Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 55
Posted: 4/27/2013 5:36:12 PM EDT
A place for us bike guys to talk bikes, gear, training, races and good ole fun rides.

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Went 17 miles today over 1:10...

It's kind if hot and I didn't eat enough this morning. Went through 2 bottles of water, my lame ass probably needed one of those bottles to be Gatorade and a freaking Gu packet, I was hurting lol, weak!

Arms and ass didn't hurt as much lol!

Morning HR: 67 (used to be 48...)

Got some work a head of me and about 30lbs...
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Did ~52 miles on the road bike. Did some small/short climbs (1-2 miles, 2-9% grades), and a bunch of pace lining on the flats. Didn't check my Garmin, but I think we averaged ~17 mph. It was 99.7 degrees when we got back to my car!! Thank God, I wore my head cover today, or I would've been crispy up top!!

Cramped up bad, at about 40 miles. Thinking my new BP med may be the culprit. Had a hard time breathing, too. Heart rate was ok, 140-151 on the flats, 160-165 climbing. Not too bad for the breathing problems, I guess?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
5 mile commute to work at a shade under 25 minutes. Forgot my gloves, I was a little cold
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I only got in 15 miles. I was going to do 30 miles but I didn't have time and had to get my pick my daughter up 30 miler will have to wait until next friday

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Got in 17 miles Friday on the mtb.

Trying to get myself ready for a 24hr Memorial Day weekend.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds like a good ride !!! Fellow MTB'R here.. What trail will you be riding ?

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a good ride !!! Fellow MTB'R here.. What trail will you be riding ?

Dark Mountain
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Thurs- 33mi,
Fri- 31mi.
Today- 0mi.

Almost hit a cottontail rabbit yesterday, again. Stupid creatures jump right in front of your path.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Bike and trail pic:

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bike and trail pic:

http://i45.tinypic.com/5a2fjm.jpg

Nice ride! That looks like a smooth trail, I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bike and trail pic:

Nice bike !!! Dark Trail looks like a great ride. I'm in good shape and have done a 50 mile endurance race but a 24 hr race ??    I THINK NOT

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thurs- 33mi,
Fri- 31mi.
Today- 0mi.

Almost hit a cottontail rabbit yesterday, again. Stupid creatures jump right in front of your path.

I've had a coyote run along side me for about 5 mins once...

See some odd stuff out there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I finally bought a road bike about 8 weeks ago. It's taking a while to get my butt used to the saddle. I rode 14 miles on Friday with about half of the ride being a 3% grade. It took me about 55 minutes, including a short break at the halfway point. The computer showed about a 14.6 mph average. I love it, but I will be glad when my ass is a little more conditioned for riding on the road bike saddle.

I have signed up for a MS ride in September. I have committed to riding 124 miles in two days. It seems like a reasonable goal to work toward.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bike and trail pic:

That's at a junction of 3 trials.  It's a little rooty, and they have added some rock gardens in.  Combine that trail with the other 2 in that area (OVT and Warrior's Creek) and you have the best MTB are within an hour of my house.

There is another one that is making a push for the title, though.  Moore's Springs Trails.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I finally bought a road bike about 8 weeks ago. It's taking a while to get my butt used to the saddle. I rode 14 miles on Friday with about half of the ride being a 3% grade. It took me about 55 minutes, including a short break at the halfway point. The computer showed about a 14.6 mph average. I love it, but I will be glad when my ass is a little more conditioned for riding on the road bike saddle.

I have signed up for a MS ride in September. I have committed to riding 124 miles in two days. It seems like a reasonable goal to work toward.

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thurs- 33mi,
Fri- 31mi.
Today- 0mi.

I've had a coyote run along side me for about 5 mins once...

See some odd stuff out there.

I've had a pack of 7-8 yotes no less than 10 yards from me a couple times during early morning rides.

Last year I rode right next to an owl that was overlooking a small field. Very cool to see up close.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Rode mine about 250 the other day in the mountains.

