Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 55
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Be sure to practice unclipping in your back yard before going out on the road.  Nothing worse than slowly toppling over as you desperately yank on your foot.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be sure to practice unclipping in your back yard before going out on the road.  Nothing worse than slowly toppling over as you desperately yank on your foot.
View Quote

Everyone has to do it at least once...

And even better right in front of a big group of people, BTDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never did it on the road.

I have on the trail, though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Since I just got fitted to bike, and this is my first clipped in ride, decided to go slow and easy. Also, it's overcast and I didn't want to get caught out in the rain.

23 miles at 15.6mph/avg.

Overall a decent ride although I prefer longer ones.

That said, forgot my heart monitor and dropped my favorite water bottle and broke it. :/

And for those wondering how my first clipped-in ride went. I made it 23 miles without falling down, including forcing myself to stop at ever stop sign and clip out/in. Also stopped to help some ladies who were trying to load a lawnmower into a trailer (lots of fun in bike shoes). Right shoe out first at bottom of stroke, move it to ground, move left foot to position as needed and gracefully unclip and come to standing position. Easy peasy.

The first fall came at mile 23.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 IN MY FUCKING DRIVEWAY TRYING TO GET OFF THE BIKE THE LAST DAMN TIME. Took the left foot out first, instead of right. Before I knew it I was on the ground wondering what the hell just happened and laughing at myself. Skinned my knee and my right elbow hurts a bit. Other than that, bruised pride.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Way to AJ it, dood!
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The first fall came at mile 23.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 IN MY FUCKING DRIVEWAY TRYING TO GET OFF THE BIKE THE LAST DAMN TIME. Took the left foot out first, instead of right. Before I knew it I was on the ground wondering what the hell just happened and laughing at myself. Skinned my knee and my right elbow hurts a bit. Other than that, bruised pride.
View Quote

Just think how bruised your pride would be if you fell in a group
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first was riding with a friend on the greenway. Seeing someone he knew, he stopped to chat. I also came to a stop...and forgot all about unclipping. Boom, down I went in front of about 6 people.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
This happened.....

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Looks nice!
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks nice!
View Quote

Thanks. I was eyeballing some real nice bike hangers on amazon and while I'm never adverse to spending money this worked out both functional, cheaper and a fun way to spend a few hours.

We had the wood, screws and hanging brackets laying around so it was pretty easy to get done.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

First time out with the wife, first time towing a trailer.  Wife is ahead of me, slowly climbing a hill.  She stops.  I managed to get my foot out just in time to roll my ankle.

She was like "See I told you those pedals are dangerous!"

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Went to Colorado to try and do some riding but ended up getting sucker punched by the weather last week. 70 degree days leading up to the trip and I showed up to a blizzard. I was woefully under prepared for this and did not have the right clothing to stay warm.

Thankfully one of the days let up and we got to go out. I think we rode about 4 miles or so. It all felt like a steep uphill the entire time and the trails were brutal. Incredibly technical and made it hard to ride with any speed, even with 150mm+ of travel. Toss in a 2000' elevation increase and I was exhausted by the end of the day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 9:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Went to Colorado to try and do some riding but ended up getting sucker punched by the weather last week. 70 degree days leading up to the trip and I showed up to a blizzard. I was woefully under prepared for this and did not have the right clothing to stay warm.

http://i.imgur.com/v8ZZx1E.jpg

Thankfully one of the days let up and we got to go out. I think we rode about 4 miles or so. It all felt like a steep uphill the entire time and the trails were brutal. Incredibly technical and made it hard to ride with any speed, even with 150mm+ of travel. Toss in a 2000' elevation increase and I was exhausted by the end of the day.

http://imgur.com/kEYiNue.jpg
View Quote

Jesus!
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#14]
2:21 ride time
23.8 miles

I'm going to die on 4/2.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Have been feeling some discomfort and finally went to doctor.

She suspects a hernia. Going to surgeon Thursday for further evaluation and options.

Not sure how this will effect my time in the saddle, if at all.

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]

I hope you get better soon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Several days with temps in the mid to upper 60's...but no riding.  Not with winds 10-15 mph with gusts to 35.

I don't mind a little wind, but that's too much for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Several days with temps in the mid to upper 60's...but no riding.  Not with winds 10-15 mph with gusts to 35.

I don't mind a little wind, but that's too much for me.
View Quote
That's the way it was for me earlier in the week, except the gusts were only around 20 mph. It sucked, the wind was out of the north and I was ridding east - west!  

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have been feeling some discomfort and finally went to doctor.

She suspects a hernia. Going to surgeon Thursday for further evaluation and options.

Not sure how this will effect my time in the saddle, if at all.

View Quote

Confirmed.

Will bout of the saddle for about a month.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Did my first group ride last night ..27 miles in the hills outside of town. I did OK considering I've only been road riding since last summer and riding a trainer for the winter and I didn't get dropped until the last few miles when the racers decided to go for it..I even remembered to unclip my shoes when I came to a stop (first ride with clip ins) I do have a lot to learn about pack riding.

