Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 55
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Did 116 miles on Saturday in 5 1/2 hours, knocked out the first 100 in 4:38 - fastest century I've ever done.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Might be riding solo in Dupont this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Wish I could join you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wish I could join you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I could join you.

Yeah man, we'll make it happen soon.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wish I could join you.

October is pretty jammed solid with 2 different camping trips with the boy.

I hoping to be able to get out at all.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]
winds 20+ out of the south...guess I'm lucky that's about the strongest I've faced all summer...almost got off and walked the bike home
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did 116 miles on Saturday in 5 1/2 hours, knocked out the first 100 in 4:38 - fastest century I've ever done.
View Quote

sweet!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
winds 20+ out of the south...guess I'm lucky that's about the strongest I've faced all summer...almost got off and walked the bike home
View Quote

Supposed to be pretty breezy here today...10-15 with gusts to 25. Thankfully the wind doesn't bother me as much on my bent.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Since Kansas showed me I need to work on hill climbing, I went out today and did 9.3 miles on some of the local hills.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my first flat today after 750mi ...fortunately I was near the house. If it had been earlier in the ride I would have been screwed.   What do you carry for such emergencies?
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Extra tube/tire and a CO2 kit/pump?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got my first flat today after 750mi ...fortunately I was near the house. If it had been earlier in the ride I would have been screwed.   What do you carry for such emergencies?

And plastic rim lever dealios X3

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok...first time changing it took about 15min...lot easier on the kids bike..I've got the levers I just need the co2...and some practice
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much the above except 2 levers, 2 tubes & 2 CO2s (for road rides).

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#16]
New tube went flat on the first ride...Taking it in to have it looked at
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone should create an arfcom Strava club.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like the old one on Strava, or the newer one?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, never even thought to look.    
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol...thought you were joking or i would have told you....
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Alphajaguries knows about this from other threads but have recently joined the ranks with my first real bike. Upgraded from the WalMart mountain bike about a month ago and loving it. Started with that to make sure I'd stick with it and been riding several times a week, more if possible, since. Funny story time - my first "ride" after 30+ years of not being on a bike was nearly to my neighbors mailbox and back before I said "fuck this".

Firmly stuck in the 15-20 mile ride distances on the local bike path, and haven't quite worked up the courage to go out on the open road but I'm working towards it. So I'm a total bike noob but loving it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Alphajaguries knows about this from other threads but have recently joined the ranks with my first real bike. Upgraded from the WalMart mountain bike about a month ago and loving it.

Firmly stuck in the 15-20 mile ride distances on the local bike path, and haven't quite worked up the courage to go out on the open road but I'm working towards it. So I'm a total bike noob but loving it.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/g2_zpsagi0cpr0.jpg
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/g1_zpslkt2zlpx.jpg

View Quote

Congrats and nice bike!!!  

Hybrids are my preferred style of bike and are great for beginners and people who won't be doing really long and fast rides or riding technical terrain.  15-20 miles is a pretty respectable distance for a hybrid so keep it up!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Alphajaguries knows about this from other threads but have recently joined the ranks with my first real bike. Upgraded from the WalMart mountain bike about a month ago and loving it. Started with that to make sure I'd stick with it and been riding several times a week, more if possible, since. Funny story time - my first "ride" after 30+ years of not being on a bike was nearly to my neighbors mailbox and back before I said "fuck this".

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/g2_zpsagi0cpr0.jpg
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/g1_zpslkt2zlpx.jpg

View Quote

I don't like lots of cars either...I'm far enough out in the country where I can get nice quiet 2 lane roads..some of the roads don't have center line so what little traffic there is will usually give you a wide berth..In a 45min-1 hr ride I might see 6 cars..I found a spot where I'm comfortable and I ride that area all the time
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#24]
So after my trip this past weekend, I can definitely say I'll be building one of these fuckers ASAP. Thoughts? Honestly, I question the durability of PVC, and would prefer it be steel or aluminum so I could lock my bikes to it while on trips.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Anybody done Zwift yet??...I figure I'll probably put my bike on a trainer this winter...If I can virtually race against others that might be a lot of fun
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Capitol Trail. Richmond to Jamestown and back.

https://www.strava.com/activities/424016653
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Did 15 miles yesterday in under an hour. (59:20). 3:56min/mile avg, 15.3mph avg, 24.3mph top speed and just over 500feet of elevation change in both directions.

First time I've sustained less than 4min/mile for an entire ride and broken 15/hour plateau.

Lowered my seat post a scooch and tried riding out of the saddle a couple times on some steep hills. I'm sure that's goofy for a hybrid bike but I wanted to give it a go.

Also took the bike into the shop for a 30day adjustment.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Standing pedaling work out your muscles differently than seated.  It is also easier on the knees.

I try to do it as much as I can.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Standing pedaling work out your muscles differently than seated.  It is also easier on the knees.

View Quote

Do you all think something like THIS could be helpful for getting a better understanding of how I'm riding/improving?

I use the Roadbike app on my phone and this is offered by them/integrates with the software.

I'm realizing I don't know what I don't know about riding. I see the strava routes for 100 miles and it's like #holyballs. Plus I like gadgets so if there's some sort of training benefit so much the better.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Do you all think something like THIS could be helpful for getting a better understanding of how I'm riding/improving?

I use the Roadbike app on my phone and this is offered by them/integrates with the software.