Only had to stop for gas twice...
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bike and trail pic:

That's at a junction of 3 trials.  It's a little rooty, and they have added some rock gardens in.  Combine that trail with the other 2 in that area (OVT and Warrior's Creek) and you have the best MTB are within an hour of my house.

There is another one that is making a push for the title, though.  Moore's Springs Trails.

How often do you get flats in NC? In central/southern AZ tubless/tire sealant is a necessity, IMO, due to all the thorns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rode mine about 250 the other day in the mountains.

Only had to stop for gas twice...

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bike and trail pic:

How often do you get flats in NC? In central/southern AZ tubless/tire sealant is a necessity, IMO, due to all the thorns.

I haven't flatted in 8 years or so since I went tubeless.  Still carry the tube, CO2, and multi-tool just in case.

And compared to AZ, ANYTHING we have looks smooth, even Pisgah.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I started bike riding this month, and I'm out of shape, but I have ridden 100 miles this month, and should have another 30 before the month is over.  I'm setting a goal of 175 miles next month.  

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I started bike riding this month, and I'm out of shape, but I have ridden 100 miles this month, and should have another 30 before the month is over.  I'm setting a goal of 175 miles next month.  

Riding is a whole different kind of shape. Takes time to build up real noticeable gains in endurance and power.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Who here follows a fairly structured program or has/have had a coach before?

I stared off trying to do it myself... Had no idea what I was doing and was doing way too much and not making much progression. Decided I needed to learn from someone that knew what they were doing. This was during the Lance Armstrong era and who was his coach* and had a business staffed with coaches? CTS. So I signed up on the poor college student plan and got hooked up with a great coach, a former BMX racer turned roadie/MTB'er. He was also a World Champion in the MTB for age group. Taught me a TON (coached for a little over a year). He got promoted and I'd no longer be able to be coached by him so I left CTS and forged on my own.

Now that I'm getting back into this I'm doing it on my own and refreshing my memory. Kind of doing a combo CTS/Joe Friel. I like the structure of a thought out training plan personally

*Carmichael while questionable was never really LA's coach, maybe in his early days before meeting the good Doctor...
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Thread needs more Strava!!!!!

Havent ridden in a month. still sitting at just under 1000 miles for the year.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thread needs more Strava!!!!!

Haven't ridden in a month. still sitting at just under 1000 miles for the year.

I am sitting around 800 or so since I started back riding last year about this time.

My goal is to do 1000 within the 2014 calendar year.

I don't use Strava since the GPS in my phone has issues while on the trails, so I use my old Sigma bike computer and upload the info to MapMyRide.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#27]
What is this Strava you all are talking about? Downloading software?

Either way...

MHR:67
Weight:206.6

Only went 11 miles today, my ass was killing me at first but I got used to it and just kind of be bopped around my neighborhood exploring. Nothing fancy today, mostly because I am not capable of fancy right now...

Week totals:
Hours: 2:17
Miles: 28.7
Trainer: 30 mins

Shit is funny, I used to ride around my city in one ride, my 4 hours training ride were around the city and would average 20mph over 80 miles and my HR would be in Zone 2 (Endurance Miles for CTS) the entire time...

Oddly enough, I have never ridden 5 hours nor a Century... go figure...

ETA:

And so far I haven't wanted to shave my legs lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is this Strava you all are talking about? Downloading software?

Either way...

MHR:67
Weight:206.6

Only went 11 miles today, my ass was killing me at first but I got used to it and just kind of be bopped around my neighborhood exploring. Nothing fancy today, mostly because I am not capable of fancy right now...

Week totals:
Hours: 2:17
Miles: 28.7
Trainer: 30 mins

Shit is funny, I used to ride around my city in one ride, my 4 hours training ride were around the city and would average 20mph over 80 miles and my HR would be in Zone 2 (Endurance Miles for CTS) the entire time...

Oddly enough, I have never ridden 5 hours nor a Century... go figure...

ETA:

And so far I haven't wanted to shave my legs lol

Strava is an app that not only tracks your ride, but allows you to compete with others that have ridden the same route.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Did around 37 miles today, with a group of about 20 people. Was supposed to be a moderate paced ride, but it ended up being super slow. We stopped a couple of times, and the pace was painfully slow. There were a few times I wouldn't even have to pedal, except for a couple revolutions, then coast for a bit.