By the time I got home I was sneezing non-stop and couldn't stop sneezing all night until I stole some of my kids allergy medicine..I never have allergy issues..weird.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Weather report is not looking good for the race.  Showing rain Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

The good news is, that made me check my brake pads.

New brake pads installed, need to get the damned pistons retracted enough to stop the rubbing.  There are times I miss my mechanical discs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Weather report is not looking good for the race.  Showing rain Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

New brake pads installed, need to get the damned pistons retracted enough to stop the rubbing.  There are times I miss my mechanical discs.
View Quote

What day is race?

Looking forward to race report and best of luck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What day is race?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What day is race?

4/2

Race report will probably be along the lines of, "I suck.  I suck so bad.  And now I have hurt myself."

ETA: Link to race info
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#25]
going through and comparing Strava data from my first group ride last thursday ....inadvertantly rode with a group of experienced guys when I was looking for the rookie (no drop) bunch...hung with them pretty good until the last few miles when they decided to hammer down to the finish.  from what I can tell on Strava I did OK ...most of my numbers (avg speed, est wattage, segment times, etc) were comparable ..considering I was a 50yr old, 240+ pounds and borderline diabetic last summer I'm loving this....If I can get down to 170 (178 now)
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
going through and comparing Strava data from my first group ride last thursday ....inadvertantly rode with a group of experienced guys when I was looking for the rookie (no drop) bunch...hung with them pretty good until the last few miles when they decided to hammer down to the finish.  from what I can tell on Strava I did OK ...most of my numbers (avg speed, est wattage, segment times, etc) were comparable ..considering I was a 50yr old, 240+ pounds and borderline diabetic last summer I'm loving this....If I can get down to 170 (178 now)
View Quote

Keep it going and you'll get there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Got an old Specialized Stump Jumper yesterday. Got is for $200 because the shifter was "not working". Two hours of work in the garage and a bit of lube in the shimano shifter assembly and all works 100%. Seems like a nice bike. I rode it a bit this am.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#28]

You STOLE that thing!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I was very happy to get out for 10 miles on my Fattie, my first ride in months after battling a horrible cough, food poisoning  and then sinusitis.

I had a great day until I spoke with one of best friends and riding buddy. He, the bike shop owner, and an older guy we've rode with several times named Bob went out for the Wednesday lunch ride. They started with a good climb and then long descent to a traffic light. At the light Bob said "If you guys go one mile an hour faster you're going to kill me". He was stopped behind my buddy when he said that. A few seconds later there was a thud and he was DRT. Massive heart attack. They tried CPR, cops came with defibrillator and zapped him 3 times but Bob was gone before the ambulance arrived.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#30]

So sorry to hear about y'alls loss.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was very happy to get out for 10 miles on my Fattie, my first ride in months after battling a horrible cough, food poisoning  and then sinusitis.

I had a great day until I spoke with one of best friends and riding buddy. He, the bike shop owner, and an older guy we've rode with several times named Bob went out for the Wednesday lunch ride. They started with a good climb and then long descent to a traffic light. At the light Bob said "If you guys go one mile an hour faster you're going to kill me". He was stopped behind my buddy when he said that. A few seconds later there was a thud and he was DRT. Massive heart attack. They tried CPR, cops came with defibrillator and zapped him 3 times but Bob was gone before the ambulance arrived.  

View Quote

That is horrific
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok Bike enthusiasts. Now I have questions I am hoping you can help me with.

I rode the StumpJumper above today for 5 miles with 3/4 of that being on the road/bikepath. The rest was light off road/trail. The thing rides nicely, but I am getting wrist pain that my wife's tiny cannondale M300 does not cause.

I'm hoping you guys can help me resolve that problem. I am 6'3" with a a 34" inseam. I weigh 220 right now. The bike has a 21" frame. I have the saddle height set up so I have full extension to the bottom of the crank stroke on the pedal. The bike is configured as i n the pic above except I changed the seat out for a more ergo-friendly one.

Any input is appreciated.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I rode the StumpJumper above today for 5 miles with 3/4 of that being on the road/bikepath. The rest was light off road/trail. The thing rides nicely, but I am getting wrist pain that my wife's tiny cannondale M300 does not cause.

I'm hoping you guys can help me resolve that problem. I am 6'3" with a a 34" inseam. I weigh 220 right now. The bike has a 21" frame. I have the saddle height set up so I have full extension to the bottom of the crank stroke on the pedal. The bike is configured as i n the pic above except I changed the seat out for a more ergo-friendly one.

View Quote

How are your hands positioned?  Rolled back on the grips so there is a sharp angle from your hands to your forearms? You want to grip your bar so the back of your hand runs flat to the back of your arms.

You could also have too much weight forward, and that's putting excessive pressure on your wrists. Adjusting your bars to the rear so you sit a little more upright might help.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im probably one of the few guys in my riding group under a cardiologists care ...hits real close to home...my condolences
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
You might have an inch or two of stem down in that head tube that would allow you to raise your handlebars.  All it takes is a large allen wrench.

