the first time in two weeks...it felt great!

Well, aside from almost seeing a woman do a header off the hospital parking garage. They had just finished scooping her up when I rode by, so that was a bit of a bummer
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Well, aside from almost seeing a woman do a header off the hospital parking garage. They had just finished scooping her up when I rode by, so that was a bit of a bummer
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn!!!  That's not something you see every day.  

We're riding up to New Braunfels, TX tomorrow (if it's not raining).  I'll see if I can get some interesting pics.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Rode the hardrock 16 miles on road with a buddy.

https://www.strava.com/activities/546417329
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Well HELL!!  I've been rained out this morning

I'll curse the rain now, but, will keep my mouth shut a few months from now when it's 103 and any wet stuff is welcome.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also check out Garmin refurbs.  I got my Edge that way for cheap.  Worked perfectly.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I think I became a mountain biker today. I spent a couple of hours at the Indian River Bike Trail today. I had a great time on my first ever real off-road trek. It was surprising challenging. In fact, there was enough "nope" for me to say this place has many areas well beyond my current ability. I can have fun here for a while. I went over the handlebars once, laid the bike down in a corner once, and then just had a large number of white knuckle moments. Good times!

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#50]
No ride for me this weekend - Saturday we did the suppressor shoot at Brownells and winds were around 30mph+. Pretty much the same deal for Sunday.

It's been gusty around here
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top