I did however, take the BH, with my new Reynolds R2 wheels, and so dar, I love 'em. They made that stiff as G5 ride a lot nicer, and when we did a STRAVA section up a short hill, I could feel the difference from my Cosmics.

I can form an ARFCOM STRAVA club, if everybody wants one, and the site will allow it. I've got a premium membership, so it's no problem to set one up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#30]
This makes me feel like a wuss.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#31]
26 miles, 90 minutes, 17.3 mph/avg today.

It's too early to already be 100° outside.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's incredible that he came upon two Gila Monsters in two days... Thx for sharing.

---

Here's a similar blog entry from a guy who rode from Prescott to Phoenix on a rigid singlespeed MTB. Link w/ lots of pics.

link fixed
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's incredible that he came upon two Gila Monsters in two days... Thx for sharing.

---

Here's a similar blog entry from a guy who rode from Prescott to Phoenix on a rigid singlespeed MTB. Link w/ lots of pics.

Link failure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#34]
So I was telling my wife that I have dropped a touch over 2 pounds, down to 206 from 208.8 last week. And she gets mad at me because I can gain and lose weight at ease.

I said yeah, I can but look at what I do...

You actually have to put forth the work and not just sit there and think about it...
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I ride to work on Tuesdays and home from work on Fridays.  12.5 miles each way on a crappy old mountain bike in an hour give or take 5 minutes.  Oddly enough, my Friday ride which is "uphill" is usually the faster of the two (165' elevation gain).  It's the only moderate intensity cardio that I do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Just finished a field test to find my LTHR...

Get back and the wife says, "I don't see how riding your bike 3 miles can be all that hard"...

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just finished a field test to find my LTHR...

Get back and the wife says, "I don't see how riding your bike 3 miles can be all that hard"...

I went out and did hill repeats, was back in 30 minutes.

Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#39]
OK so that was rough, I couldn't even finish the 2nd field test, just ran out of gas...

1st test- 9:15 AvgHR: 185
2nd test: 7:56 AvgHR: 185 (Hit the wall about 1/4 mile short...)

So my LTHR is 185 and my MaxHR so far is 190...

Both my actual MaxHR and LTHR are above the estimate for age and way above what Joe Friel has for a LTHR for my age which I knew it was. I honestly believe my LTHR is a touch higher but I am not in shape enough to reach it so for now it is what it is...

I used to TT at what is currently my MaxHR lol

It hasn't been too long, well maybe 6 years or so...

Once I get back in shape I always liked using "A" Mountain as a bench mark, I can't remember what I have climbed it in before, some where in the 6 minute range iirc...
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 11:02:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I rode 15 miles today.  There was a slow group, and a casual group.  Normally there are speed groups ranging from 15mph to 20+.  Recently a cyclist died (not cycling related), so the group was heading to a party to celebrate his life.  They said they were going to take it easy, so I went out with them.  When I showed up, I had the only hybrid, everybody else had nice road bikes.  They said they were going to take it easy, so off we went.  

It turns out easy to them was about 17-18 miles per hour.  I drafted behind somebody, and I could manage (barely).  There were about 40 of us, so we didn't all make the traffic lights, but when they hit a light, the stragglers would sprint to catch back up.  I knew I couldn't sprint any faster, so I got towards the head of the group so I wouldn't get left behind.  I was happy to catch my breath at the few traffic lights we hit.  I'm also glad it was only 7.5 miles out.  I couldn't have kept the pace up much longer.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 4:38:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So I was telling my wife that I have dropped a touch over 2 pounds, down to 206 from 208.8 last week. And she gets mad at me because I can gain and lose weight at ease.

I said yeah, I can but look at what I do...

You actually have to put forth the work and not just sit there and think about it...