Also, I've always read that with the ball of your foot on the pedal, you should have a very slight bend in your knee when pedal is in 6 o'clock position.  If you pedal flat-footed, then full extension might be correct.

Congrats, Specialized makes nice bikes and the Stumpjumper is a classic!
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How are your hands positioned?  Rolled back on the grips so there is a sharp angle from your hands to your forearms? You want to grip your bar so the back of your hand runs flat to the back of your arms.

You could also have too much weight forward, and that's putting excessive pressure on your wrists. Adjusting your bars to the rear so you sit a little more upright might help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My hands would go numb on the Giant EscapeII because I had the palmswells angled the wrong way. Once I adjusted those to keep my wrists in line I would be able to go much further before wrist discomfort occurred.

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry to hear this and condolences. Wish I had something more meaningful to share. That's awful.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Im probably one of the few guys in my riding group under a cardiologists care ...hits real close to home...my condolences
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My cardiologist loves the fact that I ride.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#40]
New pedals. Shimano M520L.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing that bothers me is that 22 year old Belgian Pro Cyclist Daan Myngheer died on Monday night after suffering a heart attack while competing in the Criterium International.
I used to ride with a guy named John P. John set the "Hillier Than Thou": record time for 50 year old. Hillier Than Thou is a 100 mile race with over 14,000 feet vertical. 3 months later John had quadruple bypass surgery!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine does too after I dropped 60 pounds between visits..he barely recognized me ,,he's tested me for everything a few years ago so I'm pretty much good to go..mine main issues were brought on by obesity
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree with the above.  It is paramount to keep your hands inline with your arms.

Another pointer, concentrate on keeping your elbows bent all the time.  This will absorb some of the shock your wrists take.

Also, work on your core strength (sit-ups, etc) so that your core helps holds up more of your upper body weight.

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 6:45:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Race Day!!!!

Finishing up some coffee.  Getting ready to get packed up and head out by about 7:15.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Race Day!!!!

Finishing up some coffee.  Getting ready to get packed up and head out by about 7:15.
View Quote

Pedal strong answer hard !
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I can say that you never rise t the occasion.  You default to your level of training.

I got in the 3 laps I wanted to, for a total of 44 miles.  BUT it took my 5:17 of ride time, and right at the total 6 hours total time to do it.  My climbing legs are just not there yet, and it showed.  Lap 3 felt more like a bike walk than a bike race, and I was fighting cramps for the whole lap.

And, I had a stupid fall.  I was trying to get off the trail for one of the fast guys, and couldn't get my foot unclipped in time. . Down I went right in front of him, causing him to run into my back wheel.  He was concerned I was hurt, but I was pissed off that I wrecked and held him up.

Fun trail, except for that up hill rock garden right at the top of a climb about 3/4 of the way through a 13 mile lap, so you're (or at least a schlub like me) is gasping hard when you hit it.  Thank God they have a sissy line around the outside.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I can say that you never rise t the occasion.  You default to your level of training.

I got in the 3 laps I wanted to, for a total of 44 miles.  BUT it took my 5:17 of ride time, and right at the total 6 hours total time to do it.  My climbing legs are just not there yet, and it showed.  Lap 3 felt more like a bike walk than a bike race, and I was fighting cramps for the whole lap.

And, I had a stupid fall.  I was trying to get off the trail for one of the fast guys, and couldn't get my foot unclipped in time. . Down I went right in front of him, causing him to run into my back wheel.  He was concerned I was hurt, but I was pissed off that I wrecked and held him up.

Fun trail, except for that up hill rock garden right at the top of a climb about 3/4 of the way through a 13 mile lap, so you're (or at least a schlub like me) is gasping hard when you hit it.  Thank God they have a sissy line around the outside.
View Quote

You'll crush it next time. It sounds like you did well to me. You had fun and no one got hurt, right?
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Agree with the above.  It is paramount to keep your hands inline with your arms.

Another pointer, concentrate on keeping your elbows bent all the time.  This will absorb some of the shock your wrists take.

Also, work on your core strength (sit-ups, etc) so that your core helps holds up more of your upper body weight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys nailed most of it. I went out for six miles of riding today and followed your advice per bent elbows, straight wrists and found my bike seat slanted slightly forward. I adjusted the seat level and also bought some impact pro mechanix gloves.  I have no wrist pain this time. Thanks, gents.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You'll crush it next time. It sounds like you did well to me. You had fun and no one got hurt, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No serious injuries that I am aware of.

Just my pride. [

I have my next 6 hour on May 7th.  Not sure how much riding I will actually be able to do before then as the new job will keep me busy during the day, and kids will keep me busy at night.

I think I might have to suck it up and slap the lights on and start riding once they are in bed.  Even an hour from 8 - 9 will help out tremendously.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You guys nailed most of it. I went out for six miles of riding today and followed your advice per bent elbows, straight wrists and found my bike seat slanted slightly forward. I adjusted the seat level and also bought some impact pro mechanix gloves.  I have no wrist pain this time. Thanks, gents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top