I'm realizing I don't know what I don't know about riding. I see the strava routes for 100 miles and it's like #holyballs. Plus I like gadgets so if there's some sort of training benefit so much the better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES

I use cyclemeter and Jarv sensors, both the speed/cadence and a heart rate monitor.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

6 miles in to 100 my chain snapped and got wound up in my rear brake.  Ow.
View Quote

Shit sandwich.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#34]
So barely a month after graduating from a WallMart crappy mountain bike to a Giant Escape 2 hyrbid I'm toying with going all in on a road bike or perhaps, should I hit the lottery, a Cyclocross bike.

My Evernote notebook on "bike gear" is rapidly filling up with spandex, energy gells, hiviz arm warmers and road bikes

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#35]
so what do you guys do when it gets too cold? Its my first season on a bike..I'm coming up on 1000mi since June and I want to keep going (get better) thru the winter..I got a deal on a magnet cycleops..I don't have any meters/or computers...doesn't look like indoor training would be fun at all..not looking forward to it
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I need to set a date for next year to do a century.

Do it on my hardtail with slick tires, or see about borrowing a road bike?  What say you guys?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So barely a month after graduating from a WallMart crappy mountain bike to a Giant Escape 2 hyrbid I'm toying with going all in on a road bike or perhaps, should I hit the lottery, a Cyclocross bike.

My Evernote notebook on "bike gear" is rapidly filling up with spandex, energy gells, hiviz arm warmers and road bikes

View Quote

It makes BRD look cheap.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
so what do you guys do when it gets too cold? Its my first season on a bike..I'm coming up on 1000mi since June and I want to keep going (get better) thru the winter..I got a deal on a magnet cycleops..I don't have any meters/or computers...doesn't look like indoor training would be fun at all..not looking forward to it
View Quote

Get dedicated cold weather riding gear.

I still need to get some shoe covers.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get some cold weather riding gear. It doesn't have to be cycling specific...just wear layers.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Tired of wind noise and not being able to hear people that ride with me speak, I decided to try Cat-Ears on my helmet.

Wow!  It's amazing how much better I can hear!

OK...they may look a little goofy, but it's well worth hearing what's going on around you instead of wind noise.

Oh, and I am in NO WAY associated with the company...I just like to pass on recommendations of good products.

Cat-Ears

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Having done both, it depends.  The road nazis will tell you it can't be done, so you may have to do it just to prove something.  If you're lean and have good bike fitness, an MTB with slicks is robbing you of free speed every pedal rev.  Getting and staying low also takes significant effort in terms of equipping and riding.  Gearing may eventually become an issue too.  My fastest time on my MTB was just under 5:40 for 111 miles.  I had used the premium Ritchey Tom slicks as narrow as I could get them, a slammed track stem with drop bar ends (couldn't reach the brakes from the drops ), and had a 48/38 on the front.  And the suspension locked out.  It still sucked because the weight disadvantage is very real over miles long false flats.

Just borrowing someone's bike and moving the seat post up/down won't cut it either.  You should rent or buy and really customize your cockpit.

If, however, you're a lantern rouge type, it's a wash coming down to ride quality because you're going to be slow nomatter which bike you choose.  More supple tire options for road bikes, better low gearing for a long hill on the MTB, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to set a date for next year to do a century.

Do it on my hardtail with slick tires, or see about borrowing a road bike?  What say you guys?

Having done both, it depends.  The road nazis will tell you it can't be done, so you may have to do it just to prove something.  If you're lean and have good bike fitness, an MTB with slicks is robbing you of free speed every pedal rev.  Getting and staying low also takes significant effort in terms of equipping and riding.  Gearing may eventually become an issue too.  My fastest time on my MTB was just under 5:40 for 111 miles.  I had used the premium Ritchey Tom slicks as narrow as I could get them, a slammed track stem with drop bar ends (couldn't reach the brakes from the drops ), and had a 48/38 on the front.  And the suspension locked out.  It still sucked because the weight disadvantage is very real over miles long false flats.

Just borrowing someone's bike and moving the seat post up/down won't cut it either.  You should rent or buy and really customize your cockpit.

If, however, you're a lantern rouge type, it's a wash coming down to ride quality because you're going to be slow nomatter which bike you choose.  More supple tire options for road bikes, better low gearing for a long hill on the MTB, etc.

I have not been on skinny tires since about 1988.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

I hate indoor training, rollers is a bit more fun.  When I lived in Tulsa I used to ride year round, so it is possible.  The three things that always killed me were hands, ears and the crotch.  Get some good gloves.  For the ears I always just wrapped a bandanna under my helmet. Also I switched to more mountain biking so there was less cold wind.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It makes BRD look cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes BRD look cheap.

No kidding.

This is my wallet as I surf through road bike and clothing webpages:

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
One ride on Vittoria or Veloflex tires, in a pair of $150 bibs, heat-moldable shoes or on Di2 and you'll never be able to go back.  You simply find a way to make more money or spend less on everything else.  

Join us....
View Quote

Holy shit..I just spent the last 6 months riding in tennis shoes, t-shirt and gym shorts..
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No kidding.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70745
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes BRD look cheap.

No kidding.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=70745

Get a pair of bib shorts.

SO MUCH BETTER than regular shorts.

Hell, when I total up how much I have spent on bike stuff over the last year, I'd have one hell of a nice AR with optics and ammo.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
One ride on Vittoria or Veloflex tires, in a pair of $150 bibs, heat-moldable shoes or on Di2 and you'll never be able to go back.  You simply find a way to make more money or spend less on everything else.  

Join us....
View Quote

I have made sure that the owner of the shop I go to knows not to let me test ride his Pivot with XTR Di2.

Well, at least not on the trails.  I did ride it in the parking lot.

HO
LEE
CRAP

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA- I live in South GA
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the guys told me last Sunday that it was going to be his last ride of the year because it was getting too cold.

It was 60.

What a pussy...
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top