Our wives must be sisters People get mad at me because I can eat what I want. But- I tell them the same thing. You should see what I put my body through between weight lifting and biking

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I rode 15 miles today.  There was a slow group, and a casual group.  Normally there are speed groups ranging from 15mph to 20+.  Recently a cyclist died (not cycling related), so the group was heading to a party to celebrate his life.  They said they were going to take it easy, so I went out with them.  When I showed up, I had the only hybrid, everybody else had nice road bikes.  They said they were going to take it easy, so off we went.  

It turns out easy to them was about 17-18 miles per hour.  I drafted behind somebody, and I could manage (barely).  There were about 40 of us, so we didn't all make the traffic lights, but when they hit a light, the stragglers would sprint to catch back up.  I knew I couldn't sprint any faster, so I got towards the head of the group so I wouldn't get left behind.  I was happy to catch my breath at the few traffic lights we hit.  I'm also glad it was only 7.5 miles out.  I couldn't have kept the pace up much longer.  

Back in the Nav I went for a ride with the guy that got me into cycling. He had a new Bianchi, I was using my buddies monster of a MTB with knobbies and all. I could hear the wind catch every single knob on the tires...
My buddy was usually a distant figure way ahead of me... We were riding around VA beach area. He killed me! My ass started to hurt so bad that I couldn't even sit on the seat any more, had to stand and ride the last 1/4 of the ride...

I rode with him on that damn MTB a few more times around VA beach/FT. Story (?) and he always killed me! Good times but man, what I wouldn't have given for a road bike and proper shorts at the time...

I'd get my revenge when he would PT with me though. 6 sets of 40 bar dips with 6 sets of 10 pullups then into the pool for 1 hour of laps
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#43]
MHR: 75 (Finding my LTHR really taxed me...)

Did a recovery ride, keep the HR low and went around the block for 45 minutes. The best part is when my wife and boys got home. My oldest wanted to ride with me, got on his nice blue 'Pirate' bike and we went around the block for 15 minutes! I was impressed he did as well as he did. I need a MTB to make those rides easier to do with him

ETA: oh and I gave the bike a nice washing. I was washing once or twice a month before, kinda forgot how... Degreased the chainrings/chain/cassette and man does it look nice now! Little spray polish on the frame and it was like new

Then I went and got some new tires, Gatorskins, they've changed there tread pattern I see. My old tires have been sitting on it for a long time and had some areas of break down...
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Since this is a bike thread, I need suggestions on a front light.  This will be used for riding when it may become dusk, not riding at night, so just need one so other people can see me, I don't need to see the road in total darkness.  Any suggestions?  I was planning on spending 40 or less, but I don't mind spending more.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Did a recovery ride, keep the HR low and went around the block for 45 minutes. The best part is when my wife and boys got home. My oldest wanted to ride with me, got on his nice blue 'Pirate' bike and we went around the block for 15 minutes! I was impressed he did as well as he did. I need a MTB to make those rides easier to do with him

ETA: oh and I gave the bike a nice washing. I was washing once or twice a month before, kinda forgot how... Degreased the chainrings/chain/cassette and man does it look nice now! Little spray polish on the frame and it was like new

Then I went and got some new tires, Gatorskins, they've changed there tread pattern I see. My old tires have been sitting on it for a long time and had some areas of break down...

Are your road tires a chunk of change like our MTB tires ??? Man !!!!!!  it's the price of a car tire

Link Posted: 4/30/2013 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Roughly $50 a piece for training tires.

I have older racing tires that were $50 each... I don't know what they go for now or even if they make them now. Continental Attack/Force racing set.
Link Posted: 4/30/2013 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Since this is a bike thread, I need suggestions on a front light.  This will be used for riding when it may become dusk, not riding at night, so just need one so other people can see me, I don't need to see the road in total darkness.  Any suggestions?  I was planning on spending 40 or less, but I don't mind spending more.

CatEye has all kinds of different models.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are your road tires a chunk of change like our MTB tires ??? Man !!!!!!  it's the price of a car tire

I paid less for my Schwalbe road tires, than I did for my MTB tires.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#49]
State hill climb championship race on Sat. 7 mile cat 1 climb

http://app.strava.com/segments/683356

Olympic tri on Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Put in 40 minutes on the road to tonight. Wanted more but have a headache and feel like I am going to puke.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top